New Around Here - Anyone Starting August 10?

kndacus

I'm slightly nervous about the next few days.

Last minute, I booked a yoga retreat in Vermont. I'll be cooking 12-14 hours a day and while some of the food will fit into my Whole30, other dishes won't. It'll will be a very intense few days and its going to be difficult to make myself sit down and eat every 4-5 hours, especially when I've got certain deadlines to make.

I'll also have to taste non-Whole30 foods and spit, which take a little more time than just swallowing.

I'm glad for the opportunity to work at a place I love, and at least the menu will be 100% gluten free.

Wish me luck!

Good luck girl!!! I give you a lot of credit, I don't know if I could do that!!! 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Courtnykay - http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/02/07/wf2-recipe-garlic-mustard-brussels-sprouts/

Super easy and super good! Just you know, make sure your mustard is compliant:)

Yoga weekend in Vermont sounds awesome mg23! Focus on that more than the food...even if that's what you'll be doing the most of. You got this!

Thanks!! I'll be printing that out today for sure!! 

Glad to hear everyone is still doing well!  I can't believe we only have 7 days left:).

Quick question.  I posted this in the reintroduction forum, but didn't get a response.  When you are reintroducing foods, does anyone know if you have to eat that food at every meal, i.e. legumes at M1, M2, and M3?  I am asking for either a structured or a slow-roll reintro - can't decide which I am going to do, probably the latter.

Thanks!! 

Courtnykay - http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/02/07/wf2-recipe-garlic-mustard-brussels-sprouts/

Super easy and super good! Just you know, make sure your mustard is compliant:)

Yoga weekend in Vermont sounds awesome mg23! Focus on that more than the food...even if that's what you'll be doing the most of. You got this!

Thanks for the Brussel Sprouts link....looks very tasty....will try and get back to you. :D

Glad to hear everyone is still doing well!  I can't believe we only have 7 days left:).

Quick question.  I posted this in the reintroduction forum, but didn't get a response.  When you are reintroducing foods, does anyone know if you have to eat that food at every meal, i.e. legumes at M1, M2, and M3?  I am asking for either a structured or a slow-roll reintro - can't decide which I am going to do, probably the latter.

Thanks!! 

Based on what I've read, for a structured reintro you usually reintroduce the food/group for that day at every meal, and for a slow roll you don't necessarily do so since you're reintroducing foods on an "as it happens" kind of basis. However, this being my first whole30 and not having done reintro before, hopefully one of the mods or more experienced folks will correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on what I've read, for a structured reintro you usually reintroduce the food/group for that day at every meal, and for a slow roll you don't necessarily do so since you're reintroducing foods on an "as it happens" kind of basis. However, this being my first whole30 and not having done reintro before, hopefully one of the mods or more experienced folks will correct me if I'm wrong.

Rfisher is 100% correct!  :)

I had something new for lunch today - and it was so refreshing I thought I would share. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/avocado_tuna_salad/

It's Tuna salad made with avocado, not mayo. Instead of 1/2 avocado I used 1/2 a cup guac from Trader Joes - the hot, lime, cilantro one AND I added 1 HB egg. Had it on butter lettuce leaves. Be generous with the lemon!

I am FINALLY, as of day 23, feeling like I may be able to recognize benefits to this whole thing. (It probably helped that I got my period... I had no idea how much I would eat in the past for those 3-4 days before, this time, even when I didn't indulge I still felt large and bloated and cranky, and can't imagine how I felt when I did indulge! I really think it's why I am always on a slow incline up on the scale... 

ANyway, hope you try a new fresh easy tuna salad for lunch/breakfast/dinner. 

Oh - also made the WHOLE30 Sheperds Pie w/ sweet potato. I didn't double it, thank god! Lots to eat!

We are DOING this!

ps. Anyone nervous for the holiday weekend? I am hosting three Bbbs at the lake. On one hand I feel like I am so close there is no way I am not going to finish strong (esp since I am just feeling some of the benefits) but on the other .... ughhhh. Come Monday night I am going to feel so proud of myself!!!

Oh, the tuna avocado salad sounds delish! I'm getting bored with guac and mayo tuna salad... I will be having that for lunch tomorrow :)

We will definitely be challenged to the very end of this W30 with Labor Day weekend! I already let my mom know what we're up to and she's been very supportive. I told her we will cook one meal and that if she can do a grilled meat and easy veggie for the others, we will just pass on any other sides that we can't eat. I will miss drinking wine with my mom though :(

I  have a request for recipe ideas: We just finished off a delicious bone-in pork shoulder roast and I would love to use the bone to flavor a soup. The only soup I know how to make with pork is a bean soup... anyone have any recommendations for a W30 soup?

