Started today... breastfeeding, wanting to drop what I've gained since reaching adulthood...

MonciaB

Hello, 

I'm 32, mom to four, and am currently nursing.  In my teens and very early 20s, I was an extremely fit athlete, but lack of high intensity exercise and bad eating are catching up with me.  I'm about 15 pounds over my goal weight.  In addition to doing Whole30, I am using Mutu Mama to help heal diastase recti, so that I can then move on to more intense exercise.  

D1M1:

2 eggs fried in bacon fat

2 strips bacon

1 sweet potato with a spoonful of coconut oil on top

1 handful cherries

D1M2:

large salad of baby greens and red onions, balsamic/OO dressing

2 portions canned tuna mixed with homemade OO mayo, tarragon vinegar, red grapes, slivered almonds, celery, and red onion

1 handful olives.

D1snack:

I had to go back for more of the tuna salad about 2 hours after lunch- I'll try larger portion tomorrow.

handful cherries

D1M3:  

Slow cooked citrus pork shoulder, 2 meat portions

2 bell peppers, sliced, roasted with onion in olive oil

1/2 avocado in homemade guacamole (w/onion, tomato, cilantro, hot pepper)

Emotionally:  Nagging sensation that I'm forgetting something throughout the day (forgetting to eat a square of chocolate, glass of milk, etc...).  Whenever that "grazing" sensation hit, I drank some water, played with a kid, or did some of my transverse ab exercises, and it passed.  

Anyway, hello, thanks for reading!  :-D    

• Moderators

While nursing, you should probably eat four meals per day routinely. You should probably eat a starchy veggie like sweet potato twice per day.

Overall, I suspect you ate too little and need to eat more. The thing about losing weight is that calorie restriction tends to backfire because it slows your metabolism. You need your metabolism to burn fast and the way to achieve that is to eat a menu of meat, fish, and vegetables generously. 

While nursing, you should probably eat four meals per day routinely. You should probably eat a starchy veggie like sweet potato twice per day.

Overall, I suspect you ate too little and need to eat more. The thing about losing weight is that calorie restriction tends to backfire because it slows your metabolism. You need your metabolism to burn fast and the way to achieve that is to eat a menu of meat, fish, and vegetables generously. 

Thanks for the help!  I was just thinking a second potato of one kind or another probably would have been good to add to lunch.  

Finished Day 2!  

I ended D1 feeling pretty yucky- bad headache (probably caffeine related, though I did stop coke a week before starting the W30).  I woke up this morning feeling much better than I expected to!  

D2M1:  2 eggs, fried in ghee, 1 sweet potato w/ghee, 2 slices bacon.  I've never liked eggs, and am already sick of them, so tomorrow I'll be trying something different.

D2M2: tuna salad like D1, a cup of cooked, cubed beets with vinaigrette, some leftover carnita meat.

Snack: strawberries

D2M3: slow roasted chicken (I had a thigh and part of a breast)  w/ghee and herbs and pan gravy using tapioca to thicken, smashed red potatoes with olive oil and herbs, roasted carrots.  Generous amount of gravy over everything.  :-)  

I still have a headache, but I get headaches a lot anyway, so this is not unusual for me.  No hunger issues between meals, and still have that feeling of missing something (between meal grazing).  

I have not been TOO tempted to cheat yet, but what is hard are the little moments- mixing up a chocolate milk for my kid and NOT licking the spoon, etc.  

Hi Monica!

I find the small moments the hardest as well! Having cupcake and frosting on my hand and wiping it off with a napkin?! I don't think I've ever done that in my life! Also, I often taste/ test the softness of some foods for the baby and I've caught myself and had to ask my husband or squished it between my fingers instead.

Keep it up!

Went to bed feeling not great, woke up feeling better than expected.  Still nursing a headache that gets progressively worse throughout the day.  I don't think it's calorie related, I'm getting lots of fat.  Not water related, drinking lots of water.  It may not be diet related at all.  I think I'll break down and take something for it tonight.  

