Tongue and Mouth problems

Husband and I are on Day 4 of our Whole 30 and are having sensitive mouth issues, everything seems spicy (even my toothpaste) and our mouths feel blistery/puckery.- I can't think of anything we haven't eaten before that we are eating now.  We're using Ghee, but used butter before, we're using coconut oil, but have also used this before.  We're definitely eating more protein, avocado, and coconut milk.  It seems odd that if it were allergic we would both have it.  Any help appreciated because if this doesn't subside I don't think we're going to make it!

Husband and I are on Day 4 of our Whole 30 and are having sensitive mouth issues, everything seems spicy (even my toothpaste) and our mouths feel blistery/puckery.- I can't think of anything we haven't eaten before that we are eating now.  We're using Ghee, but used butter before, we're using coconut oil, but have also used this before.  We're definitely eating more protein, avocado, and coconut milk.  It seems odd that if it were allergic we would both have it.  Any help appreciated because if this doesn't subside I don't think we're going to make it!

Hi Stina

I just replied in the July thread - coconut can be problematic for some folk, although it's usually skin related or gastrointestinal, and I agree it would be odd that you'd both have the same reaction.

A few days worth of your food log along with liquids might be useful to pinpoint the trigger...

• Moderators

You said you haven't changed foods, but what about toothpaste, toothbrush, dental floss, mouthwash? Or even eating a lot more of something you've always eaten, especially things like peppers or onions or garlic?

It is weird you're both having the same symptoms and does make allergic reaction less likely, but it is still possible.

If it's been more than a day or two, you may want to talk to a doctor and rule out any medical causes.

• 2 years later...

StinaBomb did you find out what this was? I have what seems like the same thing and it’s driving me nuts. Not just my tongue feels raw, also my gums all the way up (not just where you floss I mean) and the back of my throat. I’m on day 10 and this has been going on since day 5. I was eating more coconut oil than is normal for me but I cut that out two days ago. My tongue is starting to feel different, like there is a coating on it I can’t get rid of. Yuck!

Archived