20 days in to my first W30. I was hoping this would help to heal my IBS symptoms, soes anyone have suggestions on anything to watch for? Attacks are so RANDOM I cannot imagine it would be food related. I have tried avoiding things like eggs with no change. (Granted, attacks are also few and far between but I just had some painful diarrhea a couple days ago. With food I eat all the time)

Now, 2 days late and I'm back to being constipated, like I have been for my entire life thus far (slight improvement since going paleo 6mo or so ago).

Anyway, feeling frustrated and hoping someone might have good experiences in this area! Thanks!

Have you looked at FODMAPs? That what caused my IBS symptoms, although mine were IBS-D and bloating. Keeping track of what I ate and how much is how I figured it out and learned what a can or shouldn't eat.

If you google paleo FODMAPs you'll find a good reference list. The Whole30 FODMAP list is not as informative.

Hi Rashel

As Lucie has said the best way to pinpoint problem foods is to keep a log - that way you can see exactly how what you eat relates to how you feel.

If you post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, along with activity/stress levels & sleep quality we could take a look and see if anything jumps out.

M1 - chix breast, fried potato, cabbage slice, and peach. 2c veg. 1/4 avocado. Coffee

M2 - 3 hb eggs, cooked few carrots w/ cabbage slice. 2c veg.

M3 - most of a chix breast, fried 1/2 beet & 1 plantain, 2 T tahini/olive oil mix. 1/2c fermented pineapple w/ water kefir.

This was the first day I had problems.

2nd day i ate much the same, using up leftovers and whatnot.

Picked up some Saccharomyces on 2nd day and took some.

3rd day ibs attack was done.

I do know sometimes eggs bother me and sometimes not and coffee can make the problem worse. Sometimes the water kefir/kombucha as well.

When my IBS was flared up I couldn't even think of eating anything in the cruciferous (cabbage/broccoli/cauliflower) family. It didn't matter if it was raw or cooked. Those foods acted violently and rapidly on my digestive system with bloating and diarrhea. I also had issues with peppers of any sort and tomatoes...I suspect due to the skins.

Luckily, that was may years ago and I have since recovered from IBS. From time to time if I am especially stressed I will experience issues. But I'm able to recognize it and control it before it gets bad.

M1 - chix breast, fried potato, cabbage slice, and peach. 2c veg. 1/4 avocado. Coffee
M2 - 3 hb eggs, cooked few carrots w/ cabbage slice. 2c veg.
M3 - most of a chix breast, fried 1/2 beet & 1 plantain, 2 T tahini/olive oil mix. 1/2c fermented pineapple w/ water kefir.

I bolded the high FODMAP foods in your meal list. I think if the plantain was unripe, it's worse than a ripe one, so I'm not as sure about the plantain. If I ate your M1, I'd be laid up for awhile in pain!

Assuming FODMAPs are a problem for you.....it's not to say you can't eat these foods, or that all of these foods are a problem for you. More that you need to log, test, and assess how they impact you. There are different types of FODMAPs. You may be sensitive to only one type or only certain foods in that subtype. The amount of each foods is also critical, for example eat 1/8th avocado, but not 1/4th. I think of it as a points system, each offending food counts as a point. By logging you'll learn how many points for each food and amount of it works for you.

This Monash University blog post explains it in more detail. I don't use the app, just the lists I find online and my own research on me.

Lucie

• 2 weeks later...

I think for me it is dairy (which has a big impact) and cruciferous veg, which I can eat if it is really well cooked like cauliflower and broccoli but can't really digest cabbage at all. I think the other FODMAPs are fine for me but that's why I'm doing the whole30- to find out! so far, day 5 and it's much better already but I am still very 'loose' when I have a poo in the morning. I think it's getting better though....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I really want to post under probiotic, but I can't figure out how to start a new topic. Help?

Go to the section of the forum you want to post in -- maybe Supplements would be right if you're asking about brands and types of probiotics -- and click the Start A New Topic button on the right hand side of the screen.

I found that my IBS is so much better now that I also take a magnesium taurate/potassium/taurine mineral supplement. I was worried that going on the Whole30 would make my IBS flare up since I swore by the whole grain diet I was on before but I think this supplement has really helped and it hasn't been a problem. I totally am in agreement with those who have mentioned that they couldn't eat any of the cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli foods, and I can't have caffeine-coffee, either. Those would put me in misery immediately.

Archived