Starting October 4, 2015. Ready for this

MoreEnergyPlease

Ugh....I have some serious bloating issues today.  Someone even asked me if I was pregnant...haha.  I'm going to be 49 next month for goodness sake!  No....I blame it on the coleslaw.  Boy has it done a number on me.  Had some for dinner last night and again at lunchtime.  

Spaghetti and meatballs tonight for the fam.  I'm going to stuff a chicken meatball mixture in halved zucchini and top with sauce....yummy!  And leftovers for the next couple of day.

Plus tomorrow is Friday....woohoo!!

So funny you said that cause I was feeling like I look 4/5 months pregnant yesterday and not sure what's going on, stomach was really hard too...lol. I have three and am done with babies; don't want that baby bump anymore!! :) I am feeling great today, though, so I'm not really worried about it as I think it will regulate itself (it's already gone down a bit). Yay to day 20!!! Would love to know what you put in your chicken meatballs if you have a second to share.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooooooooo I chewed a piece of gum today completely without thinking. Do I need to start over? 

I'm with Michele on this too...I wouldn't quit on day 20 after just a piece of gum. It could have been much worse. I woke up yesterday after a dream that I ate a cookie and was so mad that I had to start over ;)

Hooray for day 20!!! Feeling great today after a pretty sluggish day yesterday. Preparing for my trip right now. Will be strange to pack canned pumpkin and squash, baby food, and other essentials if I'm going to make it being away the next two days. Only thing I'm really worried about is being at a wedding and having absolutely no options. Wish me luck :)

I know I just wrote 3 different times, so I'm sorry for all the posts, but I just had to share this story with people who would understand. I was packing up my canned goods, baby food, etc. for my trip and my 2-year-old saw the packets of baby food that look just like his squeeze applesauce. He started to throw a small fit to have one and since he hasn't had a snack and it's almost lunch time, he's definitely hungry. I initially said, no these are for mommy, and then felt instantly horrible that I just told him he couldn't have a food that is actually meant for him, not me. It was such a funny scene as I'm laughing and handing him one of my "precious" baby food packs. 

With the bloating, I found some good information on the medical forum last time around.  Cruciferous veggies and excess nuts are big culprits on the bloating scene. :) 

Lizlove, I got laugh out of the baby food scene, you could have been a "cutie" commercial. :D

Sooooooooo I chewed a piece of gum today completely without thinking. Do I need to start over? 

Can only tell you my experience as it's a personal thing.  I accidentally licked my finger with a non-compliant food on it while cooking (can't even mention the name....it was not good!) I agonized over it for days.  lol  Just crazy how those rules play with our minds.  I ended up going longer than 30 because of it and am a lot more kinder to myself if I even question if someone put something in my food that I couldn't control.  (I used to lay awake worrying about it)  

For a piece of gum though?  I wouldn't start over.  At 30 days if you still feel like the sugar dragon is calling your name just extend the program for a bit.  

I had a good day today and stumbled across an amazing flavor burst by sheer luck.  One of the places I ate at with my husband today subbed in garlic roasted tomatoes for a non-compliant side.  A little olive oil, sliced cloves of garlic, and grape tomatoes - amazing flavor.  I am definitely trying that at home!

With officially only a week to go, I am focusing on what my next step is going to be.  I am feeling the need to take it slow and easy on the reintroduction and will stick to trying 1 food at a time so I can pinpoint where the rest of my food issues are.  After asking around and reading what other people have been through, I have decided to journal at least the first month to make sure I'm still being aware of what and when I'm eating to get a better handle on the situation. 

I am still working on my habit worksheet, seeing where my snack issues arise and planning diversions for myself.  And non-food rewards for when I meet my goals. :)

Does anyone have any food suggestions for an upset stomach? I woke up with a terrible migraine (kinda expected for me this time of the month) accompanied by nausea. I tried eating some cucumbers to get some food in me and some hydration, but I know it's not enough. Usually yogurt or toast are my go-tos in this situation, but those are now both no-gos. Eggs, sausage, meat of any kind all sound really unappealing and make my stomach churn. 

On a positive note, I survived throwing a party! I made a lot of compliant foods like spaghetti squash and meatball bites, buffalo chicken meatballs, guacamole with cucumber chips, and a giant bowl of fruit. I did offer some cookies and tortilla chips for my guests, but I was only tempted by each for a short time. I'm feeling pretty good about making it happen :-)

Does anyone have any food suggestions for an upset stomach? 

