Restart Every Monday

Hbombdiggity71

I successfully completed two Whole30s last year and a Whole100 from Jan 1 to Apr 10.  I took about 3 weeks to eat some things I'd been missing and committed to another 30 days on May 4th.  I cannot stay committed this time.  I've had to restart every Monday for 2 weeks now.  Any suggestions to help me stay on plan during really tempting times over the weekends?

I honestly don't have tips but I'm here to say I'm right there with you. I did a full W30 a few years ago and a W55 last year and for the life of me can't stay on track this time. Yes, I know, it's always our choice. So I do take ownership of the bad choices. I don't know why some of us have no trouble doing it several times and then, as you say, re-start every Monday... I'm eager to read tips as well but just wanted to know I feel ya and know it's not as easy as "Just do it." (Unless it is? ;) )

Wow, you have my story, I did 2 Whole 30's previously and Whole 60 last year and a Whole 75 Jan 2nd.  I've been off and on with being "good" since then but can't stay focused on anything consistent.  It's much better for me when I say "Ok, I'm starting ---- and I'm doing a Whole---" then I tend to stick to it.  If I just am hanging out there trying to do "my own thing" it doesn't work well for me!  I'm doing a cleanse in June and then I'll see what's next.  Just thought I would share your struggle, you are not alone.  Maybe others can help you stick to the plan  :)

When you were in an off-roading pattern,  were you compliant style during the week and off-roading on the weekends?  

If so,  I suggest going Cold Turkey as Melissa suggests.

Dallas @ Whole9 says

August 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

If you’re craving carbs (read: SUGAR!), eat fat and protein. Giving yourself sugar is NOT the route to go. But also, adding 1/2 & 1/2 to your coffee won’t make you feel better. We’ve observed in (literally) hundreds of people that “falling off the wagon” with things like pizza and cake only lead to more “falling off”. Get back on the Good Food Train.   

Go  Cold Turkey.

Melissa @ Whole9 says

April 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

It may take a week or two… it may take a month or two. Depends on how bad your sugar demons are, and how you treat them during your Whole30. Dallas likes to say you can’t kill the sugar dragon with willpower, you have to STARVE it. So don’t give in to those cravings during yourWhole30 by using fruit as a crutch… stick it out and it will get better.

Best of luck to you!

Melissa

Ready to Start?

"Now that you have the basic plan, you need to know how to implement it. It’s simple, actually. Start now. Today. This minute. Count out thirty days on your calendar. Plan out a week’s worth of meals, go to your local health food store, farmer’s market or grocer and stock up on things you’ll be eating. And then… go. Cold turkey, just start. Don’t put this off, not for one more day. If you give yourself excuses or reasons to delay, you may never begin. Do it now."

http://whole9life.com/2010/10/whole-30-v3/

MeadowLily, Yes I am completely compliant during the week.  During the week it is easy for me.  When I get to the weekend bad things just happen.  The first week I went to a bridal shower that didn't have any compliant foods I could eat.  I should have eaten before I went or taken my own snacks but I didn't and I cracked.  That led to having a few cocktails later that evening because I had already fell off the wagon.  The second weekend it started with a piece of cheese, then some french fries, then some beers with friends.  It was more of a conscious decision the 2nd weekend but I just can't seem to stay committed this time.

Every time in the past I've been able to honor my commitment regardless of the temptation.  I'm back eating W30 now but know I am going to crack under the pressure again this weekend because it's a long holiday weekend and I have plans with friends to go out of town.

Can you see a clear 30 days in your schedule with no weekend commitments? Can you plan to start your w30 then? This is why it isn't w365, because life gets in the way and makes it hard. Compliant in the week and (mindful) off roading at the weekends is a reasonable way to go on sustainably.

I successfully completed two Whole30s last year and a Whole100 from Jan 1 to Apr 10.  I took about 3 weeks to eat some things I'd been missing and committed to another 30 days on May 4th.  I cannot stay committed this time.  I've had to restart every Monday for 2 weeks now.  Any suggestions to help me stay on plan during really tempting times over the weekends?

I could be completely off the mark here, but I'm guessing this means you didn't go through the reintro process which I think is a big part of managing successful off-roading. As meadowlily often says 'doing what you've always done will get you where you've always been' - which in your case is 'day one'.

I think you need to know how you will react to foods not just physically, but mentally, before you can off road with the type of success that allows you to return to strict whole30 as and when you feel you need to.

I'd suggest that you enjoy your weekend away (you've already made the decision to not remain compliant - and it's a lot to do with positive mental attitude) then, as Hannlib says, look for a 30day window in your schedule to fully commit not just to a new whole30, but to following through with a proper slow roll reintro so that you are fully in control and in a position to know what your wholeHbomdiggity71 will look like going forward.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Right now I'm going to do the best I can and not beat myself up when I off road it.  So basically that means eating compliant during the week and allowing myself a few indulgences on the weekends.  My work out schedule demands that I eat well or else I will not be able to meet my goal of running my first 5k on June 13.  I finished week 5 of C25k last night and feel really good about that accomplishment.  The scale is still moving in the right direction and I just bought some new clothes that are several sizes smaller than what I have been wearing.  Even though I'm not following W30 perfectly, I'm making progress and getting healthier.  My endocrinologist cut my Type 2 diabetes meds in half yesterday so that's one step closer to getting off them completely.  I go to my GP next week and am hoping to get off my blood pressure meds also.

Archived