Review of Reintroduction Plan

tmgrasser

Hello! My husband and I are on Day 29 of our Whole30 and I'm trying to prepare some meal plans for the reintroduction. Does this look OK, or is there anything glaringly wrong with it?

Also, did anyone else have trouble having to make extra meals because they couldn't use leftovers from their reintro days? I've tried to keep it so the reintroduced food is NOT the main course but a side so I can take out the reintroduced foods and still have a leftover meal for the Whole30 days.

Another thing, we don't really drink alcohol except for a small glass on special occasions. Do we have to test it in our reintroduction, or can we just cross that bridge when we come to it?

Day 31 - Legumes

Breakfast: Black Bean Frittata (eggs, onions, spinach, black beans, garlic and spices)

Lunch: <Whole30 Lunch> and Apple Slices with Peanut Butter

Dinner: Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowls with Red Cabbage Slaw

Days 32 and 33

Whole30

Day 34 - Non-Gluten Containing Grains

Breakfast: Certified Gluten Free Oatmeal with blueberries

Lunch: Whole30 Chili with Corny Corn Bread Muffins (cornbread with creamed and whole kernel corn)

Dinner: Sushi Rolls (with rice, no soy sauce)

Days 35 and 36

Whole30

Day 37 - Dairy

Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs with Yogurt

Lunch: Whole30 Leftovers with Fruit and Cottage Cheese

Dinner: <Whole30 Dinner> with Ice Cream Dessert

Days 38 and 39

Whole30

Day 40 - Gluten-Containing Grains

Breakfast: 1/2 of an Everything Bagel Sandwich with Homemade Mayo or Clarified Butter, Egg, and Veggies (like a breakfast sandwich)

Lunch: <Whole30 Lunch> with Whole Wheat Saltine Crackers and Almond Butter

Dinner: Pesto Chicken and Peppers over Whole Wheat Pasta

Days 41 and 42

Whole30

Thanks!

Word of caution on the gluten items and the ice-cream, be sure they don't have other non-compliant items in them. Those items can all be challenging to get just the compound you want and not ones you don't. On the up side, they tend to store well so you can start your search and buy them any time and they'll be fine when you get to them. :)

I had to rearrange my re-intro plan and I have some oats sitting in my cupboard patiently waiting, outliving all of my meats and veggies. heh.

I don't see many vegetables. Basically, we continue eating the meal template with the additions we want to make. The only thing I'll be trying is cheese and yogurt. You could have eaten leftovers for breakfast or lunch the next day.

Thanks for your response! Actually, we eat vegetables with every meal. Although, I do have one breakfast listed with the oatmeal and no veggies. I will look into incorporating something with that. I always have a side of either red peppers or spinach with my scrambled eggs, even though I may not list it. The sushi has cucumbers, carrots, and green onions for vegetables. The chili has loads of onions and peppers, and it's made with the Whole30 homemade tomato sauce which also has onions, celery, and carrots in it (not to mention the tomatoes). But I can see that I wasn't very clear in my original post so it could be misunderstood!

I've tried eating leftovers for breakfast, but I'm not too much a fan. I rather enjoy having eggs in the morning. But I have tried it over leftover spaghetti squash and that was pretty yummy! We would leave stuff out if we wanted to, but my husband and I very much enjoy all different kinds of food and are excited to have them again in moderation after the reintroduction (depending on our reactions, of course!). Thanks again for your input!

Word of caution on the gluten items and the ice-cream, be sure they don't have other non-compliant items in them. Those items can all be challenging to get just the compound you want and not ones you don't. On the up side, they tend to store well so you can start your search and buy them any time and they'll be fine when you get to them. :)

I had to rearrange my re-intro plan and I have some oats sitting in my cupboard patiently waiting, outliving all of my meats and veggies. heh.

Good point, thanks! I will still be reading my labels. However, when we are reintroducing, do we still have to be super strict with the additives? I know in the Whole30 reintroduction plan, they mention added sugars are more than likely going to happen with the foods we reintroduce, so I wasn't super concerned about that (still going to try to keep them in moderation, though). But what other kinds of non-compliant items are you talking about? For ice cream, I was hoping for just straight up vanilla bean ice cream, nothing with like peanut butter or anything fancy.

We were originally wanting to streamline the reintro process even further by only allowing one day in between food groups, but I knew that would not give me accurate results and I want to just do this by the book as much as I can without making my husband wait TOO long to have the food he's been missing! ;-) That's why we're going with the 10 day (I see it as 12 days since we have to eat Whole30 for two more days after the last reintro) program instead of the longer, more drawn out one that's also mentioned in the Whole30 book.

That's why I wrote this post, because I want some more experienced people taking a look at it to help me get the most out of this plan!

Good point, thanks! I will still be reading my labels. However, when we are reintroducing, do we still have to be super strict with the additives? I know in the Whole30 reintroduction plan, they mention added sugars are more than likely going to happen with the foods we reintroduce, so I wasn't super concerned about that (still going to try to keep them in moderation, though). But what other kinds of non-compliant items are you talking about? For ice cream, I was hoping for just straight up vanilla bean ice cream, nothing with like peanut butter or anything fancy.

Some ice creams can contain soy or gluten, for example. Read the labels.

Some ice creams can contain soy or gluten, for example. Read the labels.

Oh, OK! Man, the things you don't realize until reading labels! That was the hardest part about starting the Whole30. I was never super reliant on canned/boxed foods, but there was sugar in just about everything I read! Or sulfites! Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely be paying extra attention.

