Starting May 26

pennylane14

It's Day 5! Feeling really good today, well rested and ready to go. Today my plans are to get my 10,000 steps in before the rain hits. Then I need to hit Whole Foods and stock up for the weekend. In the evenings I'm loving watching the French Open Tennis tournament . I love to play and watch tennis. Hope to hit the courts with my husband this weekend.

I think the food prep is getting easier as time goes by....today looks like:

Meal 1: leftover ground beef with marinara sauce over sautéed veggies

Meal 2: protein chicken salad over a bed of greens with balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 3: something on the grilled with a side of sautéed veggies

I'm off to Whole Foods to stock up for the weekend.

Have a great day!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 today! Last night I had my first food dream too! I couldn't stop eating tortilla chips. I woke up so sad that I had failed after only 3 days, and then realized it was only a dream! 

Yesterday morning was rough, just with a head ache and not feeling well, but by the afternoon I felt great! I went for a run and had a really yummy taco salad for dinner. 

This weekend I am going to my parents (4 hours away). Luckily, they are on board with whole30, and although not doing a whole30 right now, all the meals will be compliant or easily tweaked to be compliant for me. 

Happy Day 4!!! 

No food dreams for me last night; actually didn't sleep too well.  I really hope improved sleep is one of the benefits that comes true for me with eating Whole 30.

This weekend I plan to pick new recipes for next week and prepare for them. 

I'm very happy it's Friday!!! :D

Happy Day 4.  Is anyone feeling the "Kill All Things" feeling?  Have you seen the Whole30 timeline?  http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ I feel surprisingly good today....no need to kill anything/anyone yet.   If you haven't looked at the timeline, it's a great article outlining what to expect on each day of the Whole 30.  

Well, had my first food dream last night. I was sitting at a stoplight and had a Nilla wafer with Nutella. And felt so bad. These dreams are crazy!

Ha!  I haven't had a food dream yet, but I've had them in the past and they are so crazy!  Do you like Nilla wafers? Or Nutella?  When I've had my dreams it's food I don't even care about.

What is everyone's tactic for surviving the weekend?

Cook like crazy!  Go to farmer's market.

I had a great moment last night.....I made "tacos" without buying any corn chips or tortilla's for my children.  And they didn't complain!  We ate our tacos in lettuce leaves from the garden with crock pot pulled chuck roast, shredded carrot, red pepper, guacamole, jicama, and cumin-lime dressing.  They were delicious.  The chuck roast made a ton of taco meat and is very tasty.  It was so easy!  https://paleorestart.com/recipes/56 The cumin-lime dressing is from Well Fed 2.

I got my 10,000 steps in yesterday and am almost halfway there today already.  (I took the dog for a morning walk.)

Have a great day!

snowflower, your dinner sounds delicious!  I clicked on the link but I needed to sign up.  Do you recommend joining the paleo start site? 

I read the Whole 30 timeline, but haven't since I started the Whole 30.  And no, I don't feel the need to Kill All Things either.  Hooray!

Happy weekend to you.  The farmer's market is a great idea.  I'll try to go to one, too.  if not, Trader Joe's and Marlene's Market for sure!

snowflower, your dinner sounds delicious!  I clicked on the link but I needed to sign up.  Do you recommend joining the paleo start site? 

Ugh!  I'm so sorry.  I wanted their cookbook after hearing good things about the recipes.  The cookbook that comes with the membership is excellent.  Not everything is Whole30, but there are some good recipes and they have some good resources for quick and easy "paleo" meals.

I also started my Whole 30 on May 26th.  I decided, after spending the weekend with my family and daughters, that starting it on a week when my girls are with their dad would give me chance to get over the icky feeling before they get back. 

I have to say that 3 days in, other than a little headache, I feel pretty good.  I am avoiding the scale but I can tell that the bloating on my middle, which was causing me all sorts of discomfort, has almost completely left me. 

I am really looking forward to the next 27 days!!

