Ren's Post-Whole30 Log

Renee Kosowan

POST WHOLE 30 Adventures

*For the month of September my goals are:

-Get back into the gym and lift weights 3 days a week

-Run 3 days a week

-No Caffeine all month! (no coffee, tea, decaf coffee)

September 1, 2012

*I had a great sleep last night! Woke up at 7:27 (before the alarm) and I could have gotten up… but I didn't want to do homework so I rolled back over to sleep some more.

*Finally getting to weigh myself was ok. I was mildly disappointed but knew it was not all about the exact number lost. I felt so much better not knowing the number. Just feeling slimmer and looking slimmer was much more satisfying than the actual number.

**I forgot to log my food as the day went on. I know it was all good except I had 3 Larabars – of be PEANUT Variety! I didn't feel ill or any adverse effects from the peanuts. These used to be my favorite before the whole 30 and I felt I was missing them sitting in the back of the pantry. So I overdid it. Funny thing was they did not taste as good as I remember. So that is a plus.

*Managed a 10k run in 1:07. Not my fastest by far but it felt good after not running much. Legs were sore from Friday's Trainer workout.

September 2, 2012

*Another great sleep (I think it is back on track as I woke up again just before the alarm).

*Met a girlfriend at the ‘stairs' this morning for a good butt kicking. Felt great and the BF and I want to make that a regular Sunday morning tradition.

*Day 2 with no caffeine. Mild headache around 2pm. Feeling a little ‘nappy' as well.

Pre-Workout(7:30am):

-Banana

*Memorial Stairs x7 in 33 minutes.

Breakfast(10am):

-Grande “Refresh†tea

-1 Scromlet (1/4 green pepper, 1/8 red onion, 1/2 green onion, 1 strip bacon, 1/4 small tomato, 3 eggs)

Lunch(3pm):

-1.5 cups of leftover Shrimp, Pepper, Onion Stirfry

Dinner(7pm): *Dinner at BF's Family's place – They understand I don't eat gluten but did not understand COMPLETELY cutting out everything else. Hard to explain but they were somewhat supportive.

-Red Wine – 1 glass

-Bison/Buffalo mixed burger – Homemade with only eggs to bind

-
Energy Gluten free Bun
– I really could have gone without this but they went searching for this just for me. It is tough when I went from gluten free in March to no grains in August. I understand them not being able to keep up with my frequently changing diet.

-Burger condiments: mustard, onion, tomato, sautéed mushrooms (in
butter
)

-big helping of Compliant salad – mixed greens, pear, avocado, tomatoes, peppers, onions, (dressing was walnut oil, apple cider vinegar)

-Smashed small
Yellow Potatoes

-1/4 cup: Homemade – Cherry Frozen Yogurt – Contained: 50% Cherries, 50% (
greek yogurt, regular yogurt
) 1 tablespoon of
honey
(for the whole batch)

Snack(1pm):

-Peanut Larabar

Water Intake:

-50oz

*We ate dinner at 7pm, dessert at 8pm. I felt mildly bloated in my stomach, but overall I felt as if I had put on 5lbs just with dinner alone. Stomach was slightly uneasy but not as bad as I would have expected. I know this was not protocol to bring back so many items in one meal, however this was a rare occasion that I was not expecting to come up. After talking with the BF we are focused to be 100% compliant for the upcoming week and retry adding back maybe one item next weekend. I did notice I did not sleep as well last night, partly because our neighbors are yahoos and partly because of the Alcohol and Sugar. We recognized that this was not what we wanted to feel like on a regular basis and slowly will get the family on board with no grains and no dairy. But for now I am ok with how the day went yesterday. (LIVING AND LEARNING!)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to this side Ren, glad to see another post w30 logger.

Our exercise plans are the same liftx3, runx3 :)

I also planned to highlight my non w30 stuff in red, but I forgot about it...it works well..I might start.

So green is good exercise and red is not w30 foods? > excellent colour coding :)

This is great, and helpful to those of us still working through the whole 30 but aren't sure what day 31 might bring. I know that regardless of my specific results a week from now, I've already got a handle on some results that I'm not willing to turn away from.

