Start date June 1

Elissa W

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today felt great and for the first time I can remember I didn't feel the need to have a snack at the end of the school day before tackling the admin that takes me a further 2 or 3 hours. Another NSV is that my shoulder injury which has pained me for over a year was pain free today, which I am hoping is no coincidence.

I have started eating potatoes in the last few days and have enjoyed the 'normalness' of them, like someone else said. I had a baked potato today which was very filling.

I hope that week 2 is good for everyone.

Day 8! I'm still cruising along nicely. I had a couple of realizations over the weekend:

• Water, water, water! My need for water has increased substantially and I need to be cognizant that I'm getting enough.
  • Planning for the week makes sense since I need to take food with me to work. But I need to translate that planning for the weekend too.
  • My husband accidentally used blackberries in the Raspberry Walnut Vinegarette and it was SOOOO GOOD!!! I highly recommend the fruit swap, especially for use with the chicken/apple/cucumber salad in the Whole30 book.

My husband generally does most of my food prep because he is well..the cook. I can barely chop vegetables. Forget grilling chicken (how do you use a grill??). So I am very blessed on that front. I have to keep crediting him because I don't think I'd be anywhere near as successful were it not for his support. He just finished up a 28 day (!!!) juice plan yesterday and is gradually adding in the meals that I'm eating. So while he's not technically doing the Whole30, his juices and meals are Whole30 compliant. I'm just excited to have someone else to enjoy the meals I'm having :)

So as I've mentioned before, I've had really nothing to complain about and certainly none of the typical withdrawal symptoms during the first week. In fact, I'm finding I'm falling asleep easier, staying asleep more soundly and waking up more refreshed since as far back as I can remember. I feel GOOD! But...I did have one weird thing happen which may be more attributable to working out than anything else - but I'm curious if anyone else had something similar happen.

Quick background - 3 weeks ago I developed Achilles Tendinitis from Spinning classes. I've also been working out with a trainer twice a week but after the injury, I took 2 weeks off to rest. I started back last week, just with my trainer, to do a modified work out. That night I had soreness in my hips and glutes but nothing severe. I worked out again the next day but by that night and through the next day (Friday) I had so much pain through my hips radiating down to my feet. It felt like my muscles were all seized up as if I was in a constant state of overstretching them. I finally caved and took naproxen (it was what I had on hand) which finally gave me some relief (seriously, sitting/laying down didn't help) and I've been improving over the weekend. Any ideas here? Never happened to me before and would like to avoid in the future if possible.

A few others have posted about having more energy. 

I kept waiting to feel like, super jazzed and crazy. However, I've noticed it's manifested unexpectedly. 

For example, usually when I get up in the morning, I stumble over to the bathroom to pee and then stumble back to bed, just dragging and knowing there's so much to do and not knowing how I'm gonna do any of it. 

Today, my normal sleep in day, on my way back from the bathroom, I stopped to switch out the laundry. Let me tell you the number of times that has happened in my life. I didn't even think about it. I just saw something that had to be done and did it. 

I find it so much easier to clean for more than 5 minutes at a time. I don't have to force myself. It feels like less of a struggle with myself. 

I'm really starting to wonder how much of my diet was making me foggy which was getting diagnosed as depression. I was on various medications for various things over the last 10 years, but stopped everything in January. I've been feeling better since then, but this most recent change is the change I was looking for from medication. I'm bolding that because it was not a change I was expecting. I've always associated "energy" with "caffeinated" or "yet another ADHD medication they're giving me"... this is different. This is the deep-seated, gentle, calm energy I've been looking for. I still have some issues with my anxiety, but it's way, way, way easier to deal with lately. 

Also, my joints don't ache. To be honest, I didn't really noticed they ached at all until they weren't and I was like, oh, that's interesting. 

So there's some NSV for sure!

(ps Not knocking meds or ADHD or anything - ADHD is often misdiagnosed in girls/women. And there are many people who need meds. I still have "as needed" medication for my anxiety.)