Jackie

Hello all!

I am new to the forums, new to the program and started my first Whole30 on March 26th!

Day 4 and I'm feeling groggy and hazy and definitely having a desire to Kill ALL of the Things!! After reading the timeline, I can tribute all of the above to my (very unwise) Eat ALL of the Things binge before I started my Whole30.

On the positive side, I too am noticing a diminishing of belly bloat and less hunger between meals. Also, consciously learning to decipher what is real hunger and a what is a craving is a big step for me.

Day 5: Meal 1 - 2 Egg muffins (eggs with ground pork, spinach, red, green and orange pepper, cooked in a muffin tin) and 1 slice of honeydew melon. Black iced coffee.

Meal 2 - chicken salad with avacado, chopped tomato and red onion, over a tossed salad. 2 hard boiled eggs. Red wine vinegar and oil dressing.

Meal 3 - Cajun shrimp with sautéed red pepper and onion over Zoodles.

My goals:

Weight loss

Prevent recurrence of diverticulitis

Better overall health

Welcome Newbies.

Day 4 and I'm feeling groggy and hazy and definitely having a desire to Kill ALL of the Things!! After reading the timeline, I can tribute all of the above to my (very unwise) Eat ALL of the Things binge before I started my Whole30.

Ha!  lol

Day four just about over. A bit more irritated today. Wishing I would acquire a taste for coffee without stevia soon!! Still wanting gum lol!! That has truly been my challenge! Love the meals just miss chewing my gum and having stevia in my coffee! I can do this!

Happy Day 5!

I hope everyone is still going strong.  Day 5 is one of those days where you might feel like sleeping all day.....if you can -- take a nap!  I'm going to try to get one in after lunch.

I'm heading to my circuit training workout now and then to the farmer's market.

Day 6 for me. Yesterday I had an awful craving attack ( oh how I wanted potato chips ) I had a hard boiled egg with a few olives instead and dove into my jigsaw puzzle. Whew crisis averted and all is well. Our farmers markets are due to open next week....looking forward to them. At one of the markets a guy who sharpens knives is always there...boy do my knifes need sharpening given all the chopping I'm doing these days.

Today is pretty low key for me...heading out to a card making class (yes I'm one of those people who hand makes all of my greeting cards) this morning. This evening my husband and I will be cheering on our beloved Chicago Blackhawks hoping they make it into the Stanley Cup Finals.

Today...

Meal 1: eggs with a medley of veggies

Meal 2: protein chicken salad over a bed of greens

Meal 3: compliant Italian sausage on the grill served with compliant marinara sauce and veggies

Have a great day everyone!

Day 6 for me. Yesterday I had an awful craving attack ( oh how I wanted potato chips ) I had a hard boiled egg with a few olives instead and dove into my jigsaw puzzle. Whew crisis averted and all is well. Our farmers markets are due to open next week....looking forward to them. At one of the markets a guy who sharpens knives is always there...boy do my knifes need sharpening given all the chopping I'm doing these days.

Today is pretty low key for me...heading out to a card making class (yes I'm one of those people who hand makes all of my greeting cards) this morning. This evening my husband and I will be cheering on our beloved Chicago Blackhawks hoping they make it into the Stanley Cup Finals.

Today...

Meal 1: eggs with a medley of veggies

Meal 2: protein chicken salad over a bed of greens

Meal 3: compliant Italian sausage on the grill served with compliant marinara sauce and veggies

Have a great day everyone!

YAY! Regarding averting a crisis.

Are you a runner?  How are you getting in all those steps??  I'm having to make some life adjustments to get to 10,000 each of the last 3 days.  I do circuit training 3-4 days a week and I don't get any significant steps in with that so I'm having to walk the dog more than once a day and I got on the treadmill for the past 2 days to get there without having to walk up and down the stairs at 8pm to get them in before I call it a night. 

I've had a great day of eating so far today.....