Things like chicken soup, bone broth & mashed potato (or sweet potato) are good on occasions like this. I'd have suggested scrambled eggs too but you ruled those out already....

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thank you so much for your advice everyone! I was thinking about not eating refined sugar for a few more weeks anyway, so I think I will for sure, even though it was just a piece of gum. If I didn't have a seriously fiery sugar dragon I probably wouldn't have sweat it too much, but a few more weeks will be good no matter what! 

Day 21! How can it be?! This week was a tough one for me- there were a lot of days when I just. did. not. feel. like. cooking. Our local meat farmer just started his whole30 on Monday so we had some good chats about it today and I'm feeling revved up! Brisket in the oven now which I can't wait to eat. 

Day 20:

M1: mushroom-onion-mixed potato hash with scrambled eggs

M2: Salad with leftover roasted veggies, soft boiled eggs, bacon, Tessemae's ranch dressing

M3: rotisserie chicken with celery root-potato mash

Day 21:

M1: sauteed a shallot to add to the leftover celery root-potato mash and made potato cakes! Served with chicken sausage and scrambled eggs

M2: leftover roasted veggies and potatoes and rotisserie chicken. Had to eat quick

M3: Brisket with butternut squash-kale salad

I had a dinner fail the other night that was such a bummer! I made the Slow Cooker Kalua Pig by nom nom paleo and I absolutely killed it. SO overcooked. SO dry. So sad. It was not salvageable- we tossed most of it. What a bummer. 

Feeling like the next 9 days are going to fly by! I was having pretty intense cravings this week due to my period so I'm glad those have subsided. I did have a funny dream last night though where I went to Dunkin Donuts and got a black iced coffee and was remarking about how good it was until I looked down and GASP there was a ton of sugar in the bottom! I was SO MAD! I woke up and laughed- I don't even drink coffee! Pretty crazy how our minds play games with us :) Have a great week everyone!

Does anyone have any food suggestions for an upset stomach? I woke up with a terrible migraine (kinda expected for me this time of the month) accompanied by nausea. I tried eating some cucumbers to get some food in me and some hydration, but I know it's not enough. Usually yogurt or toast are my go-tos in this situation, but those are now both no-gos. Eggs, sausage, meat of any kind all sound really unappealing and make my stomach churn. 

On a positive note, I survived throwing a party! I made a lot of compliant foods like spaghetti squash and meatball bites, buffalo chicken meatballs, guacamole with cucumber chips, and a giant bowl of fruit. I did offer some cookies and tortilla chips for my guests, but I was only tempted by each for a short time. I'm feeling pretty good about making it happen :-)

I agree with the sweet potatoes and chicken soup! I don't know if you have a Whole Foods near you, but their Mom's Chicken Soup in the prepared foods section is compliant (at least the one where I live is- I'm not sure if they change it regionally). Also the brand Pacific makes a compliant organic chicken bone broth I think. Hope you feel better asap!

Day 21......wow, we're almost done! This is the time that I've given up twice before. I feel much different this time around and I know I'll finish strong. 

Meals are:

M1 - Elvis Burger....not sure that I really loved this. It was very rich. I also had brussels sprouts and sauteed sweet potato/zucchini "noodles". I didn't really care for the sweet potato noodles either....

M2 - Chopped Veggie salad with Prosciutto and Chicken tossed in EVOO and Red Wine Vinegar (I packed this to take to the park and it held up really well.)

M3 - Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili with Green Beans

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!

Hi guys! Haven't been on in a few days.

I think someone asked what I put in my chicken meatballs. It's always different but this time it was a package of ground chicken, chopped shallots, red pepper, green pepper, lots of fresh parsley, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Halved and deseeded 2 zucchini and piled the mixture into the squash. Smothered with homemade marinara and baked until done. It was delicious!

Can't believe it's been 3 weeks already! I feel so amazing!!! I guess it's time to start thinking about what to do when my time is up. I know reintroduction is important to see how my body responds to the eliminated foods but I feel so great I just want to continue.

The only thing I can say I really really miss is my coffee and French vanilla creamer. Not sure how to approach that one. Just can't do the coconut milk.

