OMG - did I goof?

Beth49

I had a banana with my eggs for breakfast.  I must have screwed up.  I could only eat half because it tasted too sweet and too rich.  If I eat fruit it's only at breakfast. What's the scoop on these?

Hello - me again  :D

The scoop is that bananas are high in naturally occurring sugars which is why it will have tasted so sweet.

Fruit is probably not the best thing to eat in the morning because after having fasted overnight since meal three the sugar in fruit then sends your blood sugar levels soaring & can lead to cravings (& false hunger) later in the day. It'll also send the signal to your brain that it should run on carbs rather than on your stores of fat which is of course preferable. If you must eat fruit (lots of people don't bother) try eating it later in the day...

If you had eggs and a whole or sliced banana on the side, that is compliant, although not the best choice for a meal.  If you mashed the banana into whisked eggs and made paleo pancakes out of it, that is against the rules.

For best results, design all meals to fit the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

Fruit is probably not the best thing to eat in the morning ...

I am a newbie and am following the 7 day plan in the Whole 30 book. The quoted statement directly contradicts the book which had me doing a spinach fritatta, side of fruit and avocado. Can someone clarify?

I am a newbie and am following the 7 day plan in the Whole 30 book. The quoted statement directly contradicts the book which had me doing a spinach fritatta, side of fruit and avocado. Can someone clarify?

It's fine, because that breakfast meets the recommended template of protein, veg and fat before adding the fruit.   For best results, don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

• Moderators

It's okay to have fruit with breakfast, but some people find that they are more hungry the rest of the day if they have fruit then, and prefer to have it with their other two meals.

Archived