Bored with protein choices- ideas?

Hi everyone,

So I'm badly allergic to seafood (vomiting and hives) and I'm sensitive to both chicken and duck eggs. I'm on Day 15 of my Whole30 and I am SO BORED with my protein choices, sometimes I don't want to go anywhere near meat. Do you guys have any ideas with how to beat this growing distaste for meat? I need something besides constant chicken, beef, and pork. I know there's stuff like lamb and bison and such, I just don't know where to get it, and if it would taste different enough from the other standard meat choices.

At this point, I don't crave grains and sugars but when I see cereal, I think of how easy it would be to just pour a bowl and be done with it.

Thanks,

Kelly

• Moderators

For where to get other meats, my grocery store carries a small selection of lamb and bison, but you might also look for local farmers' markets or independent butchers. If you're in the US, check Local Harvest for listings. US or international, try Eat Wild.  To know how they taste, you really will just have to try them. To me, bison tastes very much like beef -- I probably couldn't tell the difference in a blind taste test. (To be fair, though, I've only ever had it ground, I've never had a bison steak, that might be different.) 

You might find this article helpful -- it's written primarily for former vegetarians new to eating meat, but some of the tips might help you. Definitely look for new recipes, new seasonings, even new sauces to use. Maybe something as simple as covering your chicken in a flavorful sauce or serving it with a really good dip might help make it more palatable (I'm partial to Moroccan Dipping Sauce, but there are plenty of other options too.) I think the article I linked to mentions this, but maybe making a casserole type dish with shredded or ground meat mixed with lots of vegetables and sauce would be good. If you like marinara sauce, try layering thinly sliced zucchini or eggplant (or some of both) with marinara sauce and cooked ground beef or shredded chicken. If you buy a marinara sauce, consider adding extra garlic and onions and whatever your favorite Italian style herbs and seasonings are, to jazz it up some.

I'd also say, unless you're doing really strenuous workouts, it's okay to most of the time aim for just the minimum amount of protein on the meal template. 

For the convenience part, the easiest way to get that is to pre-cook a bunch of stuff so all you have to do is heat them up. 

I do sympathise, i just ate a pork burger for lunch and i would have been so happy to just eat some cheese instead of having to cook and eat meat.

Lamb is lovely and tastes completely unlike beef and pork, lambs liver is good too, with a very different texture to muscle meats. Slice thin and cook fast for best results. Lamb hearts are also a possibility, but I've never tried them. Goat is also good, then there's mutton too.

I also like game - venison, rabbit, partridge, pheasant, and I've never tried it but some say squirrel is pretty tasty too!

And frogs legs are pretty nice, but you'll need a lot :) if you are feeling really adventurous how about snails? I've never tried them, but aficionados say they're good

I now have many more herbs and spices than I used to and I find these help a lot.

• Moderators

Lamb is wonderful, one of my favorites. Venison is really delicious. There's a lot of good recipes for stew out there -- add lots of good veggies to round it out.

If you've been eating meat with veggie sides, how about making a one-pot dish like a curry where your protein is mixed in with lots of veggies, spices and a coconut cream/milk sauce? That might be more palatable for you than a big burger, steak or hunk of chicken.

Are you allergic to all seafood? Sardines, because they are a small fish, are a good choice because they don't absorb a lot of mercury or other toxins.

Hi everyone,

So I'm badly allergic to seafood (vomiting and hives) and I'm sensitive to both chicken and duck eggs. I'm on Day 15 of my Whole30 and I am SO BORED with my protein choices, sometimes I don't want to go anywhere near meat. Do you guys have any ideas with how to beat this growing distaste for meat? I need something besides constant chicken, beef, and pork. I know there's stuff like lamb and bison and such, I just don't know where to get it, and if it would taste different enough from the other standard meat choices.

At this point, I don't crave grains and sugars but when I see cereal, I think of how easy it would be to just pour a bowl and be done with it.

Thanks,

Kelly

What kind of proteins do you normally eat or is this your first attempt at trying these kinds of proteins in awhile?

Archived