Sugar in... GARLIC?!

midwestgirl80

Not sure if this is the right place for this post… really just needed a vent more than anything! I'm on Day 4 and have been feeling great. A little light-headed the first two days, but nothing terrible. I've been able to go for an hour long power walk each day, which I had not expected to have the energy to do. I've been reading labels religiously and now have a bucket of banned substances from my pantry put away. But I've must have missed one…

This morning I noticed I was almost out of my jarred chopped garlic, which I'd been using in nearly dish I've cooked for the last three days. So at lunch, I popped into the grocery store and picked up my usual brand. Even though I was confident I knew it was garlic and some vinegar to preserve it, I flipped it over and checked the label anyway… the second ingredient was SUGAR! I think my heart broke a little. Who puts sugar in garlic?! Honestly!

Lesson learned. I bought two heads of garlic instead and will go back to the old-fashioned way for the next 30 days!

Basically anything that's in a package has to be double checked as sugar makes an appearance in so many 'popular' products. My suprises were liquid stock, olives, mayonnaise, curry paste... the list goes on.

It took less time buying the whole food or making it myself than reading all of the labels!

Isn't that so frustrating? After my first Whole30- when I found out about the horrors of cane syrup and corn starch in lunch meat- I really dove headfirst into label reading and thought I was in the clear now with everything I ate. Until I casually looked at my jar of roasted red peppers and saw brown sugar!! And a jar of olives with GLUCOSE! It's insane. I was able to find another type of roasted red pepper with no additives (I'm hooked on them, and it's a big nuisance for me to roast them myself and they're nowhere near as good) and now make sure to triple check all labels. But everything is a lesson learned, right?

Tough to learn after you ate it. But a little victory when you figure out a compliant alternative. Its a permanent change you can make to get rid of a less healthy item and never worry about it again because now you know what to buy that is healthier!

Not sure if this is the right place for this post… really just needed a vent more than anything! I'm on Day 4 and have been feeling great. A little light-headed the first two days, but nothing terrible. I've been able to go for an hour long power walk each day, which I had not expected to have the energy to do. I've been reading labels religiously and now have a bucket of banned substances from my pantry put away. But I've must have missed one…

This morning I noticed I was almost out of my jarred chopped garlic, which I'd been using in nearly dish I've cooked for the last three days. So at lunch, I popped into the grocery store and picked up my usual brand. Even though I was confident I knew it was garlic and some vinegar to preserve it, I flipped it over and checked the label anyway… the second ingredient was SUGAR! I think my heart broke a little. Who puts sugar in garlic?! Honestly!

Lesson learned. I bought two heads of garlic instead and will go back to the old-fashioned way for the next 30 days!

I think you will find the fresh garlic to be so much better. I think it's the citric acid in jarred garlic that I just don't like at all. They have to use it to keep it from browning. Totally worth the extra trouble to use fresh to me.

I buy the garlic that's already peeled, so all I have to do is take the number of cloves I want out of the package and chop them. Not quite as convenient as the jarred kind, but easier than dealing with the heads of garlic and peeling them (which I hate doing).

Im right there with you Janine, I buy the fresh peeled cloves too. So much nicer and LESS MESSY. For some reason I feel that When i buy the whole bulbs and start pulling it apart it gets everywhere no matter how careful I'm trying to be. :-)

Archived