Starting today and struggling already!

Bexstoth

Hi I am starting my first whole30 today. Doing ok so far but got very hungry this afternoon. Feeling a bit better after dinner but still a bit hungry.

If you are supposed to not snack (I am a grazer) and go 4 hours between meals when do you eat? I have eaten at 8,12 and 5 today but now facing 12 hours until breakfast tomorrow. What do you do??!

• Administrators

Hi Bex,

Going from grazing all day long to eating three full meals a day is going to take some time to get used to.  If you are hungry between meals, have a mini meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies and then increase the size of your meals the next day.  Don't snack on fruits alone or nuts alone or even fruits and nuts in combination, that won't do anything for you.

Were you in the habit of eating breakfast within an hour of waking before you came to Whole30? What are your sleeping habits like? Typically once your hormones are balanced (by eating within an hour of waking and a sensible bedtime with 8 hours of sleep), you should be absolutely fine not eating after dinner because your body is actually slowing down and winding down in order to prepare for the night's rest and isn't interested in getting food.  Night or evening snacking/eating isn't necessarily "normal" in the sense that it's what a human body needs.  

My eating schedule is 630am breakfast, 12pm lunch and 630pm dinner.  Sometimes between lunch and dinner I do need a little something to tide me over.  Hardboiled egg with mayo or chicken thigh with olives usually does the trick.  

Edited to add: feel free to post what you ate today, it's possible you aren't eating enough.

It took me a while to adjust (maybe until Day 10 or so). Now I can comfortably go 5-6 hours in between daytime meals without food-anxiety or raging hunger! But like ladyshanny said, it's also important that you are eating enough at your 3 meals to begin with.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I went to bed at 10 until 7 but not sleeping well with light mornings and my little boy was ill in the night so it was disrupted.

Today I had 3 eggs with strawberries, peach and nectarine for breakfast at 8:30am

Lunch at 12- tin of tuna, 1 avocado, beetroot, carrot and cucumber salad

4pm feeling a bit rubbish so had cooked chicken and 5 brazil nuts.

dinner at 5- lamb steak, cauliflower cous cous, green beans, apple, sultanas (tbsp) and spinach. 1tbsp of coconut oil to cook the lamb.

was feeling hungry and irritable but think it's passed now.

• Administrators

Hey Bex, you might want to ditch the morning fruit.  Lots of our members report feeling snacky/cravey in the evenings when they eat fruits in the morning. And you don't want to let fruits push veggies out of the way, get those veggies in first!

Good job on the mini meal, that works.

Your dinner could use more fat and it doesn't hurt to add more veggies overall.  Veggies will cause the "fullness", fat brings satiety and flavour and protein gives your meal the lasting power to get 4-5 hours in between.  If you find yourself hungry between every meal, increase each one of these macros by a bit and see how you do. Takes a bit of self experimentation.  :)

• Administrators

"Snacks" like we know them here in North America (hand to mouth mindless eating of nutritionally depleted foods) is bad, yes.  Eating just fruit alone between meals is not good due to its effect on your blood sugar.  Eating nuts alone is not recommended because they can be hard to stop once you start and they are hard on the stomach in many cases.  Plus they are high in Omega 6 which most of the western world does not need more of.

Eating when you are hungry is not considered "snacking" and isn't bad.  You determine if you are hungry (ie, would you happily eat something bland like steamed fish & brocoli), you make a small meal of protein and fat plus some veggies.  You sit down and eat it like you would a meal.  Then going forward you increase your meal size until you can get 4-5 hours between.

In some cases the distance between meals is too great to get through on just three meals a day.  We want you to eat if you are hungry but build your meals to satisfy you for 4-5 hours.  If you have almost 7 hours between lunch and dinner like lots of people do, you are going to need something in between.  Go ahead and eat!

• Administrators

Thanks, will go for more veggies tomorrow. I thought that was loads of fat at dinner though!

Loads of fat? The cooking fat stays in the pan for the most part unless you are scraping it out onto your plate.  1 tbsp of coconut oil as cooking fat is not a lot.  Don't fear the fat.  :)

Have you tried eating meat in the morning instead of eggs? Even if I eat 3 eggs and 3 cups of veggies for breakfast I am hungry for lunch. When I eat ground meat stir-fry with veggies I stay satisfied longer. You might want to mix it up and see what works. Fruit in the morning can make you crave it all day.You might try eating fruit at night and see if that is better. Remember that you should eat lots of veggies before you eat any fruit. Good Luck!

Thanks all, today has been better but I'm still having a mid afternoon slump where I feel a bit faint. any ideas?

today I ate: bacon eggs mushroom and tomatoes for breakfast with a slice of watermelon.

lunch (post workout) was tomato and mushroom omlette, salad and a banana

snack of chicken and leftover cauliflower 'cous cous' and 5 brasil nuts

dinner of potato salad with homemade mayo salmon and salad and 1/2 a grapefruit

Many people report that eating fruit in the early part of the day results in a slump in the afternoon so that could be an issue and something you might want to play around with.

Also, how many eggs did you eat for breakfast? It could be the cumulative result of meal one being too light in protein & fat to carry you through your workout, and the fact that you had no postWO meal (depending on what your WO was).

Factor in the fruit in the morning thing & therein (quite possibly) lies your answer.

Ok, just so as you know going forward (& can make anyone cooking aware too) when eggs are your only source of protein you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people. Bacon is a fat source on Whole30, not a protein.

Personally I find I stay better satiated if I mix up my protein sources though - so maybe add some ground beef/turkey, or some fish into those dishes.

Yep 3-4 for each meal. I've been known to eat 10 eggs in a day on occasion.

There are plenty of other protein sources though so don't be sickening yourself of eggs - especially for breakfast. It helps to stop thinking of it as breakfast and tostart thinking of it as meal one, that way you can eat anything at meal one that you'd eat at any other time of the day. A coconut curried chowder is yum first thing.

And yep, I'm in the UK too and bacon still counts as fat.

lol! ok bacon is fat, got it :)

yikes thats lots of eggs!

tomorrow I am planning steamed white fish and spinach for meal 1 so I think I'm getting my head round non traditional breakfasts :) I guess I will need some coconut oil with that too, though.

You'll definitely need some sort of fat.

You're also gonna need a she load of spinach for it to fill you up - think how much it reduces down it it cooks. I always add in chopped mushrooms & onions with mine to add bulk & then that mix tends to soak up the oil a bit more than if I'd had the spinach raw.

• Moderators

tomorrow I am planning steamed white fish and spinach for meal 1 so I think I'm getting my head round non traditional breakfasts :) I guess I will need some coconut oil with that too, though.

Or instead of steaming your fish, you could make it like this and not need extra fat (obviously, where it says butter, use ghee or some other oil).  You might want to prep the fish tonight so you just need to throw it in the oven in the morning, if you want to go that route.

Archived