Today was:

M1: leftover steak and 2 fried eggs

M2: leftover chicken meatball stuffed zucchini

M3: chicken cutlet coated in almond meal and fried in a little olive oil, roasted green beans with onions and peppers all topped with a balsamic sauce I made by mixing a dollop of mayo with white balsamic vinegar and chopped fresh parsley. So good it could even be used as a salad dressing.

We are in the home stretch!!!

Hi guys! Haven't been on in a few days.

I think someone asked what I put in my chicken meatballs. It's always different but this time it was a package of ground chicken, chopped shallots, red pepper, green pepper, lots of fresh parsley, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Halved and deseeded 2 zucchini and piled the mixture into the squash. Smothered with homemade marinara and baked until done. It was delicious!

Can't believe it's been 3 weeks already! I feel so amazing!!! I guess it's time to start thinking about what to do when my time is up. I know reintroduction is important to see how my body responds to the eliminated foods but I feel so great I just want to continue.

The only thing I can say I really really miss is my coffee and French vanilla creamer. Not sure how to approach that one. Just can't do the coconut milk.

Today was:

M1: leftover steak and 2 fried eggs

M2: leftover chicken meatball stuffed zucchini

M3: chicken cutlet coated in almond meal and fried in a little olive oil, roasted green beans with onions and peppers all topped with a balsamic sauce I made by mixing a dollop of mayo with white balsamic vinegar and chopped fresh parsley. So good it could even be used as a salad dressing.

We are in the home stretch!!!

Thanks for the meatball recipe...it was me who asked. I am going to try them this week...sounds delicious! I needed some new recipes for this week and next to get me through our last week and the beginning of reintroduction. I found out on my trip that my step-sister has done the whole 30 and sent me some recipes to try. I'll let you all know if any are worth sharing.

The trip went pretty well. The only really rough part was being at the wedding from 4:30 for family pictures until 10 pm when the shuttles started going back to the hotel. There was really nothing during the cocktail reception or dinner that was compliant. Luckily my niece was able to special order a grilled steak and some steamed veggies that she shared as she had already had a full meal on appetizers and bread. Otherwise I would have been seriously starving. I didn't expect there to really be nothing compliant. 

I had called ahead and had a refrigerator in my room at a small extra cost. Having that was a lifesaver for this trip. Just happy that's done and we're seriously in the home stretch. I'm not exactly sure what life will be like after this experience and how closely to eating like this I will be able to sustain...we'll see. I do feel good, though, and don't want to mess that up. 

I still want to feel great, though, and I just haven't felt that magic yet. Good luck to all on this week!

I definitely think we're going to continue with a mostly paleo diet after this. I'm finding the things I miss eating are not what I expected to miss at all! Like yogurt. I miss yogurt SO MUCH. My daughter had some the other night but I ended up tossing most of it (sigh. toddlers) and it was breaking my heart haha. Today's meals:

M1: scrambled eggs and home fries

M2: stuffed peppers with ground turkey, kale, and pink banana squash (recipe out of whole30 book. So many good recipes in there!) 

M3: carnitas (whole30 book again!), cauliflower rice, salsa, and guacamole. SO GOOD!

I can't believe we only have just over a week left! Blowing my mind! Have a good week everyone :)

Thanks for the meatball recipe...it was me who asked. I am going to try them this week...sounds delicious! I needed some new recipes for this week and next to get me through our last week and the beginning of reintroduction. I found out on my trip that my step-sister has done the whole 30 and sent me some recipes to try. I'll let you all know if any are worth sharing.

The trip went pretty well. The only really rough part was being at the wedding from 4:30 for family pictures until 10 pm when the shuttles started going back to the hotel. There was really nothing during the cocktail reception or dinner that was compliant. Luckily my niece was able to special order a grilled steak and some steamed veggies that she shared as she had already had a full meal on appetizers and bread. Otherwise I would have been seriously starving. I didn't expect there to really be nothing compliant. 

I had called ahead and had a refrigerator in my room at a small extra cost. Having that was a lifesaver for this trip. Just happy that's done and we're seriously in the home stretch. I'm not exactly sure what life will be like after this experience and how closely to eating like this I will be able to sustain...we'll see. I do feel good, though, and don't want to mess that up. 

I still want to feel great, though, and I just haven't felt that magic yet. Good luck to all on this week!

I totally know what you mean! I feel fine, no crazy energy, sleep quality is up and down, etc. Not feeling the magic either but we'll see how this week goes! Hoping for the best for us both!

