New Around Here - Anyone Starting August 10?

kndacus

Guest unknown

Aloha,

I'm working hard to focus on the positive changes... small but significant for me. I'm finding that I am not getting hungry between meals and except for the occasional piece of fruit with almond butter, I am not snacking (this is huge for me). I also am finally feeling like I can read my body's cues for when I am truly ready to eat for health and fuel, not as a "reward" for getting through the day/job/workout/whatever (the old me could always find a reason for a treat!)

I got a new job and had to get a physical so did get weighed. I've only lost XXX pounds (need to lose 50!) which was a bit disheartening. My clothes aren't loose or fitting better yet but as my sister (also doing the Whole30 with me from afar) said "30 years of bad habits don't get made up for in a few weeks." True, dat. The best news is that after having pre-hypertension for the last 5 years (elevated blood pressure but not enough to medicate) my blood pressure at my physical was very close to normal. So that is a HUGE development and real motivation for continuing with the healthy changes. 

It's a bit surprising to me, the foods I don't really miss. The challenge is, oddly for me, eating enough. The weather has been extremely humid here in the islands due to tropical storm moisture off our coasts and it just dampens the appetite. I make a big batch of something compliant and it lasts for days and days... I need to cook more creatively, but it's hard for one. 

Keep hanging in! It's nice to be on the downhill stretch. I look forward to being able to put a bit of stevia in my Kona coffee again  :D

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aloha,

I'm working hard to focus on the positive changes... small but significant for me. I'm finding that I am not getting hungry between meals and except for the occasional piece of fruit with almond butter, I am not snacking (this is huge for me). I also am finally feeling like I can read my body's cues for when I am truly ready to eat for health and fuel, not as a "reward" for getting through the day/job/workout/whatever (the old me could always find a reason for a treat!)

I got a new job and had to get a physical so did get weighed. I've only lost XXX pounds (need to lose 50!) which was a bit disheartening. My clothes aren't loose or fitting better yet but as my sister (also doing the Whole30 with me from afar) said "30 years of bad habits don't get made up for in a few weeks." True, dat. The best news is that after having pre-hypertension for the last 5 years (elevated blood pressure but not enough to medicate) my blood pressure at my physical was very close to normal. So that is a HUGE development and real motivation for continuing with the healthy changes. 

It's a bit surprising to me, the foods I don't really miss. The challenge is, oddly for me, eating enough. The weather has been extremely humid here in the islands due to tropical storm moisture off our coasts and it just dampens the appetite. I make a big batch of something compliant and it lasts for days and days... I need to cook more creatively, but it's hard for one. 

Keep hanging in! It's nice to be on the downhill stretch. I look forward to being able to put a bit of stevia in my Kona coffee again  :D

HI LKRider

Please note that weighing is against the rules and even if you had to weigh for your new job you did not have to announce the results here. Whilst I'm sure it was not your intention doing so can indirectly encourage others to do the same so as to compare their own results and so I have edited your post accordingly.

On that note please bear in mind that this is a 30 day programme and you have a way to go yet - many people see the most magic happen in the latter stages so keep on keeping on.... and as your sister says please bear in mind that 30days is often not long enough to fix the damage of 30years - your body will prioritise healing over weight loss until it finds itself in a happy enough place to start shedding if that's what is needed.

In the meantime focus on those NSV's - Great news on the blood pressure!!

i forgot who was asking about compliant hotdogs but i found applegate ones at Bj's Wholesale (which is like Costco). So this is my second whole30 and I just had to read the article about why Round 2 might be harder  than the first. it is!!! I feel fine. Not great. Not terrible. Just, fine. I definitely cleaned my diet up a ton after Round 1 (last November), so part of me is happy that I'm not seeing "major" changes during this round, because i guess that means my in-between rounds eating is pretty good. the part of me is slightly annoyed because who doesn't want Tiger's Blood!

Agree though with the recent postings on booze. I mean an IPA sounds pretty great right now, but I'm not actually missing it. It's Friday happy hour time, and I'm happy to just go outdoors and relax. I don't need a beer for that. and for that I thank whole30 for making me realize. I can even go out with friends and not drink. Oddly they don't even seem to care, or notice! Plus now I can look forward to weekends as more time for grocery shopping! 

Hope everyone is doing well - and most importantly, stick to it. It's worth it. 

Day 20! Can you believe it?

Yesterday was the first day I needed to taste something at work that wasn't compliant. Buckwheat and sweet potato noodle salad with carrot, cucumber, ginger, and honey. 

Chew, taste, and spit.

It was good, but at this point the small amount of honey that was in it tasted so sweet it almost burned out my tastebud. My client will love it.

I do miss the texture of rice noodles.

