Starting October 4, 2015. Ready for this

MoreEnergyPlease

Today was a great day for us! I can definitely see an uptick in my energy level and despite getting only 5 hours of sleep last night, I slept really hard and felt rested when I woke up. 

Last night I actually ended up making chili for dinner; I used a veggie chili recipe that I've made a bunch and added the cooked ground beef to it. It has butternut squash, zucchini, mushrooms, green beans, etc. Really good!

M1: hash with shredded sweet potatoes, shallots, purple pepper, baby bellas, chicken sausage topped with over easy eggs. Yum!

M2: leftover chili

M3: chicken with tessemae's Matty's BBQ sauce, smashed potatoes with melted ghee, and leftover carrot ginger soup.

I still have a little chili left so we're going to try in on the leftover smashed potatoes with eggs for breakfast! I'm already hungry thinking about it haha. C_Cezeaux you totally reminded me that I used to work at a restaurant that served a meal for breakfast that was cornbread topped with chili and poached eggs! So so good!

I can't believe tomorrow is Day 7 already! I'm really loving eating this way. I had a pretty large serving of chili for lunch today but found myself super hungry around 3:30. I decided to have a banana with a little sunflower seed butter and my belly blew up! It was so crazy! I haven't had ANY bloat all week so it was really staggering to see. Maybe hitting that second week intestinal weirdness a little early. 

Anybody got anything fun going on this weekend? My husband and I are going to see the Zombies (the band) tomorrow night which I am really looking forward to! :) Hope you all have a great weekend

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tip!  I agree. I need to really focus on building hearty healthy meals. I'm definitely determined to get through this

A bit of tough love: think about returning the Lara Bars. Having something desserty is not really in the spirit of a Whole30.

Further, Lara Bars are emergency food only on a Whole30. Meaning stuck in crazy traffic, extending your time between meals.

As you restart, I encourage you, as part of your prep, to focus instead on creating meals of protein, veg and fat that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

I'm definitely going to stay on and keep trying. I made it this far, and i'm going to restart and hopefully will get through the 30 days. I'm determined! 

I hope you will stay with us, we cover a few different start days already. :)  And, if you do set the Larabars back, think about going to look for the Epic bars.  They're a good meat/fat emergency food.  I would think they would be good as a PWO if I wasn't too cheap, lol.

Good Saturday Morning! Day 7! I sort of feel like this first week flew by! Let's hope the next 23 days go by just as fast.

I did something I never thought I would do...I topped leftover meatloaf with a fried egg for M1 today! Feels like I've made a switch in my food thinking.

M1 - Leftover Meatloaf topped with a fried egg and purple potato/zucchini hash

M2 - Chicken with homemade mayo on veggie loaded salad with apple and pecans

M3 - Roast chicken with root veggies and green salad

I'm taking my daughter to the movies today. I convinced her to let me make her popcorn at home. I buy organic kernels and pop it in coconut oil. I hope that doing this will mean I won't get hit by cravings since we won't need to wait in the concession line. I plan on bringing a larabar or nuts as backup.....

Have a great day everyone!

Today was a great day for us! I can definitely see an uptick in my energy level and despite getting only 5 hours of sleep last night, I slept really hard and felt rested when I woke up. 

Last night I actually ended up making chili for dinner; I used a veggie chili recipe that I've made a bunch and added the cooked ground beef to it. It has butternut squash, zucchini, mushrooms, green beans, etc. Really good!

M1: hash with shredded sweet potatoes, shallots, purple pepper, baby bellas, chicken sausage topped with over easy eggs. Yum!

M2: leftover chili

M3: chicken with tessemae's Matty's BBQ sauce, smashed potatoes with melted ghee, and leftover carrot ginger soup.

I still have a little chili left so we're going to try in on the leftover smashed potatoes with eggs for breakfast! I'm already hungry thinking about it haha. C_Cezeaux you totally reminded me that I used to work at a restaurant that served a meal for breakfast that was cornbread topped with chili and poached eggs! So so good!

I can't believe tomorrow is Day 7 already! I'm really loving eating this way. I had a pretty large serving of chili for lunch today but found myself super hungry around 3:30. I decided to have a banana with a little sunflower seed butter and my belly blew up! It was so crazy! I haven't had ANY bloat all week so it was really staggering to see. Maybe hitting that second week intestinal weirdness a little early. 

