New Around Here - Anyone Starting August 10?

kndacus

• Administrators

I ate breakfast at around 6:00 this morning and have a scheduled lunch at noon. That would put me at 6 hours between meals. I had a peach with me that I was going to eat with lunch, but I was hungry at 10:30, so I ate it. Now I am even more hungry!

Any suggestions for a better game plan when you have more than 4 or 5 hours between meals? The timing thing has been the hardest to work out for me.

I regularly have my breakfast at 530am and my lunchtime isn't until around noon.  By 10:30-11 I am usually ready to eat something but don't want to spoil my lunch.  A hardboiled egg is an awesome stand-in.  As is a cooked chicken thigh, a couple bites of compliant sausage, a small can of sardines etc.  I usually don't bother with the veg in that teeny snack and the fat is kind of "built in" to the things I noted so it works well.  

Fruit, when eaten alone, as you just discovered, spikes and then thumps your blood sugar which causes rebound hunger.  Protein is the way to go if you are just looking for something to get you by.

And note that if you have more than 4-5 hours between meals, the "no snacking" rule doesn't really apply as it's more like "eating" than "snacking" if you get my drift.  :)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I regularly have my breakfast at 530am and my lunchtime isn't until around noon.  By 10:30-11 I am usually ready to eat something but don't want to spoil my lunch.  A hardboiled egg is an awesome stand-in.  As is a cooked chicken thigh, a couple bites of compliant sausage, a small can of sardines etc.  I usually don't bother with the veg in that teeny snack and the fat is kind of "built in" to the things I noted so it works well.  

Fruit, when eaten alone, as you just discovered, spikes and then thumps your blood sugar which causes rebound hunger.  Protein is the way to go if you are just looking for something to get you by.

And note that if you have more than 4-5 hours between meals, the "no snacking" rule doesn't really apply as it's more like "eating" than "snacking" if you get my drift.   :)

That is good to know. Getting the timing down of the meals and the snacks has been the hardest part for me. Tonight I am running after work, so I will have a pre-workout snack, but only 3.5 hours after my lunch. And then no post workout snack because I am just going home to eat dinner, so snacking doesn't make sense. It seems that snacking around working out usually only requires one snack for me, since there is usually a meal not too far ahead or behind of it.

Today is the first day I have been so hungry. I will DEFINITELY not be eating my fruit early in the day or on its own again. Also looking forward to not feeling so tired at some point, hopefully!

I just got back on here after doing my first whole30 at lent.  I started on the 3rd, and I am struggling hard.  I don't know why.  I want all sugar.  Tomorrow is supposed to be my first tiger-blood day, and I don't see how it's even possible with how I feel right now.  I've been completely compliant and learned how to eat enough at mealtimes last time around, so I'm not even needing/doing snacks.  I haven't been working out because kids are sick, but that just always makes me more hungry.  I asked my husband if a whole15 is good enough?  What am I thinking?!  I don't know if I have the strength for this even though I've done it before.  Then again, there's a certain scrupulosity that comes out in me with giving up something for lent.  Any thoughts for encouragement or why I would be having a harder time this time?  

• Administrators

I just got back on here after doing my first whole30 at lent.  I started on the 3rd, and I am struggling hard.  I don't know why.  I want all sugar.  Tomorrow is supposed to be my first tiger-blood day, and I don't see how it's even possible with how I feel right now.  I've been completely compliant and learned how to eat enough at mealtimes last time around, so I'm not even needing/doing snacks.  I haven't been working out because kids are sick, but that just always makes me more hungry.  I asked my husband if a whole15 is good enough?  What am I thinking?!  I don't know if I have the strength for this even though I've done it before.  Then again, there's a certain scrupulosity that comes out in me with giving up something for lent.  Any thoughts for encouragement or why I would be having a harder time this time?

Hi Nora, take a read of this article and see if any of it rings true. http://whole30.com/2015/02/second-whole30/

Today was my first hard day - and that was after having no problem getting through the extended family pasta/garlic bread/wine extravaganza this weekend. Just a overwhelming day at work (first week on the new job). First reaction was I can't wait to get home with my man and have a cocktail. Then I saw ice cream signs everywhere. I realized I hadn't treated myself to 1st week being finished so went and bought epsom salts for a good bath. Haven't gotten to that yet, but did take a time out when I got home to read my favorite magazine. 

B: 2 eggs scrambled with spinach and compliant sausage

L: chicken salad w/ almonds, celery and grapes on spinach w/ homemade balsamic dressing, mixed berries

S: during emotional crunch moment - almonds and then bought myself a lara bar

D: Fish that was great! (frozen tilapia jazzed up! http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/dijon-almond-crusted-tilapia/ , roasted sweet pot. and roasted cauliflower. 