D3M1: homemade pork breakfast sausage patties, leftover roast red potatoes, a nectarine

D3M2: chicken salad with homemade mayo, celery, grapes, half an apple, and red onion, beets in vinaigrette

D3M3: Hawaiian burger (burger topped with homemade garlic mayo, grilled pineapple slice, red onion), potatoes pan fried in coconut oil, baby greens with balsamic vinaigrette.

Took something for my headache last night and I feel much better!  Good night's sleep, and felt good all day today.  Knock on wood!

D4M1: 1.5 breakfast sausage patties (homemade), sweet potato with ghee, cherries

D4M2: 2 eggs as egg salad w/celery, red onion, OO mayo, grated raw beet salad w/vinaigrette, a few cherries

D4M3: Chicken curry w/chicken, pineapple, banana, coconut milk, tapioca starch, and curry powder, roasted cauliflower w/OO

Felt good all day in terms of energy and mood.  Small stomach ache after breakfast- maybe too much banana?  

D5M1: "Paleo Pancakes"- (2 eggs, 1.5 bananas)

D5M2: leftover curry, green beans with ghee

D5M3: Salmon pan seared in ghee w/lemon garlic OO mayo, roast new potatoes w/OO, artichoke dipped in OO vinaigrette, handful cherries

oops. Pancakes of any kind, even just bananas and eggs are not permitted on the whole30.

Try having vegetables, protein and good fat for breakfast.

Oh no!  I must have missed the fine print on that one!  I admit I read ISWF about three months ago, failed my first Whole30 after 4 hours, and set it down until I had the time to get myself organised.  I'm assuming it's because they fall into the paleo "treats" category?  I hadn't considered that before, as I don't like regular pancakes.  lol.

Anyway, I'm not going to restart, since the ingredients were all ok and it was an honest mistake.  :-)  But I'll find some other way to choke down eggs from now on.  

• Moderators

If you don't like eggs, you don't have to eat eggs at all.

Anything you'd eat at any other meal works great for meal 1. You could just make sure you make enough of your meal 3 each night to have leftovers, or you could make a stir fry or sweet potato hash with sausage. You have tons of options.

I definitely made a few less-than-ideal meals my first Whole30. It's all a big learning experience. Chalk it up to learning and move on.

Burger patties or meatballs are a favorite egg-free breakfast in my house. Both my 2-1/2-year-old and 7-year-old are big fans, and burgers are just as easy as eggs in the morning.

If you don't like eggs, you don't have to eat eggs at all.

Anything you'd eat at any other meal works great for meal 1. You could just make sure you make enough of your meal 3 each night to have leftovers, or you could make a stir fry or sweet potato hash with sausage. You have tons of options.

Haha, I know, but they are cheap.  My grocery budget has gone through the roof without all the cheap carbs.  :-)  

I really appreciate everyone's comments.  Thanks so much!

Today was a harder day- a number of cravings hit.  It was a hot day, so I gave the kids a treat of ice cream.  THAT was hard to watch.  lol.  

I continue to have good energy and even temper, not experiencing the W30 timeline of woes, happily.  :-)  I hope it continues this way!

D6M1: 2 eggs, fried in bacon fat, 3 strips bacon, big heap of raw beet salad with vinaigrette

D6M2: leftover curry (finally polished it off, thank goodness), cucumber and tomato salad with balsamic vin/OO, 6 garlic stuffed olives

snack: 8 macadamia nuts, just to have something to chew on while the kids had their treat.   :(

D6M3: Stir fry w/chicken thighs, asparagus, snow peas, bell pepper, and onion.  1/2 apple w/2T almond butter because I felt like I needed a bit more fat than what was in the main dish.  

I'm not too terribly happy with my eating today.  Too many nuts.  

2 exciting things today:  I completed my first week AND I woke up hungry!!!  First time in forever that I've had an appetite in the morning.  :-)

D7M1: 2 eggs, 3 strips bacon, sweet potato w/ghee

D7M2: leftover stir fry, 12 olives, handful cherries

M7M3: rosemary balsamic ribs in slow cooker, roast red potatoes w/OO, steamed carrots w/ghee

Not hungry this morning, oh well!  I still ate.  

