Starting May 25th

Guest bfree11

Guest bfree11

Day 74 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: Vanilla siggi yogurt, chia seeds, 2 eggs, black coffee

Lunch: salad with chicken,veggies, 1/2 avocado, nuts, seeds, balsamic & olive oil, kombucha

Dinner: leftover almond flour chicken fingers, sugar-free ketchup, kale, cabbage, carrots, 1/2 kombucha

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga (doing so many poses I could never do before!)

There was a period of time this afternoon where I was really really bored at work. My coworker, who I often mention, decided she wanted to go get a cookie because she was bored too. I playfully asked her if she was hungry or just eating because she was bored. She said, "cookies aren't for when you're hungry, they're for when you want a cookie." She's right, we don't typically eat desserts when we're hungry, we eat them as a special treat for more emotional reasons. I listened to my body and I didn't feel any sort of hunger. I'm no longer linking boredom and eating. I'm slightly tempted to because it's what I've always done, the more days I get under my belt where I don't partake in emotional eating, the more foreign of a concept it becomes. 

My sister reached out to me today to assure me that she'll support me with healthy eating during our upcoming vacation. I've always associated vacation and restaurants with overeating, like I said yesterday. But after talking to her, I really thought about it, and laughed. There's no way in hell I'm giving up that easy. I've been a clean eater for 74 damn days! The only acceptation was my birthday and the junk food I ate made me feel so DISGUSTING that I have no interest in going through it again! I know the kind of meals I eat now. I know how to order in a restaurant. I eat this way because it makes me feel good physically, it's causing me to lose weight, and it's helped me have more respect for myself and my body. A vacation isn't going to end this journey. I won't let it! (and neither will my amazing sister!)

Confidence and patience continue to be struggles for me, but I'm self aware and trying to push myself to recognize areas for growth and attitude changes!

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bfree11

Day 75 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: Blueberry Siggi yogurt, chia seeds, 2 eggs, black coffee

Lunchsalad with chicken,veggies, 1/2 avocado, nuts, seeds, balsamic & olive oil, kombucha

Dinner: BBQ chicken, sweet potato glass noodles, kale slaw, broccoli, goat cheese, white ginger sauce, 1/2 kombucha

Exercise: 1.6 mi run/walk

Woke up early this morning and went on a little run. I wasn't as strict with my running distance today. I just wanted to get out there and get moving. I had a super busy day at work, so I didn't have time to think about food at all. I even considered skipping lunch, but then I reminded myself that doing so would set me up for failure later on in the day, so I made time for food! 

I have been noticing a pattern where I feel like I "deserve" some sort of treat on Friday evenings for making it through the week. I have these thoughts about "treating myself" to something special. Today I talked myself out of it by reminding myself that food isn't the only "treat" out there. There are other ways to unwind after a long week that don't fill you with regret afterward. A friend at work invited me out for some drinks after work. She told me the the bar she was at had a $10 all you can drink deal going on. My immediate thought was "yuck." I hadn't eaten yet and I didn't have any interest in drinking alcohol, so I said no thanks and went home. It felt nice to be invited, but I was proud of myself for not feeling like I "had" to go. 

I went to the healthy restaurant across the street from my house, Fresh Kitchen and grabbed a healthy dinner. I let myself get BBQ sauce on my chicken, a sprinkle of goat cheese, and had some of the white ginger sauce. So, not total deprivation, but I avoided red meat, paleo treats (they offered me a sample and I said, "no thanks, I try to stay away from sugar"), and avocado (since I already had 1/2 of one at lunch). Because I chose to eat clean food, I instantly felt better about myself and my week. I remember the build up of excitement before binging on a Friday night and then the pain and regret that I used to be left with afterward. It was so terrible. Those days are over! 75 days strong!

Guest bfree11

Day 75 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: Blueberry Siggi yogurt, chia seeds, 2 eggs, black coffee

Lunch: salad with chicken,veggies, 1/2 avocado, nuts, seeds, balsamic & olive oil, kombucha

Dinner: BBQ chicken, sweet potato glass noodles, kale slaw, broccoli, goat cheese, white ginger sauce, 1/2 kombucha

Exercise: 1.6 mi run/walk

Woke up early this morning and went on a little run. I wasn't as strict with my running distance today. I just wanted to get out there and get moving. I had a super busy day at work, so I didn't have time to think about food at all. I even considered skipping lunch, but then I reminded myself that doing so would set me up for failure later on in the day, so I made time for food! 

I have been noticing a pattern where I feel like I "deserve" some sort of treat on Friday evenings for making it through the week. I have these thoughts about "treating myself" to something special. Today I talked myself out of it by reminding myself that food isn't the only "treat" out there. There are other ways to unwind after a long week that don't fill you with regret afterward. A friend at work invited me out for some drinks after work. She told me the the bar she was at had a $10 all you can drink deal going on. My immediate thought was "yuck." I hadn't eaten yet and I didn't have any interest in drinking alcohol, so I said no thanks and went home. It felt nice to be invited, but I was proud of myself for not feeling like I "had" to go. 

I went to the healthy restaurant across the street from my house, Fresh Kitchen and grabbed a healthy dinner. I let myself get BBQ sauce on my chicken, a sprinkle of goat cheese, and had some of the white ginger sauce. So, not total deprivation, but I avoided red meat, paleo treats (they offered me a sample and I said, "no thanks, I try to stay away from sugar"), and avocado (since I already had 1/2 of one at lunch). Because I chose to eat clean food, I instantly felt better about myself and my week. I remember the build up of excitement before binging on a Friday night and then the pain and regret that I used to be left with afterward. It was so terrible. Those days are over! 75 days strong!

Guest bfree11

Day 76 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: Siggi yogurt, chia seeds

Lunch: salad with chicken, veggies, 1/2 avocado, nuts, seeds, balsamic & olive oil, kombucha

Dinner: home-made grain-free pizza. Crust: tapioca flour, coconut flour, egg, sat, olive oil, water. with onions, tomato sauce, goat cheese, and parmesan cheese.

