Day 1 - July 12th :)

Teachkk

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went through that before the kill all things :(. Did you manage to get through it? I'm hoping you did...let me know. We spent the day in the city yesterday with all the Pan Am hype...lucky for me it was too hot to want anything but water! If you're still on track, I hope you have a better day!

Hi! I started my whole 30 on the 13th after a weekend of binging junk food. I did a whole 30 in September 2013 and it was the best thing I ever did. But between school and work I gained all the weight back I lost and got sicker and sicker. I'm hoping when I complete this Whole 90 I'll have better health. Waiting to find out how my thyroid is working next week and determining if I'm diabetic again. Ugh so sick of being sick. Hoping this way of eating will fix me again! 

I'm on day 7 and I am definitely feeling on target with the timeline. I'm so tired and just want to sleep forever. Eight hours is not enough. 

Just cooked up some awesome pork patties and eggs and loads of spinach for breakfast. Gonna go play outside later and get some vitamin D. 

CleaningUpLife it gets better! I swear and you feel better with yourself for not giving in! Keep it up! 

Welcome Alex! And Teach & cleaningup, glad you are still here! Day 8 for me and the tiredness/kill all things has finally lifted! I had a good night's sleep last night, didn't wake during the night, that's the first time in a LONG time! And that's enough to keep me motivated. Made this Friday night and it was awesome! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy-- tomorrow I'm making this, it's another one of my go-to recipes: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs

Hang in there! I was ready to give up a couple of days ago but have a cupful of new-found resolve so let's do this!

Hi! I started my whole 30 on the 13th after a weekend of binging junk food. I did a whole 30 in September 2013 and it was the best thing I ever did. But between school and work I gained all the weight back I lost and got sicker and sicker. I'm hoping when I complete this Whole 90 I'll have better health. Waiting to find out how my thyroid is working next week and determining if I'm diabetic again. Ugh so sick of being sick. Hoping this way of eating will fix me again! 

I'm on day 7 and I am definitely feeling on target with the timeline. I'm so tired and just want to sleep forever. Eight hours is not enough. 

Just cooked up some awesome pork patties and eggs and loads of spinach for breakfast. Gonna go play outside later and get some vitamin D. 

CleaningUpLife it gets better! I swear and you feel better with yourself for not giving in! Keep it up!

Awesome, Alexa! So glad you are here with us! I made the 'sausage' with turkey instead on a portobello cap for lunch...delish! Let's keep each other motivated :)

Welcome Alex! And Teach & cleaningup, glad you are still here! Day 8 for me and the tiredness/kill all things has finally lifted! I had a good night's sleep last night, didn't wake during the night, that's the first time in a LONG time! And that's enough to keep me motivated. Made this Friday night and it was awesome! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy-- tomorrow I'm making this, it's another one of my go-to recipes: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs

Hang in there! I was ready to give up a couple of days ago but have a cupful of new-found resolve so let's do this!

Thanks for the recipes, and happy to see you here, too! I feel great now also...no more headache and lethargy. It's so nice to have company on here :). I will post anything good I've made, too...pretty much sticking to the recipes in Whole30 until I feel confident in the do's and don'ts.

I just made cauliflower rice for the first time and it was so ridiculously easy I can't believe I haven't made it before! Sautéed it in pork lard and added some chicken and it was awesome. Nom Nom paleo has a garbage stir fry recipe that's fantastic and I think I'm going to add it to the cauli rice next time. My sister and nephew stayed with me overnight and sat through her eating froyo and cheesecake and drinking two bottles of wine. I didn't touch anything and stuck to my compliant meals....lol so I feel like that was a pretty great accomplishment haha

Happy there's a group to talk to who are going through the same things at the same time!

• I started on July 13, unfortunately just found this forum today, day 7.

I wish I had found you all earlier, so I wouldn't have felt so crazy when I wanted to kill everything, too! I didn't anticipate that.  Glad to know it was normal.  I drank a minimum of 8-10 diet sodas daily, and I finally feel like I'm over the addiction-esque part of that, but the habit is so hard to break.  I keep forgetting that I can't just reach for one any more. 

But I've stuck to this and so far it's not too hard. 23 days to go.

