New Around Here - Anyone Starting August 10?

kndacus

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kaye and everyone, I am a newbie too...

Is anyone from Montreal or Canada??  I am starting on August 13  (going to an organization lunch and event on the 12th) Went to Costco yesterday, stocked up on Avocados, Zucchini, Sweet Potatoes, Shallots, Bell Peppers, tilapia and red trout - already have chicken, steak in the freezer.    Also purchased a Spiralizer, good cutting boards and glass storage containers.  The only thing left is the cheesecloth for making clarified butter. 

My husband and I are anxious to get started.  My only concern is CRUNCH - one must have CRUNCH in their day - that has been my motto forever - so Carrots and Jicama here I come.

I am now here in Quebec and I am having trouble finding the Coconut Aminos - I have been using Braggs for a long time but it is non-compliant for the Whole 30.

Thursday morning I plan on having steak, eggs, sweet potato and some fruit for breakfast --- then plan on cooking all day after that. 

I hope everyone who has started is doing well.  My husband and I are retired so the stress of work, etc is not a factor in keeping up with the program. 

Day 3 here. 

Sick of turning down chances to see friends, so I am going to do my best to join some people for a bit at the bar later and drink club soda. Wish me luck! I can't hide forever! (Or will I have to? We'll see!) 

My energy is pretty low, and I'm having some minor stomach discomfort (gas and loose stool). I guess energy and stomach stuff is common as the body adjusts? I'm hoping it goes away soon. Yesterday felt pretty good, but today is foggy and I need to get some challenging research work done. I also woke up a little panicked that I got rid of so much expensive food instead of hiding it, but I know it's for the best. 

On the plus side, I am not having any post-meal hot flashes or blood sugar rushes and my chronically plugged sinuses are continuing to drain, which is terrific.  

I'm going to check out some of the vegetarian stuff on the blog later, as I can already foresee getting grossed out by this much meat on a daily basis. Any veggie protein suggestions would be welcome! 

Keep up the good work everyone! 

• Administrators

I'm going to check out some of the vegetarian stuff on the blog later, as I can already foresee getting grossed out by this much meat on a daily basis. Any veggie protein suggestions would be welcome! 

Hey kidsparrow, if you are having trouble with the amount of animal protein, you might want to know that you aren't alone.  This is a good article with other excellent resources linked within it: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Note that it is not Whole30 compliant to combine the veggie version (using plant based protein) and the omnivore version.  It's one or the other......and if you can, we highly recommend the omnivore one. 

Hi Kaye - Laura Lee here. My start date for my first round of Whole 30 was August 10 also! I don't know a lot yet about how this will work, but one thing I am doing is focusing on all the foods I CAN have, instead of the ones I can't. I am excited to try the recipes too and will check yours out on your blog. Any favorites?

Good luck,

Laura Lee *(*

• Administrators

Day One ended successfully yesterday although I seriously wished for a popsicle after my large dog accidentally headbutted me in the face causing me to smash my teeth together and chomp on my tongue.  Poor husband...one second I was snuggling the dog and the next I'm laying flat out on the lawn slightly concussed and bleeding from the mouth.  (he had a rather vigourous sneeze and startled the dog right while I was nuzzling her)

Day Two in the books (as far as my computer access goes, anyway).

M1: chicken thighs diced and sauteed with snow peas, bell peppers, sweet onion and green beans.  Half avocado, coffee w/ coconut milk & gelatin

M2: can of sardines w/ Frank's Red Hot, 1 hard boiled egg, half avocado, a large bowl of silky zucchini soup

M3: going to be leftover pork chop (made with this seasoning minus the sugar) stir fried w/ zucchini, snow peas, carrots, green beans and then all doused in coconut milk, served over Green Goddess Cauli Rice

Did much better getting from breakfast to lunch today with the addition of a delightful little hard boiled egg.  6.5+ hours is just a little too long to go without something in between.  The egg worked well.....although I'm not really supposed to be eating eggs.  *sigh*

I love reading everyone's updates and advice - very helpful!

I just finished Day 2: 

Breakfast - 2 eggs fried in ghee/ 1/2 baked sweet potato

Lunch - italian pork roast/ 1/2 apple sliced/ lightly pickled beets/small portion of leftover roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts

Dinner - baked sweet potato/ tomato sauce with ground beef (had it with spaghetti squash last night)

I also had a black iced coffee at Starbucks this afternoon - another first!

