Shingles...on Day 22?

Good morning,

I'm 23 and am on Day 1 of my post-Whole30. (My husband and I finished yesterday). I've had a rash on my back for over a week and had it confirmed by a doctor a few days ago that it is Shingles. I told her I was on a clean-eating diet, but she said stress can cause it.

I looked at it and, yeah, being on the Whole30 can be stressful trying to prepare meals and stay within the rules. I haven't slipped up (until I accidentally mindlessly ate corn tortilla chips...on Day 30 of all days!!) but have been stressed with work, taking a class, and not having many nights of >5 hours of sleep.

I have had SO many benefits on the program (I used to get headaches and an upset stomach daily and now almost never, and I used to come home from work needing a nap but now I have energy until bedtime!), which is why I thought my immune system had been healed and could fight off things a lot better. But I realize there are other factors of the Whole30 (like getting ample sleep and being diligent with exercising) that I didn't try hard enough to uphold.

I saw someone on here posted about getting shingles halfway through the program, but has anyone else had stress-related issues come up near the end of their Whole30? I think really I just don't want to be alone in this, haha.

• Administrators

I've had a rash on my back for over a week and had it confirmed by a doctor a few days ago that it is Shingles. I told her I was on a clean-eating diet, but she said stress can cause it.

have been stressed with work, taking a class, and not having many nights of >5 hours of sleep.

Methinks when you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras.  Reduce your stress and get more sleep.

Shingles hits you when your immunity is down for the count. I had it after surgery, it's not much fun :(

Humans need way more than 5 hours of sleep, coffee and other things may trick you into thinking you can make do with less, but it causes serious damage to the body. There are thousands of studies on shift workers and those who don't get enough sleep and none of them have good outcomes.

Be good to yourself, sleep more :)

Archived