canned sweet potatoes without sugar

Tracy R.

I've never looked for them until this weekend when getting the ingredients for the No-Fuss Salmon cakes in the ISWF book. I bought fresh ones since I couldn't find canned ones. I'll bake them tomorrow morning so I can have them for the Salmon cakes tomorrow night. Thank you for posting how to roast them. I've never roasted a sweet potato before.

You can microwave sweet potatoes. I cut then into 1 inch cubes and put them in a bowl with a little water. 5 minutes and then stir. It may take a few more minutes. This is good when you need mashed sweet potatoes for a recipe. Much better to cook them in the oven when time permits.

I've never looked for them until this weekend when getting the ingredients for the No-Fuss Salmon cakes in the ISWF book. I bought fresh ones since I couldn't find canned ones. I'll bake them tomorrow morning so I can have them for the Salmon cakes tomorrow night. Thank you for posting how to roast them. I've never roasted a sweet potato before.

Hi Tracy, I made the salmon cakes and just grated the raw sweet potato and then mixed that in with the salmon. It worked a treat.

Michelle

I made the salmon cake recipe yesterday, and we bought frozen sweet potatoes (in a bag) for it. They were already cut into small pieces, and all we had to do was microwave them, let them cool, then add them to the mixture just like we would have if they came from a can.

And yes, I agree that they are yummy! Though only a few of them actually kept their shapes after cooking...the rest crumbled into pieces (they were still tasty though). We still have four cakes left after having them for dinner last night and lunch today. We doubled the recipe. :)

All of these response are so helpful. Thank you. I ended up not making them last night. I made tuna salad lettuce wraps instead cause I didn't get the sweet potatoes in the oven in time. I'm going to pick up some frozen ones to have on hand. After reading how much the salmon patties have been liked, I'm anxious to get them made. Gonna have to jiggle my menu around a bit so I can fit them in.

for my first try, I had parchment paper like the recipe calls for, and they stayed together and flipped perfectly. second try I was out, and they crumbled more when I tried to flip them and stuck to the pan.

good to know you can grate the raw sweet potatoes for this recipe. I was going to go looking for canned to make the recipe quicker and not have to have the oven on so long heating up the house.

my husband went nuts for these and said they seem so much like a "bready food," so we plan to make a giant batch and freeze them this weekend. the kids will also take them cold in their lunches. :)

I wonder if the frozen sweet potatoes have less moisture so it didn't hold them together as well? I was just thinking the raw grated ones might not bind as well either. I used baked sweet potatoes both times, but want to try canned if I can find them to make it super easy! And they might have the most moisture to hold things together.

I buy canned sweet potato purée and butter nut squash from either Whole Foods or The Fresh Market. The brand on the can says "Market Fresh" the ingredients.....sweet potato and thats it. Oh and it's organic. I buy these to use as a thickener when making sauces or when making soups. Great when making curries. Of course it's great all on its own too. :-)

• 3 years later...

Archived