Starting October 4, 2015. Ready for this

MoreEnergyPlease

• Moderators

Welcome lizlove...it's good to have you!

Yesterday.....UGH

The plans to go out to dinner with hubby's boss got cancelled. It was a struggle but I managed not to go off on my wonderful man for changing the plan! He said we could still go out but with the budget really tight I didn't want to spend $40 on 2 meals...mine probably being nothing more than a plain burger and steamed broccoli. Meanwhile back home....I didn't have any protein defrosted....no leftovers...nothing! And I. WAS. STARVING. I sat on the couch for 1/2 hour contemplating what to do all the while spiraling down and down and down. Decided on eggs and the small little bit of leftover sweet potato hash I was going to have for breakfast. I reached for the eggs...I only had 5 and I needed 3 for dinner, 2 for breakfast, and 2 for a coffee cake I needed to make for bosses day breakfast (ANOTHER UGH). I ended up wandering around the grocery store for 20 minutes. Came home with more eggs because by this time it was JUST TO LATE!

I think this is my struggle with whole30....if you're not prepared you could be doomed! Things were easier when there were 5 of us in the house and I was cooking dinner every night for the family. But now we're down to 3 and most nights my son is at work leaving just the hubs and I. I do still cook but the days of "leftover" and "whatever" meals and "let's just grab a chick-fil-a sandwich" because I am exhausted are becoming the norm.

Now that I've written you a dissertation..LOL...I made it through. And I made it through bosses day breakfast! I ate my 2 fried eggs and my wonderful co-workers had mercy on me and brought fruit and veggies so I could have something, too.

I'm still struggling with hunger pangs. I think I've been eating a good amount of fat. I'm always using olive oil or clarified butter to cook things in. Not sure what the deal is :) Today I have an interesting lunch....a can of tuna with marinated artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, and kalamata olives with tomatoes and cucumbers on the side. Orange chicken for dinner with cauliflower rice (first time making this).

Sorry this was so long...but who else can I talk to that will understand...HAHA

Your meals may still be a little light. For instance, when eggs are your only protein source, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably three or four. Add some fat in addition to what you cook with, especially if you notice a lot of the fat still in the pan and therefore not getting eaten. And aim for two or three cups of veggies at each meal, or more if you want.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so jealous of your epic night of sleep!!! I can't remember the last time I slept through the night like that!

Coconut Chicken Tenders sound delicious!! Do you have a recipe?

Thanks! It's one of the perks that I remember from my past two attempts.

Here's the link to the chicken tenders! They were delicious! My 6 year old loved them too!

http://frompastatopaleo.com/2013/06/14/day-eighteen-coconut-chicken-fingers/

Hi All! I know I am late to join you, but just came to the forum today for some inspiration and found this thread. I started on 10/4 too and thought I'd join the conversation and support. I just read through your posts (not all but most) and already feel a bit more encouraged to read others going through the same as me. Day 12 is exciting but also feels like a ton of time is left ahead of us. Not sure why today feels like the biggest struggle. 

Just fixed lunch for myself and 2-y-o. I usually try to make his similar to mine but he really wanted a peanut butter and honey sandwich (I use sunbutter and almond butter for him sometimes but know he likes pb so I thought, why not?) Well, it took everything for me to not lick the pb off the knife!!! :)

Am truly hoping for some of that tiger blood next week. I do HIIT workouts early in the morning and am struggling with what to eat before. I don't want to eat, but I know I should. It's hard to eat a hard boiled egg at 5 in the morning. All that seems good to me is a banana. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm traveling to a wedding next weekend and am dreading being away. Will be in a hotel with no car and no fridge. Hoping the wedding night has some options but worried I will be starving.

Ready to be over the hump. Glad to find you all!

Welcome lizlove!  I don't work out as early as you but I go about 8:30 and never used to eat before.  An Xtend drink was about it.  Now I do breakfast but one day/week I train really early and don't eat breakfast.  I eat a hardboiled egg, piece of jersey, and/or tablespoon of sunbather.  I also do a lot of sliced roasted potatoes and they are easy to nuke for a quick carb.  After workout I do like my bananas but usually do egg whites.  I know it's hard & you get very hungry working out!