•  

I just made cauliflower rice for the first time and it was so ridiculously easy I can't believe I haven't made it before! Sautéed it in pork lard and added some chicken and it was awesome. Nom Nom paleo has a garbage stir fry recipe that's fantastic and I think I'm going to add it to the cauli rice next time. My sister and nephew stayed with me overnight and sat through her eating froyo and cheesecake and drinking two bottles of wine. I didn't touch anything and stuck to my compliant meals....lol so I feel like that was a pretty great accomplishment haha

Happy there's a group to talk to who are going through the same things at the same time!

I made the rice last week and had it with the chicken cacciatore - it was great!!  Good for you!!! It's so hard to see other people having wine...that's my hardest thing to give up.  It makes it sound like I'm addicted, I'm not, but definitely enjoyed a glass when I'm cooking or just relaxing.  Fun fact though - day 9 and I put on a pair of jeans that are one size smaller today!!!!!! Yay!!!  That's motivation enough for me :)  Have a great day!  Happy Day 9 :)

• I started on July 13, unfortunately just found this forum today, day 7.

I wish I had found you all earlier, so I wouldn't have felt so crazy when I wanted to kill everything, too! I didn't anticipate that.  Glad to know it was normal.  I drank a minimum of 8-10 diet sodas daily, and I finally feel like I'm over the addiction-esque part of that, but the habit is so hard to break.  I keep forgetting that I can't just reach for one any more. 

But I've stuck to this and so far it's not too hard. 23 days to go.

•  

Woohoo!!!  Good for you :)  It's so hard to break habits, isn't it?  Club soda just doesn't make up for it - haha.  Glad you've stuck to it, and happy you found us.  I love that we check in, share, and keep each other motivated.  Have a great day!!!

I just ate a fabulous lunch - and it was so easy to prepare!!  I bought baby kale and an inexpensive steak yesterday for my protein at lunch, and always have tons of veggies in my fridge.  I also wanted to use up some fruit that was just going to go bad.  I did a bed of kale, added sliced grapes, blueberries, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and pan fried the steak in a teaspoon of clarified butter and salt and pepper, just to char each side.  When the steak cooled a bit, I just sliced it and put about a third in my tupperware.  I brought a 1/4 of a lemon with me for dressing - it was delish!!!!  Made my lunch in less than 10 minutes and now I've got leftover steak for lunches tomorrow and Wednesday!  Brilliant :)  Hope everyone is having a great day.  Happy Day 9!!

Ugh tried to make fritters and they fell apart...turned them into sweet potato beet rice which was actually good. Mixed with some chicken and it was a good dinner. I made a huge pot of zucchini soup from Well Fed 2 - changed the recipe a bit to suit what I had on hand - and its good. Cant wait to drink it while I cook breakfast tomorrow and know I'm getting a ton of veggies in. 

Teachkk that salad sounds fantastic!

garlic mashed cauliflower turned out SO good! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1657598867/best-make-ahead-side-garlic-cauliflower-mashed-- one more day down, feeling good! family dinner tomorrow night, big group for my MIL's b'day, at Buca di Beppo!

Good luck when you are out...you CAN do it!!  I've been out for dinner twice and had to have my meal altered, but it all worked out fine.  I find it hard when people are downers re the things you can't eat - I do my best to be very positive and stress how good I feel already and how much I can eat.  That makes it a bit easier.  We are 1/3 of the way through our first Whole30 - woohoo!!!  Have a great day!

Day 10!!!!!!! Yay - we got this far :)  I feel so much better already...can't imagine what Day 30 will feel like!  On the weekend, I put together a few servings of my pork roast and sweet potato hash for breakfast and also made bone broth.  It is still in the fridge - haven't even looked at it as yesterday was a busy day.  I need to scrape off the fat and put it in smaller containers.  This morning I packed one of my breaky containers and made another great salad for lunch.  I'm finally used to black coffee, although I agree with Melissa...it has to be good coffee.  I bought a glass container (I hate the taste of coffee in those metal travel mugs) and make myself an Americano every morning before I leave...beats paying for Starbucks every day :)

Wishing all my Whole30 friends a wonderful day - it's another beautiful day here in Toronto.  Hope you are all well and getting in the groove of this.

Welcome to day 7 my friends!  Who is still with me?

Still here!

