2nd Attempt - Day 5 - Feel SO HUGE

So this is my 2nd attempt at Whole30, last time I made it 13 days, then it was my birthday and while I tried my best, I fell off the wagon with beer, sushi, and a few bites of cheesecake. I took a break of about 2 weeks, still eating pretty Whole30ish but started back full force this Monday. Compared to my last go at this, my mood swings are non-existent, I didn't have much of a "hangover" and I have not felt the urge to kill anything, but I am SOOO bloated...Like I felt less bloated Saturday after eating a BurgerFi Cheeseburger and fries :wacko: I am on Day 5 and I don't understand why I do not physically feel better/lighter like I did last round. Day 5 and 6 of my 1st attempt my pants were already way looser and I was feeling 100 times better..this time I just feel fat and bloated and miserable. I have basically followed the same meal plan as my first attempt a month ago, fewer nuts this time...what am I doing wrong?

Day 1 - Breakfast: spinach frittata, grapes, 1/2 avocado; Lunch: spaghetti squash, tomato sauce/ground turkey; Snack: pistaccios (not the best, I know..) and grapes; Dinner - chicken caccitorie; Morning workout - Chalean Extreme

Day 2 - Breakfast: leftover spinach frittata, grapes, 1/2 avocado; Snack: Apple; Lunch: spinach, chicken, and 1/2 avocado salad with Oil and Vinegar; Snack: almonds; Dinner - lettuce wrapped burger with mustard and a lettuce/tomato/cucumber salad with red wine vinegar; Morning workout - Chalean Extreme (I was pretty hungry on this day)

Day 3 - Breakfast: leftover spinach frittata, grapes, 1/2 avocado; Lunch: leftover spaghetti squash, tomato sauce/ground turkey; Snack: grapes; Dinner - no dinner, no appetite, I guess  you could put my grape snack in place of dinner; Afternoon workout - Chalean Extreme

Day 4 - Breakfast: leftover spinach frittata, grapes, 1/2 avocado; Snack: Apple; Lunch: spinach, chicken, and 1/2 avocado salad with Oil and Vinegar; Snack: grapes; Dinner: breakfast casserole, grapes, okra (super weird combo...I know); Afternoon workout - Chalean Extreme

Day 5 - Breakfast: leftover breakfast casserole, grapes

I have drank at LEAST 3.72 Liters of water every day, if not more...I am so thankful that I'm not experiencing the mood swings I did on my first attempt but I am so confused and pretty bummed as to why I am STILL feeling so fat and bloated. HELP!

Okay there are a couple of flags here that could use your attention.

1)  You are not eating enough - the fact that you are needing to snack in between meals is telling me this.  So eat more.  More veggies.  1 - 2 palm sized portions of protein

2)  I see no pre and post work out snacks - hence why you are hungry.

3)  Nuts are not an ideal snack - I see them consumed fairly often.  They are excellent for contributing to gut discomfort.

4)  I am seeing a fair amount of FODMAP veggies / fruits.  If you are stressed and consuming too many of these - could be contributing to your bloating and discomfort.  For example: okra, avocado, apples, grapes and some squashes - can all contribute to bloating and discomfort. Especially when eaten at every meal.  Basically your stomach doesn't get a rest and therefore acts up.  You can consume these veggies with a couple of bites of a starchy one (starchies are easier on your stomach)

5) Do try to a least eat 1 fist sized starchy veggie a day - think: carrots, parsnips, beets, rutabaga, potatoes, yams, yucca, jicama, sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin - this may help with the bloating and gut discomfort. 

I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for your advice! I'll work on eliminating the FODMAPs and add starches. On my morning workouts, I usually wake up and jump right to it..I'm never hungry when I wake up and I'm usually not hungry after workouts either, but should I make myself have something small anyway? 

Yes.  It can be as small as a handful of olives or a boiled egg.  Basically you want to signal your body that you are up and about to do something.  Post work out it could be a couple of slices of chicken breast and a couple of bites of sweet potato.  Keep in mind that the pre and post workout meals are more for function - and less for enjoyment factors.

Archived