Linger Long

MeadowLily

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't Fence Me In.

IMG_4993.jpg

I'm Footloose.  I'm cutting loose.   I'm expanding my horizons and the sky is not the limit.  This is my personal small corner of the world where I will shout out to the Universe.  earth-to-smiley.gif?1292867587

I've lingered long at the door.  I'm facing the music and looking into my future without play foods and snackstorms.   The only person I can continue to fix is me.   

O give me land, lots of land, and the starry skies above
Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in

Let me be by myself in the evening breeze
Listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please
Don't fence me in

Just turn me loose, let me straddle my on saddle
Underneath the western skies
On my cayuse, let me wander over yonder
Till I see the mountains rise

I want to ride to the ridge where the West commences
Too many words, gaze at the moon till I lose my senses
Can't look at hobbles and I can't stand fences
Don't fence me in

O give me land, lots of land, and the starry skies above
Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in

Let me be by myself in the evening breeze
Listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please
Don't fence me in

Just turn me loose, let me straddle my on saddle
Underneath the western skies
On my cayuse, let me wander over yonder
Till I see the mountains rise

I want to ride to the ridge where the West commences
Gaze at the moon till I lose my senses
Can't look at hobbles and I can't stand fences
Don't fence me in

"I love the Whole30 because it provides the platform off of which you can springboard into a whole new life. It gives people self-confidence, joy, and a clean slate to tackle hard things, good things, new things."

"The Whole30 can be the gateway into a whole new life. Don’t hang out at the doorway. Walk forward, go beyond. We’re here for you, and we’re rooting for you."

Tiny steps for tiny feet.   I'm walking forward and one day, I'll go beyond.  

The only actions I'm tuning UP are my own.  You can't fix anyone else. Enabling is not compassionate.  

The right atmosphere can change the heart.  Outside that atmosphere, people feel the sad reality of life and the threat of their sickness.  Once inside, they feel faith rise and the sadness vanishes. Discouragement dissipates.  Fear flees in the overpowering encounter with the love of those who care. 

A good mentor does not enable.  They encourage you to face the music. Stand on your own two feet.  

My most precious resource is momentum.  I guard it and protect it.   It has given me the strength and power to reload again and again and again.

Today, I defend my pea patch.   Momentum.

Momentum is a true gift.   Without it your dreams can wither on the vine. 

Momentum is my personal reinforcement.  It's awesome.  

Have you ever dated a scaredy-cat?  Someone who strings you along and when you finally walk forward and beyond...they suddenly want you back. The momentum is gone and you've lost that loving feeling...stick a fork in it, it's done.  Their fear took all of the air out of the room and momentum.

Lightning strikes.  Maybe once.   Maybe twice.   When it's gone...it's gone. 

Momentum will pull you through when everyone else is sleeping or busy. It is a roaring engine running on all cylinders.  It can take you beyond the moon. Momentum is a fire that will not be extinguished if you guard it.   

It is the firepower I'll need to keep moving into the future.   I'm not looking to the left or right.   My eyes are forward. 

Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
And it all comes down to you
I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes
(She was just a wish)
(She was just a wish)

I'm no longer in the Rookie Season.   I've nailed it and I'm owning it.   I cannot get complacent or sloppy.  I'm tightening UP and fine tuning.

To fall back into old habits is like sending a surgeon into the operating room without the proper instruments.  He had only one tool to cut you wide open and leave you there on the table.

The greatest mistake that some make is believing that after 30 Whole days your body will respond to thrill eating in a different way.  That you can immediately revert backwards on Day 31 with different results and rebound weight gain is a thing of the past.

Play foods and snackstorms contradict all of my hard work.  Sugars = emotional attachment.   Smoothies and juices = fruit slurpees. Chewing real food raises the metabolism.   Fake foods and over processed foods = stubborn belly fat and metabolic syndrome and cortisol nightmares. 

Post Whole Digger.   The weight releasing is over.  There are new goals.  Like staying fit.   Building muscle.  Learning to enjoy the body and mind I've worked so hard to achieve.  

Having passion is always good in this game.  Lose your passion and it turn into no longer caring.   Strategy = develop new and healthy interests.  Group stuff is also motivational.

What it comes down to in the end.   Enjoying it.  