YES to ALL of this! Joints, calm energy, even the anxiety. This feeling is indescribable because it's not some super charge of go go go, it's more like, "Oh, this is what it feels like to not be run down and tired all the time." I walk by something that needs doing, and I stop and do it. There's no drama, no need to "make" myself. Just living. 

It's pretty nice. 

Here's to week 2 and beyond! 

So, I read that potatoes were deemed "okay" but is anyone adding them into your daily meals???

Sara82 I had some roasted new potatoes the other night and they were delightful. I'm not adding white potato to every meal, but I haven't felt any negative effects from the roasted or from the hash browns I had a couple times. 

I do recall saying "thank goodness they allow potatoes now" as I ate those delicious roasted ones! 

nanda -

you really don't sound like you're eating anywhere near enough.

i've had to eat a lot more than i expected to.

i did have a thing where i was super stressed for a couple days and could only really have some heated up beef broth in a mug the one day.

i'm keeping a log in the log section if you want to check it out and get some ideas on food. i've been doing fairly simple meals if time is an issue for you.

I love how easy it is to throw together a quick meal on whole30. Today I had some ground beef that needed to be cooked. So I just added random veggies that I had on hand...onion, zucchini, shredded cabbage, and a can of diced tomatoes...cooked it all up and served with half an avocado and still have leftovers for later!

So I've decided to do a 7 day sleep challenge: I started yesterday, and no matter what, I am going to get 8-9 hours of sleep a night, for 7 days, and see what happens. This has made for some REALLY interesting schedule juggling, and robbed me of my quiet early morning time that I love. But it was very interesting yesterday to see the change in both impulse control (how much easier it was to stay away from food I shouldn't be eating) and emotional control (how much easier it was to be patient with my kids during the chaos of the day). So I'm on to day 5 of the W30 and day 2 of the Sleep Challenge :) we'll see where this goes..

I'm with you!! I knew this was going to be tough and that sleep was going to play a major role in success. I actually started going to bed at 10 pm on Day 1. It has definitely helped!  To make things more interesting, I have tinnitus - ringing in the ears, since 1981<<sigh>> - so in order to go to sleep I have kept the TV on with a low volume and the sleep timer. Replaced that with a dark room and "spa music". Seems to be working so far. Fitbit has been reporting that my sleep is over 92% efficient every night so far.

MeGa"gardener"  and Mollycase

The plantain chips were with my lunch. The nuts were an emergency because I was hungry and far from compliant food.

I feel like I am not eating enough but I am just not hungry. I was following the 7 day meal plan from the book. Well at least I did day 1-5. On the weekend I wasnt hungry and then I fell ill so I didnt really eat much.

I actually don't snack in between meals because Im pretty satisfied. Ill post my meals this week to see if there are any changes I can make. 

Thanks for the meal suggestions

WEEEEEEK TWO!!!!

And a huge virtual hug to everyone who made it through that weekend.  Plus, the long promised screenshot of Crimsann in one of her superhero "costumes" to kick the week off with.

crimsanndragon.jpg

YOU. ARE. AWESOME!

BTW - for the mayo, I used the food processor, it came together surprisingly easily. We included it with the veggies inside an omlette on Saturday, kind of replaced the cheese for texture. Looking forward to trying more variations.

Hi All!

...and we embark on week 2!!! Congrats to everyone!

Over the weekend - hubby bailed - it was just too much for him. He is still doing the meals with me and being very supportive, up to the point when he wants a beer or bourbon. Oh well. At least he is "in" on the food and the prep.

And my work buddy bailed - she has a lot of travel this month - we still make each other go to the gym during the day, so I'll keep her around.

Hubby and I biked 14.5 miles on Saturday and hiked 3+ miles Sunday, so that was nice.

Things I did to support healthy choices on my W30:

1. Joined a CSA - Community Supported Agriculture, they deliver 8 items to me fresh from the farm every week, it has me trying new things and keeping food interesting.
  2. Sleep - going to bed at 10, no TV, just calming music. (I have to have noise in the background because of ringing in my ears. Rumor has it, that may go away)
  3. Told Friends - so many of them are checking in with me every few days, great encouragement!
  4. Post here - Y'All are FAB!!!
  5. Subscribe to the 30 days of email, I love the little "present" when I log another successful day! Day 7 - NPH = priceless!
  6. Oh yea - and I stopped smoking too, cold turkey.

