Starting October 4, 2015. Ready for this

MoreEnergyPlease

Good morning all! I was so excited for today...day 16, but unfortunately I woke up with a huge headache and feel more exhausted than even the first week. Where's that tiger blood I was so looking forward to? I guess I just have to be patient for it.

I've also been feeling constipated (feels odd sharing this with strangers, but hoping for some advice). Have felt this way the whole 2 weeks really. It doesn't make sense to me as I have at least one salad a day and lots of other veggies?? Anyone else experience this?

I know I'm trying to pinpoint the foods that give me tummy troubles and so those are all cut out for now, but I'm thinking maybe some of the new foods I've introduced (like coconut milk, more eggs than ever, also more nuts than ever) could be upsetting my stomach now...not sure and don't want to cut much more out.

Hoping you are all feeling great and that tomorrow is better.

I totally know what you mean- I feel like my digestion has been really sluggish. I'm typically a twice a day kinda girl, but lately it's been once every other day maybe. And I never quite feel cleared out. I definitely think I need to drink more water.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, Day 17.....ZERO appetite this morning. I made myself choke down breakfast, but I couldn't finish it. The thought of eggs or sweet potatoes is actually turning my stomach;)

M1 - Hash with two fried eggs (Just wasn't doing it for me this AM)

M2 - Leftover pork and green beans

M3 - Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili

This is a hard time during the Whole 30 for me, I've made two attempts in the past and I gave up around Day 20 or 21 because I just get so sick of the same food...I need to change things up somehow. Any ideas would be appreciated!!!! Especially for breakfast, that doesn't involve eggs!!!! I still can't wrap my head around leftovers for breakfast, so that's out for now.

Good luck back at the gym! I totally know how you feel today. I'm feeling super over it. I almost gave in yesterday.

Day 17! Two more weeks. I'm missing convenience big time. I was out running errands with my daughter yesterday morning and didn't get home until 1- she naps at 2 so I needed to hustle to get lunch together and I did not feel like making anything. It's times like that that I really miss being able to go grab a sandwich somewhere. If I'm being totally honest, I have had terrible PMS the last couple days and have been wavering back and forth between raging and weeping. I was very very close to throwing in the towel yesterday but made it through. Had a little butternut squash soup leftover so I heated that up and ate a banana with almond butter. Not a complete meal but it was enough to get me through until dinner.

For dinner last night I made the Well Fed Beef Stew with a couple adjustments and it was AWESOME! Leftovers for tonight too.

Day 17:

M1: sweet potato-broccoli-onion-pepper-bacon hash and eggs

M2: carrot ginger soup and salad if I can get it together!

M3: leftover beef stew

Hope everyone is doing well. We're over the hump!

I think what I'm really struggling with this week is not seeing much in the way of feeling awesome. I have noticed that when I wake up at night, I fall back to sleep faster and my sleep seems to be quality sleep, but I still don't really feel rested or have energy in the morning. Or all that much during the day honestly. I have no idea how it could be related, but I had allergy testing done last Thursday and that day things went very awry for me. My anxiety, which had evened out a lot, skyrocketed and I haven't felt quite right since. I have a super amped up nervous system and am pretty sensitive to things. I had also been quite sick this summer and still am not totally well. It's been a long year. Really hoping sticking with the program will help me feel better. Thinking we will probably stick to paleo 90% of the time after this month is up.

What are your plans for

I chose to continue on for another 30 days for if you have health problems, 30 days may not be enough to get you back to optimum. I plan to re-introduce dairy when that time is up (November 1). I have no plans to reintroduce grains for I have celiac disease and am allergic to the protein in all grains. I might try legumes down the road. I'm very happy with what I'm eating, feel great and don't want the Sugar Dragon to make a reappearance - or the Salt Dragon, either. I have always been more of a salty snack girl than sweet.

Hang in there everybody!  Do whatever it takes to get you over the hump.  I got to my 30 days and knew it was not enough time.  I'm happy I made the decision to go with 60.  Take some time to research some new foods that you can have at your convenience - even if it costs a bit more to get you through the 30 days.  For me I just need to have some emergency foods b/c in my mind a snack here or there to get me through is the key.  Just keep it compliant is my motto.  For me these foods/meals are:

Compliant Jerky

Olives

Pickles

Raw Nuts

rare - Larabars

Fast veggies such as baby carrots & radishes

Because I try to limit the Larabar (although it got me through my baseball game the other night!) my emergency snack has been stopping by my local juice bar.  Yes, yes I know the rules......don't drink your food.  For me I know my limits and know I've calmed the sugar dragon so a juice of carrot, kale, apple, strawberry, etc. seems a-okay for me at 4pm. ONCE IN AWHILE.  It's just coming up with knowing what works for you around the parameters of the program.

Good luck & post with questions instead of grabbing for food.  :-)

.I need to change things up somehow. Any ideas would be appreciated!!!! Especially for breakfast, that doesn't involve eggs!!!! I still can't wrap my head around leftovers for breakfast, so that's out for now.

You can google Whole30 non egg breakfast to get lots of ideas, plus check out this thread of non-traditional breakfasts. 