Anybody got anything fun going on this weekend? My husband and I are going to see the Zombies (the band) tomorrow night which I am really looking forward to! :) Hope you all have a great weekend

I tried something out of the norm for breakfast today as well! I actually really enjoyed it! Let me know how you like your chili for breakfast;)

I'm with you on feeling Day 7 already! It's really flying by! So, I had some tummy issues last night too. I don't know if I just ate too much at dinner, but I was pretty misearable afterward....maybe it is the intestinal distress showing up a little early.

Enjoy the concert! Sounds fun....my excitement consists of taking a 6 year old to see Hotel Transylvania 2;)

So....it's Friday.  Usually Friday brings great food joy because I look forward to rewarding myself for making it through a long hard week with anything I want to have.  Plus I don't have the strength or energy to cook on Friday.  Plus my son works at Chick-Fil-A and it's so much easier to grab a meal when I drop him off at work.  But there is no food joy today!  And I'll be better off for it in the long run!

And Michele....what time is dinner because your's sounds delish and my cupboards are empty... :blink: 

Happy Weekend everyone!

Ha! I hope you were able to make something materialize for your supper last night;) Although, what I cooked was good at the time, it didn't settle well with me, so maybe it's good you didn't come for dinner;) If I had a family member that worked at Chick-Fil-A.....I don't know what I would do. It's definitely a guilty pleasure.

I'm taking my daughter to the movies today. I convinced her to let me make her popcorn at home. I buy organic kernels and pop it in coconut oil. I hope that doing this will mean I won't get hit by cravings since we won't need to wait in the concession line. I plan on bringing a larabar or nuts as backup.....

If you have cravings, you are better off having protein and fat if you absolutely have to eat something. Cravings last about 15 minutes so if we can get our mind onto something else, they will go away.

If you have cravings, you are better off having protein and fat if you absolutely have to eat something. Cravings last about 15 minutes so if we can get our mind onto something else, they will go away.

Piggybacking on this post, to distinguish between a craving and hunger. If you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli, it's hunger. Our recommendation in this case is to have a mini-meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components.

If you don't pass the steamed fish and broccoli test, it's a craving. Do something non-food related instead.

Wow, good posts on here this morning!  :)  Glad to see everyone coming along and hanging in!  It's definitely a learning process and an adjustment to thinking to get into the lifestyle.  MoreEnergyPlease, I am glad you are staying and have your mind set, you can do it! We'll be here every step of the way. :)

PetunaMae, that breakfast sounds lovely.  If I could have cornbread, I would so dive into it. :D  On the bloating and intestinal distress, there's a good thread in the medical forum on it.  I had jumped on one day to look before I asked a question, and found that cruciferous veggies and NUTS are a large culprit in bloating.  I had been eating of each and had blown up like a balloon.  Needless to say, I no longer needed to ask that question, lol.  I had just discovered that roasted Brussels spouts recipe, too.  Perhaps 2 lbs of them was too many for 2 people to try and eat in a week...

We will be doing something this weekend as well.  Or at least half of it.  Tomorrow we are going to Sioux Falls armed with cameras.  Husband is teaching me the finer points of all those many settings on the camera he bought me while we were on a trip to Mt. Rushmore. :)

I appreciate the feedback! I guess I should have clarified that the Larabar or nuts is my emergency "snack" between M1 and M2....I don't think the folks at the movie theater would appreciate me bringing in a mini meal;) I'm learning to distinguish between a craving and actual hunger. I use the fish/broccoli test all the time! Comes in handy!

So great to see everyone on here today! Was wondering where you went MoreEnery. It certainly takes determination. I only embark on difficult things when I am truly determined!! Had a nice morning hitting some antique stores with the hubby. Then it was off to the store. Overspent my budget by $80 :( but I have plenty of proteins and veggies for the week. Doesn't help that the cost of eggs and butter are through the roof.

However, I was successful in making a batch of mayo.....yay me!! And with it I made Caesar salad dressing. Oh. My. Goodness. Had a lovely chicken Caesar salad for dinner. Yum yum.

Tomorrow will be lots of prep and planning for the week. I also found a recipe for a crock pot breakfast meatloaf made with ground pork.

Now to try not to harm my husband who is crunching on peanut M&Ms.

Had a good day today! Tried to make my meals bigger, to feel less hungry. Went to Trader Joe's and got a lot of salad mix, veggies, fruits, fish, and meats. Feeling full, no cravings or urges to snack. 

Tomorrow i will start prepping for easy meals to take to work. Going to look on pinterest for some good recipes!

The carb dense veggies will help keep you full longer as well.  I also think I stay more positive when I keep the sweet potatoes in my diet.  Maybe just because I like them so well, lol.