Welcome lizlove!  I don't work out as early as you but I go about 8:30 and never used to eat before.  An Xtend drink was about it.  Now I do breakfast but one day/week I train really early and don't eat breakfast.  I eat a hardboiled egg, piece of jersey, and/or tablespoon of sunbather.  I also do a lot of sliced roasted potatoes and they are easy to nuke for a quick carb.  After workout I do like my bananas but usually do egg whites.  I know it's hard & you get very hungry working out!

Damn spell check.  Jerky or sunbutter! lol

I am feeling the same thing today! Very very draggy, tired, my limbs feel weak. Day 13 for me. I have no energy. Just had a couple prosciutto wrapped egg muffins for breakfast with some avocado and roasted sweet potato spears. I did manage to eat most of it. I had some VERY strong aversions to sweet potatoes and avocado the first week, so that felt like a victory to me this morning! 

Yesterday's meals for us were:

M1: Prosciutto wrapped egg muffins (used the nomnompaleo recipe as a guide- I didn't put the coconut milk or flour in, and I used mushrooms, onion, a leek, and spinach) with leftover mixed potato/suasage hash

M2: Ginger-garlic pork lettuce wraps (also used nomnompaleo recipe as a guide)

M3: Chicken soup

About an hour after we ate lunch yesterday I had some intense reflux and nausea. Still just not feeling quite right today. I laid down for a bit yesterday afternoon and then made chicken soup for dinner. I felt pretty good after that, actually. I am tending to have a burst of energy in the evening after my daughter goes to bed, which isn't unusual for me, but I need to do something about it- I've not been getting to sleep until 11:30 or 12 the past few nights and my daughter has been waking up at 5:30/5:45 and it's killing me! I can't make her wake up later so I've got to get myself to bed earlier. Anybody have any favorite wind down tips before bed?

Honestly, I don't know how all of you are managing to do whole30 around a full-time job! I'm a stay at home mom which has its own challenges, but being home to cook is a benefit. Before whole30 we did pretty quick lunches and breakfasts, so putting effort into making breakfast everyday has been quite an adjustment. We go to the farmers market Saturday morning and do a big stock up and then go home and make a plan for the week with what we got and go to the grocery store to supplement. But I still feel like I go to the store everyday for something I've forgotten! 

Day 13. Almost over the hump. I'm hoping my energy level pops back up soon. I have to say, I have a mega sweet tooth, but I haven't been having much in the way of sweet cravings. I think I miss legumes more than anything! 

I too am a SAHM and feel for those that have to pack their food every morning for the entire day.  (found a new awesome food pack at Complete Nutrition if anyone is interested.)

I am on Week 5 and will say this is the first week I've been getting to bed late (11:30), bogged down with too many kid activities, and as a result very stressed.  Funny this is the only week I've really been struggling with food.  It's the lack of sleep I'm convinced.  I've been compliant but not prepared on meals & more hungry between meals.  A definite recheck & jumpstart is needed this weekend!

Sorry for all of the posts!  Just thought of a big problem.  It's MLB playoff season.  Heading to the ballpark tonight.  First have to make it through the tailgate with my sparkling water.  I can handle that.  Then my game plan of a compliant mini-dinner at home with peanuts at the park backfired.  Why do I have such a hard time remembering peanuts are off-plan?  Good thing I don't eat them often.  What would you do?  I'm thinking snack in my purse just in case I get hungry.  Pistachios?  Larabar?  Jerkey?  (not all of course)

Day 12 is almost done! I haven't felt nearly as exhausted today, but I feel like my brain can't keep up with what's going on. I'm having a hard time staying on my schedule of seeing kids at school and of concentrating on paperwork.

I indulged a bit for dinner last night and had a Best Burger patty in a lettuce bun with asian cabbage slaw and roasted potatoes. Delicious!

Here is today:

M1: leftover patty with fried egg on top and veggie medley.

M2: leftover buffalo chicken, Asian slaw, and cucumber slices with guac.