For other meals, swap in different proteins, try out a new vegetable, get inspired from this "ingredient of the day" thread of various recipes to try. 

You're over the half-way mark: you can do this!

You can do this Michele & Petunia!!!  When I struggle I keep reminding myself that it's just 30 days.  I know in the midst of it-it seems like an eternity. I'm having a little bit of a break with my hubby being gone for a few days.  I don't have to cook for all 3 of us I can just concentrate on me...it's been really helpful at this stage of the game.

I made a delicious herb and almond meal crusted salmon last night....yum yum!

Michele I really, really try to adapt my regular meals to comply with whole30.  It's the easiest way for me to stay on track.  For instance when I make spaghetti sauce I'll make it with ground beef.  The family will have pasta but I'll have it over a medley of roasted veggies (zucchini, onion, red peppers, onions). Or I'll halve and slightly hollow out two zucchini squash and make a "meatball" mixture with ground chicken-top with spaghetti sauce and bake. Burgers with no bun, of course, smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms with oven fries or sweet potato fries on the side.  I will cut chicken tenders in chunks and saute in olive oil and clarified butter until brown and cooked through and use for salads.  Beef roast or pork roast in the crock pot with carrots and potatoes.  I splurged on a small package of 2 strip steaks that I have in the freezer.  Easy to cook in a fry pan and add veggies and/or salad on the side. I've been collecting a folder full of recipes that look interesting and try to incorporate one or two each week.  

My goal is to get to where (after my 30 days is up) I'm still eating this way....I don't want to change much.  That is where my difficulty lies.  I'm trying not to let myself panic.  Just have to concentrate on the next 15 days.

Thank you for all the encouragement and suggestions! I'm feeling great today! Could this be the elusive tiger blood kicking in??!??

My plan for day 31 is to follow the reintroduction process laid out in the book. My ONLY allowance on Day 31 will be a glass of wine. My mom arrives in town and it's also my daughter's 7th birthday on 11/3. Thankfully, my daughter loves salmon, so I'm trying to encourage her to choose that for her birthday dinner;) I had allergy testing done years ago and it was determined that I have a sensitivity to both gluten and dairy which also led to discovering an autoimmune condition of Graves disease. I would like to reintroduce dairy and gluten last to really pay attention to how they make me feel....I have a sneaking suspicion that I will need to remove them both from my everyday diet.

Day 18 Meals:

M1 - Chicken Sausage, Sweet Potato, Bell Pepper, Onion & Mushroom Hash with a Pear

M2 - Leftover Zucchini Noodles topped with Ground Turkey Spaghetti Sauce (I made this last night and it was great! It reminded me of a pasta primavera without the pasta;)

M3 - More Leftovers! It's time to clean out the fridge a little bit.

Have a great day everyone!

You can do this Michele & Petunia!!!  When I struggle I keep reminding myself that it's just 30 days.  I know in the midst of it-it seems like an eternity. I'm having a little bit of a break with my hubby being gone for a few days.  I don't have to cook for all 3 of us I can just concentrate on me...it's been really helpful at this stage of the game.

I made a delicious herb and almond meal crusted salmon last night....yum yum!

Michele I really, really try to adapt my regular meals to comply with whole30.  It's the easiest way for me to stay on track.  For instance when I make spaghetti sauce I'll make it with ground beef.  The family will have pasta but I'll have it over a medley of roasted veggies (zucchini, onion, red peppers, onions). Or I'll halve and slightly hollow out two zucchini squash and make a "meatball" mixture with ground chicken-top with spaghetti sauce and bake. Burgers with no bun, of course, smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms with oven fries or sweet potato fries on the side.  I will cut chicken tenders in chunks and saute in olive oil and clarified butter until brown and cooked through and use for salads.  Beef roast or pork roast in the crock pot with carrots and potatoes.  I splurged on a small package of 2 strip steaks that I have in the freezer.  Easy to cook in a fry pan and add veggies and/or salad on the side. I've been collecting a folder full of recipes that look interesting and try to incorporate one or two each week.  

My goal is to get to where (after my 30 days is up) I'm still eating this way....I don't want to change much.  That is where my difficulty lies.  I'm trying not to let myself panic.  Just have to concentrate on the next 15 days.

Thanks for the encouragement! You're right that it's only 30 days! I got over myself yesterday and started thinking about all the reasons that I'm doing this;) Not to mention all of the benefits that I'm already noticing! Hello Tiger Blood!

I do try and take my tried and true recipes and make them Whole 30 compliant. Keeps things simple. My husband is gone on deployment right now and it's been so much easier tackling this on my own with only my almost 7 year old to please. I'm forever grateful that she's a good eater and willing to try new things. She loved the zucchini noodles and asked for them in her lunch today! 

Thanks for the encouragement! You're right that it's only 30 days! I got over myself yesterday and started thinking about all the reasons that I'm doing this;) Not to mention all of the benefits that I'm already noticing! Hello Tiger Blood!

