What to do when you lose your appetite?

patanello

Hi All: 

I am being treated for SIBO and overgrowth of yeast. While I am on my meds (couple of antibiotics and diflucan) my PCP suggested a paleo-like diet. I have been on many diets in the past -- no yeast, gluten free and dairy free, etc. The hardest thing about them was lack of support. I was very glad I found the Whole 30 so that I could post questions and get feedback and ideas. 

My first question: I seem to suffer from lack of appetite after a few days on any restricted diet. When I started eating my hard=boiled egg this morning I was literally gagging. I sometimes experience nausea. I just lose interest in food -- and normally i love food of all kinds (meats, veggies, fruit, you name it). I read that this normally happens in Week 3. For me it happens within 3-4 days. Not sure how to overcome this. I feel like I am forcing food down my throat and am not enjoying it.

Any ideas? Thanks for any feedback!

• Moderators

The Whole30 is not a restricted diet. You can eat literally 1000s of different foods. You can have a different meal 3 times per day ever day for the next year without repeating the same meal. You don't have to eat another hard boiled egg if you don't choose to eat another hard boiled egg. Put more effort into preparing new meals. You can draw from online resources or consult the standard references of this forum like Well Fed and Well Fed 2. :)

Hi Tom: 

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I realize the diet is varied and I do enjoy a variety of foods. I just find that I lose my appetite for eating in general. It's not an aversion to eggs or meat or any specific food. I just don't feel like eating at all. I am just wondering what causes this and if others experience this as well and if it is common?

Btw, I felt the same way when I was pregnant.  I am definitely not pregnant,  but same feelings of slight nausea and loss of appetite in general. I am  wondering if that means it could be my hormones reacting to foods in a certain way?

I am still eating by the way. No worries there. But I just wish I could actually enjoy it a bit more.  B)

• Administrators

My first question: I seem to suffer from lack of appetite after a few days on any restricted diet. 

I guess this is the phrase that is throwing us off a bit.  The Whole30 is not a "restricted diet" and yet you are saying you feel nauseated in the first few days.  What were you eating before you started Whole30? Was it very carb and sugar heavy (muffins, cakes, cookies, cereal, toast etc)? If that's the case, switching over to eating protein and vegetables for breakfast could be a bit of a stretch for your mind-stomach connection at this moment.  We recommend that you continue to push through and eat every 4-5 hours, the minimum template amount.  The best cure for lack of appetite is to eat.  Sounds counter-intuitive but it's true.  Hunger is hormone driven and if yours are out of whack, you're going to go through an adjustment period.

We can recommend trying things that are a bit more palatable like scrambled eggs (hard boiled can be a bit difficult first thing in the morning), a nice chicken salad, a warm veggie and cooked protein skillet dish (search the forum, there are literally zillions of breakfast suggestions).

Eating breakfast is going to set up your patterns for the whole day so it is extremely important that you try and work through this.  If you can't eat the entire breakfast at one sitting, pack it up and take it with you to eat again as soon as you are able.  This will help train your body to accept protein, fat and veggies first thing in the morning.  Being overly hungry (ie, from not eating for hours after waking) can create even further nausea and food aversion so do try to avoid that.

Hi LadyShanny: 

Thanks for your reply.

By "restricted diet" I just meant that there are foods you cannot eat on the Whole 30. There are NO-NOs.  I wasn't commenting on the variety or the amount of foods, just the fact that there are certain foods that I shouldn't eat while on this diet. 

The highly processed foods are not an issue for me. I rarely eat them. But I did eat LOTS of legumes (mostly beans and chickpeas). I also ate  grains (brown rice and pasta ) and dairy (mostly cheese). 

Breakfasts were usually 1.  a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with flax seeds and apple or banana with a handful of nuts. 2. an organic full fat yogurt -- also with flax, nuts, and either banana or apple. 3. gluten free bread with almond butter

Black tea with a splash of whole milk was my drink of choice.  

Maybe my body is missing the fruit or the dairy? Not sure. But I will try to just eat and see if I feel better in a few days. 

I will look up some of those skillet dishes you mentioned above. 

• Administrators

Ya, so your breakfasts were pretty carb and sugar heavy so your body is probably resisting the protein and veggies.  Try throwing some starchy veggie into your breakfast during this transition period.  Some sweet potato or roasted carrots or the like might help.

On top of Lady Shanny's excellent advice, might I suggest a blended soup?

Bone Broth helps heal you gut (especially important when dealing with SIBO) So a blended soup made with carrot or sweet potato would be comforting.  Well Fed's Silky Gingered soup is also another great one as ginger is especially good on setting upset digestive tracts.

Also I have heard many people who were oatmeal consumers before a whole 30 - find soup a good alternative.  But in the end - we encourage you to find what works for you.

I experienced this in the first week or so of my whole 30, too. Nauseated, couldn't stand the thought of eating (mostly in the morning), and also had "food despair" because, damn it, I wanted my granola back! I don't know that I did anything special, other than just rode it out, and it went away after a week or so. I do eat sweet potatoes every single morning (ala ladyshanny, above), maybe that's what got me over the hump?

I still have phases where my appetite simply isn't what it normally is, although now this occurs in the evenings, whereas it used to be in the mornings. When I have little or no appetite, I just eat a small template meal, I try to not skip meals.

Hang in there, it will get better!

Archived