I'm definitely noticing that I feel very different than I have for as long as I can remember.  Hard to pinpoint exactly what - I feel like I could nap more often (likely the significant dip in my caffeine intake) and yet I'm not walking around in a brain fog, exhausted, and ready to sleep the day away at all times.  I feel cooler, as in not hot and sweaty all the time, but also not cold. I want to exercise (rather than feel like I should exercise) but I haven't gotten myself to start yet. I'm very bored with eggs, but I keep reminding myself that this.is.not.hard.  I have started to notice that some foods taste different to me now. Just a little different, but there's a definite change.  Macadamia nuts actually have a sweetness to them I never knew existed!  I suspect removing the ton of diet sodas daily allowed my taste buds to wake up a bit.

My biggest battle is the feeling of hopelessness over just how much weight I need to remove from my body to be able to really enjoy life again.  It's hard to look at a 10 month stretch of time devoted to weight loss & exercise, especially since so many people fail and I will not look the way I really want to at the end of the journey.  On the other hand, this is the first time ever that I approached this as a 'feel better' issue first instead of a 'look better' issue, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm also wondering if I need to do a Whole60 given how much weight I have to lose, but I'm not sure how to decide this.  I'm approaching this like the elimination diets I used for my kids when they reacted to foods as babies, and I'm interested to see what foods I can safely add back in.  I'm a vegetarian & eat eggs, but no other proteins on whole30 really, so quinoa and beans are probably smart for me to eat again.   I think I could go to day 60 with just eggs for my protein, but I'd probably hate eggs by the end.  I'd love any thoughts.

My biggest battle is the feeling of hopelessness over just how much weight I need to remove from my body to be able to really enjoy life again.  It's hard to look at a 10 month stretch of time devoted to weight loss & exercise, especially since so many people fail and I will not look the way I really want to at the end of the journey.  On the other hand, this is the first time ever that I approached this as a 'feel better' issue first instead of a 'look better' issue, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm also wondering if I need to do a Whole60 given how much weight I have to lose, but I'm not sure how to decide this. 

Hey nedelkma! Congrats on still being around! You're doing great. Keep it up!

I have the same internal struggle because I have about eighty pounds to lose. I catch myself focusing on the weight and feeling down when I realize how long I'm going to have to do this for, and then I remember that my feet are less swollen, I can go faster on the elliptical, and I'm sleeping through the night and I feel better. I think you should try focusing on the non scale victories. Do this because it makes you feel better. If you like to cook look for new recipes and really get into them. Try and find something within the program that you are super interested in and dive into it. I love to cook so I make sure each week I'm trying a new recipe, something I would never have made before, something that might be a bit of a project, and tackle it head on and enjoy every second of it. I think we as a society focus too much on the weight and Whole 30 really helps you shift your focus. I know you can do it! You'll kick ass on however many days you decide to do the Whole 30 for!

Also, I commend you for doing this as a vegetarian cause that must be super hard. I would just make sure your proteins are up. Frittatas or egg muffins are great ways to get veg and eggs in without it always being a scramble or a fried egg. I know there is a shopping list somewhere on here that shows what vegetarians can eat on the whole 30. I bet tofu dipped in egg and coated in almond meal or coconut flour and pan fried tastes amazing...you could do it over cauli flower rice and try and do a fried rice thing with coconut aminos. That actually sounds delicious lol.

You've got this! Don't focus on the weight and focus on all the non scale victories and you'll be just fine!

Still here!

I'm definitely noticing that I feel very different than I have for as long as I can remember.  Hard to pinpoint exactly what - I feel like I could nap more often (likely the significant dip in my caffeine intake) and yet I'm not walking around in a brain fog, exhausted, and ready to sleep the day away at all times.  I feel cooler, as in not hot and sweaty all the time, but also not cold. I want to exercise (rather than feel like I should exercise) but I haven't gotten myself to start yet. I'm very bored with eggs, but I keep reminding myself that this.is.not.hard.  I have started to notice that some foods taste different to me now. Just a little different, but there's a definite change.  Macadamia nuts actually have a sweetness to them I never knew existed!  I suspect removing the ton of diet sodas daily allowed my taste buds to wake up a bit.

I'm also wondering if I need to do a Whole60 given how much weight I have to lose, but I'm not sure how to decide this.  I'm approaching this like the elimination diets I used for my kids when they reacted to foods as babies, and I'm interested to see what foods I can safely add back in.  I'm a vegetarian & eat eggs, but no other proteins on whole30 really, so quinoa and beans are probably smart for me to eat again.   I think I could go to day 60 with just eggs for my protein, but I'd probably hate eggs by the end.  I'd love any thoughts.

