Runny nose?

I've had allergies/a runny nose my entire life... got allergy shots as a kid, took Claritin as a teen/adult.  I went off Claritin when I first got pregnant 7 years ago and haven't been back on it because I've been pregnant or nursing since then.

I did my first Whole30 last summer, did another right before I got pregnant and have eaten Whole 30ish since giving birth 8 months ago.

However, I've never gotten rid of the runny nose!!  I'm wondering if this is just something that I can't get rid of no matter how well I eat and likely does require medication after I'm finally done nursing, or if I should try to eliminate something else in my diet?

I've never eliminated any of the Whole30 compliant foods that are big contenders for 'allergies' or 'reactions' such as eggs, coconut, etc.  Wondering if it's worth it to do this or if these are even big contributors to runny noses?  I googled this question but couldn't find anything... yes, I realize I *could* try an elimination, but I just wonder if I'm truly reaching too far to 'cure' every ailment that I might possible have :)

Basically... I need someone to tell me if I'm just crazy in trying to elminate this or if anyone else has had this and found 'x' food to be the culprit!  :)

My runny nose stopped when I eliminated dairy, as did the cough & catarrh that went along with it. The ears, nose & throat are internally linked so I don't think it would be ridiculous to think that a food allergy could be causing yours - the trick as you say would just be in pinpointing the trigger via a process of elimination.

That said have you been checked for nasal polyps?

• Administrators

My runny nose & chronically congested (swollen) nasal passages cleared mostly all the way on Whole30 but have made even bigger improvement since instituting our egg reduction plan.  We still eat homemade mayo and the occasional Sunday diner omelette but no more daily eggs.

Ladyshanny - NOOOOOO! I don't want it to be eggs.  I love eggs and eat A LOT of them.  I eat them daily for breakfast and every Tuesday night (I work late and the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook a meal, so I resort to eggs).

But... I want my runny nose to go away more than anything, so I will try to eliminate eggs :(

• Administrators

Ladyshanny - NOOOOOO! I don't want it to be eggs.  I love eggs and eat A LOT of them.  I eat them daily for breakfast and every Tuesday night (I work late and the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook a meal, so I resort to eggs).

But... I want my runny nose to go away more than anything, so I will try to eliminate eggs :(

I mourned eggs.  I loved them.  LOVE.  I also loved the convenience of them, the portability and the bajillion ways to make a scramble, omelette or hash topped with eggs.  Trust me, I fought this for a long time.  I used to eat 2-3 each morning and then sometimes 2-3 at night if the hubby was working late or went for dinner with his mom.  And maybe a hard boiled egg somewhere in there.  For years.

What I didn't love was my eczema and various skin issues or the husband's psoriasis.  I wasn't expecting anything to happen so I was surprised to find that I noticed as much improvement as I did.  

We're in around the 6th week of our egg reduction and it's gotten easier.  I do definitely miss the convenience and cheapness though.

Ladyshanny - thank you, that helps a lot :)  We're in the same boat with the egg consumption... it's definitely the ease!  I have three young kids and work full-time so the ease of eggs is great in the morning and on those late work nights :)

You say you're on 6 weeks for the egg reduction... what I'm wondering now is how long it may take before I notice a difference?  I am hoping not another 30 days.  I do eat Whole30ish, but I'm not really feeling doing a complete Whole30, hoping for maybe 7-10 days before noticing a difference?

I am on my first egg free day today :)  Luckily, my dear husband came up with another quick/easy breakfast for me today.  A boatload of kale wilted in the microwave for 30 seconds, topped with some chicken sausage (those juices make the kale taste delicious), some blueberries and some leftovers from dinner last night (asian slaw from nomnompaleo) to round out the meal :)

Well, I'm on day 2 of no eggs and thus far, my runny nose is gone.  Also, interesting to note, I splurged and had Dairy Queen with the kiddos last night... so sugar (which did cause me a massive headache) and dairy... and things are still good.  So, it really must be the eggs!  I will admit, I don't overall feel great today, but I knew that when I did the treat last night ;)  Going to keep going with no eggs for a while though and see if things still stay under control.

• Administrators

Well, I'm on day 2 of no eggs and thus far, my runny nose is gone.  Also, interesting to note, I splurged and had Dairy Queen with the kiddos last night... so sugar (which did cause me a massive headache) and dairy... and things are still good.  So, it really must be the eggs!  I will admit, I don't overall feel great today, but I knew that when I did the treat last night ;)  Going to keep going with no eggs for a while though and see if things still stay under control.

haha, I read that as "Dairy Queen...no sugar" to which I thought "Woman, you are deluded if you think there was no sugar in DQ!" LOL!!

And sad to see about the eggs, but if the lack of runny nose is worth it to you, then great!  Also, after you reduce/eliminate eggs for a period of time (around 30 days or so), you can try adding them back and see what your threshold is!

Archived