Day 1 and feeling dead tired

squogg

Just finished dinner on my first day of Whole30 and have to say that I'm loving the food, but am seriously lacking any energy. I'm one of those people that had an energy drink almost everyday and then some caffeine boost later in the day.

One of my biggest reasons for getting on this program is to help with my sleep and energy. I'm sick of relying on caffeinated drinks and not getting enough sleep at night. My hope is to regulate my sleep and work towards obtaining natural energy.

I went completely caffeine-free but am rethinking that decision after today. I was dead on my feet from 2pm on. I'm still dog-tired after having a nap today. I need a little boost while I help my body get used to not having that sugary jolt each day.

Any recommendations on W30 approved energy-type drinks?

Coffee is 100% out. I gave it up years ago and really don't like the taste of it black.

If you gave up energy liquid crack drinks AND sugar, you're in for a serious adaptation... I have the weak feeling from no sugar on day 19, but it's getting better... It's not recommended to snack on fruit like raisins or blueberries, but you might not have a choice until the energy drink part is behind you... Maybe someone else has the energy drink answer for you

Drink lots of water: we recommend 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Your body will take a bit of time to progress through the caffeine/sugar withdrawal. Hang in there and continue to eat nutrient-dense meals of protein, veg and fat.

haha Energy liquid crack drinks is right! I've quit them before, but always find an excuse to get back on them after a while. It's obvious I had too much sugar and caffeine in my diet since I'm already at the cranky head-achy stage and it's only day 1! *sigh*

I'm really good about drinking water and already consume the suggested water intake. Thankfully I have that going for me :)

I appreciate the suggestions Mitch & Chris. 

Squogg, when I gave up sugar cold turkey I got so sick that I went to my doctor, thinking I had the flu. My whole body hurt. He asked me if I had been doing anything differently and when I told him I had given up sugar four days before he knew exactly what was wrong. He told me that sugar withdrawals are even worse than nicotine for some people. I felt bad for just a couple more days and it finally got much better. Don't give in, because it'll get better and you'll be glad you held out.

I do believe that the more your gut/body was out of whack and reliant on sugar/caffeine, the longer it will take to bust out of the fatigue and fog.  I was pretty bad myself with this...I'm on Day 6 and starting to see improvement, but boy was I tired for those first few days!  Stick with it!

• Administrators

Be really nice to yourself.  Like really, super duper extra nice.  Make herbal tea or some fruit infused water.  Go to bed early, take gentle walks, long hot baths, read a book, take a nap.  Take Tylenol or Advil if you need it (please don't force yourself to suffer with severe headaches) Be completely aware that you are going through a pretty intense withdrawal and even though they are "benign" substances that are perfectly legal and which are everywhere, the addiction to them is very real and the withdrawal can be very, very hard.

The very fact that your withdrawal started so soon and is so difficult is a major, major sign that you are doing the right thing, you have got to get off of these engineered substances.  You can do this!!!!!!!!

I kept my coffee in the mornings when I started Whole30 (20 days ago!), BUT I STILL had a raging headache and crushing fatigue for 4 days straight (beginning afternoon of Day 1). It. Was. Horrible. That sugar withdrawal is a serious thing. Got better by Day 5. Now I feel great!

Agree with others who said "be kind to yourself." Thankfully, I work from home. So I just lay down in bed at about 3 or 4 pm each day - roused myself for dinner - and then went to bed by 8.  And thankfully, I have an understanding husband and teen children!

Thanks everyone. I've always hated admitting addiction to anything, but here it is... I'm addicted to caffeine and sugar. *sigh*

I'm still staying strong, and the headaches are getting less intense, but are definitely still there. I had warned myself to cool it on the caffeine before I started, but ignored my better judgement. Lesson officially learned! 

Thank you ladyshanny for the advice on being kind to myself. I have a pretty bad track record with that, but realize it is quite important for self-healing. It's been a bit difficult to allow myself to relax right now since I've been working a lot of overtime and am trying to get the food prep and planning down. I know this will get easier with time and I need to practice patience. It sure is a lot of work! But then again, nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.

• Administrators

Thanks everyone. I've always hated admitting addiction to anything, but here it is... I'm addicted to caffeine and sugar. *sigh*

I'm still staying strong, and the headaches are getting less intense, but are definitely still there. I had warned myself to cool it on the caffeine before I started, but ignored my better judgement. Lesson officially learned! 

Thank you ladyshanny for the advice on being kind to myself. I have a pretty bad track record with that, but realize it is quite important for self-healing. It's been a bit difficult to allow myself to relax right now since I've been working a lot of overtime and am trying to get the food prep and planning down. I know this will get easier with time and I need to practice patience. It sure is a lot of work! But then again, nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.

You're three days into the process, that's GREAT!!!!!!  The withdrawal and symptoms don't last indefinitely, I'd say you're at least halfway to feeling much better if not closer!  You've got this, squogg!!!!!!!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I just saw this thread. I just started this Whole30 and I'm on day 1. I have had a crazy migraine for the past few hours. Today was the first day I did not start with my day with my 6:30 am pre-workout energy drink, followed by many coffees. I have had no caffeine instead, and I was at first even reluctant to admit the headache *might* have something to do with abstaining from caffeine today.

I just saw this thread. I just started this Whole30 and I'm on day 1. I have had a crazy migraine for the past few hours. Today was the first day I did not start with my day with my 6:30 am pre-workout energy drink, followed by many coffees. I have had no caffeine instead, and I was at first even reluctant to admit the headache *might* have something to do with abstaining from caffeine today.

Be sure to stay hydrated - aim for at least a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily. This too shall pass!

I definitely experienced the sugar crash/withdrawal. I still drink one small cup off black coffee on most mornings but I don't require multiple cups. I add ground cinnamon to the coffee. I also like Americanos. On Day 2 I totally crashed and couldn't see straight around 3pm while I was at work. I drank some green tea when I got home and took Aleve. I know NSAIDS can be harsh but when I start getting headaches, I usually end up vomiting. I felt much better then following day. My caffeine intake is MUCH less than prior to my 8/3 start date. Day 27 now and I feel amazing. Keep it up.

Archived