Hardly any change

GamiWolf

I'm on day 22 and other than not being as hungry, I've notice no other change.  I really didn't have any "complaints" to begin with (except at age 70 I can't seem to lose the weight I want), but my girl friend did the program and raves about it.  She's 71 and lost 13 pounds in 30 days.

I'm doing Weight Watchers while on this program so I am tracking everything I eat and staying within alloted points.  My pants aren't any loser and my stomach sticks out just as much.

Is this normal?

You identified your own problem - you are trying to combine WW and the W30 and counting points. You aren't eating enough. I know that sounds counter productive to what WW tells you - I am a lifetime member and was a leader.

If you follow the whole 30 template, you will have lots better results. Fat doesn't make you fat - processed junk, including fat free and low fat, does. You might want to post a few days of what you are eating, drinking,. sleeping and exercise so we can reallty help you more precisely.

I'm 74, by the way and loving this way of life with good results.

Honestly, forget about losing weight (for now) and forget about the results someone else is having. Your physiology is just that... yours. You will have your own results, partly based on where your body is coming from. The best thing you can do for yourself is to get your physiology in order. Hormones, habits, knowledge of what works for you.... you *will* see weight loss (on a different level & timing than someone else) but you'll mostly be setting yourself up for permanent good health, and then your body will be your ally in weight loss, and this won't be just another temporary fix.

Many members have come here from a WW background and have tried, and failed, to incorporate the WW point counting into their Whole30 - it just doesn't work, and the reason it doesn't work is because the points are unrealistic when we are eating fats at every meal, and the food is so nutritionally dense.

Restricting food in this way is counter productive. You've been allocated a number of points that has been calculated to allow you to lose weight, but by restricting your food intake your body panics, thinks there is a famine, and holds on to the fat stores in order to survive, and slows down the metabolism to burn fuel more 'efficiently' - in short it goes into survival mode.

If the WW way worked, why would there be a need for a lifetime membership?

We ask that you feed your body wholesome, nutritious food, three times a day - the first within an hour of wakening (which is crucial in balancing hormones), each of the meals 4-5hrs apart, and each built to the template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies (with 3 being optimum), and a good healthy portion of fat (1/2 an avocado, dollop of mayo, handful of olives, a good freely poured drizzle of an oil of your choosing etc etc).

Having restricted your food intake for some time it may take your body a while to trust that there will not be another food shortage coming up again soon, so you may find that your body stores what it can for a while (meaning a slight weight gain) until it realises the good food isn't stopping, then once it's in a good place, once it's healed & any inflammation has gone, then it will start to do what it needs to do & shed any excess weight, and THEN (& only then) you will start to see the magic...

Leave your WW baggage at the door, and make yourself comfortable in Whole30-ville - our focus here is on good overall health, and the benefits that come from loving our bodies.

Legacy Lifer Membership...ironic, isn't it.  Branded diets don't work.  Dieting for an entire lifetime will leave you high and dry, broke, busted and disgusted. 

Trying to combine a Whole 30 with a branded diet is like mixing water and oil.  

Keep the Protein and Fat.  STAT.   Throw all of the dieting out with the bathwater and watch it swirl down the drain.   Use all of your dieting books for coloring books.  Color in the margins and place them beside your phone to draw in.

You don't need to track food calories, pounds, micros and macros.   I say the real proof is in the goof.  If branded dieting actually worked, there would not be an almost 80-90% recidivism rate of rebound weight gain within one year's time.   The rate of rebound weight gain is so fast it will make you wish you'd never started in the first place.

Stop dieting.   Eat whole foods like you used to do when you were a child.   Remember when your mother was placing 3 meals on the table and you were so darned busy enjoying your life...you never worried about your weight or calories.   You were full of life and life was loving you back. That's a Whole 30.  Embrace it.

Archived