Exercise: Hot Power Flow Yoga

I ate a light breakfast and then went to yoga. Halfway through class, I got super duper hungry. I had to run to work afterward to fix a computer problem, which ended up being convenient because I just ate lunch at work. For dinner, I decided that I wanted to make make something kind of "fun." I liked the cauliflower pizza I made a few weeks ago, but wanted to try something different. 

I found this paleo pizza crust recipe online and went to the grocery store. I picked up a bunch of plain Siggi yogurts while I was there. I think I prefer them over the flavored ones because they aren't as sweet.Then I started thinking about pizza toppings. I knew I had goat cheese at home, but I went over to the cheese section to see what else I could find. I ended up with a small container of shaved parmesan to sprinkle on top. While cheese used to be a food without breaks for me, I don't feel as tempted to go wild anymore. Maybe if it were fresh mozzarella, but that's why I didn't buy that! I went for a hard cheese and one that's a little less tempting to eat in excess. As I sprinkled cheese on my pizza, I realized that when you order a pizza, you get a ridiculous amount of cheese per slice. They coat the entire top of the pizza with cheese. At home, you can still enjoy a variation of pizza, but also have the freedom to have more reasonable portion sizes for toppings. 

The pizza was about 12 inches and I cut it into 8 pieces. I put 2 on my plate and then walked away. I wasn't hungry after, in fact, I felt pretty full, but the rest of the pizza was calling to me. I kept trying to make excuses like, "all I had today was a yogurt and a salad, so I can have more pieces." But the bottom line was that even though I was no longer hungry, I still wanted to eat more. But WHY? Well, because I liked the way if felt to hold a slice of pizza in my hand. I liked the taste. I liked feeling like I was having a special meal. I tend to enjoy cooking one more "interesting" meal on weekends and then stick to the simple protein and veggies during the week. 

I knew this was one of these situations where I either go back to an old behavior or I cave and continue with bad habits. I didn't have this issue with the cauliflower pizza because the crust was made out of vegetables! This experience has given me a clear understanding of just how addicted I am to bread-like things. I haven't had the urge to eat more food when I was full in so long because the food I eat doesn't tempt me to do so. I sadly ended up eating 2 more pieces, for a total of 4 pieces before I put the rest away. Holy moly, I felt so full after. I haven't had this gross, full, bloated feeling since I splurged on my birthday. Ew. I wish I had just had some chicken and a veggie for dinner! Lesson learned. 

I don't regret this because I learned that bread-like things still trigger binging for me. That's important information because I often wonder if it's really necessary for me to have it cut out of my diet. After tonight, the answer is yes. For me, it's absolutely necessary to keep bread-like stuff out of my diet if I want to feel in control and not get triggered to overeat. I'm not going to put myself in another situation like this. I really don't like having to rely on willpower when I'm full, but I still want to eat more. It's so hard when I know what the right choice is, but I reaaally want to make the wrong choice! The struggle is real. 

Guest bfree11

Day 76 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: Siggi yogurt, chia seeds

Lunch: salad with chicken, veggies, 1/2 avocado, nuts, seeds, balsamic & olive oil, kombucha

Dinner: home-made grain-free pizza. Crust: tapioca flour, coconut flour, egg, sat, olive oil, water. with onions, tomato sauce, goat cheese, and parmesan cheese.

Exercise: Hot Power Flow Yoga

I ate a light breakfast and then went to yoga. Halfway through class, I got super duper hungry. I had to run to work afterward to fix a computer problem, which ended up being convenient because I just ate lunch at work. For dinner, I decided that I wanted to make make something kind of "fun." I liked the cauliflower pizza I made a few weeks ago, but wanted to try something different. 

I found this paleo pizza crust recipe online and went to the grocery store. I picked up a bunch of plain Siggi yogurts while I was there. I think I prefer them over the flavored ones because they aren't as sweet.Then I started thinking about pizza toppings. I knew I had goat cheese at home, but I went over to the cheese section to see what else I could find. I ended up with a small container of shaved parmesan to sprinkle on top. While cheese used to be a food without breaks for me, I don't feel as tempted to go wild anymore. Maybe if it were fresh mozzarella, but that's why I didn't buy that! I went for a hard cheese and one that's a little less tempting to eat in excess. As I sprinkled cheese on my pizza, I realized that when you order a pizza, you get a ridiculous amount of cheese per slice. They coat the entire top of the pizza with cheese. At home, you can still enjoy a variation of pizza, but also have the freedom to have more reasonable portion sizes for toppings. 

The pizza was about 12 inches and I cut it into 8 pieces. I put 2 on my plate and then walked away. I wasn't hungry after, in fact, I felt pretty full, but the rest of the pizza was calling to me. I kept trying to make excuses like, "all I had today was a yogurt and a salad, so I can have more pieces." But the bottom line was that even though I was no longer hungry, I still wanted to eat more. But WHY? Well, because I liked the way if felt to hold a slice of pizza in my hand. I liked the taste. I liked feeling like I was having a special meal. I tend to enjoy cooking one more "interesting" meal on weekends and then stick to the simple protein and veggies during the week. 

I knew this was one of these situations where I either go back to an old behavior or I cave and continue with bad habits. I didn't have this issue with the cauliflower pizza because the crust was made out of vegetables! This experience has given me a clear understanding of just how addicted I am to bread-like things. I haven't had the urge to eat more food when I was full in so long because the food I eat doesn't tempt me to do so. I sadly ended up eating 2 more pieces, for a total of 4 pieces before I put the rest away. Holy moly, I felt so full after. I haven't had this gross, full, bloated feeling since I splurged on my birthday. Ew. I wish I had just had some chicken and a veggie for dinner! Lesson learned. 