I'll be taking a little less than a month off between whole30 1 and 2, so I'm going to log my time in the middle to see what I am really doing and eating before going back for more... Next time through, budgets allowing, I'm going to whole 30 with crossfit. I kind of don't care as much about my results this time through, but I'm already note rested in comparing my results of this with the results of the next one lol

September 3, 2012

*Day 3 Post Whole30 & Day 3 w/o Caffeine

*It was a little more difficult to wake up this morning. I did not get out of bed with the same energy as I have recently. (Thanks a lot alcohol and sugar and dairy) But I feel very optimistic going forward. Oh and my calves burn like crazy from yesterday's stair workout. (I love that burn)

*Energy was fairly low all day. Nothing tragic just no ‘skip in my step'. Just kind of a ho-hum holiday Monday.

Breakfast(9:30am):

-3 eggs fried in EVOO

-2 slices of orange (orange divided 8 ways to share with BF – Not a fan of citrus fruits but trying to embrace new things)

-1tsp of hot sauce

-1/2 Green Pepper - Raw

Lunch(1pm):

-1 Can Tuna

-6†Cucumber cut up

-1/2 Orange Pepper

-3/4 Avocado

*all mixed together for a tuna salad sort of effect

-Banana

Dinner(6pm):

-Spaghetti squash

-Spaghetti sauce (homemade with tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, onion)

-1 Chorizo Sausage (GF & no sugar added as per the butcher at the farmers market)

Snack(8:30pm):

-Frozen Mangos with Lite Coconut Milk

Water Intake: 56oz

September 4, 2012

*Day 4 Post Whole30 & Day 4 w/o Caffeine

*Sleep was a little better. I forgot my magnesium before bed and I believe it plays a factor into my sleep. I find that without it smaller noises wake me up a little easier. I am still able to fall right back to sleep really quickly which is a major improvement.

*Back at work today and ready for the routine of it all. I find being at work much easier to focus on my proper meals, and my schedule etc.

*While heating up my breakfast at work I mindlessly make myself a coffee and drink it. It wasn't until I sit down at my desk to log my food that I realized I was drinking coffee and that I wasn't supposed to! BLAST – starting over tomorrow.

*I had 3 coffees over the course of the day… I just blanked on the first one and then continued to drink them throughout the day. I have made a little sticky note and put it above my computer to remind myself not to drink coffee any more. (I hope it helps)

Breakfast (9am):

-3 Egg Cups (1 whole egg, plus ~1/3 piece of bacon (compliant bacon), shredded zucchini, green onion – in each cup)

-
COFFEE

Lunch(12:15pm):

-Spaghetti squash

-1 Chorizo Sausage (GF & no sugar added as per the butcher at the farmers market)

-Banana

Dinner(5:30pm):

-Apple

-1 Can Tuna

-Spaghetti squash

Snack(9:15pm):

-Almonds

Water Intake: 100oz

September 5, 2012

*Day 5 Post Whole30

*Woke up with my energy back at 5am. (I actually woke up naturally at 4:37!) Workout at 6am with our trainer and feeling great.

*Upper body feels weak after the workout this morning. I probably could have used a better post workout snack.

*Long day but had great energy. Client was late tonight (8-9pm) and they live just on the edge of town.

Pre-Workout Snack(5:30am):

-Banana

Breakfast(7:50am):

-3 Egg Cups (1 whole egg, plus ~1/3 piece of bacon (compliant bacon), shredded zucchini, green onion – in each cup)

-
COFFEE

*Workout with Trainer: Dynamic warm up; upper body weights.