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

Food over the weekend also included frittata, I clarified butter - that was kinda fun, egg salad on butter lettuce with radishes and tomatoes, butternut squash soup - making that again, made the W30 sausage but used fresh sage instead - Jimmy Dean has officially been fired! ...And found W30 compliant bacon at the local farm market - well, I think it is, double checking against the list tonight before I cook any of it. But NO sugar!

Ready to CRUSH week 2!

Hi All!

...and we embark on week 2!!! Congrats to everyone!

Over the weekend - hubby bailed - it was just too much for him. He is still doing the meals with me and being very supportive, up to the point when he wants a beer or bourbon. Oh well. At least he is "in" on the food and the prep.

And my work buddy bailed - she has a lot of travel this month - we still make each other go to the gym during the day, so I'll keep her around.

Hubby and I biked 14.5 miles on Saturday and hiked 3+ miles Sunday, so that was nice.

Things I did to support healthy choices on my W30:

1. Joined a CSA - Community Supported Agriculture, they deliver 8 items to me fresh from the farm every week, it has me trying new things and keeping food interesting.
  2. Sleep - going to bed at 10, no TV, just calming music. (I have to have noise in the background because of ringing in my ears. Rumor has it, that may go away)
  3. Told Friends - so many of them are checking in with me every few days, great encouragement!
  4. Post here - Y'All are FAB!!!
  5. Subscribe to the 30 days of email, I love the little "present" when I log another successful day! Day 7 - NPH = priceless!
  6. Oh yea - and I stopped smoking too, cold turkey.

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

Food over the weekend also included frittata, I clarified butter - that was kinda fun, egg salad on butter lettuce with radishes and tomatoes, butternut squash soup - making that again, made the W30 sausage but used fresh sage instead - Jimmy Dean has officially been fired! ...And found W30 compliant bacon at the local farm market - well, I think it is, double checking against the list tonight before I cook any of it. But NO sugar!

Ready to CRUSH week 2!

How do I sign up for the 30 days of emails?? And is it too late for me?  I'm on day 7. :)

Feeling like quitting.  I hate to admit it, but it's true.  So weary all the time.  I am eating enough to stay satisfied, so it isn't that.  Sleep isn't awesome because my son has epilepsy and His motion sensor alarm wakes me if he moves around too much... last night was a very restless night for him.  I know that my wanting to quit probably stems more from being tired than anything, but it doesn't make it any easier to stay-the-course.  Plugging along, I will not quit.  I can do this.  right?  :)

Feeling like quitting.  I hate to admit it, but it's true.  So weary all the time.  I am eating enough to stay satisfied, so it isn't that.  Sleep isn't awesome because my son has epilepsy and His motion sensor alarm wakes me if he moves around too much... last night was a very restless night for him.  I know that my wanting to quit probably stems more from being tired than anything, but it doesn't make it any easier to stay-the-course.  Plugging along, I will not quit.  I can do this.  right?  :)

You got it.  Feeling like quitting and actually quitting are worlds apart.  You can feel like quitting, especially run down on stress and interrupted sleep.  I would likely feel like quitting on something as simple as trying to brush my teeth the next morning if I had that to deal with at night...but a situation like that requires the very best you there is and I'm guessing it might have been a part of your motivation to start this program.  A few days of pushing through might get you closer to that better self.  Every bad night is just another reason to fight to get stronger and more resilient!  

Just coming here and saying it out loud tells me you still have the spark, so don't give up on yourself...we are all going to have those moments and some of us will just drop away and give up.  You are NOT there yet.   

I have no appetite....what's going on?!! And I haven't gone to the bathroom in days.  And I don't have much new energy.  My sugar dragon is in check--not really craving ANYTHING. Im not reading anyone experiencing the same thing.  Days 1-6 I was crusing along just fine....