I don't regret this because I learned that bread-like things still trigger binging for me. That's important information because I often wonder if it's really necessary for me to have it cut out of my diet. After tonight, the answer is yes. For me, it's absolutely necessary to keep bread-like stuff out of my diet if I want to feel in control and not get triggered to overeat. I'm not going to put myself in another situation like this. I really don't like having to rely on willpower when I'm full, but I still want to eat more. It's so hard when I know what the right choice is, but I reaaally want to make the wrong choice! The struggle is real. 

This weekend taught me that I need to start being stricter with myself, no matter what the occassion. I know I've been slipping up and snacking when I shouldn't, but this past week we had a whole bunch of dinners out, and I didn't make awful choices, but I let myself make exceptions and justified it. Today, I am officially declaring myself off of dairy. I have had milk/cream 3 times since the end of my 30, and I'm sorry for the TMI, but all three times made me run for the restroom within 30 minutes. However, I have had ice cream and cheese and not had that reaction... but its taught me that I need to limit those as well. I've never had this type of reaction to a milk product before, but my husband has witnesses it all 3 times and he agrees that I need to stay away.

He commented that I fell off the wagon and i told him that starting again tomorrow I mean business. He has the list of meals for the week, we don't have any plans to go out for anything special, I need at least a week with no distractions to get me back on track. Therefore I need to NOT get snacks and work and justify that its ok because I dont have any healthy food with me. I will not starve just because I'm hungry during the workday. I need to make sure I bring salad to work for lunch every day to help keep me full, and I need more fat with breakfast and lunch to last me until dinner. I think my major downfall in the past 3 weeks has been not only allowing myself to snack, but to reach for absolute crap when I have.

I think one of the issues is that I feel somewhat deprived... not of food in general because I've eaten some great things, but I've always loved pizza, i love asian noodles, I love green curry, and I haven't had any because it wasn't whole 30. What I need to do is find the healthy paleo version of it so that way I'm eating well but enjoying myself, I think your cauliflower pizza is something I would love to try out, but I probably won't try the paleo crust version like you did, only because I can see if being a food without breaks for me like you had.

I'm positive about this ned week, I know I made it through 30 days with success, i fell off the wagon a bit but I know I can get back on track!

Guest bfree11

Day 77 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: vanilla siggi yogurt, apple

Lunch: leftover grain-free pizza (3 pieces)

Dinner: nothing! Oops...

Alcohol: 1 glass of red wine

Exercise: Rest Day

Day 77 was a busy day, so I'm writing this a day late! I had friends over to hang out at my pool all day and then I went out on a date at night. I realize that I didn't eat enough today, but that pizza that I made was extremely filling. I finished the leftovers today, but I will not be making another pizza in the near future unless it's made out of cauliflower or something. 

My friends brought beer, tequila, and mixers to the pool and drank all day. I drank water all day. I used to drink just because everyone else was doing it. I'm so glad that I'm making mindful choices now that feel right for me. I'm noticing much less of an emotional attachment to unhealthy foods and drinks. When I went out on my date, they had all of these different sangria flavors that looked good, but I just thought "ew, that's like drinking liquid sugar." I used to drink things like that all the time without even questioning it. It's also helpful that all the people I surround myself with know about my weight loss journey. Even if I wanted to make an unhealthy choice, I wouldn't because then I'm not staying true to the values that I tell people I have. 

I'll keep it short and sweet for now, but I'll have more to share tonight for my Day 78 post!

Guest bfree11

Day 77 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: vanilla siggi yogurt, apple

Lunch: leftover grain-free pizza (3 pieces)

Dinner: nothing! Oops...

Alcohol: 1 glass of red wine

Day 77 was a busy day, so I'm writing this a day late! I had friends over to hang out at my pool all day and then I went out on a date at night. I realize that I didn't eat enough today, but that pizza that I made was extremely filling. I finished the leftovers today, but I will not be making another pizza in the near future unless it's made out of cauliflower or something. 

My friends brought beer, tequila, and mixers to the pool and drank all day. I drank water all day. I used to drink just because everyone else was doing it. I'm so glad that I'm making mindful choices now that feel right for me. I'm noticing much less of an emotional attachment to unhealthy foods and drinks. When I went out on my date, they had all of these different sangria flavors that looked good, but I just thought "ew, that's like drinking liquid sugar." I used to drink things like that all the time without even questioning it. It's also helpful that all the people I surround myself with know about my weight loss journey. Even if I wanted to make an unhealthy choice, I wouldn't because then I'm not staying true to the values that I tell people I have. 

I'll keep it short and sweet for now, but I'll have more to share tonight for my Day 78 post!

Guest bfree11

This weekend taught me that I need to start being stricter with myself, no matter what the occassion. I know I've been slipping up and snacking when I shouldn't, but this past week we had a whole bunch of dinners out, and I didn't make awful choices, but I let myself make exceptions and justified it. Today, I am officially declaring myself off of dairy. I have had milk/cream 3 times since the end of my 30, and I'm sorry for the TMI, but all three times made me run for the restroom within 30 minutes. However, I have had ice cream and cheese and not had that reaction... but its taught me that I need to limit those as well. I've never had this type of reaction to a milk product before, but my husband has witnesses it all 3 times and he agrees that I need to stay away.

He commented that I fell off the wagon and i told him that starting again tomorrow I mean business. He has the list of meals for the week, we don't have any plans to go out for anything special, I need at least a week with no distractions to get me back on track. Therefore I need to NOT get snacks and work and justify that its ok because I dont have any healthy food with me. I will not starve just because I'm hungry during the workday. I need to make sure I bring salad to work for lunch every day to help keep me full, and I need more fat with breakfast and lunch to last me until dinner. I think my major downfall in the past 3 weeks has been not only allowing myself to snack, but to reach for absolute crap when I have.

I think one of the issues is that I feel somewhat deprived... not of food in general because I've eaten some great things, but I've always loved pizza, i love asian noodles, I love green curry, and I haven't had any because it wasn't whole 30. What I need to do is find the healthy paleo version of it so that way I'm eating well but enjoying myself, I think your cauliflower pizza is something I would love to try out, but I probably won't try the paleo crust version like you did, only because I can see if being a food without breaks for me like you had.