M3: leftover chicken taco meat and salad with avocado, tomatoes, and carrots

I am enjoying the sound sleep I've started getting at night again now. :)  And, the steady energy I have throughout the day.  The only time I seem to suffer with being sleepy and draggy is first thing after getting up, before breakfast.

I sympathize with the time issue on trying to stay fed and stay compliant while working full time (or having a small child, that's overtime!).  During my first W30, I worked an obscene amount of overtime.  It got to the point where if I wasn't at work, I was in the kitchen and flat did not have time to get the sleep I needed.  I only had one day off every two weeks so just did not have the time or energy to do all the prep work and extra cooking on the one day I had to get all my errands done.  I did make it through the first one, picked up some tips on keeping it simple, but rather than cook enough for a week at a time I finally started making each meal big enough for half a dozen people and then I'd eat leftovers for the next couple of days.  I have discovered that pre-chopped, frozen veggies cost me about the same as buying fresh and take much less time, leaving me free to cook actual recipes instead of throwing everything in eggs.  Protein salads were my best friend during those weeks.  This time I was much better prepared and am not working the crazy hours, so it's been much easier.

On the being tired and weak, are you getting enough red meat?  Or supplementing with veggie source iron?  Running low on iron could cause you some issues, particularly if you're prone to anemia at all.  Spinach is good for iron, I don't remember what else, I'll have to look it up again.  Maybe read back along your food log and see if you can identify why you're pooped after a day of feeling great?  For me, it was too much fruit, not enough protein/fat.

That's a tough one jd. Instead of a mini dinner I might eat a full meal to hold me over and put veggies and nuts in my purse. Are you planning on eating after the game?

Okay, had an enlightening night at the park.  Watching all of that gross food around me....none of it looked good!  The only one that appealed was a soft pretzel as I do love those.  Didn't miss the alcohol one bit.  I hate a salmon filet, curried cauliflower, & steamed brussel sprouts beforehand.  During the game I had a Larabar.  When I got home I was still starving so I scrambled two eggs.  Felt I really needed it to get me to morning & I train first thing.  My body was just craving protein!  Consider tonight a success!

Okay, had an enlightening night at the park.  Watching all of that gross food around me....none of it looked good!  The only one that appealed was a soft pretzel as I do love those.  Didn't miss the alcohol one bit.  I hate a salmon filet, curried cauliflower, & steamed brussel sprouts beforehand.  During the game I had a Larabar.  When I got home I was still starving so I scrambled two eggs.  Felt I really needed it to get me to morning & I train first thing.  My body was just craving protein!  Consider tonight a success!

Sounds like a great success to me!!

Yesterday.....UGH

The plans to go out to dinner with hubby's boss got cancelled.  It was a struggle but I managed not to go off on my wonderful man for changing the plan!  He said we could still go out but with the budget really tight I didn't want to spend $40 on 2 meals...mine probably being nothing more than a plain burger and steamed broccoli.  Meanwhile back home....I didn't have any protein defrosted....no leftovers...nothing!  And I. WAS. STARVING.  I sat on the couch for 1/2 hour contemplating what to do all the while spiraling down and down and down.  Decided on eggs and the small little bit of leftover sweet potato hash I was going to have for breakfast.  I reached for the eggs...I only had 5 and I needed 3 for dinner, 2 for breakfast, and 2 for a coffee cake I needed to make for bosses day breakfast (ANOTHER UGH).  I ended up wandering around the grocery store for 20 minutes.  Came home with more eggs because by this time it was JUST TO LATE!  

I think this is my struggle with whole30....if you're not prepared you could be doomed!  Things were easier when there were 5 of us in the house and I was cooking dinner every night for the family.  But now we're down to 3 and most nights my son is at work leaving just the hubs and I.  I do still cook but the days of "leftover" and "whatever" meals and "let's just grab a chick-fil-a sandwich" because I am exhausted are becoming the norm. 

Now that I've written you a dissertation..LOL...I made it through.  And I made it through bosses day breakfast!  I ate my 2 fried eggs and my wonderful co-workers had mercy on me and brought fruit and veggies so I could have something, too.  

