Starting May 26

pennylane14

Today I didn't eat enough for breakfast. And I knew it. I was hungry about 2 hours later, but knew I could hold off until lunch. 

A little before I ate lunch, Pizza Hut called my company, and because of a big mix up with orders, they had 20 pizzas they wanted to give us. If we didn't want them, Pizza Hut would have to throw them out. Of course my boss accepted them, and I was the one sent to pick them up. They smelled SO GOOD. And I was so hungry. 

I brought the pizzas back to work and everyone ate them while I thoroughly enjoyed my spinach and strawberry salad with grilled chicken (dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar), a baked sweet potato topped with coconut oil, and a piece of leftover tilapia from dinner last night. Plus, my stomach feels so much better than I would feel if I had eaten that pizza!!! 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally I was going to start my Whole 30 on June 1st and this would have been my Day 2.  I am soooooooo glad I started on May 26th because my day 2 ended with a headache and I didn't really feel that great that day and that means I would not have felt as great as I did today, my day 8 AND my birthday!  Great gift to myself to give me a week of Whole 30 and daily working out so that I could feel this good going in to my 45th birthday! 

I'm very motivated to continue on for the duration of my Whole 30. Even considering making it a Whole 45 to celebrate my birthday!  ;-)

I've enjoyed every recipe I've made from the Whole 30 book.  Tonight was steak salad with cilantro lime dressing.  Yum!

So proud of you charaelyse!!

Me too!

Just wondering, is anyone drinking juice?  100% juice mixed with sparkling water??

Not me.  I've never been a big juice drinker and like my water plain.  I do drink kombucha that I do a second ferment with fruit, but no juice. 

I'm not certain that this is a "compliant" way to use fruit juice.  I know the rules say we can have it to sweeten salad dressings or marinades or sauces, etc.  But not sure drinking it is an acceptable use.  I've heard of other people on the forum putting whole fruit into their water, but never juice.  This might be a good question for a moderator!

Happy Day 9.

Today is a lunch day with no microwave or refrigeration so I cut up lots of veggies (carrots, sugar snap peas, red pepper, cucumber) and will take some of my crack oops I mean cashew hummus for dipping.  Then I'll eat a piece of cold roasted chicken leftover from last night's dinner.  It may be impossible to sit down and eat it all at once so I'm a little nervous about that.  I'll graze when I can.  It won't be ideal, but I'll stay compliant.  

Happy Birthday, LaurieW!  Have a great day!  Do you have any "treats" planned for yourself?

Originally I was going to start my Whole 30 on June 1st and this would have been my Day 2.  I am soooooooo glad I started on May 26th because my day 2 ended with a headache and I didn't really feel that great that day and that means I would not have felt as great as I did today, my day 8 AND my birthday!  Great gift to myself to give me a week of Whole 30 and daily working out so that I could feel this good going in to my 45th birthday! 

Happy birthday!! Such willpower to do this over Whole30!

Shocking: had ANOTHER food dream last night. This time I ate a granola bar. Ha. 

In other news, I happened to look at the ingredients for the Trader Joe's frozen chicken strips I have in my freezer, and sadly they have sugar and potato starch. I haven't eaten them this round, but was going to use them in a salad next week. Whomp whomp. 

I haven't been getting as much sleep as I normally do--not feeling tired when bedtime rolls around. Sigh. 

Happy Birthday, LaurieW!  Have a great day!  Do you have any "treats" planned for yourself?

Thank you snowflower!  I was treated on my birthday will lots of sweet happy birthday wishes and notes and pictures from the students at the school I work at.  They asked me if I'd be having birthday cake last night and I told them yes because I didn't want to explain Whole 30 the kindergarteners.  :P  But I truly had no desire for cake or ice cream or prosecco or anything other than what I had planned for dinner or what was in my Whole 30 compliant refrigerator.  Yay!

Happy birthday!! Such willpower to do this over Whole30!

Thank you pennylane!  It was a big decision to do the Whole 30 and we had a few big things to schedule around.  We'll be going out of town end of this month and for a couple of weeks next month.  We didn't want to put it off any longer than we had to (didn't want to lose the motivation to start!).  I think the willpower is the hardest when I'm around other people and food I'm not in control of.  I have a few social events coming up and I'm already thinking I'm bringing my own party in a cooler! 

