New Around Here - Anyone Starting August 10?

kndacus

Congrats to everyone on making it to Day 11!!!

I really haven't had too many cravings.  I think my problem is once I start (especially with salty snacks), I can't stop.  I had been eating relatively healthy before, then went crazy on vacation.  It feels good to be eating healthy again.

I feel like I have been in a relatively good mood since I have started too.  Can't wait to see if the "tiger blood" kicks in soon.

How long does it take before you can know for sure whether some issues, allergies, etc. might be benefited by this type of eating?  I have had sinus headaches the past couple of days.  I am hoping that the Whole30 will help with that - does it take the full 30 days before I will be able to say that it will/won't?  Hope that makes sense!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all! Glad to see everyone so on board still! 

Keeping it quick since I'm at work, but we made Well Fed's Chocolate Chili (using turkey meat) last night, and it was SOOOO good! So if you haven't tried that recipe, you definitely should! Served it with some avocado and it even got hubby's approval. For sure adding that to the rotation!

Working on trying to add more fish to our diet, so far been doing a lot of turkey, pork, chicken and beef. 

Also bought a new pair of running shoes last night, pretty pumped that w30 is giving me the extra energy I need to feel motivated to get back on the workout wagon! 

Happy day 11 :)

That Chocolate Chili sounds wonderful!  Thanks for the idea!

FYI, I made the No-Fuss Salmon cakes for the Whole30 book, and they were pretty good.  I did use canned Sweet Potatoes, and I think I might try using fresh next time.  I also used dried spices.  Fresh might be better.  And they were good with the tartar sauce from the book.

I am coming out the other side of my period and feeling less like I'm going to hurt someone.

I started mine yesterday and it helped explain a lot of things, including my extreme hunger the last few days and the horrible bloating! I am looking forward to that passing and starting to feel more of the whole30 amazingness.

I had a headache and sore joints all weekend. Also really sore neck. By Monday I felt horrible - light headed, forgetting things at a scary level and irritable. Had remained compliant but Sunday ate excessive fruit and went a long time into the day (4:00?) without eating anything else due to busyness and lack of preparedness. Could that have put me into the fog?? Since Monday have been strictly on plan with no snacking, good template meals at proper intervals and very minimal fruit (or none some days). Suddenly today.... TIGER BLOOD! Recognized it right away from last whole30. Feels like living the commercial for allergy medicine where they peel back the foggy layer and everything is clear and bright and wonderful. Have been prancing around singing all day. Hoping now I can peacefully sleep. Last time the TB spilled over into the night and I was too jazzed to sleep for awhile. Have a good day all!

• Administrators

Hey anchorageali, I suspect you are right, the lack of proper intake on Sunday would definitely lead to how you were feeling on Monday. Glad to hear that you are feeling good now though! Just goes to show what proper nutrition can do for you! :)

I know this is a 30 day program, but I wish I was feeling ... well a little something. Actually feeling really large in the stomach now - bloated, esp after meals. But even waking up feeling gassy (with no results). I know seltzer could possibly be causing this (generally have been having 1-2 cans a day) so have stopped that, but anything else in these meals that could be adding? 

Day 9

dinner - steak, cauliflower mash, roasted sweet pot. 

Day 10

b: steak and two fried eggs, iced black coffee

l: chicken salad w/ grapes & carrots & avocado on spinach, balsamic vinaigrette, 

d: hamburger w/ avo & sliced tomato, a little cauliflower mash, beets, and 

day 11: 

B: over slept - 2 HB eggs, banana & almond butter, iced black coffee (I know I should have had another egg but I couldn't bring myself to eat three HB, not my fav)

L: a little chicken salad, 1HB egg, 1/4 avocado on spinach w/ balsamic vinaigrette, strawberries/grapes, snap peas (raw)**. 

S: almonds (was bored eating)**

D: lemon chicken breast, roasted butternut squash and snap peas (steamed). **

Day 12: 

B; two eggs scrambled w/ red pepper, spinach and a jalapeño sausage link, black ice coffee ***

L: roasted butternut squash, a little lemon chicken (I overcooked it!)

Any thoughts besides eliminating seltzer for awhile? Still tired in afternoon ... Not discouraged but would sure like to see/feel something happening!

• Administrators

There's nothign that SUPER stands out here.  You could try eliminating any raw veggies and going to all cooked as raw veggies including salad greens can be hard on the tum.  Nuts are extremely hard on some people's digestion...so since you were boredom-eating them which is sort of against the idea of Whole30 anyway, perhaps call off the nuts for awhile.  ;)

The only other thing I really saw was the cauliflower but you don't appear to be having tonnes of it so...........

