New Around Here - Anyone Starting August 10?

kndacus

Speaking of stomach stuff, I made the tragic discovery that garlic gives me awful gas. It's amazing how breaking my intake down so much has allowed me to see exactly what every, single ingredient does to me. Mind = blown. 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................... :) That stinks! (pun intended)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everybody - we are almost half way there!!! It's very encouraging and inspiring to read about people's challenges and how everyone handles them, as well as some emerging improvements.

I'm still waking up with a hangover-like headache every so often. I think it might be traced to having no carbs for dinner. Last night we had a great meal - spicy shrimp and cauliflower rice from Nom Nom Paleo - but no carbs, and this morning I felt pretty wonky. I will definitely be adding a small piece of sweet potato or a fruit serving to my plate from now on if the main entree is low-carb.

We have an afternoon/evening event today so yesterday I did about 75% of my weekly food prep. Here's the rundown (aside from the usual eggs, sweet potatoes, avocado staples):

Chocolate Chili (thanks for the tip!) - seems like one slow-cooker meal a week is becoming part of my routine

Shrimp/Veg Stirfry/Cauliflower Rice 

Stuffed Peppers

Green Salad with Chicken

Tomato-Basil Salad

Baba Ghanoush and Crudites

Madras Chicken Salad

Oh, I made Paleo Sriracha from NNP (the W30 version, sweetened with dates) and it is divine...

Have a great Sunday/prep day everyone!

Kristy

Love your menu How did you make the chili in the slow cooker I love it but the recipe I used wasn't tested in the slow cooker

Thank you for sharing I am still getting my sea legs you are fast becoming my new best friend

I started same day. I have been weight watchers for several years and found myself going in the wrong direction. Found this and had some customers tell me about it so I decided to give it a try. Like you thought I would die without diet cokes but am doing fine.

I used the process at the bottom of this recipe: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/ 

You can just dump it all in, but sauteing the onion/garlic/spices first really enhances the flavor.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much.  I used that recipe..and was afraid to use the slow cooker.  I felt if the pot was dirty -- I would stick with it.

I started same day. I have been weight watchers for several years and found myself going in the wrong direction. Found this and had some customers tell me about it so I decided to give it a try. Like you thought I would die without diet cokes but am doing fine.

Hi Susan, my husband and I started on the 13th, just finished day 11.

We just cancelled our WW membership because it was not working for us this time.    We had the points down...but I was yoyoing and when he and I had one of our bookstore dates, THE WHOLE 30 was right in front of us when we walked in -- we brought it to read while we had coffee upstairs and really like what it had to say.   So we bought the book

What I really like is that we are eating REAL food, no additives, no sugar or artificial sweetners, no grains, no beans and no dairy.    On WW I would have my cereal and banana and skim milk, I would nosh during the day, eat lean cuisines if I was too tired to cook.

Don't miss the cereal because I can have steak for breakfast

And most important, I am learning how to read labels -- really read labels.

WE LOVE THE FOOD.

Good Luck.   Just know there are plenty of people here on the forum for support.

Hi Susan, my husband and I started on the 13th, just finished day 11.

We just cancelled our WW membership because it was not working for us this time. We had the points down...but I was yoyoing and when he and I had one of our bookstore dates, THE WHOLE 30 was right in front of us when we walked in -- we brought it to read while we had coffee upstairs and really like what it had to say. So we bought the book

What I really like is that we are eating REAL food, no additives, no sugar or artificial sweetners, no grains, no beans and no dairy. On WW I would have my cereal and banana and skim milk, I would nosh during the day, eat lean cuisines if I was too tired to cook.

Don't miss the cereal because I can have steak for breakfast

And most important, I am learning how to read labels -- really read labels.

WE LOVE THE FOOD.

Good Luck. Just know there are plenty of people here on the forum for support.

You got it :)

Happy half-way point everybody!!!!! Happy dance!

Shockingly, my husband is still going strong with the program (probably just to prove me wrong, because I doubted him!). Hey, whatever works!! 

I have been meal planning several days in advance, which seems to work for the most part. I tried doing an entire week of plans, but invariably, something throws a wrench in that. Yesterday I had a brain fog though, and couldn't really think of compliant meals for the week--probably just overthinking things! So I delegated the planning task to my husband, who basically just copied everything from the week before!!! Ugh, that was frustrating. Naturally, I revised his version  ;)

Breakfasts have been pretty easy for me, lots of repetition (and yes, I'm sick of eggs). Dinners aren't too difficult either, but it's the LUNCHES where I'm getting stuck/bored/worn/challenged. I decided that while I like salad, I'm not a big fan of biting into something wrapped in lettuce. No matter what I tell my brain, lettuce is not a tortilla or piece of bread. 

