Day 11 and STILL feeling bloated

Hey folks,
So I have reached Day 11 (no cheats!) and I am still feeling pretty shitty. We've been eating really great and I'm not craving any bad food, but still lots of bloating and tummy troubles. Is this normal? And also - and I know I'm not supposed to do this - I've only lost XXX  :((
Am I on the right track here? Is this common? I'm beginning to worry that there is something seriously wrong with my gut. Why the bloating when I've removed all the junk??
Please help!!!

Please, please, please stop weighing yourself. Firstly weight loss is not the focus here, secondly weight loss is not linear on a Whole30 - the first week you could be feeling leaner, then by week three you can feel bloated & heavier, and thirdly this is a 30 day program, not 11.

Shooting from the hip I'd say that too many nuts/nut butters, too many cruciferous veg, too many raw veg, too much ice cold water, or too much seltzer can all cause bloating & digestive stress but if you'd like to post a few days worth of your food & liquid intake along with activity, sleep & stress levels we can take a look and see if there any tweaks that you could make.

I always get bloated in week 2 and my clothes usually get tighter before they loosen in the last week or so...this isn't a diet where you may lose xlbs a week, it isn't linear and it's about so much more than numbers on a scale. I'd advise you to put the scale away, out of the house if necessary ;)

Okay, yes. Totally getting off the scale. I've only taken one peek!!

As for my daily food intake, here is what I ate in the last 24 hours. It's pretty typical.

: : Scrambled eggs, avocado, slivered almonds and salsa.

: : Sausage and tossed salad with peppers, cucumbers, avocado and oil and balsamic.

: : Usually an apple or banana or a few dates and almonds for a snack

: : Grilled chicken or steak for dinner, sweet potatoes, veg.

The veg I mostly eat is kale or spinach.

: : Heaping spoonful of cashew butter and an apple for dessert.

I drink a ton of water all day and get about 6-7 hours of sleep a night.

Okay, yes. Totally getting off the scale. I've only taken one peek!!

As for my daily food intake, here is what I ate in the last 24 hours. It's pretty typical.

: : Scrambled eggs, avocado, slivered almonds and salsa.

: : Sausage and tossed salad with peppers, cucumbers, avocado and oil and balsamic.

: : Usually an apple or banana or a few dates and almonds for a snack

: : Grilled chicken or steak for dinner, sweet potatoes, veg.

The veg I mostly eat is kale or spinach.

: : Heaping spoonful of cashew butter and an apple for dessert.

I drink a ton of water all day and get about 6-7 hours of sleep a night.

Ok, I've highlighted a couple of problem areas for you which I'll go through one by one:

The peppers & cucumbers can be hard to digest, peppers because of the skin & cucumbers because of the seeds so maybe ease off on those for a day or two.

Snacks are discouraged on Whole30 and the fact that you're effectively taking x2 snacks a day tells me that your meals aren't big enough even without you having given portion sizes. Fruit should not be eaten on its own as it will mess with your blood sugars. Eat it with, or as part of a meal (think of some strawberries with that spinach & kale salad for instance.

Desserts of any kind (even if made up of compliant ingredients) are off limits on Whole30 - eat more at meal three, then cleanse your palette with a herbal tea, or a glass or water, or some pickled goods.... or even just clean your teeth.

The nuts & nut butters are renowned for causing digestive stress - use them only in moderation, and by that I mean not every day.

Make sure you are getting at least half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 150lbs then drink 75 oz water.

Add in some fermented foods like sauerkraut, or a digestive enzyme and you should see some improvement.

• Moderators

We advise following the planning template for all meals: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf  You've got some work to do.

The only vegetable at your meal 1 was salsa. Most of the meal was protein and fat. You need a lot more veggies.

You had salad and raw veggies with sausage as meal 2. Then you had a snack because you did not eat enough at lunch. You would have to eat a bucket of salad to get enough veggies in that form because salad is mostly water and chews down to a bit of juice when you eat it. Cucumbers are the same. 

Eating dessert is a problem during a Whole30. It is a bad habit and we ask you to stop it. Shifting to compliant ingredients is not enough. 

The snacks that you are eating are a sign that you are not eating enough at your meals. Snack foods like nuts and fruit are a problem. When you eat them as a snack, you are replacing "real" food like meat, potatoes, and veggies. Don't ever save room for nuts and fruit! :)

The most common culprits for bloating in your menu is salad, raw veggies, nuts, and nut butters. Stopping them may make a big difference. Some people respond badly to avocado. If removing the other foods does not lead to improvement within a few days, try eliminating avocado. 

Depending on how different your food is now from what it was before, your gut may be busy adjusting. As jmcbn noted, consuming fermented foods for the probiotics or taking digestive enzymes may help. 

What you should know about probiotics

What you should know about digestive enzymes

Archived