RobinF, during my first W30 I worked with a normally inoffensive woman that I wanted to murder on a daily basis during the first two weeks of the program.  Every afternoon she poured herself half a bowl of honey roast nuts or trail mix and proceeded to crunch her way through them for what seemed like forever.  It took major amounts of willpower and deep breathing to remain at my computer instead of committing violence upon her person. :D

Hi all, I am going to start following your thread.  I started mid-September and am technically in my finally days but I want to go longer so consider 10/4 my first new day.  I had licked my finger with white chocolate on them while baking for the kids and just had to stick with the rules!  I love checking in with the forum every day to help motivate myself & keep me from craving.

I was a major Larabar addict (Cashew to be exact) but I had severe stomach pains in my first week and realized it was the Larabar.  That and knowing it is only an emergency, I didn't buy any more and am glad I did.  I lift a lot of weights and try to workout every day.....that and driving kids all day long I sometimes find myself having to snack to get me to the next meal b/c I do get so hungry.  What has saved me are two items you can order from the Whole30 site.  My husband and I LOVE them.  I also had to get rid of the nuts!!

1.  http://grassfedjerkychews.com

2.  http://www.gochomps.com

On breakfast, I am in week four and still have traditional breakfast every. single. day.  But then again I do love eggs.  For me it's either a hash of sweet or white potato, chopped bell peppers, chopped onions.  Or I slice potato real thin and bake them and put egg & avocado on top.  I also have avocado every breakfast.  I still have such a hard time eating veggies for breakfast.  I live for Peterson's bacon (found at Sprouts Market but also on the Whole30 approved list).  I also like the homemade sausage in the Whole30 book.

Good luck everyone.  Sounds like you are doing great!

:-) Jill

Welcome JD! I'm with you on licking the fingers thing....havent done it yet but it's something that is usually unconsciously done. What's hard is cooking some meals separately for my family when I can't taste theirs to see if seasoning is right. Trying to modify some of my dishes to fit their palate as well.

So....this morning I have a chicken boiling on the stove. Yummy homemade stock. Breakfast meatloaf in the crock pot.....we'll see about this one. Going to make a spinach and mushroom frittata for breakfasts for this week. Tonight's dinner is chunky chicken corn chowder made with potatoes. Mine will be without the corn and thickening agent, of course.

C_C I have a serious aversion to hearing people chew....cant stand it! But so far, I have seemed to escape "kill all the things". Maybe it's because I've done something similar to whole 30 before.

Happy Sunday.....lets gear up for another successful week!!

Feeling little motivation today! Probably doesn't help that my 6 yo showed up in my bedroom with a beautifully, syrup filled waffle...which I turned down. So sad! Now I am going to go choke down eggs and salad. But I can do this!! Hope you all are having a good Sunday!

Question for you all: lunches seem to be the hardest for me. How do you ensure that your lunches are compliant and easy?

Feeling little motivation today! Probably doesn't help that my 6 yo showed up in my bedroom with a beautifully, syrup filled waffle...which I turned down. So sad! Now I am going to go choke down eggs and salad. But I can do this!! Hope you all are having a good Sunday!

Question for you all: lunches seem to be the hardest for me. How do you ensure that your lunches are compliant and easy?

Leftovers.

Other easy: egg, salmon, tuna or chicken salad made with homemade mayo, celery and whatever else you like. Microwaved sweet potato on the side, dolloped with mayo.

Week one is done! I had the same stomach issues last night as I did on Friday and I think the culprit is brussels sprouts:( I love them, but I need to lay off and see if that's it. I also think that coffee may be causing morning issues, so I'll be laying off that as well.

Today's meal are:

M1 - Zucchini, sweet potato, green apple and chicken sausage hash with a fried egg and strawberries.

M2 - Chicken thighs wrapped in butter lettuce topped with red onion and sunshine sauce with a side of rainbow carrots and cucumbers. (I'm already getting hungry, so I don't think I ate enough.)

M3 - Something with leftovers......

I need to do some weekly prep either tonight or tomorrow....Happy Sunday everyone!

Hello all!

I'm hoping to join you. I started my 2nd Whole30 on the 6th. I did the first in June and had an amazing experience. Felt great, lost 12 pounds and 14.5 inches on my body. No real issues transitioning back to other foods (except strangely enough a horrible reaction to quinoa).

This time hasn't been too rough of a start. The only issue I have had is itching and swelling of my lips/mouth. I think it is an oral allergy, from what I have been reading. Seems some people who have hayfever have issues with fruit at certain times of the year. I don't think it's a straight up fruit allergy as I had no issues the last time.

