Joining in!! Start date 8/24

ajburg

I'm struggling with the program right now. I feel like of the 19 days I've been on this W30, I've spent more days than not feeling uncomfortable - alternating with being bloated, constipated, exhausted. It just stinks when I look at my logs and overall feel worse than I did before starting (I was dairy and gluten free before, veg and protein at every meal, good fat often but not necessarily at each meal). Not to mention I've been rather obsessive about doing the program and feel like it's bringing out the worst in me mentally. It was easier for me to put up with discomfort early on when some adjustment was expected, and might be different if I was noticing more benefits or tiger blood by now (when the timeline says that should be happening).

The positive - I have not gone this long without sugar in I don't know, forever? So that is awesome and I'm super proud of that. 

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way.

Do you have a food log we could take a look at to make sure you're on the right track? Sometimes it's not so much about eating compliant foods, but also the composition & timing of your meals... 

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some GI issues. Nuts most likely. There have been enough times where the cause and effect are clear. Problem is, I LOVE them! Raw cashews on tuna salad, home toasted almonds on salads. I have only had nuts 3 times in the past 18 days. I guess a good system clean out is helpful every once in a while :)

Pre-W30, I would drink a whole pot of coffee each morning. Down to the pot saying 6 cups. No milk!

Time to go cook and eat my breakfast - eggs, bacon (compliant! No sugar), salsa, avocado, and some leftover veggies.

Stop for a moment today and remember those who are no longer with us. Also remember how we came together as a nation and for a short while, helped each other and talked to our neighbors.

Sure, the last couple of days - 

M1: Spinach, Onions, Egg Frittata with cup of roasted veggie soup (coconut milk in the soup)

M2: Grilled Salmon, Sweet Potato, Green Beans drizzled with olive oil, and coconut flakes

Mini meal - raw bell peppers and carrots with guac and a hard boiled egg

M3: Ground Beef and Spaghetti Squash, Asparagus and Mushrooms, coconut butter

M1: Same Frittata with side of butternut squash and avocado

M2: Big salad with romaine, radishes, green onions, fresh salsa and tomatoes, carnitas and avocado

M3: Spiced Tilapia, baked sweet potato, roasted broccoli, handful strawberries and coconut flakes

Today is my birthday, and someone at work gave me fancy macaroons.  I'll put them in the freezer and hopefully they'll keep okay until after my Whole30 is over.  My sisters are bummed we're not having cake at my birthday dinner tomorrow, but I told them we could have cake in October instead.  My mom will make a compliant meal, so that's taken care of.

I have some GI issues. Nuts most likely. There have been enough times where the cause and effect are clear. Problem is, I LOVE them! Raw cashews on tuna salad, home toasted almonds on salads. I have only had nuts 3 times in the past 18 days. I guess a good system clean out is helpful every once in a while :)

Pre-W30, I would drink a whole pot of coffee each morning. Down to the pot saying 6 cups. No milk!

Time to go cook and eat my breakfast - eggs, bacon (compliant! No sugar), salsa, avocado, and some leftover veggies.

Stop for a moment today and remember those who are no longer with us. Also remember how we came together as a nation and for a short while, helped each other and talked to our neighbors.

Thanks czaja, taking the day to reflect on just those things. It's sad that it takes a crisis like 14 years ago to bring people together.

I have the same issues with some nuts. I always buy them raw and lightly toast them myself. Almonds, walnuts and cashews, even pinenuts. Cashews are the worst as far as GI issues so I keep those to a minimum. 

Sure, the last couple of days - 

M1: Spinach, Onions, Egg Frittata with cup of roasted veggie soup (coconut milk in the soup)

M2: Grilled Salmon, Sweet Potato, Green Beans drizzled with olive oil, and coconut flakes

Mini meal - raw bell peppers and carrots with guac and a hard boiled egg

M3: Ground Beef and Spaghetti Squash, Asparagus and Mushrooms, coconut butter

M1: Same Frittata with side of butternut squash and avocado

M2: Big salad with romaine, radishes, green onions, fresh salsa and tomatoes, carnitas and avocado

M3: Spiced Tilapia, baked sweet potato, roasted broccoli, handful strawberries and coconut flakes

You might try dropping the raw veggies and cruciferous veggies and see if that helps alleviate your bloat.  Switch to all cooked veggies instead. 