I'm also still struggling with eating a good first meal within an hour of waking. It seems I can't wake myself up early enough to get hungry before I leave for work.

I'm still sleeping 9-10 hours each night. I'm attributing this to finally starting treatment for my MTHFR mutation and starting to heal.

While I'm awake, I'm feeling better than I have in SO long, so thats good.

10 more days!

Hi August 10-ers.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm feeling good, and very happy but incredibly BORED with the program.  Anyone else?   I'm 100% compliant, but bored with food choices, and totally miss having a glass of wine.   But I do feel good.   Still pretty tired.  

Hi August 10-ers.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm feeling good, and very happy but incredibly BORED with the program.  Anyone else?   I'm 100% compliant, but bored with food choices, and totally miss having a glass of wine.   But I do feel good.   Still pretty tired.

The boredom can happen: try mixing in some new veggies, proteins, sauces or recipes.

On being tired: are you drinking at least 1/2 oz water per pound of body weight, daily? Are you having at least one fist-sized serving of starchy veggies daily? If you'd like more detailed feedback, post 2-3 days worth of your food log, along with exercise and nightly hours of sleep in the Troubleshooting section.http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/

Hi everybody... Day 21 is here! Yay us!

My husband and I are in a bit of a dip. I've discovered that I'm extremely sensitive to starchy carbs and if I go more than ~12 hours without a serving I develop a massive headache. Yesterday I had sweet potato super-early (like 6 a.m.) and no starch at lunch, and my head was really throbbing at around 6 p.m. So this week I'm going to try to have smaller portions, more often.  I'm SICK of sweet potatoes but they're the easiest. Today I am going to pick up a bigger variety.

We will power through the last 10 days.

Another challenge... missed my CSA share pickup last week because I ended up in the ER with my son (he's fine, just 2 staples from bashing his head while goofing off). I have to go to more than one grocery store to get the produce I want, so that's the task for today.

Here's the plan for the week:

Italian Pork Roast from Melissa Joulwan (back by request from my husband!)

Meat sauce and spaghetti squash "pasta"

Madras Chicken Salad from Nom Nom Paleo

Leek Soup 

Seared Salmon

Roasted Broccoli (this has transformed my relationship with broccoli! You must try it!)

Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

Guacamole

Have a great prep day everyone... we will be in single digits tomorrow!

Kristy

My husband and I are in a bit of a dip. I've discovered that I'm extremely sensitive to starchy carbs and if I go more than ~12 hours without a serving I develop a massive headache. Yesterday I had sweet potato super-early (like 6 a.m.) and no starch at lunch, and my head was really throbbing at around 6 p.m. So this week I'm going to try to have smaller portions, more often.  I'm SICK of sweet potatoes but they're the easiest. Today I am going to pick up a bigger variety

Instead of increasing your meals, why not have more daily starchy carbs at your 3 meals? Carrots are another starchy carb, and just as easy, if not easier, than sweet potatoes.

My husband and I are in a bit of a dip. I've discovered that I'm extremely sensitive to starchy carbs and if I go more than ~12 hours without a serving I develop a massive headache. Yesterday I had sweet potato super-early (like 6 a.m.) and no starch at lunch, and my head was really throbbing at around 6 p.m. So this week I'm going to try to have smaller portions, more often.  I'm SICK of sweet potatoes but they're the easiest. Today I am going to pick up a bigger variety.

We will power through the last 10 days.

Another challenge... missed my CSA share pickup last week because I ended up in the ER with my son (he's fine, just 2 staples from bashing his head while goofing off). I have to go to more than one grocery store to get the produce I want, so that's the task for today.

Here's the plan for the week:

Italian Pork Roast from Melissa Joulwan (back by request from my husband!)

Meat sauce and spaghetti squash "pasta"

Madras Chicken Salad from Nom Nom Paleo

Leek Soup 

Seared Salmon

Roasted Broccoli (this has transformed my relationship with broccoli! You must try it!)

Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

Guacamole

Have a great prep day everyone... we will be in single digits tomorrow!

Kristy

Say whaaaaaaa???? Sick of sweet potatoes?! How could that be?!?! LOL!! I swear I could eat them every day, at every meal hahah!!!

Last night I made "chips" from them, as a base for my "nachos", and it was super tasty having the sweetness of the chips with the spice of the meat and guac....so much so, that I didn't even miss the cheese and sour cream that are staples in anything Mexi that we eat! :)

I think I feel about eggs how you do about sweet potatoes. I need to work on breaking down my mental standards of what "breakfast" looks like, that has been a struggle for me in recent days.

Happy MONDAY everyone!! Woohoo day 22!! Go us! 