I know this is a 30 day program, but I wish I was feeling ... well a little something. Actually feeling really large in the stomach now - bloated, esp after meals. But even waking up feeling gassy (with no results). I know seltzer could possibly be causing this (generally have been having 1-2 cans a day) so have stopped that, but anything else in these meals that could be adding? 

I am feeling similarly, lulujoy. I keep hoping that it is just because I am so early in the program still or because I have my period. But very bloated feeling and not feeling amazing yet.

Good things that are happening are recognizing where I have been using food to deal with stress and emotions. Where the boredom eating comes in. Also, and this is the biggest, I always used to try and hoard my calories and have as many as possible at the end of the day so I could have a big meal. Now that there is no snacking between meals and I am following the meal template, I am eating more consistently throughout the day and that is having a positive impact on my energy/alertness levels overall. Plus the pre/post workout snacks are a total revelation for me and have really boosted my performance.

Moving into weekend #2, I am feeling a little more deprived. The first weekend wasn't bad at all. There is something kind of awesome about just saying no to things and my social gatherings last weekend were low pressure or entirely under my control. This weekend there are some events that won't be as easy - including a work picnic with lots of things that I can't eat and/or can't be sure are compliant. Plus, no drinking! I am committed to seeing this through, but I am feeling just the slightest bit cranky about it today. ;)

Have you looked at FODMAPS?

I've cooked for a lot of people with different heath issues, and I've found that most people don't realize that FODMAPS could be a problem for them.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-FODMAP.pdf

So, I was drinking my coffee this morning reading the forums, and a post mentioned that the only Pacific brand Chicken Broth that didn't contain sugar was the organic (I think.)  Knowing that wasn't what I used to make the Silky Zucchini soup from Melissa Joulwan, I ran to the pantry.  Sure enough, the one I bought contains cane sugar.  I have been eating that soup for the past three days with a meal.

Sigh.  I have been trying so hard to be compliant and reading labels on everything.  But for some reason, didn't even think about the *&)(*&% chicken broth.

I am frustrated because this was the perfect 30 day period for me to try a Whole30.  I even turned down an offer from my husband to take me out to dinner for my birthday.  OK, done whining.

At first, I was going to completely scrap the last twelve days, but I just read the article on "Do I Really Have to Start My Whole30 Over?" If I was going to mess up, it seems like sugar isn't the worst offender for me.  I don't really crave cake, etc.  I am more of a salty snack kind of girl.

So, if I understood this correctly, I could continue with the knowingly imperfect 30 days and move into reintroduction to see if dairy, gluten, legumes, etc. bother me because sugar doesn't trigger the same immune responses as everything else, correct?  So should I still be able to judge my body's response these items?  I am really curious because I used to have some IBS symptoms in the morning, and they have completely gone away since starting this.  I really want to know what food is causing the issue.

I think the Paleo style of eating really agrees with me.  I will probably continue to eat this way for the near future, and maybe try another Whole30 after the first of the year with my lessons learned.

• Administrators

So, if I understood this correctly, I could continue with the knowingly imperfect 30 days and move into reintroduction to see if dairy, gluten, legumes, etc. bother me because sugar doesn't trigger the same immune responses as everything else, correct?  So should I still be able to judge my body's response these items?

Yes, please keep going! :)

So, I was drinking my coffee this morning reading the forums, and a post mentioned that the only Pacific brand Chicken Broth that didn't contain sugar was the organic (I think.)  Knowing that wasn't what I used to make the Silky Zucchini soup from Melissa Joulwan, I ran to the pantry.  Sure enough, the one I bought contains cane sugar.  I have been eating that soup for the past three days with a meal.

I'm sorry that happened and also encourage you to continue. I feel your frustration. It's been a tight money month for me so I've been trying to use meat I have in the freezer. My last package of compliant meat is moose stew meat so was looking for beef broth the other night to make a soup or stew and could find NONE that didn't contain sugar at regular supermarket or Natural Pantry. I see Pacific has bone broth now that is compliant (for $6 and change) but they only had chicken and turkey. Seriously, why on earth put sugar in broth??? Good for you to be willing to take this as a lesson in labels and move on!

I'm off to farmers market for my veggies, Happy day to all!

Sigh.  I have been trying so hard to be compliant and reading labels on everything.  But for some reason, didn't even think about the *&)(*&% chicken broth.

I am frustrated because this was the perfect 30 day period for me to try a Whole30.  I even turned down an offer from my husband to take me out to dinner for my birthday.  OK, done whining.

At first, I was going to completely scrap the last twelve days, but I just read the article on "Do I Really Have to Start My Whole30 Over?" If I was going to mess up, it seems like sugar isn't the worst offender for me.  I don't really crave cake, etc.  I am more of a salty snack kind of girl.