I felt tiger blood this morning, wow what a burst of energy!  I got my work done today really quickly. I am sorry for those that have felt poorly, I can't imagine.  I have felt so good and am losing weight like crazy.  I don't know how much, obviously, but I am fitting into clothes I haven't been able to wear in over a year.  Stick with it, the good days are coming!  I admire you for your resilience and perseverance.  You can do this!! 

Good Morning and Happy Day 19!!!!

Tiger blood seems to have some ups and downs for me....but it's more ups than downs.  My body is still adapting i'm sure.  Feeling pretty good.  I was bad and stepped on the scale this morning.....I shouldn't have, it's not about the number.  So of course I feel bad about that, because I wanted to have lost more than I did, but in reality it doesn't matter.  I need to focus on how great I feel, how my knees don't hurt, how my ankles are stronger and how I was able to walk down stairs without much pain.  My skin is clearer, my hair is healthier, my clothes fit better, and on and on and on....  These are the important things!

Time to rock the rest of this whole 30!

I need to figure out a few new recipes, food boredom is setting in.  I do want to try the Shepard's pie, but it has been so darn hot i am not turning on the oven.  Grilled meats and pressure cooker have been the go to for the last week or so and it's getting boring.  focus...refocus!

Day 20 kids, two thirds of the way there. Tiger Blood is in full force and I feel like a 35 year old. I haven't felt this good getting up in the morning since I was in basic training 44 years ago. I hope that everybody is going to be getting this feeling soon, cause it is awesome. 2 people at work yesterday made comments about my "different" look. My modest middle age gut is almost completely gone. I never thought I would see a pair of 38 pants ever again, but here I am.

I had to modify my intake of raw cabbage and cruciferous greens do to the past bloating issues. Took 4 days off of raw and bloat completely disappeared.

Enjoy the weekend 

I may introduce beans on day 31.  At this point, I forget why we even had to eliminate them.  Anyone remember? 

Hopefully beans won't impact anything, and then I'll keep compliant except for beans.  I'd like another source of protein.  Hummus would be good too- my Arab blood has missed it.

I may introduce beans on day 31.  At this point, I forget why we even had to eliminate them.  Anyone remember? 

Hopefully beans won't impact anything, and then I'll keep compliant except for beans.  I'd like another source of protein.  Hummus would be good too- my Arab blood has missed it.

This might help with the why: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-legume-manifesto/

Well 10 days to go!  Honestly, I like cutting the junk (sweets and snacks) but otherwise, not sure.  Prior to W30, I was still very nutrition focused and health focused.  I'm 51 and slim and relatively fit.  My friends all know that I would much rather get together for something active than a meal and I am always preaching "good, healthy" food.  My energy was always high.  As a matter of fact, I had to make an effort to stop.  It's the not stopping that would get me into trouble.

Anyway, due to a life-long history of belly bloat and my recent increase in bad food choices, when I fell upon Melissa's book I was intrigued and really liked her style of communication.  It sounded like a great idea and a great way to identify what was behind my son's digestive and skin issues too.

Well, initially my belly bloat went away and it was awesome.  For that alone, I look forward to the reintro to identify what exactly caused it and STAY AWAY from it for good.  However, last night it came back.  I'm aggravated but not too worried.  I will figure out what food casued it and leave it out. That said, the belly thing was all I had as NSV so I'm feeling a bit bummed at the moment.  My dinner was meatballs, sauce, steam broccoli and unsweet brewed decaf iced tea.  Today, I had leftovers for lunch including tea but without the broccoli as I thought that was the culprit.  Bloat is back.  Big time!  I feel pregnant.

I am also dying to get on the scale!  I feel certain I have gained weight.  My clothes fit the same but they are all comfy anyway.  I am too afraid to try on my night out jeans.  :huh:

As for my son, W30 did identify for us that his issue, or one of them, is FODMOPS specifically polyols.  So that's great news.  At least we know now and can avoid.  As for his moods and quick temper.... great at first and now coming back so maybe it had nothing to do with food.

