Can I have Norwegian smoked salmon?

Schnauzy

This was the closest smoked salmon I can find at Costco that looked compliant..all the other ones had sugar.

Ingredients include: 94% farmed norwegian salmon, salt, sodium lactate, pepper, dill, sodium di-acetate, paprika, parsley, enzyme (transglutaminase), natural wood smoke

Are the bold ingredients compliant? 

Yep, technically compliant, although the transglutaminase is questionable just because of how it's used & what it's used for - it's like glue so this won't be smoked salmon fillet, rather pieces of salmon 'glued' together - think reformed chicken...

• Administrators

thank you :) I think they used the glue for the spices they had at the edges

Erm....I doubt it. The "94% farmed salmon" part leaves 6% for filler....transglutaminase. At the risk of being somewhat political (it's a HOT button issue in my neck of the woods), the public should stay as far away from farmed salmon as is possible.  Like...seriously far.

http://whole9life.com/2010/12/the-conscientious-omnivore-from-the-sea/

• Moderators

Changing Seas brand at whole foods is just Salmon and sea salt. Super clean. I'm almost positive it's approved. Someone else can clarify?

If those are the only ingredients, it's fine. Just be sure to read the ingredients every time you buy, in case they decide to change their recipe.

Archived