Is a sweet potato enough of a vegetable?

Mrs

I was just wondering if a sweet potato counts as enough vegetable to go with a meal?  It seems like it should be under the carb category.  What about white potatoes?  Would you add other vegetable with potatoes if you are eating them or is this enough? 

I eat sweet potatoes in the morning. I prebake them and then slice up a few and heat them up. This go round, I've added in some prebaked asparagus. I have issues with greens, so I mostly eat root vegetables with some greens. But it's up to you how you feel and how many other starchy veggies you have during the day.

• Moderators

Mrs - 

It's highly recommended that you eat the 1-3 cups of non starchy carbs along with your potato/sweet potato/root veg. The starchy carb recommendation is a fist sized serving so it's not near the quantity of veg the template asks for.

I have been reading the Whole30 book and reading the meal template and I don't see where it talks about the root veggies.  Thanks for the info!  It's hard for me to want to eat veggies (like greens) in the morning so I've been scrambling in some peppers, mushrooms, and onions in my eggs and eating potatoes (white or sweet) on the side.  It keeps me really full, but I was hoping that was enough veggies for one meal.

• Moderators

Hi Mrs! Peppers, mushrooms and onions are all considered non starchy vegetables and a great choice for the morning! Make sure you're getting at least a cup, ideally two and then along with the potato you're doing well!

Prior to Whole30, my plate was 1/4 protein (meat), 1/4 starch (rice, quinoa, etc), and then 1/2 vegetable. With a long time history with Weight Watchers, I think of my sweet and regular potatoes as a starch. So when I build my plate I have basically replaced the "starch" with just potato. Although the breakdown looks more like this now:

1/4-1/3 protein, less than 1/4 sweet potato (about my fist size and I have small hands), and whatever room is left I fill with other vegetables. :-)

Archived