D8M1: 1 sausage patty, leftover roast potatoes, 4 beautiful strawberries

D8M2: large green salad w/OO vinaigrette, tuna salad w/OO mayo, celery, red onion, halved grapes, 6 macadamia nuts

D8M3: coconut crusted chicken breasts, green salad w/vinaigrette, roast sweet potatoes

I found I spent a lot of today thinking about things I'd like to eat after W30.  I wouldn't quite call it cravings because I wasn't tempted to give in at that moment, but lots of food fantasies.  It was a harder day emotionally, lots of "Why am I even bothering to do this?" and "I couldn't live paleo long term, so is this just pointless?"  I'm just rolling with it for now and hope my food-mood will improve as I get closer to day 30.  

Still in the doldrums like yesterday.  

D9M1: 2 eggs, 3 bacon, 1 sweet potato w/CO

D9M2: leftover ribs, leftover roast sweet potato, 10 olives, small handful of strawberries

snack: small handful macadamia nuts, handful strawberries

D9M3: pork sausage, broccoli salad w/OO mayo, bacon, red onion, grapes.  Handful sunflower seeds

Tummy ache immediately following M3.  Not sure why but I bloated immediately.  Maybe broccoli?  I'd be totally ok with it if I turn out to be broccoli intolerant...  

I felt  bit hungry today...  I think it's because I didn't have a starch with breakfast.  Won't make that mistake again!  

D10M1:  2 eggs, 3 bacon, leftover broccoli salad

D10M2: 2 slices ham, beet salad w/OO vin, bell pepper slices, strawberries, walnuts

snack: apple, 2T almond butter, 2 pieces beef stew meat

D10M3: Beef stew w/carrots, parsnips, potatoes 

I didn't quit, just got tired of posting my meals every day.  lol.  

TWO WEEKS IN!!!!!!!  

NSV:  very stable mood and energy levels throughout the day since I started W30.  I have been tackling a lot of small household projects that I didn't have the energy for pre W30.  

Today's dinner was great- about 2 cups of stir fried snow peas, celery, and green onion with cashews, and a pan-seared salmon filet, about two palms worth.  Yum yum.  

Lunch was a little sad- leftover paleo chicken picatta and sautéed leeks, plus leftover carrot-apple salad w/OO mayo.

I know many people recommend against starchy carbs at breakfast, but the few times I've left them out I've not done as well through the day.  So I'm having a sweet potato pretty much every morning with my breakfast unless I have leftover white potatoes, in which case I make a potato-bacon-onion-spinach omelet.  

Day 16.  Not quite tiger blood, but getting closer.  When baby woke me up at 6am to nurse, I stayed up and did a workout dvd after tucking him back in.  

I made nom nom paleo's roast chicken with tarragon pan sauce and the whole family licked their plates clean, it was soon good.  Served with lots of roast cauliflower.  

CONFESSION:  I consumed one grain of rice today when testing for doneness.  Realised what I had done and I was like "NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Not restarting.  lol.  

Day 20 and feeling very good in general.  I did have a little tummy upset today following breakfast, though I didn't eat anything unusual.  Oh well.  

Today was the first day where I ate an inadequate lunch, and at 2pm I knew I would either need to cheat (tomorrow is grocery day, so I had NO food in the house aside form dinner ingredients) or eat a dreaded Lara bar.  I don't like them, but I do have a few for just such occasions.  It was my first and hopefully only Lara bar on w30, and it did the trick and kept me on track until dinner.  Phew.  

Emotionally, I keep vacillating between I want to do this forever and when will this end so I can eat a treat???  I am thinking a lot about post W30 and not really sure how to prevent myself from just going crazy on everything I have avoided, but rather how to find my happy medium between health and indulgence.  

Since I mentioned it in my first post, I have also been faithfully doing my diastase recti exercises (4 kids...) and my abdominal gap has gone from 2.5 to 1.5, so I'm really excited about that as well.  :-)  

Archived