Feeling OK energywise - a low-grade tummyache but nothing too awful.

How's everyone else doing?

Kristy

• Administrators

Don't forget to add your fats, kmb. Cooking fat usually stays in the pan unless you are actively scraping it out onto your food. If the Italian pork was a shoulder, that's probably good for fat but your dinner needs a fat source. :)

I just got to a point at which I could blog about Day 1 (here: https://fabulousby40.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/whole30-day-1-recap-and-recipes/). Today, I had my first eating-out challenge, which was meeting a coworker for breakfast (we work from home, and she's the only coworker who lives close enough so we can get together occasionally to socialize). We went to a restaurant called the Puffy Muffin . . . so you can well (and rightly) imagine that pretty much everything they have isn't Whole30 compliant! But I planned ahead by getting on the website Monday night to review the menu. I ended up ordering a la carte: two eggs (over easy) and 3 pieces of bacon. I'm sure the bacon wasn't compliant (i.e., I'm sure there's sugar in the cure), but I'm not going to sweat it.

I went to the grocery store after that, even though I still haven't completed my meal plan for the week---which was a mistake, because I ended up spending way too much money, mostly on meat. But everything I got is compliant and the meat will keep well in the freezer. ;-)

I also made mayonnaise. If you don't have an immersion blender (stick blender) and you plan to make your own mayo, get one immediately. (You can get a corded one for around $20 at Amazon or Target.) To make mayo with it, you put all of the ingredients (including all of the oil) into the container, stick the immersion blender in, all the way to the bottom, and turn it on high. Within moments, it was mayo. No drizzling, no standing over the food processor or blender for three or four minutes streaming in oil. If I never use my stick blender for anything else other than making mayo, it's more than worth the (low) cost! Here's the one I have: http://amzn.com/B003NQE8B0

I just got to a point at which I could blog about Day 1 (here: https://fabulousby40.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/whole30-day-1-recap-and-recipes/). Today, I had my first eating-out challenge, which was meeting a coworker for breakfast (we work from home, and she's the only coworker who lives close enough so we can get together occasionally to socialize). We went to a restaurant called the Puffy Muffin . . . so you can well (and rightly) imagine that pretty much everything they have isn't Whole30 compliant! But I planned ahead by getting on the website Monday night to review the menu. I ended up ordering a la carte: two eggs (over easy) and 3 pieces of bacon. I'm sure the bacon wasn't compliant (i.e., I'm sure there's sugar in the cure), but I'm not going to sweat it.

Not to further burst your bubble, but the over easy eggs were likely cooked in off-plan fat too.

Give yourself the benefit of following the Whole30 rules 100%. http://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30/

Started round 2 today. Booze. Gonna be my main issue, it's how I socialize. And also why I'm doing round two - to force myself to find other ways to do so. That and portion control. I'm pretty active but still need to cut portions. So. Enjoyed ready everyone's stories so far, welcome first timers! It's hard, but incredibly rewarding (and only 30 days!)

from a forum discussion I found from a couple month ago I found this website - Hellosundaymorning.org It's an interesting online support community for people trying to abstain or moderate their drinking. Thinking while I'm doing this ... (they ask for 3 months - but you don't have to avoid - you can just work on decreasing quantity or frequency whichever is your vice).  Good luck! 

My wife Joyce and I started yesterday also after a group of people at church Sunday talked about their successes over the last 51 days. Dairy (cheese, ice cream, and butter), sugar (iced tea sweetener and wine), and grains (breads) will be my big hurdles.

I am hoping I succeed with this since I have a small child to lose...lol (75 pounds would be a good target for my height) plus the benefit of lower joint pain would be awesome.

Not to further burst your bubble, but the over easy eggs were likely cooked in off-plan fat too.

Give yourself the benefit of following the Whole30 rules 100%. http://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30/

From everything I've read on the website, the blog, and in the books, it's my understanding that having the best intentions to stay 100% on plan is just as important as actually staying on plan (when that is taken out of your control by eating out)---after all, this is about making a lifestyle change to make better choices, not to just live by the letter of someone else's rules. I could have just had the croissant and latte and gone back on program tomorrow, but I didn't. So I picked the best options that I could, and I'm going to call that a success.

And also, I was going by the Whole30 book, which says:

"Vegetable oils: some, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out) While we don’t think vegetable oils are ever a healthy choice, we don’t expressly rule them all out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in some form in their cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program we could, but we also need it to be possible for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month."