Day 34 - Non-Gluten Containing Grains
Breakfast: Certified Gluten Free Oatmeal with blueberries
Lunch: Whole30 Chili with Corny Corn Bread Muffins (cornbread with creamed and whole kernel corn)
Dinner: Sushi Rolls (with rice, no soy sauce)

Thanks for posting this! I have been checking out re-intro plans so I can grab a few ideas for my own plan.

Question about the Corn Bread Muffins.... assume these are paleo-fied, with no dairy or flour or off-plan oils, etc? Do you have a recipe?

Thanks again.

Thanks for posting this! I have been checking out re-intro plans so I can grab a few ideas for my own plan.

Question about the Corn Bread Muffins.... assume these are paleo-fied, with no dairy or flour or off-plan oils, etc? Do you have a recipe?

Thanks again.

I scour sites for people's reintroduction plans all the time!!

I'm glad you asked about the recipe, because in all honesty I forgot cornbread (either homemade or boxed) has flour in it. Mine, specifically, also includes sour cream and milk. So I did some research this morning and decided I'm going to use this homemade cornbread recipe I like to make but half the recipe (since it makes a LOT and we can only eat it for one day) and make these changes:

1. Substitute coconut flour for the all-purpose flour

2. Substitute coconut milk for the regular milk

3. Substitute unsweetened applesauce for the sour cream, maybe add a dash of apple cider vinegar for the "tanginess" sour cream would have added

4. Omit the sugar completely (I always reduced the sugar regardless, but the subtle sweetness in the coconut and applesauce will be enough unless you personally want to add some honey...might be better to leave it out until it's baked then add it to taste)

5. Add a cup (or a bit more) of shredded zucchini

6. Add half a can of whole kernel corn

7. Add half a can of creamed corn

8. Then I'll check the consistency and see how much (if any) oil I think I need to add. I'll probably use a 1:1 ratio of extra light olive oil and coconut oil

This is just what I came up with so far from analyzing a few different recipes. Coconut flour has not been good to me in the past as it tends to crumble, so I'm trying to play it heavy with the wet ingredients. I prefer really moist cornbread anyway, so it will suit me.

I can reply to this post on Sunday, 10/4, after I make it and let you know how it turned out! Hopefully you won't need it before then!

If it fails, we'll probably just add corn to the chili itself!

Thanks again.

Oh, in addition to my previous reply, I found this recipe that's all cornmeal and no wheat. You could sub coconut milk for the dairy milk and substitute clarified butter or ghee for the butter! Then add all the fixin's you want!

Oh, OK! Man, the things you don't realize until reading labels! That was the hardest part about starting the Whole30. I was never super reliant on canned/boxed foods, but there was sugar in just about everything I read! Or sulfites! Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely be paying extra attention.

First day after my W30 ended, I had peanut butter.  Tasted it and thought... WOW this is the most delicious thing I've ever had.  A few hours later, I was dealing with a headache and a general feeling of brain fog.  When I got home, I read the label on the peanut butter. Sugar is the second ingredient. No wonder it was so good. 

When you do the W30 and you realize that food tastes great without added sugar, you realize that the sugar isn't there for you to taste, it's there to affect your brain, so that you come back for more.

:angry:

First day after my W30 ended, I had peanut butter.  Tasted it and thought... WOW this is the most delicious thing I've ever had.  A few hours later, I was dealing with a headache and a general feeling of brain fog.  When I got home, I read the label on the peanut butter. Sugar is the second ingredient. No wonder it was so good. 

When you do the W30 and you realize that food tastes great without added sugar, you realize that the sugar isn't there for you to taste, it's there to affect your brain, so that you come back for more.

Something similar happened to me! Although, I actually prefer the no-sugar-added all natural almond butter to peanut butter now, so that's been nice to have an alternative! But anytime I've had sugar in this reintroduction, it's just been tooooo sweet and leaves me with an unsatisfied feeling. I also get like a "tired-hyper", if that makes sense. I used to be a sugar-holic, and now I prefer foods without sugar! I'm glad I can be honest with myself and really evaluate how these foods make me feel and how they actually taste. If all I can taste is sugary syrup in my coffee, I stop drinking it now. I won't make that mistake again!

Thanks again.

Just wanted to check back in with you! I made the 100% Cornmeal Cornbread yesterday. I substituted coconut milk for the dairy milk and ghee for the butter. I omitted the honey and added about a cup of frozen whole kernel corn (washed off any ice crystals first). If you decide to follow this recipe, I recommend cutting down on the salt a bit. I think the cornmeal itself is a little salty tasting, so it was a little much for me. If you're fine tasting raw batter, I'd try it before adding the salt and see what you think. I didn't add creamed corn, but in retrospect I wish I would have. I know there is sugar in canned creamed corn, but I think it would have balanced out the bread better.

All in all, the bread was cakey, slightly crumbly and on the dry side, and was good when mixed in with my bowl of chili. Standing alone, it needed honey or something a little sweet, in my opinion. (And yes, I tried it with honey and it was good!)

I hope this helps if you are interested in giving it a whirl yourself! :-)

I fed a sugar fiend friend of mine some cashew butter the other day and he commented how it's "not sweet like peanut butter". I couldn't help laughing and pointing out that's because the peanut butter he buys is sweetened. Whole peanut butter wouldn't be sweet either.

But you know, he then proceeded to eat all of the cashew butter I had spooned out, so he liked it anyway. :)

Archived