Lunch:

-Large Salad – 2 cups of romaine lettuce, ½ red pepper, 4†cucumber, 2 button mushrooms

-Pulled Pork (no sauce)

-3/4 cup Roasted Garlic Cauliflower

*Run: 5km in 29 minutes (5:45pm)

Dinner(6:30pm):

-1 Can Tuna

-1/2 Avocado

-1/2 Red Pepper

-couple shakes of paprika

-4 Outer Romaine Lettuce Leaves (they were the boat to carry the above mixture)

-Banana

-1 tsp Almond Butter

Snack:

-10am –
Coffee
#2 (obviously my sign needs to be in the kitchen not at my desk)

-10pm – 2/3 tablespoon
Almond Butter
(after my massage client)

Water Intake: 120oz

-10am – Coffee #2 (obviously my sign needs to be in the kitchen not at my desk)

I have a wee confession... I was supposed to give up coffee during my second W30 to cut back on coconut milk(I can't drink my coffee black)... and I started drinking coffee again two days ago!! BUT, only one per day, I was WAY out of control before, 2 or 3 per day!

September 6, 2012

*Day 6 Post Whole30

*Amazing sleep again last night. Just feeling great when I woke up this morning. My skin is clear on my face and I just feel so happy about everything in my life (this is a major step for someone usually depressed and anxious).

*I finally went and had a massage today at 2pm. It was gloriously painful! I wanted to cry but I couldn't because the pain was so good. My RMT hasn't seen me since May and she said I am noticeably smaller than I was before! I was so happy to hear that. Few people have noticed and to hear it come from someone who doesn't know how hard I have been trying is great. I didn't have lots of weight to lose but I did have an uncomfortable amount of pudge on my body that I wanted to get rid of. I am feeling lean and tighter. I hope this continues.

Breakfast(7:30am):

-1 Can Tuna

-1/2 Avocado

-couple shakes of paprika

-3 Outer Romaine Lettuce Leaves (they were the boat to carry the above mixture)

-Red Delicious Apple

-COFFEE

Lunch(12:15pm):

-1 BBQ Chicken Breast

-1 cup Cauliflower Rice

-Grilled Zucchini – 4†(EVOO, salt & pepper)

-1 Naval Orange

Dinner:

-1 BBQ Chicken Breast

-1/2 Red Pepper (Raw)

-1/2 Orange Pepper (Raw)

-3 Button Mushrooms (Raw)

-1 tablespoon Almond Butter

Snack:

-3:30pm COFFEE

-9:45pm Almond Butter

Water Intake: 80oz

Kudos to you for trying to cut back on coffee. I just love the taste of it and can drink it ALL DAY LONG. With or without caffeine. I still drink too much but I do drink it black after my first huge cup with a little coconut milk and some of it is decaf. I still sleep like a rock at night! :)

And congrats on your continued progress. Glad you are feeling so good!

September 7, 2012

*Day 7 Post Whole30

*Had a great sleep again last night. BF came home from work at midnight. (Poor guy worked 8am-midnight and will have to work all weekend too)

*Woke up just before my alarm again this morning. Finally! Workout from 6-7am with our trainer again. He beat the snot out of all of us. Love it.

*Not enough prep during the week + working 2 jobs all week = bad Friday! I have no breakfast and no lunch planned. This results in bad choices. But I am going to do the best I can with the limited options available (all due to my own bad planning!).

*I made it to lunchtime with a very poor breakfast, (still at a calorie deficit for the day) and I would say I was in a much better mood than I would have been 6-8 weeks ago. I didn't kill anyone and this is big progress.

*Had an awesome dinner party at a girlfriend's. She was great and made a PaleoPot recipe for the BF & I. I think our chili was the biggest hit. I stuck to 1 and a half glasses of wine and drank water for the rest of the night. We stayed up pretty late but it was a lot of fun.

Pre-Workout(5:30am):

-1/2 tablespoon almond butter

*Workout with Trainer: Dynamic warm up; lower body weights (heavy).