Hi everyone!

First time poster. :)

I also started August 10th and I'm starting to feel the benefits. I decided to do the Whole30 because I've been pretty sick the past few months, and despite many blood tests, there isn't yet a diagnosis. Symptoms include fatigue (my arms got too tired while I was washing my hair), muscle and joint aches, and weakness.

Giving up added sugar wasn't super hard, but I was really missing potato chips and cheese.

Lately I've been having dreams about pizza and jelly beans, which is totally weird because those aren't even some of my favorite foods.

I've been gluten-free for three years, and I'm used to the dreams about things I'm not supposed to eat. I've also recently developed allergies to crustaceans and some other fish, peanuts, and unfermented soy.

The first 5-7 days, I was having trouble eating right when I woke up. I wasn't super hungry right away and I'd have my coffee with coconut milk before I ate. I slowly worked at consuming both closer together, and now I'm eating within an hour of waking up and having my coffee with my meal.

I started the Whole30 while I was visiting my parents for a week in northern New York. I live in NYC, so it was a great way to get me out of my routine without a ton of temptation.

I was able to purchase a bit of food and bacon from Pre-Made Paleo and a snack pack from Barefoot Provisions, so that I didn't dominate the kitchen while visiting family members cooked and was able to survive a trip to a big antique show where the only food available was either gluten or sugar-laden.

Being a health-supportive private chef has come in handy this week. I didn't eat too far from paleo before the Whole30, so this extra challenge of making compliant food has been more fun than anything.

A few yummy things I made:

Spaghetti Squash with Garlic, Olives, Capers, Artichokes, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes with Roasted Chicken

Chicken Salad with Homemade Basil Mayo

Shiitake and Asparagus Frittata

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, and Ginger

Sautéd Grass-Fed Beef with Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, and Cayenne

Coconut-Oil Pan-Fried Plantains

Non-scale victories include healing tendonitis in my foot, skin discoloration from a previous breakout starting to heal, and super healthy bowel movements.

So excited to see and feel the next stage of healing!

A few yummy things I made:

Spaghetti Squash with Garlic, Olives, Capers, Artichokes, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes with Roasted Chicken

Chicken Salad with Homemade Basil Mayo

Shiitake and Asparagus Frittata

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, and Ginger

Sautéd Grass-Fed Beef with Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, and Cayenne

Coconut-Oil Pan-Fried Plantains

I am so inspired by some of the amazing things others are making! This sounds awesome.

This coming weekend I really want to find some time to experiment more with recipes. So far I've been keeping it real simple, but I really want to try some new things like making my own mayo - love the idea here of including herbs like basil and using it to make a chicken salad! Yummmm!

Day 9

Finally got a really good night of sleep. Could still use another hour or so, but this morning was better. The focus on sleep is important and a good start.

Huge workout victory yesterday - I've been trying to build back up to being able to run nonstop for 3 miles. Yesterday I had my preworkout snack (chicken drumstick, potatoes with onion, and almonds) and I had the best run I've had so far. Went 1.5 miles without stopping. Then ran another half mile and another quarter mile, alternating with walking. That means I ran for 2.25 miles of the 3.35 total miles I covered. Getting closer and the preworkout snack was SO HELPFUL.

Plan for today:

B: Egg bake w/ tons of veggies (kale, potato, tomato, onion, zucchini, red pepper) and avocado

L: 2 Chicken drumsticks and kale salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar plus avocado

D: Roasted duck with sweet potato and kale, plus avocado for fat (but maybe blueberries with coconut milk instead...)

Pre WO Snack: Chicken drumstick w/ fresh veggies (yellow pepper slices and zucchini stick) plus almonds (post workout will be dinner)

• Administrators

I am so inspired by some of the amazing things others are making! This sounds awesome.

This coming weekend I really want to find some time to experiment more with recipes. So far I've been keeping it real simple, but I really want to try some new things like making my own mayo - love the idea here of including herbs like basil and using it to make a chicken salad! Yummmm!

I loved the idea of that combo too and happen to have overgrown basil and a zillion cooked chicken breasts in the fridge, so..........  ;)

• Administrators

Day 9

Finally got a really good night of sleep. Could still use another hour or so, but this morning was better. The focus on sleep is important and a good start.

Huge workout victory yesterday - I've been trying to build back up to being able to run nonstop for 3 miles. Yesterday I had my preworkout snack (chicken drumstick, potatoes with onion, and almonds) and I had the best run I've had so far. Went 1.5 miles without stopping. Then ran another half mile and another quarter mile, alternating with walking. That means I ran for 2.25 miles of the 3.35 total miles I covered. Getting closer and the preworkout snack was SO HELPFUL.