I'm still struggling with hunger pangs.  I think I've been eating a good amount of fat.  I'm always using olive oil or clarified butter to cook things in.  Not sure what the deal is :)  Today I have an interesting lunch....a can of tuna with marinated artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, and kalamata olives with tomatoes and cucumbers on the side.  Orange chicken for dinner with cauliflower rice (first time making this).

Take a look at Melissa Joulwan's batch cooking http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/. If you did something similar to this you'd always have food at the ready. It takes about 2 hours and only 1 big clean up.

You need 3-4 eggs for breakfast unless you are extremely petite or are having another protein source with it. A lot of cooking fat gets left in the pan so we still need to add a thumb or two to our meal.

Wow! Day 14! I feel like I've come so far, but still have so far to go!

I did have 2 big tests so far this weekend: Yesterday my daughter and I went over to a friend of her's so she could have a play date. They ordered pizza and offered wine! I turned down both explaining what I was doing and stuck with fruit salad and veggie salad.  I had a compliant meal when we got home....Today we met a large group of friends for pumpkin patch and fall farm fun! Of course we went out to eat....it wasn't easy turning down a margarita:( I had steak, chicken, shrimp and veggie fajitas. Unfortunately, the portion was tiny! I came home and had a chicken thigh with sunshine sauce, brussels sprouts and 1/2 an apple. I did learn that I don't need food or drink to enjoy myself though! I left the restaurant today without being so full that all I wanted to do was sleep. That was a great feeling!

Today's Meal:

M1 - Chicken Sausage, Sweet Potato, Mushroom, Bell Pepper and Onion Hash with a Fried Egg and a Pear.

M2 - Fajitas, Chicken Thigh with Sunshine Sauce, Brussels Sprouts & 1/2 and Apple.

M3 - Unsure.....I'm not starving, but I know I need to eat something. Maybe some scrambled eggs with avocado and salsa...with sauteed veggies.

I'm trying to meal plan and I'm struggling! Nothing sounds particularly good......

Yesterday.....UGH

The plans to go out to dinner with hubby's boss got cancelled. It was a struggle but I managed not to go off on my wonderful man for changing the plan! He said we could still go out but with the budget really tight I didn't want to spend $40 on 2 meals...mine probably being nothing more than a plain burger and steamed broccoli. Meanwhile back home....I didn't have any protein defrosted....no leftovers...nothing! And I. WAS. STARVING. I sat on the couch for 1/2 hour contemplating what to do all the while spiraling down and down and down. Decided on eggs and the small little bit of leftover sweet potato hash I was going to have for breakfast. I reached for the eggs...I only had 5 and I needed 3 for dinner, 2 for breakfast, and 2 for a coffee cake I needed to make for bosses day breakfast (ANOTHER UGH). I ended up wandering around the grocery store for 20 minutes. Came home with more eggs because by this time it was JUST TO LATE!

I think this is my struggle with whole30....if you're not prepared you could be doomed! Things were easier when there were 5 of us in the house and I was cooking dinner every night for the family. But now we're down to 3 and most nights my son is at work leaving just the hubs and I. I do still cook but the days of "leftover" and "whatever" meals and "let's just grab a chick-fil-a sandwich" because I am exhausted are becoming the norm.

Now that I've written you a dissertation..LOL...I made it through. And I made it through bosses day breakfast! I ate my 2 fried eggs and my wonderful co-workers had mercy on me and brought fruit and veggies so I could have something, too.

I'm still struggling with hunger pangs. I think I've been eating a good amount of fat. I'm always using olive oil or clarified butter to cook things in. Not sure what the deal is :) Today I have an interesting lunch....a can of tuna with marinated artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, and kalamata olives with tomatoes and cucumbers on the side. Orange chicken for dinner with cauliflower rice (first time making this).

RobinF this is totally when I shut down!!! If I don't have a dinner plan or don't start prepping early enough I get super cranky! And if I have a headache or feel like I NEED TO EAT RIGHT NOW it's all over! My husband also seems to completely lack the ability to have a sense about the timing of dinner which is very frustrating. He has no sense of urgency about it- it makes me crazy! ANYWAY- great job not caving and getting what you needed to tide you over for the night and get you through the next morning! Glad your coworkers brought you some good stuff :)

I am enjoying the sound sleep I've started getting at night again now. :) And, the steady energy I have throughout the day. The only time I seem to suffer with being sleepy and draggy is first thing after getting up, before breakfast.