Breakfast(8:15am):

-COFFEE

-1/4 cup of
Kirkland Signature Trail Mix (
Almonds, Peanuts, Cashews,
M&M's
, Raisins) – Has
bad oils
on it for sure! But I picked out the M&Ms

-Red Delicious Apple

Lunch:

-1.5 cups of Baby Mixed Greens

-1 tablespoon Medium Salsa (compliant)

-3 Button Mushrooms

-1.5 cups of Chocolate Chili http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

Dinner: (Healthy Potluck Dinner Party) – I skipped the Parm Edemame & the brown rice

-1.5 glasses of Red Wine (blend)

-1 ¼ cup Chocolate Chili (I brought this)

-1 cup Chipotle Mango Chicken (crockpot recipe)

-Strawberry and blackberry Spinach Salad (no dressing and as little
cheese
as possible – very finely grated. I shook most off)

-Fruit bowl for desert – Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, green grapes

Water Intake: 120+oz

What is it about getting to Day 31 and beyond that makes it harder to plan? I've noticed a difference for me since I reached day 30. I've been overall compliant yet had a couple of off road things that I wouldn't have dreamed of on Day 1-30...

It sounds like you're doing awesome though. I keep getting energized to continue eating this way every time I go to the gym and have a great workout. After 6 weeks of clean eating I am visibly leaner and have been pushing harder in my workouts more easily. I also have no more pain in my wrist when doing overhead presses and no pain in my back when I deadlift. :)

What is it about getting to Day 31 and beyond that makes it harder to plan? I've noticed a difference for me since I reached day 30. I've been overall compliant yet had a couple of off road things that I wouldn't have dreamed of on Day 1-30...

It sounds like you're doing awesome though. I keep getting energized to continue eating this way every time I go to the gym and have a great workout. After 6 weeks of clean eating I am visibly leaner and have been pushing harder in my workouts more easily. I also have no more pain in my wrist when doing overhead presses and no pain in my back when I deadlift. :)

I agree. 2 weeks ago I was a much better planner. Now I just leave it very last minute and end up hungry.

This weekend we did a big shop and I prepped a bunch of food (probably still not enough). I was able to bring Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner with me to the office (I have to leave straight from work for 3 clients tonight).

I still eat pretty well on the weekends but not being 100% clean I don't feel 100% awesome any more. During the week I eat 100% and then get right back into the swing of things.

That is awesome you are pushing through your workouts a little harder each time. I need to get back into the swing of weights. Tough because each time I go I am so sore for days and it is tough to get back when part of me is still aching. I do love that pain. Slow and steady!

Nicely done for not being much prepared! How good do you feel right now?

Hi Lola,

I am feeling pretty good. The weekends derail me a little, but not completely off the rails. This weekend I did lots of prep work and I feel good about this next week. I have a wedding to go to next Saturday (15th) and I know that will not have compliant food (they are using local food trucks for catering). I am just going to prep my day as much as possible and stay gluten free (I know they have GF options).

Happy to be on this journey every day!

I hope you are well too :)

September 8, 2012

*Day 8 post Whole30

*A pretty crappy sleep last night – due to the wine and late night and no Natural Calm before bed. I did take 2 magnesium citrate supplements to see if those helped as much as the natural calm. Because of the wine I am not sure if I could tell. It was very tough to get out of bed this morning. I just didn't feel awesome. But I think this is the way alcohol will affect my body. I only drink on occasion so it is not the end of the world. I will try to stick to no booze during the week to allow me the chance to get up early for workouts and work.

* So I really do suck at this whole no caffeine thing! Maybe I don't need to cut it out. It isn't horrible for me and I am sleeping pretty well. I am sure there are other things I could cut out that would be better for my overall health. I am getting more discouraged than anything by failing at my goal.

*Had a nice night out with friends to celebrate a birthday. The Cobb salad was great and I should have ordered it without the cheese. But still enjoyable.

Breakfast (11am): - I didn't get out of bed until 10:30am

-1 Tablespoon Almond Butter (this is becoming a problem!)

-1 teaspoon coconut oil

-3 fried eggs

-1/2 red bell pepper

Snack/Lunch?(12pm):

-16oz (original) Almond Milk Latte with sugar free Vanilla flavoring

-Banana with Almond Butter

*30 minute run ~ 5km

Dinner(6:30pm): *Out at National Bar/Lounge

-Ceaser 500ml (drink - Like a Bloody Mary for my American Friends)

-Chopped Cobb Salad – No dress but it had cheese

Water Intake: 64oz + Lots at the bar. Probably 6-8 glasses?

Archived