Congrats on your run victory!!!!!  The Whole30 recommendation for preworkout is protein and fat, no carbs.  Post workout would be lean protein and starchy veggie.  Maybe try saving the potatoes for after your workout and see how you do.

Hello all August 10 starters

I hope you are doing well.  I am very pleased with week 1.  The daily emails are most valuable, giving me tips, keeping me on track.  A terrific part of the program.  So far so good.  Clothes are a bit looser, ankles aren't swelling in the high heat.  Very encouraging.  Good luck to all.  Maggie 10

Congrats on your run victory!!!!!  The Whole30 recommendation for preworkout is protein and fat, no carbs.  Post workout would be lean protein and starchy veggie.  Maybe try saving the potatoes for after your workout and see how you do.

I don't know why I am having such a hard time following the template for snacks!  I clearly need to consult my references more often!

• Administrators

I don't know why I am having such a hard time following the template for snacks!  I clearly need to consult my references more often!

LOL!  That's why we're here, we're more personable than reference material!  LOL!

ladyshanny, I've got a dilemma I'm hoping you can help me with, since you're a Mod and clearly know your stuff.

Luckily, this past week I've been on vacation and haven't been working, but starting Friday I'm back to the grind.

Being a health-supportive private chef is usually a very fun job because I get to help people manage their illnesses or just feel better, but none of my clients are doing a Whole30 or are even Paleo (YET!). Over the next year I'm hoping to transition to being a strictly Paleo/Primal Private Chef specializing in food allergies.

But, for right now, I am cooking some foods with grains/dairy/sweeteners for my clients. After doing this professionally for the past 8 years, I've gotten to the point where I don't have to taste everything I make because I can feel that its good, but there are sometimes I do need to taste something that is not compliant.

My plan is to taste and then spit out the bite without swallowing, and to make sure I'm eating fully compliant meals at the right intervals throughout the day so that I'm not overly hungry.

I'm slightly concerned about minuscule bits of non-compliant food making it into my digestive system, but I don't think there is a better way to do this. I obviously can't not work because of the Whole30...

Do you have any advice or ideas I haven't yet thought of?

Thanks!

• Administrators

ladyshanny, I've got a dilemma I'm hoping you can help me with, since you're a Mod and clearly know your stuff.

Luckily, this past week I've been on vacation and haven't been working, but starting Friday I'm back to the grind.

Being a health-supportive private chef is usually a very fun job because I get to help people manage their illnesses or just feel better, but none of my clients are doing a Whole30 or are even Paleo (YET!). Over the next year I'm hoping to transition to being a strictly Paleo/Primal Private Chef specializing in food allergies.

But, for right now, I am cooking some foods with grains/dairy/sweeteners for my clients. After doing this professionally for the past 8 years, I've gotten to the point where I don't have to taste everything I make because I can feel that its good, but there are sometimes I do need to taste something that is not compliant.

My plan is to taste and then spit out the bite without swallowing, and to make sure I'm eating fully compliant meals at the right intervals throughout the day so that I'm not overly hungry.

I'm slightly concerned about minuscule bits of non-compliant food making it into my digestive system, but I don't think there is a better way to do this. I obviously can't not work because of the Whole30...

Do you have any advice or ideas I haven't yet thought of?

Thanks!

Hey MG, thanks for the compliment!  I liken tasting and spitting to using toothpaste with non compliant ingredients.  If you aren't swallowing, it's fine.  :)

There have been a number of chefs/bakers that have done the Whole30 over the years, here are a couple threads:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1563-advice-for-a-chef/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14703-struggling-with-my-job-as-a-baker-on-the-whole30/

Day 10

I have been reading through the Whole30 book and finally got to the section on medical conditions last night. They talked in there about folks with autoimmune stuff maybe doing well to avoid nightshades. I did a full-on elimination diet a couple years ago and nightshades where pretty inconclusive. However, I have been eating potatoes and tomatoes and peppers during my Whole30 and am wondering if this is to blame for some of the general creakiness I have observed in myself over the last week and a half. Anybody have any experience with this?

Part of why I decided to do the whole30 is that while I have been pretty much pain free since doing the elimination diet, some bad habits have crept in - particularly around dairy and natural sugars. I've also been less diligent about soy. I've noticed that I am more stiff and a little sore and I wanted to try and clear that up. Maybe I just haven't given the whole30 enough time to kick in?

Today's Plan

B: Egg bake (3 eggs, tons of veggies, including potatoes & tomatoes) - also had a kombucha this morning (I am still surprised that this is allowed...)

