Beef Broth

Boo1026

I have had a terrible time trying to find a beef broth that is acceptable.

Went to butcher yesterday and he had no bones and said they are hard to come by.

Apparently everyone is looking for bones!

I did find Rachel Ray's All natural beef flavored stock.

Has: Concentrated beef stock (beef stock, sea salt, yeast extract), veg. stock (carrot, celery, onion, leek and nat.

flavor).

Is yeast extract ok????

• Moderators

Just to throw this out there -- for most recipes, you can use any broth, doesn't have to be beef. Beef would probably be richer, but chicken or vegetable would work. 

You can also start looking for bone-in cuts of meat and save your bones in the freezer until you have enough to make broth. I save chicken bones in one container, and any other bones in another -- I like chicken broth plain, but mixing beef and pork (and lamb or whatever else I might occasionally have) doesn't bother me.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the bones have to be from organic animals?  I have a great latin market where I can get all the bones I want from various animals but they are not organic.  Can't find organic bones anywhere.  I know organic are ideal but is non-organic better than buying store bought organic broths?  Thanks.

• Moderators

If you're using 'non ideal' bones, that's fine if that's what you can find but it's recommended to scrape the fat off and discard it if you don't know the origin of the animals as fat is where an animal stores the antibiotics and toxins that they encounter.

And in my opinion, making it yourself ALWAYS trumps store bought... for anything!

Archived