I'm definitely in agreement with Alexasaurus - awesome that you are still here and working through this as a vegetarian!!  

Aren't we ridiculously hard on ourselves re weight??  I hate it, but it's true.  I had about 40 pounds to lose to be at my optimal health - lost 10 before I started just by becoming mobile again after my last surgery, so am looking at 30 more through this lifestyle change I am making.  Girls - I've been through a ton in the last two years...cancer, a botched hysterectomy that left me hooked up to tubes for 4 months, and then a serious hip operation that left me immobile for 3 months.  Your health is EVERYTHING.  I've always battled my weight and struggled with body image. I can tell you that if for nothing else, keep up with this for your health.  I looked at my beautiful children, my amazing husband, my friends and students (I'm a teacher/principal), and would have given the world to be a healthy person.  I am now (yay!) and now know how fast your life can change.  Eighty pounds? - you CAN do this!!  It will be hard, and you may feel so overwhelmed and depressed some days, but it can be done.  I always try to think of how my heart will feel when 30 pounds is gone.  What will my jellybelly look like then?  How will my back/hips/knees feel when they have this amount of weight less to carry around?  How much more energy will I have?  And let's be real - what will my relationships be like when I'm more confident, look better, can buy the clothes I like, rather than the ones that cover the fat.  

Let's keep each other motivated!!!  Yay that we are in this together :)

• Moderators

I need to scrape off the fat

Wait, what? Why are you scraping off the fat? That's the delicious part of the bone broth and provided your bones were from well raised animals, it's super duper healthy!

Wait, what? Why are you scraping off the fat? That's the delicious part of the bone broth and provided your bones were from well raised animals, it's super duper healthy!

I thought I was supposed to?  I will check the recipe in the Whole30 book again, but I thought that I was supposed to remove it. Haha - could have read that totally wrong ;)  Thanks!!

Awe I'm jealous of your bone broth! The last few batches I've made have turned out terrible. I have some nice beef bones in the freezer. Maybe I'll try it again this weekend! The zuchini soup from well fed is great except I was super hungry by 9. I had it at 730 with two small pork patties and some coffee with coconut milk and was hungry way too soon. I think my protein was way low. Usually I would have two of those pork patties and two eggs plus a fat. Tomorrow I'll probably just sip the soup while I make breakfast. It's delicious though.

Had a really foggy morning. I'm an intern in a legal office and was trying to redraft some rules for court and my head was just pounding and my eyes were glassy, and I couldn't focus. I took some advil after lunch and it seems to have cleared. Also, I had a lara bar at 10 because I was starving but at 1230 on the way back from my lunch break walk I felt very weak. I worked out this morning and was fine so I don't know why that happened. I ate a huge lunch of cauliflower rice, chicken, sauerkraut, olives, and mango and feel a lot better.

Also, Teacherkk it sounds like you had a rough few years! I'm glad you're doing this and finding positivity in every corner and are feeling better! I dislocated my kneee a few years back and that's when I gained a lot of my weight back. I look at it now as a blessing in disguise to get me to this point because I would just keep yo-yoiing on crappy fad diets if I hadn't gained enough to really change my life.

Lol, in order of appearance and age this is how many FAD diets I've done:

6-12yo - Mom restricting food and me binge eating in a closet.

13yo - Hollywood Orange Juice cleanse - just drink this mix for three days straight. Lost ten pounds. Binge ate it all back.

18yo - CleaneatingWeightloss - just eat these perfect portions and these supplements and take all these pills and you should never be hungry. Lost ten or twenty pounds, gained seven over night, binge ate the rest.

19yo - Overeaters Anonymous - just eat three small meals a day with one small protein and one fruit and two cups of veggies twice a day while calling in to meetings and listening to people talk about pizza while not talking about pizza.

20yo - The Smart For Life Diet - blech just eat these six cookies a day and a dinner of lean fish or chicken with two cups of veggies.This thing I did perfectly for 10 months. 800 calories a day for 10 months and I lost 65lbs. I couldn't run. I didn't have enough energy to walk. I was sad and depressed. I was sickly looking but hey I was skinny.

21yo - gained back some of the last diet so mom put us on HCG diet - give yourself a shot of HCG and B12 every morning for five weeks and only consume 500 calories of egg whites and green apples. I got so sick we had to stop. My blood sugar bounces around and I only lost ten pounds.