Is anyone else annoyed with the Whole30 naysayers and skeptics???? I was at a 4 year old's bday party yesterday, where of course the menu consisted of subs and pizza and chips/dip :(  I hated fielding all these questions from people not understanding what the program is. I read "It Starts With Food", and it made SO. MUCH. SENSE. But it's been hard for me to regurgitate what I learned when under fire from people...."why is CORN bad, it's a vegetable!" "how do you get calcium if you don't drink MILK?" "how much weight have you lost?!". Explaining a nonscale victory makes them just look at you like you're insane. 

No wonder I've been a hermit the last 21 days, social settings are annoying! Or maybe I'm just cranky  ;)

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great last week! We're in the home stretch now! Although I must say, we hope to continue a pretty clean method of eating in the future, it helps that the hubby's doctor recommended it! Yay! Reinforement!! :)

Happy MONDAY everyone!! Woohoo day 22!! Go us! 

Is anyone else annoyed with the Whole30 naysayers and skeptics???? I was at a 4 year old's bday party yesterday, where of course the menu consisted of subs and pizza and chips/dip :(  I hated fielding all these questions from people not understanding what the program is. I read "It Starts With Food", and it made SO. MUCH. SENSE. But it's been hard for me to regurgitate what I learned when under fire from people...."why is CORN bad, it's a vegetable!" "how do you get calcium if you don't drink MILK?" "how much weight have you lost?!". Explaining a nonscale victory makes them just look at you like you're insane. 

No wonder I've been a hermit the last 21 days, social settings are annoying! Or maybe I'm just cranky  ;)

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great last week! We're in the home stretch now! Although I must say, we hope to continue a pretty clean method of eating in the future, it helps that the hubby's doctor recommended it! Yay! Reinforement!! :)

Yes, I get so much, "Well, what CAN you eat then?!" My reply usually runs something along the lines of, "Well, I had a ribeye for lunch today, how was that sandwich?" I had a casual dinner with some friends at my place who were acting super put-out, like they had no freaking idea what we could possibly eat, and I just jumped in the kitchen and cooked up some salmon with lemon and dill, and an awesome veggie dish in about 25 minutes. Take that, you guys! Seriously, I have basically given up on going to any kind of social event that involves food and/or drinking, which is to say I really don't go out. I tried to go on a date last week, and ended up proposing a walk! Success! Brought some compliant snacks and...No temptations! (This also saved me from spending half the date explaining my diet.) 

When these 30 days are over (OMG, we're almost there!), I really don't want to dive back into the junk food paradise again, but I suspect I will have to make some choices about what I am and am not willing to "splurge" on in public. I do plan to follow the plan to reintroduce some things, but there are other foods I just know I don't want or need in my life anymore. I mean, I know I'm not gluten intolerant, but I don't want to dive back into the carb bombs. I know I don't want sugar, and I know I don't need dairy all the time. I am going to try my hardest to resist processed foods as often as possible, since eliminating those takes a lot off the table already. I am looking forward to that glass of wine or a whiskey though! 

I fell into a boredom stage about food, too, and today is my day to jump back in and make a few dishes to save the week. I think I just coasted for a few days on leftovers, made something I didn't like, then felt meh. And I was also sick of sweet potatoes, but started tossing in more veggies to spice it up (sweet, baby bell peppers, kale, brussell sprouts, carrots, some spices, onion, etc) and make different dishes. Making them more savory than sweet helps. 

WE ARE ALMOST THERE. GREAT WORK! 

Wow.  Love the story about whipping into the Naysayers' kitchen and coming back with salmon & veggies!  Nailed it!   I actually have gone out with the family (ice cream parlour), and for drinks with co-workers (had bubbly water and lime) and it was funnily enough, much easier than I had imagined it would be.  Now none of them are Naysayers (not to say my 10 year olds don't try to tempt me constantly with the ice cream since they find that hilarious) but I actually found I could just enjoy the event without the eats/drinks.   I did try the W30 mayo two nights ago, following my BORED post, and it was really awesome.  You have to go so slow with the oil though; just above a drip.  But totally worth it.  But at any rate, we rock, here on the 22nd Day, so stay strong, especially those of you with the extra trouble of Naysayers!   Stay the course!

• Administrators

I did try the W30 mayo two nights ago, following my BORED post, and it was really awesome.  You have to go so slow with the oil though; just above a drip.  

Or....just throw all the ingredients in a jar (don't worry about the room temperature thing), insert a stick blender (immersion blender) and press go.  Mayo in 30 seconds or less.  No drizzling, no waiting for ingredients to warm up!  :D

Courtney Kay, I'm w you on the alcohol awareness. This is my first reply to this forum. I've been to 2 baseball and games and an outdoor concert. Drinking cheap coffee and water was an eye opener. This is the longest I've gone w out any alcohol since I turned 21. I haven't been reading all of these posts, but dang! Everything I've been feeling/ dealing with, everyone else has too. It makes me wonder how much of my feeling food is from food elimination or booze elimination. I'm so glad you posted your honesty.