Happy Monday!  WOW one week left!!  My 30th day happens to fall on my birthday but no worries....not really interested in having cake! And my man is going to cook me a completely compliant birthday dinner.

So.....this might be a little TMI but I have found my tiger blood coming out IN THE BEDROOM!!  Hubby is quite happy, wonders where his wife went, and says "keep on doing what you're doing".  I helps that I have so much more energy in general and my body is slowing transforming from lumpy to curvy!  

Today looks like this:

M1:  2 fried eggs and sweet potato hash

M2:  Smoked chicken (hubby did this in his smoker yesterday...yum), roasted green beans with onions and red peppers, cut up cucumber and tomato

M3:  bunless burger, oven fries, side salad or veggie

Some days I still find myself a little light on the good fats.  But I'm not experiencing any hunger issues.

Made a batch of cookies yesterday for my family and to share at work.  It was hard to resist having just one but I did it!  Going out to dinner with the girls on Thursday for the first time since starting whole30.  Looking forward to making good choices!

Have a great week everyone!

One other thing....what do you guys think about this.

I am so sick of plain water and tea flavored with lemon and orange.  And I'm not a fruit juice drinker at all.  But I bought a small bottle of Bolthouse Farms Berry Boost fruit smoothie, put a very small amount (it's really thick) in a glass, and filled with water.  Just enough to flavor the water.  It is awesome!  I'm also not a big soda drinker but sometimes you want some fizz....I found Deer Park sparkling water that is just water, bubbles, and orange, lemon or plain.  It's a little different since there is no sweetness but a little more refreshing than plain water.

Has anyone had avocado salad dressing?  I don't like avocados AT ALL but it's mostly the texture.  I'm wondering what the salad dressing tastes like.

One other thing....what do you guys think about this.

I am so sick of plain water and tea flavored with lemon and orange.  And I'm not a fruit juice drinker at all.  But I bought a small bottle of Bolthouse Farms Berry Boost fruit smoothie, put a very small amount (it's really thick) in a glass, and filled with water.  Just enough to flavor the water.  It is awesome!  I'm also not a big soda drinker but sometimes you want some fizz....I found Deer Park sparkling water that is just water, bubbles, and orange, lemon or plain.  It's a little different since there is no sweetness but a little more refreshing than plain water.

Has anyone had avocado salad dressing?  I don't like avocados AT ALL but it's mostly the texture.  I'm wondering what the salad dressing tastes like.

La Croix! They have a ton of different flavors out there. I currently have cantaloupe/orange and blackberry/cucumber. So good!

One more week to go! I have to say that I'm looking forward to reintroduction;)

I haven't had the best energy or sleep the past few days.....I've been sneaking in a nap here or there and I've had coffee past noon also...I think that's the culprit. So! No naps or caffeine after 12 today...wish me luck!

Yesterday's Meals:

M1 - Zucchini/Yellow Squash Noodles with 2 Links of Italian Style Chicken Sausage

M2 - Chicken Salad with Homemade Mayo, Red Onion, Celery on a bed of Butter Lettuce with Apples, Pecans and tossed in Red Wine Vinegar/EVOO

M3 - Leftover Turkey/Sweet Potato Chili topped with Guacamole

Today:

M1 - Chicken Sausage, Sweet Potato and Bell Pepper Hash with Strawberries

M2 - Tuna with Homemade Mayo, Red Onion, Celery with Greens, Cucumbers, and Grape Tomatoes tossed in Red Wine Vinegar/EVOO

M3 - Probably leftover Chili again.....

I need to do some meal prep. I didn't get to it yesterday and I probably won't today, so tomorrow morning it is!

La Croix! They have a ton of different flavors out there. I currently have cantaloupe/orange and blackberry/cucumber. So good!

Yes thanks!  I was looking for that at Walmart but they didn't have it.  I'll have to check my local grocery store.  Several months ago I also bought Hint water but I think it was a promo because the store doesn't have it any more.  I also really didn't want to spend a whole lot of $$.

• Moderators

Yes thanks!  I was looking for that at Walmart but they didn't have it.  I'll have to check my local grocery store.  Several months ago I also bought Hint water but I think it was a promo because the store doesn't have it any more.  I also really didn't want to spend a whole lot of $$.

You might check Target for LaCroix. They sometimes even put it on sale.

My Target carries it and they always seem to have it on sale. If you use the Cartwheel app there is an additional 10% off right now.

Archived