Will probably do some searching on the forums, but I'm also going to ask my group first cause I like you best...any tips on coping with a sore throat in a fully compliant sort of way?!

This is fiercely annoying because I do not get sick.  Ever.  Hardly.  But I've got that dry scratchy feeling as of this afternoon and for once it's not because I forgot to drink water for a month straight or anything.  I have also found out that my sick co-worker from last week has been hospitalized (totally unrelated to my getting a sore throat so no worries there) and will be out the rest of this week and then is on vacation next week.  Since there are only two of us, this means I will be on the phone more than ever and to add the cherry on top I am scheduled to teach a three hour class on Thursday.

Clearly hot tea is going on the menu five minutes ago and I've no problem drinking it black, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Hopefully I do my usual "near brush with death" where I only get the dry throat and skip all the rest of the symptoms but this week of all weeks I need to be on the offensive.  Oh, and if you think I'm being overly dramatic by describing a common cold as a brush with death you are both entirely correct and entirely unprepared to handle me if I actually get a full blown cold.  ::Cue the theme music from Jaws::

• Moderators

I have no appetite....what's going on?!! And I haven't gone to the bathroom in days.  And I don't have much new energy.  My sugar dragon is in check--not really craving ANYTHING. Im not reading anyone experiencing the same thing.  Days 1-6 I was crusing along just fine....

No appetite is actually pretty common at different points in a W30. You really do need to eat, so unfortunately, you're going to have to continue to make yourself eat your meals, there's not really any other way to do it that I know of. Keep eating three meals a day, the first one within an hour of getting up, and your appetite will come back. It may be helpful to try new recipes. If the blueberry pancakes you made smelled good, maybe something like this would be an option -- it's called a tortilla, but it's really more of an omelette. Try recipes with new and different spices or flavors -- I love The Clothes Make The Girl for that, her spice combinations are great. This Belly Dance Beet Salad is one of my favorites, and I love the flavor that Old Bay seasoning adds in her Oven Fried Salmon Cakes.

For the bathroom thing -- are you getting enough vegetables? (Remember that without any grains, your fiber is coming from vegetables, so lots and lots of vegetables -- bare minimum one cup at each meal, and even better to aim for 2-3 cups or even more at each meal.) And be sure you drink plenty of water too. 

• Moderators

Will probably do some searching on the forums, but I'm also going to ask my group first cause I like you best...any tips on coping with a sore throat in a fully compliant sort of way?!

There are Throat Coat teas -- I haven't tried them, but have seen them recommended to others with a sore throat. Broth is always good -- if you don't have any on hand, it's pretty easy to get a whole chicken and roast it in the crockpot if you have one, then remove the meat and vegetables, throw the bones and organs back into the crock pot with the liquid left from roasting the chicken, and fill the pot with water. Let it cook up to 24 hours, and you've got broth. You can drink it as is (I salt each serving, rather than salting the whole pot of broth), or you can bring it to a boil and put in a beaten egg or two for some extra protein if you have trouble eating meals.

Thanks Shannon, still feeling rough this morning so I'm going to try and duck out at lunch and find that tea.  Luckily I do have a source for broth to tide me over until I could make some, but what a great reminder that I need to add canning some to my summer project list!  I wouldn't have thought of adding eggs to it, but you nailed me as someone who might have trouble eating when sick, so that's gold.

At first I thought maybe today's advice from the stars didn't apply, but if you turn it upside down and consider we are breaking away from the food habits of most of our larger social groups it suddenly clicks with the message of being free from cravings and being rewarded for breaking away.  Mostly though I just wanted to hop on and check in and do my part to help foster our food rebellion!  ;)

People might attempt to talk you into going along with the current group consensus now, but you'll likely break rank to do something on your own. You may try to justify your behavior by blaming it on the present circumstances, but this rebellion is actually your own doing. It's healthier to admit you feel stifled and are in need of the freedom to do as you please. Happily, there's no reason to go along with the crowd today; following your impulsive tendencies will probably be rewarded in ways you can't imagine.

Archived