Freezing Food

Shawie

What foods do you guys keep in the freezer?  

Currently I have chicken (breasts and thighs), frozen berries (although I haven't touched those in a while), frozen pineapple, milk fish, ground turkey, and frozen spinach.

I went to Costco yesterday and bought a bag full of garlic and a bag full of limes.  I doubt I will use all of these in a month so... I'm considering freezing half.  Is this a good idea? ...or am I just asking for trouble for doing this? lol I have no idea! I just don't want them to go to waste by spoiling. How should I store these?

Those won't freeze worth two hoots but you can make a bunch of lime ice cubes.  Squeeze the limes w/pulp into ice cube trays...add water.   Use them for your drinking water.    Garlic bulbs keep for a mighty long time in the fridge.  Put on your door. 

I love that big bag of garlic  :wub:  I bought one this past February and I am down to the last 2 bulbs. Other than a few green sprouts, the bag lasted fine. The bulbs that had started to sprout, I split in half lengthwise and just popped the sprout out. I typically keep my garlic with my onions and away from any potatoes in the house -- the onions will cause the potatoes to sprout.

Things I love to keep in the freezer -- cut up pork shoulder, pork chops and roasts (hubby loves pork), b/s chicken breasts and thighs, ground meat chubs, frozen burgers -- the 1/3 sirloin burgers from costco -- great for quick meals, frozen veggies single kinds and complaint mixes. I like to keep some fish in there too -- the iqf fish from costco, usually cod or salmon, frozen salad shrimp. Other than that, it is things I have made for quick meals -- meatballs, chicken patties, meatloaf mix.... 

• Administrators

When I have too many limes (or lemons), I zest them onto a piece of parchment/waxed paper and then fold that up nice and tight and wrap tightly in saran and freeze it.  Then I juice the citrus and freeze that too.

My deep freeze is basically packed with bulk meats and some berries from last season's pickings (didn't bother doing it this year as we still have lots from last year).  My upstairs fridge-freezer has a constantly rotating series of bone broth jars, quicker meats like packs of sausages/drum sticks/burger patties and a couple large ziploc bags that collects all my veggie trimmings that I use in bone broth once a week.  I also put any leftovers that I had to freeze in the fridge-freezer because anything in there needs to turn over quicker to avoid freezer burn.  This way I don't forget all about it.  It's a system that only I understand.  ;)

When I bought one of those big bags of garlic, I roasted all the heads, squeezed out the cloves, and then packed the "garlic mush" into ice cube trays to freeze in individual portions. Once frozen, I popped them out and put them in a big ziploc to use whenever I wanted roasted garlic.

When I bought one of those big bags of garlic, I roasted all the heads, squeezed out the cloves, and then packed the "garlic mush" into ice cube trays to freeze in individual portions. Once frozen, I popped them out and put them in a big ziploc to use whenever I wanted roasted garlic.

Ooooo now there's a plan...

Archived