• Administrators

I  have a request for recipe ideas: We just finished off a delicious bone-in pork shoulder roast and I would love to use the bone to flavor a soup. The only soup I know how to make with pork is a bean soup... anyone have any recommendations for a W30 soup?

ANY soup really.

My three favourites right now:

Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup

Golden Cauli Soup

Blender Muligatawny

Check out this thread on the forum too for tonnes of ideas.  Basically pork bone broth can be used exactly as chicken, beef or veggie.  :)

ANY soup really.

My three favourites right now:

Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup

Golden Cauli Soup

Blender Muligatawny

Check out this thread on the forum too for tonnes of ideas.  Basically pork bone broth can be used exactly as chicken, beef or veggie.   :)

Awesome! I am getting my CSA box this afternoon so I will construct something around whatever there is. Thank you!

Day 25 - feeling frustrated.

Went to Starbucks this morning and ordered what I thought was a safe herbal tea. I had this one other time about a week ago. It turns out that while it doesn't have soy lecithin in it, it DOES HAVE candied pineapple and mango as well as acai powder which contains maltodextrin. SO FRUSTRATED.

I didn't even think that I would have to ask about added sugar in a simple herbal tea. And it turns out that it isn't herbal at all, like the person said, it has white tea in it, which is fine, but not great since I am pretty sensitive to caffeine. But seriously - why does everything have to have sugar in it? ARGH!

I have only eaten out three times in the last 30 days and have really avoided anything I didn't make or couldn't directly read the ingredients on, except for the two times I went to Starbucks.

I am not starting over. But I sure am disappointed. I have been so damn careful about everything. 

ps. Anyone nervous for the holiday weekend? I am hosting three Bbbs at the lake. On one hand I feel like I am so close there is no way I am not going to finish strong (esp since I am just feeling some of the benefits) but on the other .... ughhhh. Come Monday night I am going to feel so proud of myself!!!

Um yes totally 100% nervous but also excited to prove to myself that I can do this!!! We are going camping tonight to Sunday, and I have done so much work this week to meal plan/prep so that we don't find ourselves in a pinch! For both my husband and I, it will be our first sober camping trip in 12+ years, as well as the first without smores, hobo pies, cheeseburgers, ice cream....ahhh! What are we gonna do?! Luckily I planned some outings for us--canoeing, Jeep trails, beach visits, card games, bike rides so that we don't find ourselves tempted to swing by the brewery in town!  :)

Went to Starbucks this morning and ordered what I thought was a safe herbal tea. I had this one other time about a week ago. It turns out that while it doesn't have soy lecithin in it, it DOES HAVE candied pineapple and mango as well as acai powder which contains maltodextrin. SO FRUSTRATED.

I didn't even think that I would have to ask about added sugar in a simple herbal tea. And it turns out that it isn't herbal at all, like the person said, it has white tea in it, which is fine, but not great since I am pretty sensitive to caffeine. But seriously - why does everything have to have sugar in it? ARGH!

I have only eaten out three times in the last 30 days and have really avoided anything I didn't make or couldn't directly read the ingredients on, except for the two times I went to Starbucks.

I am not starting over. But I sure am disappointed. I have been so damn careful about everything. 

So sorry to hear this MsZ!!! It really just goes to show what a sneaky little devil SUGAR is, it's hiding EVERYWHERE!!!!! That is why I haven't gone out to eat at all while on the program, and I only have had tea twice (both times asking the barista to show me the packaging so I could check ingredients). I felt like a weirdo, but oh well! 

Are you going to add on days next week? Or just do another whole 30 in the future? I feel horrible that this happened to you since I know that you've been struggling in certain areas at times in the last few weeks, and you've been SOOO determined!! Hang in there!! 

I plan to do another one probably in October or November, if you want to team up later in a thread!  ;)

So sorry to hear this MsZ!!! It really just goes to show what a sneaky little devil SUGAR is, it's hiding EVERYWHERE!!!!! That is why I haven't gone out to eat at all while on the program, and I only have had tea twice (both times asking the barista to show me the packaging so I could check ingredients). I felt like a weirdo, but oh well! 

Are you going to add on days next week? Or just do another whole 30 in the future? I feel horrible that this happened to you since I know that you've been struggling in certain areas at times in the last few weeks, and you've been SOOO determined!! Hang in there!! 

I plan to do another one probably in October or November, if you want to team up later in a thread!  ;)

Thanks, courtnykay!

I have decided to just let it go and finish on day 30. I mean, obviously I will still keep going with it as I move forward and start testing things and seeing how my body reacts.