So, if I understood this correctly, I could continue with the knowingly imperfect 30 days and move into reintroduction to see if dairy, gluten, legumes, etc. bother me because sugar doesn't trigger the same immune responses as everything else, correct?  So should I still be able to judge my body's response these items?  I am really curious because I used to have some IBS symptoms in the morning, and they have completely gone away since starting this.  I really want to know what food is causing the issue.

I think the Paleo style of eating really agrees with me.  I will probably continue to eat this way for the near future, and maybe try another Whole30 after the first of the year with my lessons learned.

I was having some issues with bloating and gas. I cut the nuts I was snacking on, the amount of cauliflower I was taking in, and amount of raw greens, and it's all better. I have also heard that bloating is normal for a portion of the plan. 

I am happy to report I'm still here, and still on plan. I made it through the headaches, stomach issues, and cravings and I'm not sure I'd call it Tiger's Blood, but I feel pretty good. My chronic sinus problems are far better and I feel less lethargic. I've also remembered that I love food and cooking. I can whip up an amazing meal in 15 minutes now and find my pallet has changed so that I no longer feel like I should be covering everything in cheese. I think I'll keep eating mostly paleo once this is all over. 

Hoorah! 

I am happy to report I'm still here, and still on plan. I made it through the headaches, stomach issues, and cravings and I'm not sure I'd call it Tiger's Blood, but I feel pretty good. My chronic sinus problems are far better and I feel less lethargic. I've also remembered that I love food and cooking. I can whip up an amazing meal in 15 minutes now and find my pallet has changed so that I no longer feel like I should be covering everything in cheese. I think I'll keep eating mostly paleo once this is all over. 

Hoorah!

I feel the same. Especially about cooking. I'm not missing restaurant food because I've remembered that my own cooking is way better than most of the chain type restaurants I was frequently going to before. And I'll never buy another store bought mayo, salad dressing, cocktail sauce dip, etc. the ones I've made the last 2 weeks have been so much cleaner, tastier, and cheaper. And that's money I can spend on awesome meat! I splurged this week for King Salmon and a grass fed ribeye, both of which were awesome. I have got a little bit of the bloating right now that they say is normal. I'm not drinking seltzer, or eating nuts (once a week, maybe). But I might try cutting back on the raw greens a bit. My trainer has noticed that I'm crushing my workouts. My face has cleared up and my skin is more even. One interesting thing. Is that I get these little white sebaceous cysts around my eye area. They. Usually last for several months, then disappear, then more come out to replace them. But they are suddenly disappearing all together! It will be very interesting to try and see what was causing that issue. Probably soy, since most of my issues usually come down to soy.

I feel the same. Especially about cooking. I'm not missing restaurant food because I've remembered that my own cooking is way better than most of the chain type restaurants I was frequently going to before. And I'll never buy another store bought mayo, salad dressing, cocktail sauce dip, etc. the ones I've made the last 2 weeks have been so much cleaner, tastier, and cheaper. And that's money I can spend on awesome meat! I splurged this week for King Salmon and a grass fed ribeye, both of which were awesome. I have got a little bit of the bloating right now that they say is normal. I'm not drinking seltzer, or eating nuts (once a week, maybe). But I might try cutting back on the raw greens a bit. My trainer has noticed that I'm crushing my workouts. My face has cleared up and my skin is more even. One interesting thing. Is that I get these little white sebaceous cysts around my eye area. They. Usually last for several months, then disappear, then more come out to replace them. But they are suddenly disappearing all together! It will be very interesting to try and see what was causing that issue. Probably soy, since most of my issues usually come down to soy.

You might find those were caused by dairy... Dairy can cause the mucous glands to over produce and a build up develops around the eyes/nose/throat which is why many folk notice improved sinus symptoms, decrease in black circles around the eyes, less catarrh etc.

One interesting thing. Is that I get these little white sebaceous cysts around my eye area. They. Usually last for several months, then disappear, then more come out to replace them. But they are suddenly disappearing all together! It will be very interesting to try and see what was causing that issue. Probably soy, since most of my issues usually come down to soy.

I just noticed that mine were a lot less prominent this morning under my eyes.  It wasn't something that I was expecting to happen, so I was kind of surprised.  Would love it if they completely went away!

Today was a bit of a challenge as I was hanging out with visiting friends for most of the day, and I knew I'd have to subsist on emergency food for lunch.

I started out strong with a vegetable frittata and half an avocado. Around 2/3pm, we were in Coney Island, it was hot and I had to eat, so I dug into an Epic Bar and some paleo trail mix from Pre-Made Paleo. Its not as many veggies as I normally eat, so I'll be adding in some extra sauerkraut to my zoodles with meat sauce.