22-24yo - lots of tries at WW

25yo - bodybuilding cutting type eating

26yo - finally found Whole 30 and paleo and did really well on it for many months before life got in the way. But got better, ate enough, felt full, never had sugar shakes, got my period on time, healed my diabetes blood pressure and some pcos and dermatological issues.

Lol, I'm not actually sure why I just shared all that but it felt good to write down...

• Moderators

Wow! That's an amazing story and while I know it's yours, it's very likely the story of a massive percentage of women who come here and basically who live on the planet! I"m so glad you're healed!

Finding Whole30 must have felt like a soft place to land and your non scale victories are just amazing!

• Moderators

I thought I was supposed to?  I will check the recipe in the Whole30 book again, but I thought that I was supposed to remove it. Haha - could have read that totally wrong ;)  Thanks!!

I don't like the way broth tastes (or really more the way it feels in my mouth) with the fat still on, so I always remove it. You can save it to cook with if you want. If you like it with the fat, leave it.

• Moderators

Awe I'm jealous of your bone broth! The last few batches I've made have turned out terrible. I have some nice beef bones in the freezer. Maybe I'll try it again this weekend! The zuchini soup from well fed is great except I was super hungry by 9. I had it at 730 with two small pork patties and some coffee with coconut milk and was hungry way too soon. I think my protein was way low. Usually I would have two of those pork patties and two eggs plus a fat. Tomorrow I'll probably just sip the soup while I make breakfast. It's delicious though.

Had a really foggy morning. I'm an intern in a legal office and was trying to redraft some rules for court and my head was just pounding and my eyes were glassy, and I couldn't focus. I took some advil after lunch and it seems to have cleared. Also, I had a lara bar at 10 because I was starving but at 1230 on the way back from my lunch break walk I felt very weak. I worked out this morning and was fine so I don't know why that happened. I ate a huge lunch of cauliflower rice, chicken, sauerkraut, olives, and mango and feel a lot better.

Also, Teacherkk it sounds like you had a rough few years! I'm glad you're doing this and finding positivity in every corner and are feeling better! I dislocated my kneee a few years back and that's when I gained a lot of my weight back. I look at it now as a blessing in disguise to get me to this point because I would just keep yo-yoiing on crappy fad diets if I hadn't gained enough to really change my life.

Lol, in order of appearance and age this is how many FAD diets I've done:

6-12yo - Mom restricting food and me binge eating in a closet.

13yo - Hollywood Orange Juice cleanse - just drink this mix for three days straight. Lost ten pounds. Binge ate it all back.

18yo - CleaneatingWeightloss - just eat these perfect portions and these supplements and take all these pills and you should never be hungry. Lost ten or twenty pounds, gained seven over night, binge ate the rest.

19yo - Overeaters Anonymous - just eat three small meals a day with one small protein and one fruit and two cups of veggies twice a day while calling in to meetings and listening to people talk about pizza while not talking about pizza.

20yo - The Smart For Life Diet - blech just eat these six cookies a day and a dinner of lean fish or chicken with two cups of veggies.This thing I did perfectly for 10 months. 800 calories a day for 10 months and I lost 65lbs. I couldn't run. I didn't have enough energy to walk. I was sad and depressed. I was sickly looking but hey I was skinny.

21yo - gained back some of the last diet so mom put us on HCG diet - give yourself a shot of HCG and B12 every morning for five weeks and only consume 500 calories of egg whites and green apples. I got so sick we had to stop. My blood sugar bounces around and I only lost ten pounds.

22-24yo - lots of tries at WW

25yo - bodybuilding cutting type eating

26yo - finally found Whole 30 and paleo and did really well on it for many months before life got in the way. But got better, ate enough, felt full, never had sugar shakes, got my period on time, healed my diabetes blood pressure and some pcos and dermatological issues.

Lol, I'm not actually sure why I just shared all that but it felt good to write down...

I was really lucky, in that my mom didn't ever make me diet, and I don't even really remember her being on diets until I was older, so that part I was fortunate enough to miss -- but a lot of your timeline looks very familiar. Not exactly the same diets, but a lot of trying different things, and doing well for a while, and then having periods of gaining all the weight back, and beating myself up for it, and eating disgusting prepackaged meals every day and feeling very virtuous because I was eating so little, and then binging and feeling like a failure -- sadly, way too many women have similar stories.

I'm glad you found your way here, and I'm really glad there's a "here" for us to have found.

Archived