Shockingly, my husband is still going strong with the program (probably just to prove me wrong, because I doubted him!). Hey, whatever works!! 

I have been meal planning several days in advance, which seems to work for the most part. I tried doing an entire week of plans, but invariably, something throws a wrench in that. Yesterday I had a brain fog though, and couldn't really think of compliant meals for the week--probably just overthinking things! So I delegated the planning task to my husband, who basically just copied everything from the week before!!! Ugh, that was frustrating. Naturally, I revised his version  ;)

Breakfasts have been pretty easy for me, lots of repetition (and yes, I'm sick of eggs). Dinners aren't too difficult either, but it's the LUNCHES where I'm getting stuck/bored/worn/challenged. I decided that while I like salad, I'm not a big fan of biting into something wrapped in lettuce. No matter what I tell my brain, lettuce is not a tortilla or piece of bread. 

Since I cook for work, I get pretty tired and sometimes have trouble cooking a ton of different stuff for myself. I've found that I can eat the same breakfast for 4-5 days (a frittata for example), but I need variety with my lunches and dinners, so I'll need two different composed meals to alternate for 4-6 days, and then I'll throw in a super easy meal for extra variety.

The past week I've been enjoying salmon protein salad with homemade mayo, celery, and onion, over lots of greens, and a piece of starchy veg (pan-fried plantains) or fruit, and zoodles with beefy red sauce and avocado.  My super easy meal was two compliant uncured turkey hot dogs, roasted organic red potatoes, sauerkraut, and compliant mustard.

Another great tool I've enjoyed is the emergency food pack from Pre-Made Paleo, which includes breakfast skillets for when I'm sick of eggs.

'Hi MG

Iam from LA and we would go to IN N'OUT BURGER and order a "protein wrap" the would wrap the burger in lettuce. It works best w/ iceberg lettuce because it is crispy. We would put the tomato and onions on top and enjoy. We did the same at MARIE CALLANDER (so we could have a piece of pie - but I digress :-) Seriously the crisper the lettuce the better---I am a great believer in one having Crunch in their day

For lunch, I have leftovers

Hang in there

I've been making a chicken salad with some crunch (roasted chicken, dried unsweetened cranberries, toasted walnuts, scallions or onions (whichever you prefer), and celery (sometimes a few grapes thrown in), and paleo mayo. I usually throw it on some greens, and with the crunch it feels less like a salad or lettuce wrap. Personally, I gave up on lettuce wraps after the first try—it felt like a huge let down and it was more difficult to navigate. But putting some salmon or chicken salad on greens doesn't feel so bad. 

I've been making a chicken salad with some crunch (roasted chicken, dried unsweetened cranberries, toasted walnuts, scallions or onions (whichever you prefer), and celery (sometimes a few grapes thrown in), and paleo mayo. I usually throw it on some greens, and with the crunch it feels less like a salad or lettuce wrap. Personally, I gave up on lettuce wraps after the first try—it felt like a huge let down and it was more difficult to navigate. But putting some salmon or chicken salad on greens doesn't feel so bad.

Sounds delish - I think I will try it

THANKS

courtnykay - chop up the burger/meat/whatever into the salad, so yea it's still a salad, but it's like a burger salad and better than biting into a lettuce wrapped burger. I mix with salsa (which is fairly easy to find a complient version) and avocado/guacamole and viola, taco salad.

High fives all around for halfway to 30!

Since I cook for work, I get pretty tired and sometimes have trouble cooking a ton of different stuff for myself. I've found that I can eat the same breakfast for 4-5 days (a frittata for example), but I need variety with my lunches and dinners, so I'll need two different composed meals to alternate for 4-6 days, and then I'll throw in a super easy meal for extra variety.

The past week I've been enjoying salmon protein salad with homemade mayo, celery, and onion, over lots of greens, and a piece of starchy veg (pan-fried plantains) or fruit, and zoodles with beefy red sauce and avocado.  My super easy meal was two compliant uncured turkey hot dogs, roasted organic red potatoes, sauerkraut, and compliant mustard.

