The ship sails again! Anchors aweigh!!

fmr_sailor

Jammie Dodgers and Jaffa cakes are biscuits...maltesers are chocolate covered honeycomb type sweets x

I adore Maltesers! I used to get them at this little British store whenever I was on vacation in Monterey, CA. Thanks for the happy memories, Britishgal!

Erica, sorry about your Larabars...but that scene was too funny, and all too familiar. I just kee reminding myself: Whole30 is a learning tool.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love being able to leave the house for A WHILE and not have to worry about bringing a snack or getting overly hungry and dizzy.

Yes! This is the best. It's so freeing to not feel like I have to pack a snack or worry about food when I'm out for a long time.

Yes! This is the best. It's so freeing to not feel like I have to pack a snack or worry about food when I'm out for a long time.

Problem is I forget about the fact that my kids aren't really doing a Whole30. I kept them out a *little* too long yesterday. Oops!

Today is feeling like an Eat. All. The. Things. Day. Had an 3 egg omelet with peppers, onions, potato, and chopped chorizo inside, and a small bowl of blueberries for breakfast. For lunch had a salad with carrots and olives, dressed with balsamic & oil. And chicken salad, sweet potato, and steamed cauliflower with a tsp of ghee. It was fantastic! I think I feel like eating because I feel totally wrung out from weights this morning. It's not like hunger from my stomach, but more a desire to get more energy, so I'm desiring food. I'll keep it in check though. Zumba tonight should be *invigorating* as it always is on the same day as weights. Lol. Then that three mile run on Wednesday morning is always a challenge, but running on tired legs sometimes is good training for tough spots in races.

Now, let's see how the rest of the day turns out..... :-)

I'm also seeing benefits in my sleep. The past two nights I've slept more soundly than usual. I'm a big time light sleeper and toss and turn a lot. I did have a weird deep dream about spiders last night though. But I suppose that's better than dreaming about eating off plan foods. And definitely better than dreaming about eating spiders....

Alright, NSV!! I have been having an I. Want. To. Eat. All. The. Things. Day. So I added a bit more fat to lunch, and I had 1.5 palms of protein for dinner (usually do just a palm). But still wanted to eat after Zumba. I wanted raisins and a fruit & seed bar. OH NO!! (MeadowLily, get over here with your Raid! Lol). So I made a cup of tea and gave myself some time to evaluate. By about 9:15, I was feeling some hunger, and still craving like mad and about to feed that Sugar Dragon. So I ate........

Three slices of organic turkey and one ounce of almonds! Yayyyyy!!!! Yes, I know most times the nuts are kinda taboo around here, but it WASN'T raisins. It WASN'T that big ole beautiful peach in my fridge. It WASN'T a fruit & seed bar. It was protein. It was fat. And I'm happy!!

Alright, NSV!! I have been having an I. Want. To. Eat. All. The. Things. Day. So I added a bit more fat to lunch, and I had 1.5 palms of protein for dinner (usually do just a palm). But still wanted to eat after Zumba. I wanted raisins and a fruit & seed bar. OH NO!! (MeadowLily, get over here with your Raid! Lol). So I made a cup of tea and gave myself some time to evaluate. By about 9:15, I was feeling some hunger, and still craving like mad and about to feed that Sugar Dragon. So I ate........

Three slices of organic turkey and one ounce of almonds! Yayyyyy!!!! Yes, I know most times the nuts are kinda taboo around here, but it WASN'T raisins. It WASN'T that big ole beautiful peach in my fridge. It WASN'T a fruit & seed bar. It was protein. It was fat. And I'm happy!!

Congratulations!! that is a huge accomplishment! way to keep that sugar dragon at bay!

Today is Day 8, farther than I've made it in my last two attempts at a Whole30 this month. I feel fine, normal, just regular me. I've not really been missing much, but did figure out a good afternoon drink to fill the hole where my skinny Starbucks latte used to be. I made a Tazo chai from a tea bag, then sprinkled in some cinnamon, and topped it off with a bit of unsweetened cashew milk. It was so good that I had two! I'm thinking of trading out my second cup of coffee in the morning for this. And that is a BIG DEAL! I am gonna start seeking out a really rich yummy chai tea, as the one I bought is low quality (but still tasty enough). Starbucks sells an Oprah Chai that is really good, just have to make sure it's compliant. Gonna go check it out today.