I started taking a multivitamin prescribed to address my MTHFR mutation. Unfortunately, it has stevia, but I trust myself and my practitioner's knowledge. She totally supports my Whole30 endeavor and I know that this supplement will help address deficiencies caused by this mutation, even though I'd have rather avoid stevia for these 30 days. Plus I totally detest stevia.

It'll be mixed with Hibiscus powder (more tart) once I receive that in the mail, so luckily that sweet flavor won't be so gross for me.

I'm not feeling tiger blood per say, but I've had a few good days in which I didn't want/need to be in bed all day, so I'd say that's #WINNING.

Hi Kaye,

I am also starting on Monday the 10th with my Mom and brother! Therfore I can't help with tips yet.  We all have various ailments that we are trying to get help with including autoimmue and joint issues. 

My biggest struggles are probably going to be:

1. No dairy
  2. Weekly girl's nights (typically wine and cheese)
  3. New morning schedule since I have to make a bigger breakfast
  4. My birthday at the end of August

Tonight I am going to start going through my pantry, etc.  As luck would have it we are having a food drive at work so I can get rid of a lot food we will not be eating!

Looking forward to tagging along/supporting you in this journey of ours!

Amy

Hi, I started Aug 13th and noticed a couple of days in, my knees weren't as painful  -- I wasn't screaming for WD40.  I was wondering since you are ahead of by 3 days -- how your joints are feeling.

Good luck

Hi everybody - we are almost half way there!!! It's very encouraging and inspiring to read about people's challenges and how everyone handles them, as well as some emerging improvements.

I'm still waking up with a hangover-like headache every so often. I think it might be traced to having no carbs for dinner. Last night we had a great meal - spicy shrimp and cauliflower rice from Nom Nom Paleo - but no carbs, and this morning I felt pretty wonky. I will definitely be adding a small piece of sweet potato or a fruit serving to my plate from now on if the main entree is low-carb.

We have an afternoon/evening event today so yesterday I did about 75% of my weekly food prep. Here's the rundown (aside from the usual eggs, sweet potatoes, avocado staples):

Chocolate Chili (thanks for the tip!) - seems like one slow-cooker meal a week is becoming part of my routine

Shrimp/Veg Stirfry/Cauliflower Rice 

Stuffed Peppers

Green Salad with Chicken

Tomato-Basil Salad

Baba Ghanoush and Crudites

Madras Chicken Salad

Oh, I made Paleo Sriracha from NNP (the W30 version, sweetened with dates) and it is divine...

Have a great Sunday/prep day everyone!

Kristy

Yes! You all are doing AWESOME!!!

Speaking of stomach stuff, I made the tragic discovery that garlic gives me awful gas. It's amazing how breaking my intake down so much has allowed me to see exactly what every, single ingredient does to me. Mind = blown. 

I had dinner with a friend last night who has done the W30, and she promised everything was made with compliant foods. After dinner, I noticed I felt a bit anxious, fidgety, and itchy all over and started asking about each and every item. Turns out, the rasberry dressing she made had "just a little sugar" (as in a TON of sugar).  UGH. Sugar was one of the things I had the hardest time kicking and it was kind of a relief to find out it actually makes me feel like garbage. But I'm bummed there was an accidental slip. Suffice it to say, I have no desire to indulge in sweet treats after this. 

I'm going to try the chocolate chili this week—excited about it!

Yes! You all are doing AWESOME!!!

Speaking of stomach stuff, I made the tragic discovery that garlic gives me awful gas. It's amazing how breaking my intake down so much has allowed me to see exactly what every, single ingredient does to me. Mind = blown. 

I had dinner with a friend last night who has done the W30, and she promised everything was made with compliant foods. After dinner, I noticed I felt a bit anxious, fidgety, and itchy all over and started asking about each and every item. Turns out, the rasberry dressing she made had "just a little sugar" (as in a TON of sugar).  UGH. Sugar was one of the things I had the hardest time kicking and it was kind of a relief to find out it actually makes me feel like garbage. But I'm bummed there was an accidental slip. Suffice it to say, I have no desire to indulge in sweet treats after this. 

I'm going to try the chocolate chili this week—excited about it!

Weirdly this is quite common and can be a physical reaction to raised blood sugar levels...

I'm still waking up with a hangover-like headache every so often. I think it might be traced to having no carbs for dinner. 

Same thing for me.  Woke up groggy and head was a little achey.  Not enough to take an Advil, and it went away.  I didn't have any carbs last night for dinner, so I will have to see if that is the case for me as well....

Archived