Or....just throw all the ingredients in a jar (don't worry about the room temperature thing), insert a stick blender (immersion blender) and press go.  Mayo in 30 seconds or less.  No drizzling, no waiting for ingredients to warm up!   :D

Dang it ladyshanny, you're really tempting me with this whole immersion blender thing!!! I must cave and finally get one!!! My arm hurts when I make 2 batches of mayo from pouring in the dang oil haha!!!

Courtney Kay, I'm w you on the alcohol awareness. This is my first reply to this forum. I've been to 2 baseball and games and an outdoor concert. Drinking cheap coffee and water was an eye opener. This is the longest I've gone w out any alcohol since I turned 21. I haven't been reading all of these posts, but dang! Everything I've been feeling/ dealing with, everyone else has too. It makes me wonder how much of my feeling food is from food elimination or booze elimination. I'm so glad you posted your honesty.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one Brit6j!! I'm actually kind of nervous to reintroduce alcohol...primarily because what I normally drink is a triple whammy: gluten, alcohol AND sugar!! I might start out with just some rum and a Lacroix flavored sparkling water. 

So I went to a bday party for my friend who introduced me to whole30, and she asked if I was still "whole30-ing." And when I said yup, she said, oh there's 3 other people here also on whole30. So eventually maybe we will all be like her, and start a little following of whole30 friends:) that being said, I walked in with a bottle of sparkling water and have you ever paid attention to who else is NOT Drinking at a party? Guess that was the first time I did, because there were more non drinkers than id thought. And someone even asked me if I got the water at the party, because she wanted one too (and she wasn't one of the other whole39ers!) So guess we don't always stick out for not drinking...which has been eye opening for me. It's actually socially acceptable to just not have a beer. Who knew:)

Are we down to one week????!!!!

So I went to a bday party for my friend who introduced me to whole30, and she asked if I was still "whole30-ing." And when I said yup, she said, oh there's 3 other people here also on whole30. So eventually maybe we will all be like her, and start a little following of whole30 friends:) that being said, I walked in with a bottle of sparkling water and have you ever paid attention to who else is NOT Drinking at a party? Guess that was the first time I did, because there were more non drinkers than id thought. And someone even asked me if I got the water at the party, because she wanted one too (and she wasn't one of the other whole39ers!) So guess we don't always stick out for not drinking...which has been eye opening for me. It's actually socially acceptable to just not have a beer. Who knew:)

Are we down to one week????!!!!

So funny that this concept is one of the biggest revelations of the program for us, huh?!?! Good for you, glad you had a better party experience than I did. I am also hoping that our food movement in this country continues to shift toward healthier, more sustainable options! 

Random request: anybody have a go-to, awesome & delicious brussel sprouts recipe?? I've never made them before, and I've only ate them once (at a nice tapas restaurant, and they were sooooo good and probably smothered in something very very bad but very very tasty!!). I'm hoping to add them into my veggie mix, I'm sick of peppers!!!

Random request: anybody have a go-to, awesome & delicious brussel sprouts recipe?? I've never made them before, and I've only ate them once (at a nice tapas restaurant, and they were sooooo good and probably smothered in something very very bad but very very tasty!!). I'm hoping to add them into my veggie mix, I'm sick of peppers!!!

I roast mine in ghee with sweet potato, parsnips & bacon (And spices of choice), then serve with fried eggs... Just spotted that they're back in season here  :wub:

I'm slightly nervous about the next few days.

Last minute, I booked a yoga retreat in Vermont. I'll be cooking 12-14 hours a day and while some of the food will fit into my Whole30, other dishes won't. It'll will be a very intense few days and its going to be difficult to make myself sit down and eat every 4-5 hours, especially when I've got certain deadlines to make.

I'll also have to taste non-Whole30 foods and spit, which take a little more time than just swallowing.

I'm glad for the opportunity to work at a place I love, and at least the menu will be 100% gluten free.

Wish me luck!

I'm slightly nervous about the next few days.

Last minute, I booked a yoga retreat in Vermont. I'll be cooking 12-14 hours a day and while some of the food will fit into my Whole30, other dishes won't. It'll will be a very intense few days and its going to be difficult to make myself sit down and eat every 4-5 hours, especially when I've got certain deadlines to make.

I'll also have to taste non-Whole30 foods and spit, which take a little more time than just swallowing.

I'm glad for the opportunity to work at a place I love, and at least the menu will be 100% gluten free.

Wish me luck!

You've got this. Sounds like an intense but satisfying experience!

Archived