I do try and take my tried and true recipes and make them Whole 30 compliant. Keeps things simple. My husband is gone on deployment right now and it's been so much easier tackling this on my own with only my almost 7 year old to please. I'm forever grateful that she's a good eater and willing to try new things. She loved the zucchini noodles and asked for them in her lunch today! 

I can't necessarily say I have tiger blood just yet.  I do feel better mentally, emotionally, and physically but I'm just feeling tired.  Sleeping great....although (thank goodness) it's never been an issue for me.  I have to wake up at 5:30 to be at work by 7:00 and my body just doesn't like it...never has....never will!

Today looks like this:

M1:  2 hard boiled eggs, chicken sausage, sweet potato hash with peppers and onions
M2:  2 coconut crusted chicken tenders with a large salad with lettuce, tomatoes, and homemade caesar dressing.
M3:  Pepper steak with some sort of veggies and small salad with oil and vinegar dressing

Need to go back to the store for more almond butter.  Fresh Market has a machine that grinds almonds right before your eyes!  You can buy it by the pounds....awesome on apples!!  I buy a little at a time and try not to keep it in the house or eat it every day as it is addicting.  However, it's nice when my meals lack a little fat.

Michele I'm so glad you're feeling the tiger blood today! That's awesome!!

I didn't have any food allergy testing but maybe that's up next. This process has made me wonder if I have a sensitivity to spinach... I've noticed my cheeks feeling raw, warm and red after meals a few times and I'm thinking that might be the culprit.

I saw a meal idea on the non-traditional breakfast thread GFChris posted for Elvis burgers with bananas, almond butter, and bacon and I'm thinking we might try it for dinner tonight with sweet potato fries. Sounds so good! And weird! Haha

Day 18:

M1: portobello-onion scramble with sweet potato spears and avocado

M2: salad with rotisserie chicken, tomato, avocado, shredded carrots, and Tessemae's ranch (I am obsessed with this dressing!)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Good Morning Day 19!

Breakfast was a dud again! I need to take the time today to search out non-egg breakfast ideas.....I figured out that I really don't like the So Delicious coconut milk that comes in the little cardboard containers. I added it to my coffee and it's very gritty. It also separates into a thick glop at the bottom of my cup. Belck! Back to the canned stuff it is!

M1 - Two Scrambled Eggs topped with Avocado and Salsa, Sweet Potato Hash with Chicken Sausage

M2 - Leftover Zoodles and Sauce

M3 - Unsure...more Leftovers or Turkey Burgers

Michele I'm so glad you're feeling the tiger blood today! That's awesome!!

I didn't have any food allergy testing but maybe that's up next. This process has made me wonder if I have a sensitivity to spinach... I've noticed my cheeks feeling raw, warm and red after meals a few times and I'm thinking that might be the culprit.

I saw a meal idea on the non-traditional breakfast thread GFChris posted for Elvis burgers with bananas, almond butter, and bacon and I'm thinking we might try it for dinner tonight with sweet potato fries. Sounds so good! And weird! Haha

Day 18:

M1: portobello-onion scramble with sweet potato spears and avocado

M2: salad with rotisserie chicken, tomato, avocado, shredded carrots, and Tessemae's ranch (I am obsessed with this dressing!)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Those Elvis burgers sound awesome! I might try that tonight for dinner!

• Moderators

Good Morning Day 19!

Breakfast was a dud again! I need to take the time today to search out non-egg breakfast ideas.....I figured out that I really don't like the So Delicious coconut milk that comes in the little cardboard containers. I added it to my coffee and it's very gritty. It also separates into a thick glop at the bottom of my cup. Belck! Back to the canned stuff it is!

M1 - Two Scrambled Eggs topped with Avocado and Salsa, Sweet Potato Hash with Chicken Sausage

M2 - Leftover Zoodles and Sauce

M3 - Unsure...more Leftovers or Turkey Burgers

It's best to quit thinking in terms of breakfast foods. You can eat anything at any meal. Try this thread for some ideas of non-egg breakfasts.

(btw, those Elvis burgers someone else mentioned are great for a first meal of the day.)

Ugh....I have some serious bloating issues today.  Someone even asked me if I was pregnant...haha.  I'm going to be 49 next month for goodness sake!  No....I blame it on the coleslaw.  Boy has it done a number on me.  Had some for dinner last night and again at lunchtime.  

Spaghetti and meatballs tonight for the fam.  I'm going to stuff a chicken meatball mixture in halved zucchini and top with sauce....yummy!  And leftovers for the next couple of day.

Plus tomorrow is Friday....woohoo!!

Sooooooooo I chewed a piece of gum today completely without thinking. Do I need to start over?

I can honestly say, that if it were me, I wouldn't start over. You've gone so far and it's not like you ordered a pizza or sat down with a bottle of wine. I'm sure there will be other opinions, but that's mine;)

It's best to quit thinking in terms of breakfast foods. You can eat anything at any meal. Try this thread for some ideas of non-egg breakfasts.

(btw, those Elvis burgers someone else mentioned are great for a first meal of the day.)

You're right, but it takes time to change 38 years of habits:) I'm going to attempt some zucchini noodles with sausage this morning.....thanks for the feedback! 

Archived