mayo

I have always hated mayo but I am wondering if the homemade paleo mayo tastes like the store bought stuff or not. I have seen a lot of recipes that I want to use on my Whole30 that use paleo mayo and I would like to try some of them, but I wanted to find out how similar the taste is before I make it

Thank you!!

Guest Andria

I always liked mayonnaise growing up. I would only eat Hellman's, not the Miracle Whip cr*p, which is not even real mayonnaise anyway.

I have not had the commercial stuff in years, but I would definitely say that homemade is much better and fresher tasting.  My tip is to use fresh lemon juice for the acid instead of apple cider vinegar and use light tasting olive oil (not evoo), macadamia nut oil or avocado oil (this one was a little strong for my taste, but others like it)

I think homemade mayo has a more "egg-y" flavor than commercial mayo. Backyard hens' eggs will give it a different flavor than store-bought eggs, IMO.

I like white balsamic vinegar for the acid--it's not as sharp as lemon or ACV.

• 2 weeks later...

It tastes so much better! I'm on my second Whole 30 right now (day 4 meh).  After I finished my first Whole 30, I had some store bought mayo after and it was disgusting! The recipe I use is just: 1 & 1/4 cup EXTRA LIGHT TASTING olive oil (NOT Evoo- it does not taste good with Evoo), 1 egg, a pinch of ground mustard, lemon juice (but I usually omit it) & salt.  I usually make mayo to make it into other things and rarely have just plain mayo.  Usually I add curry powder & fresh garlic or fresh rosemary & garlic and then use those to dip pretty much everything in haha

I actually prefer apple cider vinegar to lemon juice, but I grew up in a Miracle Whip family. ;) Mayo is definitely something you can experiment with! I'd try a basic recipe first, and then you can keep tweaking it to suit your tastes, as is clearly demonstrated by all these suggestions! Even if you don't necessarily want to eat it on its own, I use it all the time for tuna/chicken salad, or as a base for remoulade or salad dressings or dips.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made a double batch of the mayo and it came out very runny. Is there any way to save it?  I would hate to start over and waste everything.  wouldit be safe to use it anyway? Today is Day 1 for me, so I'm a newbie...

Try adding egg yolk.

Worst case, you could use it as a base for salad dressing.

Just a suggestion but make sure the eggs you are using are very fresh to make mayo. And while I use farm eggs from our CSA, I would buy pasturized eggs for homemade mayo to be on the safe side. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just made the mayo in the book and it's very runny. Any ideas what I did wrong? Day 10 and was so looking forward to it.

Not sure what method of blending you are using and that makes a BIG difference. I had so-so luck with mixing in a blender until I found the magic of the immersion blender method. Now I will never make it any other way! It's literally ready in less than one minute. Here's a great link:

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

I'm new and made my batch of mayo last night and it came out fine. I did make sure that I put my eggs (I made a double batch) in a bowl of hot water first because that was recommended. I used extra light virgin olive oil and I used a food processor. Those that said it didn't come out consistentcy-wise may need to use a different mixing method. 

I don't think you can over-mix it?

Archived