Sweet Potato 'Chips'

CharlotteWhole30

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, scma said:

Actually, I think that is kind of the point. It's to make food just plain old food, not a source of so much emotion.

I google Whole 30 sometimes for whatever day I'm on and people's blogs have desserts and snack foods and stuff all made of compliant ingredients that they are bragging about - and they are missing the point entirely.

I would disagree immensely with this. The purpose is not to take all the delicious stuff away. Of course there is emotion surrounding food and that's OK. It's alright to really enjoy your baked sweet potato cubes with your meal. It's supposed to taste good and we want people to enjoy their meals and feel happy eating them.

On the other hand if a person is coming home after a bad day and mowing through 3 sweet potatoes because they need carbs/comfort/sweetness etc then they would want to consider their own emotions and actions. That's the relationship we're after changing.

Removing enjoyment from food is not now and has never been the point of Whole30. You can change your relationship without removing the fact that food tastes good and makes us feel good.

the desserts and puddings and snacks are totally out though, on that we all agree!

I get what @scma is saying but I also think @ladyshanny has it right too.

Food *can* be awesome.  I think the emotional connection W30 is trying to break is the "If I eat X, then I feel Y", or "If I feel Y I'm going to eat X to feel different" ... it's that IF/THEN relationship that I think is damaging.  Where one is looking for the food to assist in a state change.  When the food is awesome in-and-of-itself, that can be a healthy thing.  Acknowledging that you are eating delicious & nutritious food and you feel like a rockstar while doing it is a worthy goal for anyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, please note that effective April 1, 2017 all store bought chips are no longer Whole30 compliant. This decision was made with our Whole30ers in mind so that everyone can get the most out of their Whole30 and clear up prior confusion. Best wishes!

Archived