I'm positive about this ned week, I know I made it through 30 days with success, i fell off the wagon a bit but I know I can get back on track!

You go girl! You can do this!

Guest bfree11

Day 78 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: coconut siggi yogurt, berries, black coffee

Lunch: chicken, broccoli, kombucha

Snack: Quest bar

Dinner: tofu, onions, garlic, tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, 1/2 bell pepper

Exercise: Hot Yoga

I started the day with a light breakfast (no eggs), because I didn't feel super hungry. I had early lunch, but didn't eat much of my chicken because it was overcooked. A few hours later, I was hungry again, so I grabbed a Quest bar. Quest bars are not a whole food and there's a few sketchy ingredients, like sucralose, but I don't think they're bad for weight loss and I needed some fast fuel. I believe in using bars in "emergency situations." 

I have to be honest, I'm a little bummed with my weight loss progress. I haven't had french fries or ice cream or anything like that in at least 77 days (with the exception of my birthday, of course), and yet I'm losing weight at a super slow rate. I've lost 15 lb in almost 3 months. Maybe that's normal, but it's tough when the person I compare progress with had gastric bypass surgery and is losing weight at an extremely fast speed. I just feel like I've been so disciplined and put so much work in, and yet, I've got excess weight all over me. There's been so many times where I could have talked myself into having a cheat meal or something, but I stayed strong. So why won't my body shed off this fat?! I'm just worried that months will go by and I'll still look the same, that's my biggest fear.

At first, I was so excited to get to the finish line so that I could start eating junk food again (in moderation). Now I laugh at that because I know that my body runs better on quality, nutrient-dense foods. What I want most is a body that reflects all of my hard work. I will continue to work at it and be patient, but in the back of my head, I'm nervous that I'm going to be fat forever. 15 lb is of course an accomplishment, and I'm enjoying having all of my clothes be big on me, but I want more! I used to want to be thin, but then didn't put consistent effort into eating healthy and exercising. Now that I've mastered consistency, I'd like to see some dramatic weight loss please!

Guest bfree11

Day 78 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: coconut siggi yogurt, berries, black coffee

Lunch: chicken, broccoli, kombucha

Snack: Quest bar

Dinner: tofu, onions, garlic, tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, 1/2 bell pepper

Exercise: Hot Yoga

I started the day with a light breakfast (no eggs), because I didn't feel super hungry. I had early lunch, but didn't eat much of my chicken because it was overcooked. A few hours later, I was hungry again, so I grabbed a Quest bar. Quest bars are not a whole food and there's a few sketchy ingredients, like sucralose, but I don't think they're bad for weight loss and I needed some fast fuel. I believe in using bars in "emergency situations." 

I have to be honest, I'm a little bummed with my weight loss progress. I haven't had french fries or ice cream or anything like that in at least 77 days (with the exception of my birthday, of course), and yet I'm losing weight at a super slow rate. I've lost 15 lb in almost 3 months. Maybe that's normal, but it's tough when the person I compare progress with had gastric bypass surgery and is losing weight at an extremely fast speed. I just feel like I've been so disciplined and put so much work in, and yet, I've got excess weight all over me. There's been so many times where I could have talked myself into having a cheat meal or something, but I stayed strong. So why won't my body shed off this fat?! I'm just worried that months will go by and I'll still look the same, that's my biggest fear.

At first, I was so excited to get to the finish line so that I could start eating junk food again (in moderation). Now I laugh at that because I know that my body runs better on quality, nutrient-dense foods. What I want most is a body that reflects all of my hard work. I will continue to work at it and be patient, but in the back of my head, I'm nervous that I'm going to be fat forever. 15 lb is of course an accomplishment, and I'm enjoying having all of my clothes be big on me, but I want more! I used to want to be thin, but then didn't put consistent effort into eating healthy and exercising. Now that I've mastered consistency, I'd like to see some dramatic weight loss please!

Did the date at least go well?

I totally know what you mean about drinking...  I was out and there were drinks there was no question whether I'd be drinking (not to sound like an alcoholic). I went out to eat a lot last week due to some new people coming to Germany, but I only had wine on one of those nights (2 glasses) and I didn't really miss it. I will say this weekend we stayed at home and I indulged again with a lot of wine, but my headache made up for that decision. I don't see myself cutting out alcohol totally, but we all know we make better decisions when we're not drinking and I don't' need the empty calories.

Don't be frustrated at your weight loss! You're averaging over a pound a week, even if you haven't lost a considerable amount recently. it took a lot longer than a few months to put on the weight, you want it to come off slow. Also, people who lose weight fast get worse stretch marks and loose skin, which are difficult to get rid of.

Today I went on a run, it was a super slow run but it felt good to make myself get out there. My increased running certainly isn't helping with weight loss but its keeping my bad diet decisions at bay. I eat well at dinner and not eating after dinner, but I've been getting sick of my egg breakfasts and I've been turning to sugar at work, I need to find some bigger meals to stop myself from running to sugar even when I'm not exactly craving it!

Guest bfree11

Did the date at least go well?

I totally know what you mean about drinking...  I was out and there were drinks there was no question whether I'd be drinking (not to sound like an alcoholic). I went out to eat a lot last week due to some new people coming to Germany, but I only had wine on one of those nights (2 glasses) and I didn't really miss it. I will say this weekend we stayed at home and I indulged again with a lot of wine, but my headache made up for that decision. I don't see myself cutting out alcohol totally, but we all know we make better decisions when we're not drinking and I don't' need the empty calories.

Don't be frustrated at your weight loss! You're averaging over a pound a week, even if you haven't lost a considerable amount recently. it took a lot longer than a few months to put on the weight, you want it to come off slow. Also, people who lose weight fast get worse stretch marks and loose skin, which are difficult to get rid of.

