Kara coconut milk

AlisonB

I am new to this forum and planning to start my first Whole30 on Monday.

My usual brand of coconut milk is Kara, widely available in the UK and with the following ingredients:

Ingredients: Filtered water, Coconut milk 8.4%, Grape juice concentrate, Calcium phosphate, Emulsifier: Sucrose ester, Sea salt, Colour: Natural carotene, Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12Hi

I've searched in previous topics but the only other reference seems to be to the chocolate variety which is clearly not compliant. Does the emulsifier rule this one out, too? I know small amounts of fruit juice concentrate are acceptable.

Many thanks,

Alison

Hi Alison

Just wanted to say hello. I'm new to this as well, I started this monday. I live in Scotland so know the difficulties of sourcing stuff over here. The Ethical Superstore www.ethical superstore.com sells 2 types of organic coconut milk in cans without any of the nasty stuff. I believe they're near Newcastle but they do great delivery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for digging up this topic but I'm also a brit and having a nightmare finding compliant coconut milk in the shops. Tesco don't seem to stock the chakoh brand where I live and tried a local "organic" shop but they only had the blue dragon verity which has heaps of E numbers! Sainsbury's have an organic one called Kingfisher, ingredients: Organic Coconut Extract (60%), Water, Stabiliser: Guar Gum

I know guar gum is ok but not sure what "stabiliser" is?

• 11 months later...

Hi all I'm from the UK too and get my coconut milk from the International Stores (not sure whether these are just local to me or not but they stock lots of Asian and Indian spices and veg).  The brand I get is called Top-Op and the ingredients are listed as just coconut milk and water.  I've tried lots of different brands and this is the nicest tasting one with the best, creamy consistency and it's generally cheaper than the supermarkets.

So we can eat Nak'd bars? I haven't had these for ages but I love them. Used to buy the selection box online :) *runs off to google nak'd bars*

Hi Sharyn,

I don't believe Nak'd bars are whole30 compliant. I think the focus is on whole foods without any processing. Better to have the nuts and dried fruit themselves than processed into a bar. 

Just waiting for a second opinion!

Karyna

Hi Sharyn,

I don't believe Nak'd bars are whole30 compliant. I think the focus is on whole foods without any processing. Better to have the nuts and dried fruit themselves than processed into a bar. 

Just waiting for a second opinion!

Karyna

I think you may be right Karyna. I got as far as their website and thought 'hang on a mo, this ain;t right!!' and I decided against them. 

*feeling virtuous* 

Sharyn :)

Hi all I'm a newbie from the UK.

This is my first visit to the forum and I am planning on starting Whole 30 in a week, after a birthday trip to Helsinki next weekend. I was recommended this plan by Sharyn from Exeter.

Wish I'd realised that Blue Dragon coconut milk isn't Whole30 friendly before I sucummbed to buying 3 tins for £3 ( it's usually £1.99 a tin) Will try & source some of the recommended ones.

Ruthie

Archived