Another great tool I've enjoyed is the emergency food pack from Pre-Made Paleo, which includes breakfast skillets for when I'm sick of eggs.

I haven't tried the Pre-Made Paleo products yet, and have been thinking about going to Tessemae's site to potentially place an order. I love the homemade mayos, sauces, dressings, etc, but I feel like all my time is spent in the kitchen these days! I have yet to venture into frittata territory...but have made egg cups/muffins. I have yet to find compliant hot dogs--where'd you find yours? I don't have a Trader Joe's by me until next month (yayyyy!!), so I've been hitting up Costco, Aldi and our local store (Meijer). It's slim pickings for compliant meats, that's for sure! 

Thanks for the idea, that shall be our lunch tomorrow!!!!  :)

hope everyone is doing well and staying strong and feeling great. I'm not there yet in terms of tiger blood... ---- dear god I have the faith but something, even a drop, soon, please --- It does help to hear about how you all are feeling and doing, positive and negative, but hope people come back to the forum soon. On these hard nights, this is the first place I go and love to hear from everyone (even if I am envious of your tiger blood!)

xoxo

I clearly am not getting the quote/reply deal, feel like a goofball. Think I need to try it on a real computer instead of kindle... maybe that will help??

@amg871 - In case you didn't catch my ill fated attempt to comment on your unfortunate broth incident, I felt your pain. Had just been searching (2 stores, regular and health food) for beef broth and could find NONE without sugar or worse stuff. I'm so glad you didn't let it derail you!

@lulujoy - I think the TB kicked in for me a little early - can't remember per timeline in book and I lent mine to a friend. I did my first whole30 in January and felt so good I've largely been eating that way since. Wonder if that has something to do with it. Decided to do an "official" one again after follow up blood work for celiac 1 year post diagnosis. Much improvement but still not perfect. I am still feeling good during the day but more on an even keel, rather than almost manic energy, and my sleep is finally good, which is huge for me!!

I need to do more of a cook-up on weekends. I prep veggies for convenience but haven't liked the idea of cooked meat sitting around in the fridge. Think I'll just start freezing cooked portions because I'm tired of the greasy cleanup. I have been totally digging zucchini noodles. I've been sweating them on a towel, sprinkled with a little salt, overnight. The towel ends up really wet and the noodles are a great consistency. I make a lot, roll up servings in paper towels and stack the rolls in my produce drawer. They keep really well. Love them with sunshine sauce!

Have a great rest-of-week all!

hope everyone is doing well and staying strong and feeling great. I'm not there yet in terms of tiger blood... ---- dear god I have the faith but something, even a drop, soon, please --- It does help to hear about how you all are feeling and doing, positive and negative, but hope people come back to the forum soon. On these hard nights, this is the first place I go and love to hear from everyone (even if I am envious of your tiger blood!)

xoxo

Awwww it's nice to know we are missed when we're not around! I'm with you - no tiger blood yet. I am feeling good, that's for sure, but not TB-quality good. What are some other positives besides TB? For me, I am definitely feeling like my clothes fit better, and I feel extremely proud of cutting out alcohol and snacking for 18 days straight. I hope you have some of these non-TB positives too!

I will give another shout-out to Nom Nom Paleo. She is actually making the food part fun! Last night I made her Umami Sliders (grilled) on lettuce leaves with guac and they were a grand slam hit with my whole family. Can't wait to chow into the leftovers for lunch...

Happy Thursday! My baby started kindergarten today :) :) :)

Kristy

Awwww it's nice to know we are missed when we're not around! I'm with you - no tiger blood yet. I am feeling good, that's for sure, but not TB-quality good. What are some other positives besides TB? For me, I am definitely feeling like my clothes fit better, and I feel extremely proud of cutting out alcohol and snacking for 18 days straight. I hope you have some of these non-TB positives too!

I will give another shout-out to Nom Nom Paleo. She is actually making the food part fun! Last night I made her Umami Sliders (grilled) on lettuce leaves with guac and they were a grand slam hit with my whole family. Can't wait to chow into the leftovers for lunch...

Happy Thursday! My baby started kindergarten today :) :) :)

Kristy

I think this is the longest I've gone without alcohol since I've been of drinking age. Yikes. What a reflection that is for me--um, that means I probably do it too much!?! Not gonna lie--a nice ice cold craft beer on a patio sounds delicious right now. That or an ice cream cone. But I am the same as you in finding the positives from the program--clothes definitely feeling a little looser these days! And it feels great to know what's going in my body is good, healthy stuff!