Hartwig, Melissa; Hartwig, Dallas (2015-04-21). The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom (Kindle Locations 1887-1891). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition. 

• Administrators

From everything I've read on the website, the blog, and in the books, it's my understanding that having the best intentions to stay 100% on plan is just as important as actually staying on plan (when that is taken out of your control by eating out)---after all, this is about making a lifestyle change to make better choices, not to just live by the letter of someone else's rules. I could have just had the croissant and latte and gone back on program tomorrow, but I didn't. So I picked the best options that I could, and I'm going to call that a success.

And also, I was going by the Whole30 book, which says:

"Vegetable oils: some, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out) While we don’t think vegetable oils are ever a healthy choice, we don’t expressly rule them all out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in some form in their cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program we could, but we also need it to be possible for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month."

Hartwig, Melissa; Hartwig, Dallas (2015-04-21). The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom (Kindle Locations 1887-1891). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.

Yes, soem vegetable oils are reluctantly allowed...but you still have to ask. If they cook in butter or soy based oil, that breaks your reset. Unfortunately the "intention" of staying on plan is negated if you actively choose not to ask the questions or eat things that you know are not compliant. In the case of not ordering a croissant or a latte, yes, you did better. In terms of how this affects your reset if you did ingest soy or dairy, it makes zero difference. I don't mean this to be harsh or unsupportive, just the fact that intention is fine but the science of the gut reset portion of Whole30 is non negotiable.

It's been great meeting everyone here, but it looks like I'm going to have to bow out. Obviously, I'm not going to be able to toe the line and stick to the absolute letter of the law, so instead of sticking around and messing everyone else up by posting about allowing in a few non-compliant things in order to be able to enjoy life while also doing this program, it seems like it will be better if I just try to work through this on my own.

I wish you all the best and much success on the journey!

Day 4.

Well, I am sorry to hear we lost Kaye. Good luck with everything! And if you decide to try to tough out these harsh rules, come back! You can do it! It really is very hard sticking to this plan while leaving the house. I gave up visiting with friends at the bar last night because as it turns out the conversations people have while drinking are just not as interesting when you're exhausted and sipping club soda with lime, but I'll live. I've also figured out I'm going to have to stay away from group work sessions in coffee shops for a while until the sugar cravings subside a bit. On a positive note, I am being forced to find new activities to do with friends, and am finding some fun stuff to do in Chicago I'd never done before (only been here a year). So, this is forcing me to be more active. 

I made the best steak I've ever had in my life last night, and feel better about finding ways to cram this much meat into my life. Tip: the organic ribeye from Trader Joe's isn't too expensive, and pan seared in a cast iron with just salt and pepper is AMAZING. Had that with mashed potatoes, ghee, and brussel sprouts last night. (Making the ghee was super easy, and I used a local butter from pasture cows that was divine.)For lunch I had salmon and zucchini over green leaf lettuce with half an avocado and half a lemon squeezed on top—also delicious. I was surprised to find that just lemon and the olive oil from the salmon's cooking make a salad plenty flavorful for me now. This morning I fried my eggs in the leftover beef fat from last night-SO. GOOD. 

I need to get an immersion blender ASAP for mayo because I slipped the first day I tried with grape seed veganaise. I don't use a ton, but a little mayo to hold a chicken, cranberry, walnut salad together is amazing. Besides making your own slightly flavored mayos is so good. 

Going on an all day outing today to a state park for some hiking, but I'm packing some great snacks and a lunch so should be fine. Thankfully, I feel far less exhausted and cranky than I did yesterday. (I have found the "hangover" phase really hangs on. Ouch.) 

Hi:

I started the 9th, but I'm willing to hop on with you all to lend my ear and voice.

First time for me, my wife and I are doing it together, even though she is out of state for 3 weeks, but in daily communication. Friend of ours started yesterday, so 3 of us are all supporting each other, all first timers.