Meal 1:  coffee with coconut milk, scotch egg (from Well Fed), cole slaw

Meal 2:  meatza (from Well Fed) with black olives, roasted broccoli and cauliflower with ghee, sweet potato hash

Meal 3:  undecided.....I may go out with family, but dread restaurant eating when I'm doing a Whole30.  I always feel like what I can make at home will be tastier.

Day 5 with a nice sleep in!  Made brunch of spinach and tomato frittata (from the W30 book) with a side of avocado, olives, and watermelon.  About to get my workout done though, for some reason I've somewhat dreaded my workouts this week.  I always feel good once I've done them, but I really seem to need to coach myself to start and do the entire workout.  lol.

Last night I went to happy hour with coworkers.  I was very hungry and was still hungry after eating the half-sized Greek salad with chicken minus the feta and the dressing.  And drank only water which led to frequent trips to the bathroom.  It was VERY hard being there with all the bar food around me, but I was there to catch up with my friends (even though I kept plotting what I'd eat once I got home!).  Leftover turkey and veggies saved the hunger pangs and the sparkling water with watermelon chunks made me feel better about not having wine at the bar.

Happy Saturday everyone!  Gotta go workout now!  :D

Hi everyone! Nice to see all of your updates. I don't have much to report except that everything's going pretty smoothly for me (and this is a really intense work stretch so fortunately no huge bumps in energy or mood!). I think it probably helps a lot that I don't really have time to struggle with cravings, etc - I get in my compliant meals, check into the forum now and then, and otherwise am not thinking about W30 a whole lot (the first time I did it, I thought about it ALL the time).

Hope you all have a terrific rest of your weekend - 

Welcome, new folks, and sounds like everyone is having a great weekend! I made cashew hummus from the Whole9 site today and. Oh. My. Word. It is DELICIOUS. I added sundried tomatoes and almost don't want to take this to my bible study tomorrow! Hurray for finding an easy thing to bring to parties and such. 

I felt a little tired on Thursday evening, and honestly haven't gotten a lot of sleep over the last week, but today I feel like the Energizer bunny. Did laundry and went to Costco (Ummm, can we start a convo about all the great Whole30 things at Costco?!), walked around for three hours outside with a friend shopping, then came home and cooked ALL THE THINGS. Still have so much energy, whereas before, the walking around in the heat to shop would have taken it out of me. 

Another thing i noticed--previously on such a shopping trip, I would have suggested a stop for frozen yogurt or some other treat. At one point on our trip, I suggested we stop at Starbucks for some coffee and water since i was just plain thirsty, but felt no need for a treat. And it occurred to me--I was never hungry for the item or in need of it. It just seemed like something that should be included, or like I should celebrate the weekend by having fro yo. Instead, I focused on spending time with my friend as a celebration and realized my need for the treat (which I would start to crave almost as soon as I would think of it) was totally unfounded.

It's my fourth Whole30 and I'm still learning things about myself and this program. Love it. 

Oh also, if you've found yourself with ingredients that are "food without brakes" (nuts or nut butter are in this category for me), find a recipe that will use up ALL the ingredients. For example, I used my cashews for hummus and have the rest set aside for a cashew cream sauce, and my almonds are set aside for almond milk. Not tempted to snack on them now that they have a "purpose". 

Day 5 coming to an end. So, I went shopping at Whole Foods yesterday and got a ton of ingredients to cook meals from Well Fed 2. I made stuffed peppers last night and ate leftovers for breakfast. Rotisserie chicken and yam for lunch. Then, I had short ribs for dinner which I slow cooked all day. I used the ingredients from Well Fed 2, with some modifications. I love a slow cooker, it makes me feel like I can cook! I was sleepy today, so I took a little nap and felt much better. I'm going to try to go back to my Jillian Michels workout tomorrow. Hopefully, my energy level improves. 

Happy Day 6! (Happy Day 7 for some!)

