Day 8: Help! Motivation...going...going...gone

In desperate need of some motivation! First day of week 2 and instead of feeling energetic and happy and motivated and glowing like I did all throughout the first week I'm feeling my energy sinking. I'm still craving paleo sweets big time! I'm not interested in devouring a block of chocolate (like I would do before I started Whole30) but I could really go for a piece of dairy-free gluten-free refined sugar free sweet of any sort! So that's kind of a step up? I know its not hard to keep going. I just re-read the section about what's actually hard in life and eating well is NOT hard. Which is true. But it isn't easy. I'm so over having Vegetables every. Single. Meal. I also should probably start again. Hopped on the scales and measured myself this morning (which showed incredible results!!) But I know that's not OK. And I should start over. But the thought of starting over is making me feel like I've failed. (Surely other people hop on the scales or measure during but just don't tell anyone?) And I've been 100% food compliment... Argh. I know this post is a pity-fest. Sorry! I just want my motivation and energy back and the thought that I've failed by hopping on the scales and need to start back at square1 is making me think what's the point.

First off stepping on the scales is not okay because the results you see are not, and will not be, linear.

Secondly you need to focus on why you started your Whole30 in the first place, and think of any NSV's you may have already noticed - like better sleep for instance? Clearer skin...?

As for your energy, you say you are eating 100% compliant, but how are you composing your meals? The fact that you are craving any type of sweet is telling me you may well be feeding your sugar dragon with fruit/dried fruit & nuts, or that you may not be including enough protein & fat in your meals.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake (indicating portion sizes), along with sleep/stress/activity levels we can take a look and see if we can't help you improve things, which may well motivate you to continue...

Are you drinking at least a half ounce of water per pound of body weight daily? Are you salting your food?

"Surely other people hop on the scales or measure during but just don't tell anyone?) And I've been 100% food compliment... Argh. I know this post is a pity-fest. Sorry! I just want my motivation and energy back and the thought that I've failed by hopping on the scales and need to start back at square1 is making me think what's the point."

Okay....are you sitting down?  Take a big deep breath and get ready for what Dallas says.. 

Dallas @ Whole9 says

October 20, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Yeah, I was referring to the Whole30 comments. There are 1300+ of them, but we’ve responded to this question from others many, many times. To put it bluntly: we don’t care if you lean out on your Whole30. That’s not the goal. We want you to THINK differently about food, and make consistently good choices about food, and at some point down the road, your lean-ness will come along, naturally and sustainably.

But if you chase weight loss, you WILL fail long-term. Why do you think there are sooooooooo many “diets” out there? This is not a “diet”. It’s a way to eat… forever. Our Success Guide will be out tomorrow, and the new version of the Whole30 (three point oh) will be out on Sunday. I’m sorry that I’m sidestepping your questions, but your questions tell me you need to review the whole point of the program. I recommend reviewing the entire Whole30 post and comments. Best,

Dallas

Breakfast: 2 egg omlette with courgette, capsicum, mushrooms and spinach with a sprinkle of hand harvested Celtic sea salt (the sea salt is from my naturopath which I have to use to help with my Severe Adrenal Fatigue recovery)

Lunch: salmon (equivalent to about 1.5 portions) with kumara and spinach

Dinner: steak with lettuce, mushrooms and broccoli

Breakfast: potato, spinach, mushrooms and 2 eggs sprinkle of the sea salt

Lunch: salmon with kumara and spinach

Dinner: zoodles with mince, mushrooms, capsicum and more courgette.

Everything is cooked in coconut oil. I've been told I should maybe add avocado in but the thought of adding in more healthy fats makes me feel nauseous... Hope that helps?

I started the whole30 for the health benefits and its definitely helping! So very annoyed at myself that I did hop on the scale. Before weighing myself last week for my beggining Whole30 stats I hadn't hopped on a scale or taken my measurements in months upon months which is why I think I'm so annoyed at myself...

I've been here awhile.  I don't have scales in my house.  That digital scales wasn't worth a hoot anyway. After 15 months of weight releasing...I try my darnest not to even mention weight releasing.  It's not the point of a Whole 30.  Weight loss is not to be the apex moment at the end of 30 days.   Your overall health and well being is number one.

My weight releasing is a positive side effect and has aided me in ridding myself of T2 Diabetes.

I am not dieting.  I no longer had any use for diabetes.

Understood and appreciated that it may be difficult in the first few weeks.  As the days roll by, you will find it's not the most important side effect of a Whole 30.   In 15 months,  I can count on less than one hand...the number of times I've mentioned weight releasing. The only scales I see are at the doctor's office.  I don't have to see them much anymore.

I didn't take any before photos and don't plan on any afters.  All I want is weight stability for the rest of my life.  Photos never helped me.  The Whole 30 did. 

Keep going and refuse the mind warp that those scales keep trying to lay on your doorstep.

Your breakfasts are very light in protein - a serving of eggs when they are your only source should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is generally 3-4 for most females. Many people find they stay better satiated though if they mix up their protein sources, so maybe try eggs & ground beef for instance. A good breakfast sets you up for the day & if you start with a poor one you spend the rest of the day playing catch-up. Do this daily & the effect is cumulative.

I'm not a medical expert, but my understanding of severe adrenal fatigue is that your cortisol levels do not curve throughout the day as they do for other folk so you need to encourage the blood sugars to spike a little with starches (unlike stage 1 & 2 AF) - I see only one serving of potatoes here so you might want to include a fist sized serving of starchy veg daily as is the recommendation.

Your meals look low in fat too - the oil you use for cooking is neglible - add another source, be it home made mayo, compliant bacon, or some olives... the fat will give you the energy you are lacking.

And salt everything - it will really help.

I've been here awhile.  I don't have scales in my house.  That digital scales wasn't worth a hoot anyway. After 15 months of weight releasing...I try my darnest not to even mention weight releasing.  It's not the point of a Whole 30.  Weight loss is not to be the apex moment at the end of 30 days.   Your overall health and well being is number one.

My weight releasing is a positive side effect and has aided me in ridding myself of T2 Diabetes.

I am not dieting.  I no longer had any use for diabetes.

Understood and appreciated that it may be difficult in the first few weeks.  As the days roll by, you will find it's not the most important side effect of a Whole 30.   In 15 months,  I can count on less than one hand...the number of times I've mentioned weight releasing. The only scales I see are at the doctor's office.  I don't have to see them much anymore.

I didn't take any before photos and don't plan on any afters.  All I want is weight stability for the rest of my life.  Photos never helped me.  The Whole 30 did. 

Keep going and refuse the mind warp that those scales keep trying to lay on your doorstep.

Beautifully said!

Archived