I sympathize with the time issue on trying to stay fed and stay compliant while working full time (or having a small child, that's overtime!). During my first W30, I worked an obscene amount of overtime. It got to the point where if I wasn't at work, I was in the kitchen and flat did not have time to get the sleep I needed. I only had one day off every two weeks so just did not have the time or energy to do all the prep work and extra cooking on the one day I had to get all my errands done. I did make it through the first one, picked up some tips on keeping it simple, but rather than cook enough for a week at a time I finally started making each meal big enough for half a dozen people and then I'd eat leftovers for the next couple of days. I have discovered that pre-chopped, frozen veggies cost me about the same as buying fresh and take much less time, leaving me free to cook actual recipes instead of throwing everything in eggs. Protein salads were my best friend during those weeks. This time I was much better prepared and am not working the crazy hours, so it's been much easier.

On the being tired and weak, are you getting enough red meat? Or supplementing with veggie source iron? Running low on iron could cause you some issues, particularly if you're prone to anemia at all. Spinach is good for iron, I don't remember what else, I'll have to look it up again. Maybe read back along your food log and see if you can identify why you're pooped after a day of feeling great? For me, it was too much fruit, not enough protein/fat.

You're dead-on C_Cezeaux - I have struggled with anemia at times in the past and we haven't been doing much beef this week at all. Started taking my iron supplement again and planned some beef meals for this week. Let's hope it helps!

Glad you aren't working so much this time around so you can enjoy the process a little more!

Wow! Day 14! I feel like I've come so far, but still have so far to go!

I did have 2 big tests so far this weekend: Yesterday my daughter and I went over to a friend of her's so she could have a play date. They ordered pizza and offered wine! I turned down both explaining what I was doing and stuck with fruit salad and veggie salad. I had a compliant meal when we got home....Today we met a large group of friends for pumpkin patch and fall farm fun! Of course we went out to eat....it wasn't easy turning down a margarita:( I had steak, chicken, shrimp and veggie fajitas. Unfortunately, the portion was tiny! I came home and had a chicken thigh with sunshine sauce, brussels sprouts and 1/2 an apple. I did learn that I don't need food or drink to enjoy myself though! I left the restaurant today without being so full that all I wanted to do was sleep. That was a great feeling!.

Great job! Sounds like quite a success!!

Thanks for the sleep suggestions Shannon!!

Day 14:

M1: prosciutto wrapped egg muffins w/sweet potato spears

M2: salad with boiled eggs, bacon and avocado

M3: burgers with chopped mushrooms and onion mixed into the meat and some coconut aminos and Tessemae's ketchup, and sweet and white roasted potatoes

Day 15:

M1: veggie scramble with potatoes

M2: butternut squash soup and a salad with boiled eggs and tomatoes

M3: leftover burger, leftover sweet potato spears, chicken cutlet and roasted asparagus

I have been a major cranky pants the last couple days. Yesterday I was desperate for a pizza. I'm really seeing the psychology of how what we eat affects our brain!

My daughter has the worst cold she has ever had- yesterday she coughed so hard she vomited :( - so we had a VERY long night. I'm pooped.

OH! I found a compliant chicken sausage at Whole Foods! The original Brat Hans sundried tomato & basil. It's delicious!

Is it seriously Day 16? It doesn't seem possible! Wow!

Today:

M1: sausage-mushroom-asparagus-kale-onion-sweet potato hash with scrambled eggs

M2: butternut squash soup with salad

M3: not totally sure yet... Most likely spaghetti squash and meat sauce

Hope everyone is doing well and hanging in!

I have seen recipes for pizza that make the crust from cauliflower. I'm not sure if that would fall into SWYPO or not, and I've also seen it with a ground beef "crust". Pizza for me is really what's on top the crust so if I can get that on something else, I'm good to go.

Two weeks over! Keep up your great work.