I think this is the longest I've gone without alcohol since I've been of drinking age. Yikes. What a reflection that is for me--um, that means I probably do it too much!?! Not gonna lie--a nice ice cold craft beer on a patio sounds delicious right now. That or an ice cream cone. But I am the same as you in finding the positives from the program--clothes definitely feeling a little looser these days! And it feels great to know what's going in my body is good, healthy stuff!

Yes and I've become hyper-aware of how much alcohol is part of my social circle. Not in a judgmental way, but it has opened my eyes. Especially in the summer when the neighbors will come out in the front yards and pass around beers! I had a little pity party about it last week and then moved on. I'm with you - next time I drink a beer, I want it to be a Bells Oberon after a long sunny productive day of yard work so I can truly appreciate it :)

Hi all!  Hope everyone is hanging in there:).

Things are still going well!  Recently, I made the Chocolate Chili and the Best Ever Chicken/Morrocan dip from Melissa Joulwan.  Both very good.  I loved the Moroccan dip.  

I didn't plan well this week, especially yesterday.  While everything I ate was compliant, my meals weren't as balanced as I would have liked, and I could tell the difference.

I am feeling pretty energetic and my mood is very even through the day.  I am not sure if I have Tiger Blood yet (although I think that I have been seeing glimpses here and there.)  My senior Yorkie has been getting me up at least once a night to go outside. 

I am the farthest thing from a morning person.  I have been setting my alarm at 5:00 to get up and exercise.  Before, I could literally get up every 10 minutes when it went off, walk across the room, hit the snooze, and go back to bed - for an hour!  Lately I have been able to get up right when the alarm goes off - no snooze needed.  And before, I would usually sit and drink coffee for at least a half hour to wake up before exercising.  Now, I definitely have more energy - instead of feeling the need to just sit there, I have been cleaning the kitchen, cooking breakfast, starting to exercise, etc.

It has definitely helped me to have a starchy vegetable at night.

I enjoy reading how everyone else is doing:).

xoxo

I'm feeling you on no tiger blood! I'm sticking to it, but feeling a bit worn out. I am beginning to think night shades will have to go next :( I had bell peppers 2 days in a row and quite honestly am feeling horrible today... We are sticking it out though and WILL get that tiger blood soon. :)

I'm not sure about Tiger's Blood, but I feel pretty darn good, and definitely a ton better than I was feeling before beginning this experiment. Just being free of a sinus infection for the first time in a year makes me feel like a champion! 

I've been falling behind a bit on planning leftovers, which will have to change before work starts up again in a couple of weeks. I am going to try planning well for that so I don't fall right back into the junk food scramble once I'm busy everyday.

The upshot is that throwing things together is creating some amazing new dishes! It's been in the 60s here in Chicago, and the fall weather has me craving savory dishes. 

Today I threw some shredded kale, brussel sprouts (SO much easier to cook them like that!), and ground turkey sausage in a skillet, added leftover roasted sweet potatoes, red bells, and onions, sprinkled with a teensy but of oregano and rosemary. Then, tossed in walnuts when they were almost done. It's freaking delicious. I try to imagine myself making such a dish a month ago….ummmmmm….nope. I would've shoved pizza or some random bread chunk in and called it a lunch. 

I've also been enjoying a yummy butternut squash soup with a  bit of a sweet taste that's served with bacons. Here's the recipe, but I leave out the nutmeg and cinnamon and add scallions as a garnish. It's best with a smaller squash. I've also enjoyed it with pork chops once the bacon is gone: http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/soups/bacon-butternut-squash-soup/

Yes and I've become hyper-aware of how much alcohol is part of my social circle. Not in a judgmental way, but it has opened my eyes. Especially in the summer when the neighbors will come out in the front yards and pass around beers! I had a little pity party about it last week and then moved on. I'm with you - next time I drink a beer, I want it to be a Bells Oberon after a long sunny productive day of yard work so I can truly appreciate it :)

THIS, SO MUCH THIS. It's been interesting trying to socialize without booze, because apparently drinking is part of every, single social interaction I have. I've been inviting people to actually go do things (take a walk around the lake, art museum). My work involves a lot of social functions, and I suspect I will pick up social drinking once this is over. I think, though, that I will try to move to a couple glasses of wine instead of quite a few beers. ;) 

Archived