I did some research and found an item I could have at my local Mexican restaurant (fajitas with no marinade, raw veggies dipped in guacamole), but was relieved when my kids said they'd rather eat at home.  So we came home after our afternoon activities and had what I call a "clean out the fridge" dinner.  It's a hodgepodge of leftovers and random items, but has become a tradition that I always enjoy.  I LOVE not letting anything go to waste.  I had leftover beef "tacos" from earlier in the week, jicama slices with lime and chili powder dipped in guacamole, steamed broccoli and raw red peppers.  Now my fridge is almost empty! Today will be a cooking and shopping day.  I did buy a pasture-raised whole chicken at the farmer's market yesterday and was hoping I could make that for dinner tonight, but it still feels frozen solid.  That may need to wait until Monday.

Today's meals are a big ?????

Meal 1:  My last scotch egg  :( (my daughter has discovered that she likes them too, so a batch doesn't last me as long as it used to), a plain hard-boiled egg, mustard, leftover sweet potato hash, steamed broccoli, coffee with coconut milk.

Meal 2:  ??

Meal 3:  ??

My kids are with their dad tonight, so maybe I'll splurge and get a grass-fed beef tenderloin!?

Enjoy your Sunday.

It's my fourth Whole30 and I'm still learning things about myself and this program. Love it. 

Thanks for sharing your old and new insights with us newbies pennylane!  I made a note to try the cashew hummus when I got to a potluck in a couple of weeks.

The topics for the whole 30 daily email messages seem to be coming on just the right days.  I had a very hard time going to sleep last night.  Not "falling asleep" but actually going to sleep.  I was in bed, but couldn't seem to turn off the electronics and actually close my eyes.  Maybe because I didn't feel sleepy, but knew it was getting way past my usual bedtime.  I guess it's time to be more mindful of a healthy bedtime routine.  ;)

Hi Everybody,

Wow today is Day 7 for me….who would of ever thought I'd make it this far.  Yeah for me!  Today I went with my husband to the Art Institute and browsed around for a good 3 hours (trying to get my steps in while the weather is so yucky outside).  Always enjoy getting a little culture.

Things i've noticed over the last week; my rings are really loose, my skin is clear and fresh looking, my energy was good most days although still not sleeping the way I'd like, best of all not a single negative digestive episode..woohoo, I'm amazed at how i did not snack at all this week (I was the queen of snacking, I'd rather snack than eat a meal).

Today….

Meal 1: hard boiled eggs over a bed of greens with balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 2: leftover compliant italian sausage with peppers and onions and some compliant marinara sauce

Meal 3: pork tenderloin with green beans.

Have a great day!

YAY! Regarding averting a crisis.

Are you a runner?  How are you getting in all those steps??  I'm having to make some life adjustments to get to 10,000 each of the last 3 days.  I do circuit training 3-4 days a week and I don't get any significant steps in with that so I'm having to walk the dog more than once a day and I got on the treadmill for the past 2 days to get there without having to walk up and down the stairs at 8pm to get them in before I call it a night. 

I've had a great day of eating so far today.....

Meal 1:  coffee with coconut milk, scotch egg (from Well Fed), cole slaw

Meal 2:  meatza (from Well Fed) with black olives, roasted broccoli and cauliflower with ghee, sweet potato hash

Meal 3:  undecided.....I may go out with family, but dread restaurant eating when I'm doing a Whole30.  I always feel like what I can make at home will be tastier.

No I'm not a runner….just lots of walking usually between 4-8 miles per day.  Walk the dog twice a day (except weekend then it's my husbands turn) and then my power walk through the forest preserve.  I'm really lucky to have the preserve within walking distance of my house.  Also enjoy bike riding and playing tennis.  All of which have been very difficult because the weather has been to bad these last 2 days,  Oh well hope to hit the trails again tomorrow.

I have been working with a personal trainer 2 times a week for the last several years.  I decided to postpone those sessions the first couple of weeks on my Whole 30 and concentrate on the food and cardio work.

Archived