• Administrators

I'm not certain that this is a "compliant" way to use fruit juice.  I know the rules say we can have it to sweeten salad dressings or marinades or sauces, etc.  But not sure drinking it is an acceptable use.  I've heard of other people on the forum putting whole fruit into their water, but never juice.  This might be a good question for a moderator!

If you want to add an ounce or two of compliant juice to a large glass of water as something different or just to freshen up water, you certainly can but we don't recommend making it a habit.  Also you'll need to check your juice for added sweeteners as those would make it non compliant.

Day 9 went pretty well for me.  I had Melissa's Chicken Hash for breakfast (very tasty and a nice change from veggie frittatas), leftovers for lunch, and ground beef (Asian flavor option) with stir fried bok choy and other vegetables.  After school we had a celebration for our volunteers.  It was a Rootbeer Float themed party with floats and snack foods like caramel popcorn and cheesy poofs.  I helped to set up and just seeing all that J U N K made me glad I brought an apple and raw nuts to enjoy before the actual event.  Grateful I was able to be there with something in my tummy and not feel like I was going to dive headfirst into anything noncompliant.  lol

My husband leaves for an out of town business trip tomorrow for the next two weeks.  He's got one week of W30 under his belt and will push through the best he can to stay compliant.  I know he likes the progress he's made and how he feels so he is highly motivated to stay on program.  As am I!  :)

Originally I was going to start my Whole 30 on June 1st and this would have been my Day 2. I am soooooooo glad I started on May 26th because my day 2 ended with a headache and I didn't really feel that great that day and that means I would not have felt as great as I did today, my day 8 AND my birthday! Great gift to myself to give me a week of Whole 30 and daily working out so that I could feel this good going in to my 45th birthday!

I'm very motivated to continue on for the duration of my Whole 30. Even considering making it a Whole 45 to celebrate my birthday! ;-)

Happy Birthday!!!! Hope you had a great day!!!

Last night I had a dream that I accidentally used noncompliant balsamic vinegar in my salad and had to start my whole30 over again!!! I was so sad in my dream that I cried!!!

I'm very excited that tomorrow is day 10!! Double digits!!

I'm finally starting to feel the benefits after a week long "hangover/carb flu".

Waking up easier in the morning, before the alarm!

Actually hungry shortly after I wake up (even though eating breakfast still makes me sort of nauseous)

Able to easily wait 4-5 hours between meals

Less of a crash at 2-3 in the afternoon

Noticing a little bit of extra room in my jeans and less roundness in my face.

All good things!!!

I'm very excited that tomorrow is day 10!! Double digits!!

I'm finally starting to feel the benefits after a week long "hangover/carb flu".

Waking up easier in the morning, before the alarm!

Actually hungry shortly after I wake up (even though eating breakfast still makes me sort of nauseous)

Able to easily wait 4-5 hours between meals

Less of a crash at 2-3 in the afternoon

Noticing a little bit of extra room in my jeans and less roundness in my face.

All good things!!!

ALL good things!  Yay for you!!

And thanks for the birthday wishes!  :-)

Happy Day 10, Everyone!  Happy Day 11, Jean!

According to the timeline, days 10 and 11 are the hardest days and the days that a lot of people fall off the wagon.  So hang in there!

Yesterday was weird for me, lunch-wise, but I only ate compliant food.  I had to graze from 10-3 and never had time to sit down for a meal.  I did learn that my body doesn't like it when I don't follow the meal template.  When I got home at the end of the day, I felt a little nauseous and even when dinnertime rolled around I wasn't hungry and nothing sounded good.  I finally ended up eating at 7pm even though I didn't truly feel hungry.  Surprisingly, I felt better after eating.  

I'm having trouble falling asleep.  And my face is a big pimply mess.  But my belly is amazingly flat!  And yesterday's workout was much better than Monday's as far as strength and endurance go.

Have a great day.