My runs have been regular. I've had some residual soreness that I'm hoping will subside more quickly as I continue through the 30 days. And...I am going to take two Intro to Crossfit classes at a box in the town near me. I've always been curious about Crossfit, and I can't push myself as hard in the classes I teach as I can when I'm working out as a "student." I'm excited to try it!

I'm struggling with whether to break my Whole30 (again, ugh) for my daughter's birthday on August 1st. Originally I'd planned to restart after it, but was so frustrated with myself last week that I decided to start early. My husband is restarting on August 3rd, and I'd planned to go through with him. I don't know.... I mean, it's just food. Why is it so hard???

So, what did you decide and do yesterday? Either way it was the right decision for you, I'm just curios. Hope you DD had a great birthday!

I've been wondering how you did today too...

Well, this sailor abandoned ship, unfortunately on the evening of Day 8. Needless to say, I feel like an utter Whole30 failure. I have never not succeeded at anything as badly as this. I've always had a sense of perseverance and determination. Now, that's not to say I've never started something and not finished it. That's happened. But I imagine that my Sugar Dragon is a sneaky, awful beast who knows exactly what to say to get me off track with this program. Fourteen years of Weight Watchers..... There have been times I've been off track, but I always manage to get back on. But these measly 30 days are really giving me a go! July feels like it's been the Longest. Month. Ever. With all my stops and starts. I'm reading The Paleo Solution right now, and I believe the science (although I don't subscribe to the theory of evolution) of this way of eating. I've contemplated a restart tomorrow..... But what if I fail again? Counting points is comfortable and effective. I can eat Paleo-style....but I'd have to watch the point-dense fats. Ugh.....what to do.....

Thanks for thinking of me. I've been watching the forums to see how the July 1st group fared. Now to see if there's a place for me with the August 3rd people.......

Try again tomorrow...look on the other attempts as test runs, trial periods.

I agree. Is your DH still planning on giving it a go? That support will help. You've learned so much with the other attempts I truly believe if you commit to it you will succeed.

Also don't believe for one minute that others (myself included) have never failed at a whole30 attempt. I may have 6(and a bit) under my belt but I stopped counting the number of times I stopped well before 30 days outside of those completed ones.

Sometimes things take a while to click into place.

Plus Jen is right, your husband's support will help...my 7 year old has been known to talk (or rather plead with) me out of falling into the chocolate wagon and if he can do it I'm sure your other half can x

Also don't believe for one minute that others (myself included) have never failed at a whole30 attempt. I may have 6(and a bit) under my belt but I stopped counting the number of times I stopped well before 30 days outside of those completed ones.

Sometimes things take a while to click into place.

Plus Jen is right, your husband's support will help...my 7 year old has been known to talk (or rather plead with) me out of falling into the chocolate wagon and if he can do it I'm sure your other half can x

My eight year old has been the one to really encourage me to keep going. Not sure about DH though... He's pretty passive and just kinda lets things happen. I think he won't want to restart because he's afraid I will quit again.

Thanks for the encouragement. I want to restart tomorrow. And it's a good day to because I'm trying CrossFit for the first time tomorrow morning at 5:30!!

Is there a pattern to your falling off the wagon? Is it always similar foods you fall into? Alcohol? Feeling like you deserve something? Sometimes if you can preempt that feeling or thought pattern it can help you come up with some strategies

Plus do you topple head first into non compliance all at once or make one small bad choice then think "bugger it" and run screaming towards SAD foods?

PS good luck at cross fit, and see? You can get into a routine ;) I can't even get myself to put in a DVD and exercise in my lounge never mind put on my trainers and go for a run. You've beaten me there already!

Hi fmr_sailor,

Have you considered tabling WW while you do the W30?  The reason I say that is, having done WW several times over the years, I think the two programs may be incompatible.  With WW if you have a special day, you can plan for it and still stay within the program, nothing is off limits ever so long as you weigh it and count it and you stay within your points balance.  W30 on the other hand restricts your eating to certain foods but then allows you to have anything with in that template and it doesn't allow for special days.  If I read you correctly and you've been doing WW for a long time with a lot of success, you may be bringing that mindset into the W30?  I don't know, this is just what jumped into my head when I was reading your posts.  Good luck on your next go round!