From what I have read it sounds like all of you are off to a great start!

WHEW I am exhausted today! I just feel like I could sleep sleep sleep. Gorgeous weather here in the northeast today but I can't seem to drag myself outside!

ColoradoGirl I like making soups for lunch- I usually make enough to last at least 2 lunches and then have them with a salad. I've been cooking extra on pretty much all our meals so I've always got some stuff already prepped and cooked to work with too. Last week I did butternut squash soup (which I make with shallots and an apple) and carrot ginger; today I made a red kuri squash soup.

Yesterday's meals:

M1: leftover smashed potatoes topped with chili, pork sausage and over easy eggs

M2: Cobb salad with Tessemae's ranch dressing

M3: burgers on portobello 'buns' with roasted butternut squash and mixed roasted potatoes (sweet/red/white/purple) and some green beans

Today so far:

M1: made hash with the leftover potatoes and squash, onion, portobello, and pork sausage topped with over easies- SO GOOD!

M2: red kuri squash soup made with lemongrass-infused coconut milk and curry powder, sort of a Cobb salad (no chicken)

M3 is supposed to be the carnitas recipe from the whole30 book but I forgot to thaw the meat. Oops. Going to have to send the mister to the store...

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I can't remember the last date my husband and I went on... Valentine's Day maybe? It was so good to get out last night! We didn't get to bed until midnight though and our daughter wakes up around 6:15. Yawn! Worth it though!

Hope you all are having a great weekend so far!

Hello all,

I started my first Whole30 on October 5th, so I am on day 7! I posted this in another October thread, but I figured this was closer to my start date.

So far I haven't really experienced any of the "detox" symptoms or much "kill all of the things" and the process seems easier than I expected. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong. I am a bit more tired than usual, I guess, but my husband, who is not doing it, says he feels the same. It could be this up and down weather we've been having...

I am enjoying a variety of meals and using my Whole30 book a lot. I've also fought off birthday treats in our teacher's lounge and giant Potbelly cookies at our institute day. (That was about the only time I experienced "anger", I just wanted a freakin cookie!) I am always looking for new recipes and tips!

Best to all! 

Welcome wisdom & Jamie! Coloradogirl.......leftovers for sure! I couldn't do this without having dinner leftovers for lunch. And salads. Looking forward to making chicken salad this week, too.

Speaking of leftovers....I made my chicken corn chowder for dinner. I took out 3 portions for myself before I added the corn and thickening agent. My wonderful son filled his bowl with MINE!! There go the leftovers LOL. At least I'll get one small bowl for tomorrow's lunch.

Petunia your meals look gourmet!

7 days down and tomorrows Monday :)

haha thanks Robin! I feel like I live in the kitchen these days! I can't complain though, I've really grown to love cooking over the last few years. That is such a bummer about your chowder!!! 

That said… due to the frozen pork mishap, we got a rotisserie chicken tonight and had mashed potatoes and roasted carrots -super easy and quick with minimal cleanup! The lunch cleanup was a little bit ridiculous today… I was burnt out haha!

I have to say one thing I'm noticing with cooking is that I'm really not missing a lot of the things I would habitually add to my food. I've really noticed it with the mashed potatoes! I would normally add milk and butter, salt and pepper, sometimes some sautéed shallots. This week I've just been salting the boiling water and they're so good! I've been adding some melted ghee after serving for the extra fat but it really doesn't need it for taste. i put coconut milk in the squash soup I made today, but the other blended veggie soups I've made this week I've just used water or chicken stock and they've been really good! Make me think about all of the things i add to our food unnecessarily. 

Ready for week 2! We've got this!

Had a lovely day today! No scheduled exercise as it's Sunday, but we hit three state parks in SD and went climbing over rocks and up trails while husband is teaching me the finer points of all those settings on my new camera. :)  I put in some miles today, lol.  Had no problem travelling, had a compliant snack with just in case and got a completely compliant meal at a Lone Star Steak House for dinner.

My easiest lunches were when I took leftover meats and veg (or made them up ahead of time) and made the protein salad.  By the time it sits for awhile and all the flavors mesh with each other, they are great.  I think my favorite is the one I was calling harvest chicken salad.  Just diced chicken, diced sweet potato, red pepper, mushroom, and a little chopped onion with home made mayo and a few chopped pecans or hazelnuts.  I made it with mashed avocado as a base when I ran out of mayo, that was pretty good also.

Archived