Happy Day 10 (and 11)!  So happy to check in here in the mornings to see activity here.  I really enjoy reading about your days/experiences.  Always gives me food for thought for my own experience with the Whole 30 since it's my first time.

Thanks for the reminder of how these two days may go for us.  It's end of the week and I haven't been falling asleep at my usual time so I think that is what is going to make them hard for me.  lol.

I have had zero cravings for my old no brakes food/drink.  But I am finding that I'm having a hard time putting the brakes on eating the delicious W30 recipes I'm making.  Time to be more mindful of feelings of fullness and to remind myself that I should look forward to savoring the leftovers for another day.

I've noticed some pimples, too.  Small and not a problem, but I thought my skin would improve and therefore no pimples.  Hmmm, wonder what's the trigger?

Have a great Thursday, friends!  I'm off to take my husband to the airport!

Happy Day 10, all! My food dreams continue (I feel like I should write a picture book of these dreams, they're so random). This time, I was visiting friends' parents in a cabin and ate pancakes and cheese enchiladas without realizing it. Again, woke up so distraught that I'd "broken" it. 

Was making a recipe with almond butter last night and was reminded how that is a no-brakes food for me. After a few too many spoonfuls from the jar, I was nauseous the rest of the night. Ugh. It's going in the trash.

Last night at a birthday party, a friend told me that I looked great--so yay for compliments! I also feel like my hair has gotten thicker? Has anyone else noticed that? I know the hair on my head currently is related to the food I ate months ago, but still, maybe something about the oil I'm producing is different (ok, gross, enough talk about oil our bodies produce, ha!)

Not going to lie, I have a tough weekend ahead of me. Tonight is a happy hour with a  bunch of lady friends, tomorrow is a movie in the park followed by a concert, and Saturday is an all-day birthday picnic in the park followed by a festival. Luckily, I know to bring my own sparkling waters and snacks, and most of my friends are so used to me doing a Whole30 or not drinking for whatever reason that they won't bat an eye. But there are the occasional unsupportive people who love to poke at the no-drinking.

Example: last night I was drinking water (was so thirsty from bootcamp that only water sounded good, yay!) and a friend (who always rolls her eyes at Whole30, but leads a very healthy life herself--vegetarian, doesn't drink beer, runs marathons, etc.) pointed to my water glass and said "what is this? why are you not drinking? are you doing another weird thing?!"

I'll see her tonight and my response will likely be "It doesn't bother me, so why does it bother you?"

Ugh. She really is nice, this is just one thing that she can't wrap her head around. 

Ok, that was long. Stay strong, everyone!

Y'all, have the most random craving for a baked potato, slathered in butter. WHAT?! 

Better than a craving for a brownie, I guess. 

Also, completely confused the cashier at Whole Foods with the purchase of a rutabaga. He thought it was a radish. I told him I had to look up a photo of rutabagas before buying, ha!

Finished day 11. All is going well and I'm continuing to add my exercise back in. I'm finding meal planning and prep is getting easier, how does everyone else feel about it?

Have a great evening!

I'm very motivated to continue on for the duration of my Whole 30. Even considering making it a Whole 45 to celebrate my birthday!  ;-)

I've enjoyed every recipe I've made from the Whole 30 book.  Tonight was steak salad with cilantro lime dressing.  Yum!

Happy birthday Laurie!

Day 10 coming to an end. I felt slightly more energetic today. I had a restless sleep last night because I'm accustomed to taking unisom. But, I thought I'd try sleeping without it. I worked out today and I was surprised at my endurance, yah!!  I'm looking forward to the two week burst of energy. Keep up the good work everyone. You all inspire me!!

Made it through day 10!! A beautiful thing happened halfway through my workout at the gym today - I wasn't exhausted!!! I actually felt quite peppy throughout 75% of my workout!! I crashed about 3:00 this afternoon... I think it might have been because I had planned on lunch at 1:00 but I unexpectedly got busy at work and didn't end up eating til about 2:30.. After I ate I could hear a nap calling my name!!!

Other than that, feeling pretty good!!! Ready to get over the second of the hardest days and (hopefully) on to some smooth(er) sailing!!!

Archived