Today I went on a run, it was a super slow run but it felt good to make myself get out there. My increased running certainly isn't helping with weight loss but its keeping my bad diet decisions at bay. I eat well at dinner and not eating after dinner, but I've been getting sick of my egg breakfasts and I've been turning to sugar at work, I need to find some bigger meals to stop myself from running to sugar even when I'm not exactly craving it!

The date went really well, actually! Thanks for asking :) We definitely had a strong connection and are going to go out on a second date this week. He was very respectful and understanding of my food limitations and I felt really supported. He's a pharmacist, so he cares about health! 

You make a great point about the stretch marks and loose skin! That's definitely a positive way to look at my slow weight loss. Thank you! Nice work with the running! You're inspiring me to get out there in the mornings and do the same!

Guest bfree11

Day 79 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: plain siggi yogurt, berries, chia seeds, 2 eggs, black coffee

Lunchsalad with chicken, veggies, 1/2 avocado, nuts, seeds, balsamic & olive oil, kombucha

Dinner: tofu, tomato sauce, parmesan, 1/2 bell pepper

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

A huge thank you to all of the people who have encouraged me to keep on truckin' despite my disappointment in the speed of my weight loss. I understand it takes some time and that slower weight loss is better for many reasons, including cosmetic reasons, but my fear has just been that maybe I'm doing something wrong. The only thing I can think of that could jumpstart my weight loss is more cardio. I'm going to commit to being more consistent with running or biking in the morning before work. I love yoga and I don't want to give it up, but I have my mornings free, so why not get a little HIIT training in. I plan to focus on interval training so that I feel like I have a plan when I'm out there. I'm going to go as fast as I can for a period of time, then slow down, then repeat, so that my heart rate goes up and down. I hope this will help!

If I had a magic ball and could see that in 5 months I'll be at my goal weight or something, then I'd be more patient and trust the process, but right now, I'm really skeptical! The 15 lb that I've lost so far is great, and I enjoy the compliments I get and the loose clothes, but I want to reach my final goal so badly! I have a serious fear that it will never happen for me, like fitness is for the "elite" and I'll never make the cut.. :( 

The biggest behavior change I've made during these 79 days is only eating when I'm hungry. Today after lunch, I mentioned to my coworker that I was going to a food photoshoot and she immediately said, "ooo let me know if you need someone to try all of the food after it's been photographed." My response was, "But we just ate lunch, we're not hungry anymore!" Sticking to only eating when I'm hungry is becoming second nature to me now, to the extent that I actually thought my coworker sounded silly for suggesting we eat more food after we had just had lunch. In the past, I wouldn't have thought twice about eating a second lunch. Food was my only source of excitement and happiness. It was what I looked forward to most in life because everything else kind of sucked. When you're overweight and unhealthy, you don't feel good mentally or physically and it's really depressing to be stuck in the vicious cycle. Food gives you comfort and instant gratification, even though the cost of indulging is that you dig yourself deeper into the mess. 

Yesterday, a very obese coworker came and sat with us for lunch. My lunch crew consists of 2 extremely healthy eaters, myself included, and one relatively healthy eater. This 4th addition yesterday sat down with a large plate of mac and cheese and a giant bratwurst in a big bun for lunch. It was hard to watch him eat all of it. I just kept thinking about how we really are a product of what we eat and that he must have felt so sick afterward. I used to do that to my body all the time. Today when I walked by the mac and cheese, which usually slightly tempts me, I thought of this guy and his unfortunate relationship with food, and instantly lost my romantic connection with mac and cheese. Sure, it's delicious, but my health is delicious-er.

Guest bfree11

Day 79 (of healthy eating)

Dinner: tofu, tomato sauce, parmesan, 1/2 bell pepper

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

A huge thank you to all of the people who have encouraged me to keep on truckin' despite my disappointment in the speed of my weight loss. I understand it takes some time and that slower weight loss is better for many reasons, including cosmetic reasons, but my fear has just been that maybe I'm doing something wrong. The only thing I can think of that could jumpstart my weight loss is more cardio. I'm going to commit to being more consistent with running or biking in the morning before work. I love yoga and I don't want to give it up, but I have my mornings free, so why not get a little HIIT training in. I plan to focus on interval training so that I feel like I have a plan when I'm out there. I'm going to go as fast as I can for a period of time, then slow down, then repeat, so that my heart rate goes up and down. I hope this will help!

If I had a magic ball and could see that in 5 months I'll be at my goal weight or something, then I'd be more patient and trust the process, but right now, I'm really skeptical! The 15 lb that I've lost so far is great, and I enjoy the compliments I get and the loose clothes, but I want to reach my final goal so badly! I have a serious fear that it will never happen for me, like fitness is for the "elite" and I'll never make the cut..  :(

The biggest behavior change I've made during these 79 days is only eating when I'm hungry. Today after lunch, I mentioned to my coworker that I was going to a food photoshoot and she immediately said, "ooo let me know if you need someone to try all of the food after it's been photographed." My response was, "But we just ate lunch, we're not hungry anymore!" Sticking to only eating when I'm hungry is becoming second nature to me now, to the extent that I actually thought my coworker sounded silly for suggesting we eat more food after we had just had lunch. In the past, I wouldn't have thought twice about eating a second lunch. Food was my only source of excitement and happiness. It was what I looked forward to most in life because everything else kind of sucked. When you're overweight and unhealthy, you don't feel good mentally or physically and it's really depressing to be stuck in the vicious cycle. Food gives you comfort and instant gratification, even though the cost of indulging is that you dig yourself deeper into the mess. 

Yesterday, a very obese coworker came and sat with us for lunch. My lunch crew consists of 2 extremely healthy eaters, myself included, and one relatively healthy eater. This 4th addition yesterday sat down with a large plate of mac and cheese and a giant bratwurst in a big bun for lunch. It was hard to watch him eat all of it. I just kept thinking about how we really are a product of what we eat and that he must have felt so sick afterward. I used to do that to my body all the time. Today when I walked by the mac and cheese, which usually slightly tempts me, I thought of this guy and his unfortunate relationship with food, and instantly lost my romantic connection with mac and cheese. Sure, it's delicious, but my health is delicious-er.

