Breakfast Veggies

Wholesomemomma

I'm working on my meal plan for my second week and I would like to mix things up a bit. I realize I am struggling to break away from:

-sweet potato

-spinach

-avacado

-bell pepper

-tomato (isn't this a fruit??)

the last two are more because my children dont particularly like those especially cooked. Its a texture thing for them. I tried sauteing the spinach this morning and I love sauted spinach, but it was really hard for me to eat it first thing this morning. Lucklily the blue berry scrambled eggs offset the veggie tummy ache. I can't even get my kids to eat veggies for breakfast other than avacado, and I think this is because they have the same problem I do, not quite able to stomach the green veggies in the morning. Anyone have any good breakfast veggies I can use to mix it up, preferably something easy to digest. TIA!!

I'm working on my meal plan for my second week and I would like to mix things up a bit. I realize I am struggling to break away from:

-sweet potato

-spinach

-avacado

-bell pepper

-tomato (isn't this a fruit??)

the last two are more because my children dont particularly like those especially cooked. Its a texture thing for them. I tried sauteing the spinach this morning and I love sauted spinach, but it was really hard for me to eat it first thing this morning. Lucklily the blue berry scrambled eggs offset the veggie tummy ache. I can't even get my kids to eat veggies for breakfast other than avacado, and I think this is because they have the same problem I do, not quite able to stomach the green veggies in the morning. Anyone have any good breakfast veggies I can use to mix it up, preferably something easy to digest. TIA!!

On a Whole30, avocado is a fat and tomatoes are a vegetable.  :) 

Have you tried reviewing the seasonal produce guide for ideas?   Winter squash, especially, is coming into season now. Delicious cubed and roasted with your seasonings of choice and either olive oil, coconut oil or ghee.

• Moderators

Many people eat basically the same thing for breakfast every day. If you've found something you like, it's OK to stick with that for a while -- just get your variety in your other meals instead.

That said, for the spinach, I like to put my eggs in a blender with a couple of big handfuls of spinach and blend it until the spinach is all thoroughly blended/chopped up. Then I season and cook that mixture the way I would scrambled eggs. I have issues with the texture of sauteed spinach sometimes, especially first thing in the morning, and this helps with that. Depending on the age of your kids, you can also tie it in to the Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham book to get them on board with it.

I make a breakfast hash out of ground beef or turkey and put in broccoli slaw, shredded sweet potato or you could sub in any kind of squash for variety and add in some apple and a few nuts. You could serve this by itself or with some eggs. ShannonM816 is right, if you can chop up the veggies really small, like shredded or minced, then mix it with your protein, I think you'll have a winner.

• Moderators

I love shredded and fried rutabaga hash. Sometimes I do a mix of rutabaga, sweet potato and/or carrot, fried up with some onion, paprika, salt and plenty of coconut oil. Great mixed with ground meat and/or topped with eggs.  Any spices will work.

Zucchini is another nice, soft, easy to go down veggie first thing in the morning. Either just sauteed in a pan or in Melissa Joulwan's Silky Gingered Zucchini soup.

Archived