The one consolation is that I have done a formal elimination diet before, so I feel pretty confident that I have identified most of the things that give me trouble. This was meant to be a reset since I have gotten sloppy over the last 6 months. And it has definitely been that for me. Also, removing over consumption of rice has been so good.

My husband and I have been talking about maybe doing like a Whole15 every 6 months just to reset on a more regular basis. I like that idea too. Basically, though, I think that we have made some big changes to the way we eat that we will stick with for the long haul. It will be nice to just relax a few things and go out to eat without stressing!

My wife and I went out last night to a local bar and grill. I had 1 pound of peel and eat shrimp with a mountain of fires and she had a breaded catfish sandwich with fries. We haven't finished the Whole30 but we don't care. We aren't spending money on fancy additives or powders here and no one is paying us to finish it either. We have seen the results in 24 days and we will continue eating healthier than before we started and stay away from sugar as much as possible since that is what gives me the joint pains. 24 days or 30 days doesn't matter long term.

My wife and I went out last night to a local bar and grill. I had 1 pound of peel and eat shrimp with a mountain of fires and she had a breaded catfish sandwich with fries. We haven't finished the Whole30 but we don't care. We aren't spending money on fancy additives or powders here and no one is paying us to finish it either. We have seen the results in 24 days and we will continue eating healthier than before we started and stay away from sugar as much as possible since that is what gives me the joint pains. 24 days or 30 days doesn't matter long term.

Ok, so to be clear, you chose to follow Whole30 eating until you had this meal? That's certainly your call. We ask that if you continue to post the off-plan food you're eating, please do so in the post-Whole30 section of the forum, to not confuse newbies reading this thread.

It's seriously insane, right? More than anything else, this has opened my eyes to the fact that sugar and soy are in almost every food readily available. I had a similar situate unfold with an "herbal tea" a couple of weeks ago. Sorry to hear about this, but don't let it stop you from feeling super proud—you've done a terrific job! 

I have to admit that reading that post about "screw it, let me tell you what my wife and I just ate" while some of us are struggling to remain compliant against all odds made me a little mad for a second. I started on the 9th, and cannot believe I'm almost done. The crazy thing is, I'm afraid that once I start reintroducing foods (especially sugar, which I STILL think about), it will be hard to hold onto the reigns and I would really like to continue eating clean.

Thanks for the soup recipes, Ladyshanny—I'm setting these aside for a few weeks from now when it will be cool enough to enjoy some warm soup here. 

Good luck to everyone this weekend! Home stretch, we got this! 

OK - I have been silent because I haven't done well.  I fell off the wagon again.  I won't bore you with all the excuses because I am ashamed to admit how easily I gave up.  I have enjoyed reading all the helpful posts and hope that on my next attempt I will be able to contribute.  Congratulations to all who had more fortitude that I did.   ;)

Hi everyone! I am back from our camping trip, and still am in amazement that we did not fall off the whole30 wagon! Not trying to brag here, because I know the struggle is REAL, but I am also pretty proud of me and my husband because A) we didn't kill each other this weekend and B) we actually had a really good time eating compliant foods and NOT drinking alcohol (our usual camping staple). We even met up with some family members for a picnic at the beach at sunset and they were all drinking and indulging on cheese and crackers and we stuck to our guns---and had still had fun! 

However, this is not to say I wasn't SUPER TEMPTED many times!!! We went to the farmer's market, where there was an over-abundance of sugary baked homemade sweets and naughty things like meat & cheese sticks and gourmet popcorn and oh so much goodness. It was really overwhelming and probably the toughest situation to arise yet...but I think being so close to the end is what made us refrain. My mind was even making up excuses, like "well Courtny, you're hoping to get pregnant in the near future and you won't be able to drink for like, a year, so this is probably your last camping trip, do you really want to avoid all the goodness of food and drink that goes with camping?". Devilish little brain!!!! I have never been addicted to something, but it did open my eyes a little bit to the power of cravings, I give alot of credit to those who fight big addictions like drugs. Wow!

So as I write this, I am meal planning my next few days as we prepare to start reintroducing off-plan foods. I have a major brain fart. I'm staring at this sheet of paper, and I don't know what to write. I think I have a little anxiety about it. I also think I am in shock it's almost done. I just can't seem to fathom what to plan for the rest of the week, or where to go from here. Who'd of thought..........???

OK - I have been silent because I haven't done well.  I fell off the wagon again.  I won't bore you with all the excuses because I am ashamed to admit how easily I gave up.  I have enjoyed reading all the helpful posts and hope that on my next attempt I will be able to contribute.  Congratulations to all who had more fortitude that I did.   ;)

You can do this! Do you have someone you can partner with - it made all the difference for me. Keep us posted!

Archived