I saw a post on instagram yesterday that said, "Eat like you love yourself." Eating healthy nutritious meals to fuel our bodies is loving ourselves, eating... well, a plate full of mac and cheese and sausage does not. Its a big assumption to say that that person doesn't love themselves, but chances are they don't, because they're not respecting themselves, and neither have I recently. All those snacks I told you about over the past 3 weeks, they weren't just large portions of healthy foods, they were foods with ingredients I don't know and therefore that's not taking care of myself. I needed to see that post yesterday to remember that I may remember oreos tasting good, but they're full of crap and if I want to achieve my goals they're not helping.

I've mentioned before that I may have surgery in the beginning of November, so I've spent the past 2 weeks freaking out about it again. I have a lot of pain in my hip when I do certain movements and its not going to get better on its own. I know the surgery will help in the long run so the hubs really wants me to go through with it, but every time I'm feeling better I start to question myself like... do I hurt that badly? What if the recovery is worse than the pain I have now? Here I am trying to make these positive changes when I might be unable to walk for a month and it will take months to get back into any sort of decent shape. There is a small voice inside of me telling me to power through it so I don't lose the ground I've covered... but on the flip side, this is the perfect opportunity work and life wise and if I put it off it may not be a good time. I'm also really nervous of eating out of boredom... I mean I'll have a month off work to recover, that means I'll be sitting around a lot and watching more tv than I care to, and all I'll want to do is eat. Granted, I won't be doing the food shopping so I'll doubt I'll have snacks in the house, haha, but just the thought of sitting around makes me nervous about gaining weight. Hopefully I'll be making some bigger gains from now until November so if I do slip back it won't be as bad :)

Guest bfree11

I saw a post on instagram yesterday that said, "Eat like you love yourself." Eating healthy nutritious meals to fuel our bodies is loving ourselves, eating... well, a plate full of mac and cheese and sausage does not. Its a big assumption to say that that person doesn't love themselves, but chances are they don't, because they're not respecting themselves, and neither have I recently. All those snacks I told you about over the past 3 weeks, they weren't just large portions of healthy foods, they were foods with ingredients I don't know and therefore that's not taking care of myself. I needed to see that post yesterday to remember that I may remember oreos tasting good, but they're full of crap and if I want to achieve my goals they're not helping.

I've mentioned before that I may have surgery in the beginning of November, so I've spent the past 2 weeks freaking out about it again. I have a lot of pain in my hip when I do certain movements and its not going to get better on its own. I know the surgery will help in the long run so the hubs really wants me to go through with it, but every time I'm feeling better I start to question myself like... do I hurt that badly? What if the recovery is worse than the pain I have now? Here I am trying to make these positive changes when I might be unable to walk for a month and it will take months to get back into any sort of decent shape. There is a small voice inside of me telling me to power through it so I don't lose the ground I've covered... but on the flip side, this is the perfect opportunity work and life wise and if I put it off it may not be a good time. I'm also really nervous of eating out of boredom... I mean I'll have a month off work to recover, that means I'll be sitting around a lot and watching more tv than I care to, and all I'll want to do is eat. Granted, I won't be doing the food shopping so I'll doubt I'll have snacks in the house, haha, but just the thought of sitting around makes me nervous about gaining weight. Hopefully I'll be making some bigger gains from now until November so if I do slip back it won't be as bad :)

I'm in love with that quote!!! So clear and simple! Let's both keep that as our mantra! We deserve the best :)

I had back surgery 2 summers ago and I could hardly walk after for months. I got so depressed and gained so much weight. With no exercise at all, I had to be so careful about what I ate, but that was so hard because I was depressed that I couldn't do anything, so I ate to comfort myself. I'd like to think I'm stronger now and if I had to get surgery now, I'd still be disciplined, but recovery is so hard and emotional. All I can say, is I'll be supporting you 100% of the way! I didn't have anyone helping me stay on track when I had my surgery, but I'll be there for ya my friend!

Guest bfree11

Day 80 (of healthy eating)

Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast, sweet potato, 1/2 bell pepper

Exercise: Run in the AM and Hot Yoga in the PM

Today was a success! I reeeeally didn't want to get up and run this morning, but interval training made it delightful. I felt strong and fast for the running part because I got to have rests in between. I am frustrated that I lost my running skills since last Fall, when I was running 5ks without walking. Now I can run 1 mile without stopping...on a good day. I know I can build back up to running further distances if I keep at it. 

I've been bloated and constipated for like 5 days and today, I finally found myself back to normal. My stomach looks and feels so much smaller. I hope I can stay regular, but for some reason my body had always struggled with this. One thing I know for sure, is that the parmesan cheese I bought was not making my tummy very happy. I threw it away! Eat like you love yourself!

As I mentioned a few days ago, I'm going to visit my grandma this weekend and for the past 27 years, this has always been associated with eating unhealthy. We eat at a lot of restaurants and used to get ice cream all the time. This will be my first trip to my grandma's where I'm not going to use food as a way to celebrate my vacation. In fact, I'm actually going to use exercise as a way to celebrate my vacation. My sister has not only agreed to help me make healthy choices while we're there, but she's also going to put me through a boot camp! Her and I are going to run, swim laps, and do her Insanity video! I literally can't wait! I've never been this excited about exercising before, but it's just so awesome to me that I'm changing my habits and building new vacation traditions. It makes sense to exercise more on vacation because you actually have more time for it. I'm looking forward to pushing myself hard and seeing what I can accomplish!

I think I like who I'm becoming. I like that I'm looking forward to new workouts this weekend. I like that I get to bond with my sister in a new way. We've never worked out together before! I love being active and feeling proud of my hard work. I'm genuinely excited to run tomorrow morning. I'm thankful for the body that I have and dedicated to transforming it into the best version of itself possible!

