Problem with prescription Vitamin D

Hi all,

So at the moment I am on a prescription vitamin D supplement that my doctor put me on because my levels were severely low at my last blood test. The ideal number is 30, 12 is considered low… I was at a 5. Now the specific reasons behind this and other results from the test we are still trying to figure out, but for the time being I am trying to finish the regimen she prescribed and see if it helps. I take the 50,000 unit pill twice a week. After the prescription is gone she wants me to take an over the counter Vitamin D for a while, so that one I can afford to be choosy on and pick whichever supplement has the best ingredients. But this prescription one is the worst, it has soybean oil, synthetic colors, all kinds of crap. 

These are the inactive ingredients: 

FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Yellow #5, Gelatin, Glycerin, Lecithin, Medium chain triglyceride, Purified water, Shellac glaze, N-Butyl alcohol, Simethicone, Soybean oil and Titanium dioxide.

I know. The worst. I want to finish the prescription because a lot of things have gone wrong with my body this year and I am trying to fix them and hoping this will help, but I also want to start Whole 30 on July 1 for the official one. Is there any way I can follow my doctor's prescription AND do the Whole30, or does taking this pretty much exclude me from the program? It's worth noting that I don't particularly care for this doctor and her solution to a Vitamin D of 5 and a TSH of 4.9 is to mail me a prescription for a supplement we've never talked about in person. We are going to go back to her and request more thyroid tests, and if she won't give them I am planning on finding a different doctor. 

• Moderators

Even though the prescription has several off-plan ingredients, the amount in a pill or capsule should not have a negative influence on your Whole30. We demand perfect adherence to the plan for non-prescription supplements, but appreciate that prescribed drugs/supplements deserve consideration. 

• 2 months later...

Check your vitamin d prescription and see if it is vitamin d3 or d2. If it's d3 it's good. Hopefully they have changed things because it used to be d2 and that isn't very beneficial. Talk to your Dr about the difference and check out the vitamin d council. It explains it better than I could and is run by a physician. I have always thought it weird that they even have a prescription for it. I found out because my ex MIL was telling me her Dr. prescribed it to her and she was having a lot of issues, she said it made her feel crazy. We googled it and found out it was D2. She took the info to her Dr and takes a d3 supplement now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm also on two supplements based on lab results (including vitamin D for deficiency) prescribed by my doctor that have glycerin in the capsule but not as an added ingredient to the supplement itself. I don't consider it a Whole30 fail that I've taken them through the 105 days I've been on the plan because they are necessary. My results are good and my medical issues are being resolved. It would be more detrimental for me to not take the supplements than to ingest a tiny amount of glycerin. Purists may say I've not technically done a "real" Whole30 because of the glycerin but I really don't care. I've stuck to the plan in every other way and am doing well so for me, yes, I have been and continue to be compliant with Whole30.

Archived