Heidi Brockland here. I started the whole 30 Monday, Aug 10 for the first time. Day three and I'm feeling pretty crappy. Still going strong and committed, but boy the stupid nagging at the base of my head, feeling tired and cranky. My poor kids have had there fill of crabby mommy today, that's for sure. I thought I eat pretty well before starting. Sugar is hiding everywhere!!!! Hanging in there... Going to play hide and seek with the kids before gymnastics and keep my mind off the annoyance :)

• Administrators

Heidi Brockland here. I started the whole 30 Monday, Aug 10 for the first time. Day three and I'm feeling pretty crappy. Still going strong and committed, but boy the stupid nagging at the base of my head, feeling tired and cranky. My poor kids have had there fill of crabby mommy today, that's for sure. I thought I eat pretty well before starting. Sugar is hiding everywhere!!!! Hanging in there... Going to play hide and seek with the kids before gymnastics and keep my mind off the annoyance :)

Hey Heidi!  The headache is one of the suckiest parts of the first few days.  Drink a LOT of water, nap/rest if you can and make sure you are eating enough food!  Undereating (or eating too few starchy veggies) is a huge culprit in making that headache last longer than it needs to!

Hello w30 friends! I'm also on day 3 with you guys, and so far so good!! I have probably spent $40 in gas running around town this week tracking down things like "light tasting olive oil" and compliant applesauce, but hey, it will be worth it in the end.....right?! I told a co-worker (who is also doing it), that I understand why people sleep so good on the w30--because you're exhausted from thinking about and prepping food nonstop!! :)

Unfortunately, we don't live near a Whole Foods but there is a Trader Joe's opening at the end of next month. What do you all buy from Trader Joe's?? I've never lived near one before, I need to know what to stock up on when it opens! So far I've hit up our local grocery stores, Aldi and Costco. 

I'm tentatively avoiding social situations until I am further along in this journey--I just don't want the temptation. So for me, that meant rescheduling a business lunch today, and declining an invite to a concert this weekend. I just don't want to put myself in a compromising spot. Not to mention, I have to stay home to meal plan and chop vegetables ;)

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and feedback over the next month! 

Cheers (in a lemon cucumber sort of way)! 

Courtny

• Administrators

What do you all buy from Trader Joe's?? I've never lived near one before, I need to know what to stock up on when it opens! 

There are a few threads in the forum surrounding the things people like from Trader Joes...here are a couple.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3533-trader-joes-and-costco-options/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12285-what-do-you-like-from-trader-joes-and-whole-foods/

Day 3 and not hungry --- normally this would be awesome, but know I need to eat on this. I forced down one egg and some leftover roasted potatoes this morning (with roasted red pepper sauce!) but struggling to eat for lunch. I have my first social outing (baseball game - beer!!!) this evening so anxious I will suddenly become ravenous there. Going for a walk to try to drum up some appetite. I do prefer this to the headaches, etc but feel that will all come with time still. Anyone else experiencing decrease in appetite at this point? 

Wow! Had a very hard Day 3, but I'm happy with myself for getting through it without going off plan. It just goes to show that planning is everything. I also learned what "Epic bars are for emergency food" truly means.

My office partner has been on vacation since August 10 when we all started, and I've done great the last 2 days. I think the only thing I wasn't stressing about was food. Then today happened. I knew it was going to be a really crazy day at the office. I had my breakfast (2 hard boiled eggs, some steamed veggies with olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar, and a banana. I packed my lunch ( leftover pork chops from last night's dinner with nectarine salsa, sweet and sour coleslaw from the whole30 blog, also from last night, and grapes), and headed out. I was about 1/2 way to work when I realized that I did not start the chicken marinating for dinner. But no big deal, will just have the salad I planned for tomorrow tonight and make the chicken tomorrow.

My day was way more busy than I had even imagined, and by lunchtime I knew I was going to need to stay later than I had thought. Then I went to start my lunch and realized that I had left the container with my coleslaw sitting on the kitchen counter!!! That meant I had no veggies and no fat (the dressing on the coleslaw). I did have an Epic bar in my desk for an emergency. The only other things in the office were a huge container of pretzels someone had left in the break room for all to share (No Thanks) and a coworker offered me some trail mix. At first it looked like a good option, just nuts and seeds, but reading the label revealed soy and canola oils, and added sugar. So no. Knowing I would be stuck there late I ate what I still had for lunch and saved the Epic bar for late afternoon. For all the talk on the forums about how much trouble bars can be, that bar truly got me through today.

Once I finally got home I made myself a huge salad with roasted chicken, homemade vinaigrette and just about every veggie I could find in the fridge! All in all I'm just glad I didn't give up. Tonight I'll be making some "veggie packs" to put in the fridge. I'm thinking some veggie sticks with some olives and some celery sticks with almond butter. Just in case I forget part of my lunch again. Looking forward to day 4, things should calm down a bit at work tomorrow. Also looking forward to continuing this journey with everyone on here, it's great to have the support.

Archived