Guest bfree11

Day 80 (of healthy eating)

Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast, sweet potato, 1/2 bell pepper

Exercise: Run in the AM and Hot Yoga in the PM

Today was a success! I reeeeally didn't want to get up and run this morning, but interval training made it delightful. I felt strong and fast for the running part because I got to have rests in between. I am frustrated that I lost my running skills since last Fall, when I was running 5ks without walking. Now I can run 1 mile without stopping...on a good day. I know I can build back up to running further distances if I keep at it. 

I've been bloated and constipated for like 5 days and today, I finally found myself back to normal. My stomach looks and feels so much smaller. I hope I can stay regular, but for some reason my body had always struggled with this. One thing I know for sure, is that the parmesan cheese I bought was not making my tummy very happy. I threw it away! Eat like you love yourself!

As I mentioned a few days ago, I'm going to visit my grandma this weekend and for the past 27 years, this has always been associated with eating unhealthy. We eat at a lot of restaurants and used to get ice cream all the time. This will be my first trip to my grandma's where I'm not going to use food as a way to celebrate my vacation. In fact, I'm actually going to use exercise as a way to celebrate my vacation. My sister has not only agreed to help me make healthy choices while we're there, but she's also going to put me through a boot camp! Her and I are going to run, swim laps, and do her Insanity video! I literally can't wait! I've never been this excited about exercising before, but it's just so awesome to me that I'm changing my habits and building new vacation traditions. It makes sense to exercise more on vacation because you actually have more time for it. I'm looking forward to pushing myself hard and seeing what I can accomplish!

I think I like who I'm becoming. I like that I'm looking forward to new workouts this weekend. I like that I get to bond with my sister in a new way. We've never worked out together before! I love being active and feeling proud of my hard work. I'm genuinely excited to run tomorrow morning. I'm thankful for the body that I have and dedicated to transforming it into the best version of itself possible!

I mentioned the other day that I have been having a reaction to milk, but that ice cream and cheese I'm just fine. I think I'm fooling myself. I had ice cream at work the other day, I came home and my entire body was itchy, my husband joked around if I had milk today (I didn't tell him I had ice cream). About two years ago I realized that I would get a really itchy back, practically every night I would ask my husband for a back scratch before bed, but I never knew what was wrong. When I started this journey I still thought I had something medically wrong with me due to some other symptoms and was convinced that I had a thyroid issue as one of the symptoms is itchy skin. I had never saw this before and since it was so obscure I thought this had to be it!... but it wasn't, I took the tests and they came back fine. I had also read about the odd reactions we may have to food and I realized that during my W30 I wasn't so itchy and it clicked that it must be related to food. I think a bit ago my husband related the itchy back to milk products but I wasn't convinced yet, but I think after two days ago he may be onto something. I don't have a need for milk, but I like ice cream and cheese. I don't really need ice cream in my life, and we used to make frozen banana "ice cream" at home, and that satisfied me just as much, but I think I'll need to see if the desire for cheese is worth the itchiness! As least I hope this will help me in denying milk products instead of just knowing they're unhealthy for me.

I ran again today, twice in one week is my goal so I'm pretty happy about that. We have these awesome running trails by my house, but I go so early in the morning that I'm a bit nervous to be out alone so I started running my streets, which has been interesting because German villages are so unique so I've gotten to see a lot of different houses in my neighborhood. I have read that you should increase your mileage by 1/4 mile or by 5 minutes when you're starting out from scratch as to not burn out or get an injury so I worked up to 2.7 miles this morning but maintained the same pace as earlier this week. I understand what you mean about being frustrated with your performance... my pace is just under 12 minutes and that's about a good minute slower than I used to run. I was embarrassed to put the pace in my screenshot when I posted it on instagram but then I realized I'm doing these posts to show my progress, so if I don't show where I am now, how can I show that I'm proud of where I'll be in the future?

Thanks for sharing about your own surgery.. its super scary and intimidating, but I think I have to frame it in my mind that the recovery may seem long, but in the big picture of our life, its not really too bad. The emotional eating is what I'm most afraid of but I'll bet my husband will keep that at bay by not buying anything for the house!

I think that's so awesome that your sister is going to be motivating you both during your trip. It is so much easier to stay on track when you have at least one other like-minded person with you.

Guest bfree11

I mentioned the other day that I have been having a reaction to milk, but that ice cream and cheese I'm just fine. I think I'm fooling myself. I had ice cream at work the other day, I came home and my entire body was itchy, my husband joked around if I had milk today (I didn't tell him I had ice cream). About two years ago I realized that I would get a really itchy back, practically every night I would ask my husband for a back scratch before bed, but I never knew what was wrong. When I started this journey I still thought I had something medically wrong with me due to some other symptoms and was convinced that I had a thyroid issue as one of the symptoms is itchy skin. I had never saw this before and since it was so obscure I thought this had to be it!... but it wasn't, I took the tests and they came back fine. I had also read about the odd reactions we may have to food and I realized that during my W30 I wasn't so itchy and it clicked that it must be related to food. I think a bit ago my husband related the itchy back to milk products but I wasn't convinced yet, but I think after two days ago he may be onto something. I don't have a need for milk, but I like ice cream and cheese. I don't really need ice cream in my life, and we used to make frozen banana "ice cream" at home, and that satisfied me just as much, but I think I'll need to see if the desire for cheese is worth the itchiness! As least I hope this will help me in denying milk products instead of just knowing they're unhealthy for me.

I ran again today, twice in one week is my goal so I'm pretty happy about that. We have these awesome running trails by my house, but I go so early in the morning that I'm a bit nervous to be out alone so I started running my streets, which has been interesting because German villages are so unique so I've gotten to see a lot of different houses in my neighborhood. I have read that you should increase your mileage by 1/4 mile or by 5 minutes when you're starting out from scratch as to not burn out or get an injury so I worked up to 2.7 miles this morning but maintained the same pace as earlier this week. I understand what you mean about being frustrated with your performance... my pace is just under 12 minutes and that's about a good minute slower than I used to run. I was embarrassed to put the pace in my screenshot when I posted it on instagram but then I realized I'm doing these posts to show my progress, so if I don't show where I am now, how can I show that I'm proud of where I'll be in the future?