Day 15! Half way there! Energy is up although the past two mornings, I've woken up quite early. I hope that stops soon! I did a little batch cooking today to prepare for the week. I'm anticipating my Day 20 or 21 where I just become OVER the whole program....not happening this time!

Meals:

M1 - Sweet Potato, Mushroom, Bell Pepper Onion and Chicken Sausage Hash with a Fried Egg and Banana

M2 - Butternut Squash Soup topped with Bacon and a Salad with Two HB Eggs

M3 - Cinnamon Chili Pork Tenderloin with Apple Salsa and Green Beans

Have a great rest of the weekend!!

Day 15 for me today!!  Half way there....I'm with you Michele.  Feeling pretty good....got some good prep done yesterday.  My man is out of town for a few days so it'll just be me and my son (who has to work in the evenings) so meals will be easier through Wednesday.

This is what today looks like:

M1 - 2 fried eggs, Aiello's chicken sausage, sweet potato hash with peppers and onions

M2 - leftover pork roast, broccoli, grapes

M3 - Salmon with a veggie and probably salad with caesar dressing-never cooked salmon before so I'm searching for a good way to prepare it. 

My new favorite is cauliflower rice....sooo good!!!!

The one thing I still really, really miss is my coffee with creamer.  Nothing I've tried takes it's place. I'm sipping on an orange spice tea this morning.  It's good but......

Have a great Monday!

Good morning all! I was so excited for today...day 16, but unfortunately I woke up with a huge headache and feel more exhausted than even the first week. Where's that tiger blood I was so looking forward to? I guess I just have to be patient for it. 

I've also been feeling constipated (feels odd sharing this with strangers, but hoping for some advice). Have felt this way the whole 2 weeks really. It doesn't make sense to me as I have at least one salad a day and lots of other veggies?? Anyone else experience this? 

I know I'm trying to pinpoint the foods that give me tummy troubles and so those are all cut out for now, but I'm thinking maybe some of the new foods I've introduced (like coconut milk, more eggs than ever, also more nuts than ever) could be upsetting my stomach now...not sure and don't want to cut much more out.

Hoping you are all feeling great and that tomorrow is better. 

I've also been feeling constipated (feels odd sharing this with strangers, but hoping for some advice). Have felt this way the whole 2 weeks really. It doesn't make sense to me as I have at least one salad a day and lots of other veggies?? Anyone else experience this? 

I know I'm trying to pinpoint the foods that give me tummy troubles and so those are all cut out for now, but I'm thinking maybe some of the new foods I've introduced (like coconut milk, more eggs than ever, also more nuts than ever) could be upsetting my stomach now...not sure and don't want to cut much more out.

Generally we find for folks that have digestive trouble, the common culprits are:

- raw veggies

- cruciferous veggies

- nuts

- not drinking at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily

I'd suggest dropping the nuts and all raw veggies plus any cruciferous veggies, switching to cooked veggies and make sure you're getting enough water.

Hello All! Day 16!

Slept great again, but woke up before 5. I'm not loving that...could be that's all the sleep I need?? So, I started back at the gym today. I've decided to tackle C25K along with the classes that I love! Felt good to get back.

Meals:

M1 - 3 egg omelet with bell pepper, tomatoes, green onion, bacon and topped with avocado (So sick of sweet potato hash, decided to change it up)

M2 - Butternut squash soup & chicken salad with mayo, red onion, celery on greens with apple, pecans tossed in red wine vinegar/evoo

M3 - Leftovers; cinnamon chili pork tenderloin with apple salsa, roast sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts

Ugh, Day 17.....ZERO appetite this morning. I made myself choke down breakfast, but I couldn't finish it. The thought of eggs or sweet potatoes is actually turning my stomach;)

M1 - Hash with two fried eggs (Just wasn't doing it for me this AM)

M2 - Leftover pork and green beans

M3 - Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili

This is a hard time during the Whole 30 for me, I've made two attempts in the past and I gave up around Day 20 or 21 because I just get so sick of the same food...I need to change things up somehow. Any ideas would be appreciated!!!! Especially for breakfast, that doesn't involve eggs!!!! I still can't wrap my head around leftovers for breakfast, so that's out for now.

Archived