At the start, I just had to get out there and do it.  The weight releasing really motivated me, too.  Then the change to the physique.  Eating fish almost every day has boosted my desire to exercise.  I know it has given me more energy.

Eat fish without fail and you will release the weight at a slow and comfortable pace.   Fish.  Fish.  Fish.   Not fried.  Even one can of fish every day for a month will do wonders.

I will continue to make it fun for myself.  It's all fun.  Really. 

Fat is not a feeling. 

Trying to get skinny will keep you fat.

Address the head games we play with ourself.

All movement counts.  Find activities you love to do and do them on your terms.  

The old approach will no longer serve you.  Sticking the landing requires new fitness goals and motivation.

YOYO dieting and massive amounts of cardio and rebounding --gaining every pound back...

Doing things you didn't want to do just in the name of weight loss. That is the recipe for gaining all of the weight back. 

Once I started Whole 30....nothing in the world could have stopped me.  I wanted it so badly that you could have have offered me a million dollars to eat a cookie and I would have turned you down without a second's hesitation.

I wasn't going to let anyone or anything take my dream away from me.

It took awhile to get here but failure would have been a soul-crushing experience.  I believed I could do it and I did.  

Dieting and over-restriction and starving yourself causes this.....

A blood test would reveal a leptin deficiency resulting from rapid weight loss. Anyone who has lost more than 10% of their body weight has - as far as they can tell - permanently reduced leptin levels. This causes the metabolic slowdown of 15 - 25% that the feeling of always being cold, and other physical symptoms. Perhaps a blood test would show other biochemical changes too, if they've figured out how to measure some of the other hormones that are changed by rapid weight loss and radical dieting.

Even 5 years down the road after an extreme amount of weight loss for the morbidly obese using a radical weight loss program--

Even five years after reaching goal, a simple blood test would reveal status as a reduced obese person. “I am a fat man in a thin man’s body”. 

In addition to the long-term physical changes caused by weight loss, there are some psychological consequences of weight loss called “semi-starvation neurosis”, when people obsess about food and become anxious and depressed. 

These physical and psychological changes associated with extreme weight loss led one group of researchers to conclude that:

… the removal of morbid obesity by means of caloric deprivation led to behavioral alterations similar to these observed in the starvation of non-obese individuals. It’s entirely possible that weight reduction, instead of resulting in a normal state for morbid obese patients, results in an abnormal state resembling that of starved non-obese individuals.

In a study more than 50 people went through the months-long process of living at the hospital, 'starving' and losing weight, and every one of them had these physical and psychological signs of starvation,  There were a very few who didn’t rebound with every single pound again. 

The study likens the effect of leptin on brain changes when memories are stored. The brain almost seems to be developing a memory for the weight it wanted the animal to be … “It is at the interface of free will and determinism."

There is certainly a strong biological underpinning to our drive to eat and maintain certain weights. We knew that before and we still know it.

But now there is another layer of mechanisms by which things like hormones not only can affect the neurochemistry that affects how hungry you are but also can affect the wiring of your brain.

Hormones that regulate hunger and satiety, primarily leptin, though others such as ghrelin, PYY, and AgRP.  A child born without leptin, who had an insatiable appetite. She grew tremendously obese until she was given leptin injections, after which her appetite and size returned to normal. Researchers drew hope from her experience that leptin injections would become the key to weight control for the obese. 

Unfortunately, experiments didn’t bear this simple solution out and it now appears that the leptin pathway is a complicated system with potential for disruption at many steps along the chain.

The intriguing findings about leptin are that it also seems to have the potential to reshape and rewire the brain, permanently changing a person’s weight and appetite. Perhaps there are critical times in a person’s life – perhaps in infancy? – when the brain is wired for obesity and morbid obesity. 

People live in the moment. They lose weight in the short term and say that they’ve exercised willpower … it appears that over the long term, the basic drive wins out. As just as willpower can’t make fat people thin, a lack of it does not make naturally thin people fat. 

Some people like morbidly obese mice were unable to make enough of the satiety substance, while others may be like the diabetic mice, making plenty of the substance but failing to respond to it. Maybe there are degrees of an ability to make or respond to the substance, which is why some people are morbidly obese, some are overweight, and others are naturally thin.

Archived