Thanks for sharing about your own surgery.. its super scary and intimidating, but I think I have to frame it in my mind that the recovery may seem long, but in the big picture of our life, its not really too bad. The emotional eating is what I'm most afraid of but I'll bet my husband will keep that at bay by not buying anything for the house!

I think that's so awesome that your sister is going to be motivating you both during your trip. It is so much easier to stay on track when you have at least one other like-minded person with you.

Try avocado ice cream too! SO good!

I run at the same exact pace as you! I wish we could run together. I used to be a minute faster as well. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one that runs at this pace :) I'm proud of you for posting your current pace on instagram. Think of all the people you know who saw your post and haven't gotten off the couch to run in years!

Guest bfree11

Day 81 (of healthy eating)

Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast, 1/2 bell pepper

Exercise: Run in the AM (skipped yoga for a second date!  :o )

I did something I've never done before today! I had my meals all planned out for the day and I'm going away tomorrow morning, so I wanted to make sure that I used up as much stuff as possible in my fridge. I planned to eat yesterday's dinner leftovers today for dinner. But then, the guy I'm going out on a date with tonight asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner. I thought in my head, "NO! I don't want to go out to dinner! Restaurants are hard to eat healthy at. I don't like that dating has to be associated with going out for drinks and food. That's not healthy, and I've worked too damn hard! Plus I know I'm going to have to eat at a bunch of restaurants this weekend, so I'd like to minimize the amount of times when it's in my control." I wanted to say all of this. I really did. I remembered that in the past, I would have just said yes and gone along with whatever he wanted. 

Not this time.

I told him I had leftovers that I didn't want to waste and would it be okay if we got together after dinner and maybe did something more active, like bowling. He was TOTALLY cool about it. We ended up going bowling and had an awesome time! I brought up the whole dinner thing with him and just explained where I was coming from and he was completely understanding. He told me that we don't need to focus our dates on drinking and eating. He came up with ideas for us to go on walks, bike rides, runs, yoga, etc. He said that while he hasn't been hyper-focused on fitness lately, he does think it's super important and would like to get back into it. Phew! I'm so proud of myself for having the confidence to be honest and vulnerable. I think it's because I can tell that he's the kind of guy who is supportive and accepting. Plus, he's a pharmacist, so he is a healthcare provider and cares about good health!

Guest bfree11

Day 81 (of healthy eating)

Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast, 1/2 bell pepper

Exercise: Run in the AM (skipped yoga for a second date!   :o )

I did something I've never done before today! I had my meals all planned out for the day and I'm going away tomorrow morning, so I wanted to make sure that I used up as much stuff as possible in my fridge. I planned to eat yesterday's dinner leftovers today for dinner. But then, the guy I'm going out on a date with tonight asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner. I thought in my head, "NO! I don't want to go out to dinner! Restaurants are hard to eat healthy at. I don't like that dating has to be associated with going out for drinks and food. That's not healthy, and I've worked too damn hard! Plus I know I'm going to have to eat at a bunch of restaurants this weekend, so I'd like to minimize the amount of times when it's in my control." I wanted to say all of this. I really did. I remembered that in the past, I would have just said yes and gone along with whatever he wanted. 

Not this time.

I told him I had leftovers that I didn't want to waste and would it be okay if we got together after dinner and maybe did something more active, like bowling. He was TOTALLY cool about it. We ended up going bowling and had an awesome time! I brought up the whole dinner thing with him and just explained where I was coming from and he was completely understanding. He told me that we don't need to focus our dates on drinking and eating. He came up with ideas for us to go on walks, bike rides, runs, yoga, etc. He said that while he hasn't been hyper-focused on fitness lately, he does think it's super important and would like to get back into it. Phew! I'm so proud of myself for having the confidence to be honest and vulnerable. I think it's because I can tell that he's the kind of guy who is supportive and accepting. Plus, he's a pharmacist, so he is a healthcare provider and cares about good health!

Guest bfree11

Day 82 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: plain siggi yogurt, berries, chia seeds, 2 eggs

Snack: apple

Lunch: salad with chicken, veggies, balsamic vinaigrette, unsweetened iced tea

Dinner: chicken and broccoli

As I drove across Florida this morning, I thought about all the things I used to eat when going on a long drive. I'd buy snacks, treats, and fast food. Today was different. I ate my breakfast in the car and in the middle of the 4 hour drive, I ate an apple. For lunch, I had a salad with chicken like I usually do. The salad came with pita bread on it and I immediately removed it and put it on my grandma's plate. I like to use balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dressing, but they just had a balsamic vinaigrette that probably had extra sugar in it. I had a tiny bit and threw the rest away. When I eat alone at home, I don't think much about bread and sugar, but when dining with others, I see bread and sugar everywhere and I think about how delicious it would taste. 

I had an interesting conversation with my super fit brother-in-law at dinner tonight. He had a little bit of bread with his dinner and was explaining to me that having "just a little" satisfies his cravings and works for him. I explained to him that for me, having "just a little" unleashes my sugar dragon. If I have a piece of bread, I'll start thinking more and more about bread. Right now, I really want to have my weight loss be my main focus. When I reach my goal weight, I will eat bread, dark chocolate, drink wine, etc. in moderation and not worry about it, but first I want to cross that finish line!

My sister is having me meet her at the hotel gym at 6am for a workout in the morning! I'm pretty excited! It's fun to have someone to workout with and I'm so lucky to have such a supportive sister! I was really happy that my sister and family noticed a difference in my appearance when they saw me today. I remember talking about going on this trip back in June with my sister and hoping that I'd look different when she saw me! It felt good to hear that in the almost 2 months since I did my official Whole 30, I look like I've lost even more weight. Life after Whole 30 isn't as bad as I thought it would be!

Archived