Oh and the energy thing.  I had more energy before W30 so that's troublesome too.  I am not hungry between meals.  I am not starving when I wake up.  My energy is ok, just not hyper speed I am used to.

Ho hum.  I want to feel svelte and speedy.    :D

lmc

LMC I feel your pain! 51, tall, and only carrying a few extra pounds. The only thing I really had to change about my meals that I miss was NO beer. I have never really liked bread, sweets, or sugar. My pants are fitting better and my energy level was always high.

I teach adults, so the A GAME is needed every day. Fake it till you make it is my motto.

We will each find something different from the journey. Maybe a better appreciation of what you brought to the W30 will be your NSV. We are so quick to dismiss and not praise our good parts.

lmc-Sorry to hear of your travails with W30. Hopefully re-intro will be enlightening for you.

In the beginning I didn't think this would have much effect on me since I was doing most of this plan before, but it has been such a positive experience so far, I think I will continue this long past the original 30 days. It has changed my relationship with alcohol, fermented dairy and nuts, which became my gotos when I stopped eating gluten. I also don't have any problem now with unsweetened tea and non dairies coffee. I think we all have learned a lot in 20 days.

I love coming back to this thread and reading all the encouraging results.  I lucked out with my start date, I did not even know this thread existed until someone pointed me this about a week in.  Thanks for always giving me that boost of motivation when I need it, team!

I made homefries with eggs on top for breakfast, so good.  I am going to a sports bar to watch football today and found multiple meals that I can eat, so excited!

Sorry I have not posted in a couple of days, did not have my laptop. 

This journey has not been as hard as I thought it would be to "give up" things ( sugar and milk).  Fact is I do not miss either of them.  I used to drink 3 cups of hot tea and milk every morning ( more on Sundays) and now it is 2 at the most with Ghee - and that is the only caffeine I have in a day.  My cravings are gone, I find on stressful days I still would like a snack. 

One of the BIGGEST takeaways from this is the pain from my ankle tendon repair surgery and swelling has reduced!  I have learned how to cook again and enjoy it.  I  am going to try to stay on the plan if I can until Thanksgiving.  I have way more energy than I used too, I would love to weigh, I am also not sure how much weight I loss, vs a few inches.  My face is so clear looking except the hives I am having on my chest and elbow. 

The hives started a few weeks before I started Whole 30 and have now really flared up.  I do not know what is causing it - I may go be tested and see if it has something to do with olives.  This past week I started limiting my intake of olive oil and olives, but it is still flaring up. 

I am going to make cauliflower rice this evening - I have always wanted to do this but have never followed thru - so today is the day!

One NSV for me today: I looked in the mirror and realized that this time last month, I was breaking out like crazy, especially on my chin.  Today?  Smooth skin.  My complexion isn't perfect, but it's definitely better than last month!  I'm pretty happy about that.

Now I am getting ready to head to the grocery store, then do a bunch of cooking.  Due to unexpected work stuff, I haven't had time to try different recipes, but at least today I have the time to try and make something new, so I'm going to take advantage.

Hi all: I have to admit that I have tiger blood envy but that said, I am feeling ok on this go-around with the plan. Just spent a weekend away with old friends and they were gracious enough to mostly W30 with me. They are both excellent cooks so I was able to stick to KP duty while they cooked- very luxurious for me.

I am going on vacation at the end of this program (hence the timing) and don't plan to stick with it beyond the 30 days. But love the idea of being mostly W30 post- trip. This really is a sensible food plan and works well for me.

Happy final week, everyone!

Are any if you going past 30 days?

I will probably go past 30 days.  I might have a nonW30 item or two if I am not able to avoid  while at a conference, etc.  (One coming up soon.)  My issues haven't been health related but more about my relationship with food - bad habits.  No-brakes.  So according to the Daily Emails that may take a bit longer.  I'm open to 60 or 90.

Archived