L: Kale salad with smoked salmon (sugar free!) and olives for fat

D: Kale salad with chicken drumstick and two hardboiled eggs - cashew/almond/macadamia nut mix for fat

No snack - rest day, so no running or exercise

Day 10

I have been reading through the Whole30 book and finally got to the section on medical conditions last night. They talked in there about folks with autoimmune stuff maybe doing well to avoid nightshades. I did a full-on elimination diet a couple years ago and nightshades where pretty inconclusive. However, I have been eating potatoes and tomatoes and peppers during my Whole30 and am wondering if this is to blame for some of the general creakiness I have observed in myself over the last week and a half. Anybody have any experience with this?

Part of why I decided to do the whole30 is that while I have been pretty much pain free since doing the elimination diet, some bad habits have crept in - particularly around dairy and natural sugars. I've also been less diligent about soy. I've noticed that I am more stiff and a little sore and I wanted to try and clear that up. Maybe I just haven't given the whole30 enough time to kick in?

Today's Plan

B: Egg bake (3 eggs, tons of veggies, including potatoes & tomatoes) - also had a kombucha this morning (I am still surprised that this is allowed...)

L: Kale salad with smoked salmon (sugar free!) and olives for fat

D: Kale salad with chicken drumstick and two hardboiled eggs - cashew/almond/macadamia nut mix for fat

No snack - rest day, so no running or exercise

It is a 30 day programme and you're only on day 10 - that said if you've eliminated nightshades in the past & seen some improvement I'd be inclined to at least restrict them now that you're eliminating the other main gut disruptors - it might just make all the difference to your results.

Question...

I have Sjogren's and am a survivor of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma from my Sjogren's progression.  I've had two surgeries that the doc had to remove my salivary glands.  My mouth is EXTREMELY dry.  Is there ANYTHING compliant that I can do besides drinking water?  I'm thinking a mint or something that I haven't found yet?

Question...

I have Sjogren's and am a survivor of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma from my Sjogren's progression.  I've had two surgeries that the doc had to remove my salivary glands.  My mouth is EXTREMELY dry.  Is there ANYTHING compliant that I can do besides drinking water?  I'm thinking a mint or something that I haven't found yet?

Sorry, no mints on a Whole30, as they would either contain sugar or some sort of sweetener.  

What about watery fruits like watermelon, berries, or melons?  Cucumber on its own or infused in water with mint?  Gazpacho or avocado soup? 

I'm so impressed with all of you working out!

Since I've been barely just getting the bare minimum done, I'm not working out at all. Even though I feel better than before I started the Whole30, I'm still having body aches.

Today I have a follow-up appointment with my practitioner and I've discovered that I've got an MTHFR mutation. This explains so much about being sensitive to smells, chemicals, stress, the sun, medications, alcohol, etc, my entire life.

Although I need to add additional vitamins and supplements to address this, the Whole30 is the perfect plan to help reduce inflammation and detox my body (which is made difficult from the MTHFR).

I did have a set back today. I had stopped taking my Zyrtec for the past few days, to see how my body reacted to allergens now that I'm not eating dairy, grains, legumes, sugar, or alcohol, and it was a MISTAKE.

One of the reasons I take Zyrtec (and other herbal supplements) daily is because I get vertigo/dizziness/tinnitus associated with environmental allergies. I had an attack at 2pm and only after a Zyrtec was able to stay upright without tipping over or wanting to throw up. 

I think I'll need to add all the recommendations from my practitioner for my MTHFR and work with her to decide if/when coming off Zyrtec is the right thing to do for me. I'm hoping that the Whole30 will be a tool I'll continue to use, especially during bad allergy seasons (like right now) to reduce the inflammation.

I love reading everyone's updates! Double digits!!

Hey all! Glad to see everyone so on board still! 

Keeping it quick since I'm at work, but we made Well Fed's Chocolate Chili (using turkey meat) last night, and it was SOOOO good! So if you haven't tried that recipe, you definitely should! Served it with some avocado and it even got hubby's approval. For sure adding that to the rotation!

Working on trying to add more fish to our diet, so far been doing a lot of turkey, pork, chicken and beef. 

Also bought a new pair of running shoes last night, pretty pumped that w30 is giving me the extra energy I need to feel motivated to get back on the workout wagon! 

Happy day 11 :)

Yay for day 11 :) I've had my eye on the Chocolate Chili recipe, I will definitely put it on the menu for next week. I"m also having my second real "eating out" experience at lunch today... already looked up the menu online and know exactly what I will order. This is not so bad...

We got this! :)

• Administrators

Yay Day 10!!!! No...wait.  Day Eleven?!  Sweet!  I am coming out the other side of my period and feeling less like I'm going to hurt someone.  I even managed to put the husband's coffee kombucha on this morning and water and deadhead the flowers before I had to get going to work.  Extra energy a la Whole30?  That would be super!

Here's a cute little post my hubby sent me yesterday.  Thought maybe you guys might like it too.

facebook-20150817-155724_zpsab8xcv5f.png

Archived