Is there a pattern to your falling off the wagon? Is it always similar foods you fall into? Alcohol? Feeling like you deserve something? Sometimes if you can preempt that feeling or thought pattern it can help you come up with some strategies

Plus do you topple head first into non compliance all at once or make one small bad choice then think "bugger it" and run screaming towards SAD foods?

PS good luck at cross fit, and see? You can get into a routine ;) I can't even get myself to put in a DVD and exercise in my lounge never mind put on my trainers and go for a run. You've beaten me there already!

Alcohol is a total non-issue for me. Thank goodness I don't have that hurdle to overcome! I think the Whole30 style of eating is just so out of my comfort zone that I keep kind of panicking and quitting. I feel uncomfortable with what I perceive as unrestricted eating because I'm afraid I will gain weight. It's crazy, and I probably need the Whole30 a lot more than I'm willing to admit for the mental aspect much more than the potential physical benefits. Change is scary....

I've lost weight twice and the first time kept it off for years...both times have been whole30 style eating. The first time I was 28, overweight after an abusive marriage, and I made up my own diet that was shockingly like w30 (my healthy version of Atkins with meat and fish and veg and dairy) and the second time over the last few months.

Ww for me is short lived as was Scottish slimmers and both played into my previous eating disorders.

This way of eating can help lose weight and keep it off, and it has left me far far healthier both mentally and physically.

Plus it's not unrestrictive at all...you can eat everything in ww and I found that crippling. Use your love of rules and restrictions and apply it to this if it helps . Put the rules up in your fridge.

I've lost weight twice and the first time kept it off for years...both times have been whole30 style eating. The first time I was 28, overweight after an abusive marriage, and I made up my own diet that was shockingly like w30 (my healthy version of Atkins with meat and fish and veg and dairy) and the second time over the last few months.

Ww for me is short lived as was Scottish slimmers and both played into my previous eating disorders.

This way of eating can help lose weight and keep it off, and it has left me far far healthier both mentally and physically.

Plus it's not unrestrictive at all...you can eat everything in ww and I found that crippling. Use your love of rules and restrictions and apply it to this if it helps . Put the rules up in your fridge.

Thank you so very much for all of your advice and encouragement! I really need it a lot more than I realized. My husband is kinda sick of all my food issues, so he's never been much help in that department. Today is a wash, but I plan to begin tomorrow. My house is still compliant, so I'm good on that front. I even ate a compliant breakfast (lunch not too good) this morning.

Alcohol is a total non-issue for me. Thank goodness I don't have that hurdle to overcome! I think the Whole30 style of eating is just so out of my comfort zone that I keep kind of panicking and quitting. I feel uncomfortable with what I perceive as unrestricted eating because I'm afraid I will gain weight. It's crazy, and I probably need the Whole30 a lot more than I'm willing to admit for the mental aspect much more than the potential physical benefits. Change is scary....

Okay, so we've identified your fear, and maybe now can work through it.  You perceive it as unrestricted eating, but is it? you are restricted in what you can eat due to the food groups that are eliminated, and you can think of it as being restricted in the amounts if you are eating within the template. You are active enough that even if you ate at the upper limits you'll still maintain and very probably lose weight or at least improve your body comp.  I had a lot of these same fears the first time and was absolutely shocked to find my clothes fitting better and better. I really think you just need to stick it out long enough for you to see the difference. 

The longest you've gone now is what? 10 days? So, this time make it a Whole 14. For  2 solid weeks do not deviate from the template. I know you can do that.  Then on day 15 assess how you feel. Are you seeing differences in your clothes, your energy, your skin, your sleep. AND THEN, decide if you are going to see it through for a Whole 21 (or even a whole 30 if you're feeling super amazing and committed) or decide if you need a small break. The decision to take that break is no a failure, it is a decision. it takes the pressure off. The only pressure is to do 2 weeks. I think the pressure you put on yourself is also part of the reason you keep bolting, so let's minimize it m'kay? ;) 

With each go, you keep coming back so I know you really do want to complete this. And I know you really will, when the time is right.

Day One, take four.....I don't think I ate enough for meal one. And I'd already had a pre and post workout meal. Or it could be that I'm just completely fried from the Crossfit intro class yesterday, and then we started a new routine in my weights class this morning. I feel like a wrung out washrag.... But in a good way. Yes, it possible.

Archived