Linger Long

MeadowLily

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't believe in dieting anymore.   

When a child is given real food and left to honor his hunger cues,  he does not develop a messed up relationship with food.  It's only when the child starts dieting, restricting and doing whacky things to his body that everything goes sour.  

After years of dieting,  the dopamine center can't get enough hits from truckloads of food to satisfy itself.  It wants more and more and more.  Throw dieting and over-restriction into the mix and there's the food reckoning that's coming around the bend.   The course correction.  

After more dieting,  that dopamine center wants hit after hit after hit of any kind of food and preferably all of the wrong kinds of food to be satisfied.  But it's never really satisified.  It's like a big black hole.

Dieting starts the wheels in motion and they're headed off of the cliff.   People who never started dieting or restricting maintain their optimum setpoints for an entire lifetime.  These people really do exist.   That four-letter word "diet" is not in their vocabulary.

They don't live for the binge or think about food all of the live-long day.  They move and breathe and enjoy their being.   They are the freest people on the face of the earth.   Foodwise, anyway.  They're not under the control or power of another.  Other people do not dictate to them what they will or will not eat.   They're not impeded by holidays.  They're truly free.

Food freedom means a returning back to your childhood days before anyone messed with your head or told you that you needed to go on a diet.   Dieting does more damage to a child than allowing them to honor their hunger with real foods.

I loathe dieting and how it messes with peoples heads.  They become obsessed, disordered and out-of-control.   It may take years to come back to yourself.  Unhampered, unrestricted, clear and open like a free flowing stream of mountain water.   

The dopamine center that's all messed up demands that you entertain it and stuff it until it's loaded up with whopping boatloads of play foods.  It wants it and it wants it now.   The cues may be so skewed in the dopamine center that the tolerances for enormous quantities keeps growing as the years go by.

This may take years to get to a point of normality.   If we had only known that dieting would destruct the dopamine center's ability to work properly.  It's major suckage for those that are reaping those unjust rewards.

Don't diet.  Don't ever start.   If you're still out there with normal hunger cues...be ever so grateful.  Don't mess with nature.   For everyone else,  don't go back to dieting.  Get off that merry-go-round for good.  You have to.  Your dopamine center may scream and pitch a ring-tailed fit but keep eating real foods.  It's the only way to get back what you've lost.  

There is life after binge eating.    That sad truth is that 2 out of 10 go back to binge eating.  It is an enormous mental battle because of the huge amounts of dopamine it takes to satisfy that high tolerance caused by a lifetime of food addiction.

How many people have thought that after months of normality they can fall back into binge eating and another hit of dopamine is released into those dormant gates in the brain.  They are wakened and that tolerance is just as high as it always was.

Our brain doesn't know if we're feeding it whiskey, wine, vodka, or multi-crap...all it cares about is the end result that any of those substances produces.

A binge eater or alcoholic grows those extra gates in the brain for training the brain to rely on unnatural substances/chemicals that alter the chemical makeup in the brain.  When you get off the food addiction (alcoholic) merry-go-round you're left with a bunch of synopsis and receptors that are misfiring. 

Our brains have to repair all of the damage from a lifetime of food addiction, binge or thrill eating, (alcoholism, etc.) that we did to it by rearranging the gates.  Brains take a long time to defragment. 

People who relapse before the brain is given an opportunity to heal  can fall back into their former lifestyle of addiction before they know what hit them.   There is life after food addiction but it may never be the same as it was before all of the addiction started. 

It can take so long to feel normal that many relapse to the food/alcohol induced state they were accustomed to.  It is not because they are weak but because of the altered gateways.

It will be rewarding but it will take conscious support/counsel for a continued successful mental recovery. 

• 2 weeks later...

Group weigh-ins are some of the most destructive form of monitoring.   For those that are already self-conscious about their weight, this public exposure can be degrading and embarrassing. If there is a legitimate reason for weigh-ins it should be done privately by a professional and not in front of the 'classroom'.

GrapesWrath_027Pyxurz.jpg

jmcbn,   I'm still having troubles looking at the threads.  I'm in safemode, if I try anything that's not current, it blows me right outta the water.

jmcbn,  sister from a different mister.   Hostess with the mostess.   Your Lady Royal ModShip.  Bear fixed the most outstanding Beef Stew Soup we've ever had.   We started with a beef roast of a deluxe nature from a neighboring rancher.  It was superb.  He added bone broth and vege and in your honorable mention.. 2 cups of your Big G for richness.  Fresh herbs.  Yes, there was a tad of barley.

Maw and Paw lurved it.  It's healing and I would call it good medicine.  

I'm looking forward to your annual New Year's thread where you can ramble and roam around heaven all day...Ireland.   We have a young relative headed to London for Christmas.  Can you think of a good eatin' place?  It's been awhile since I've been there.   All I can remember was boiled meat and cabbage, taters.

Jamie Oliver has some high-end joints but we're looking for reasonable places.   You've been around.  Would appreciate your thoughts and ideas.  You flat out know your stuff.   

Long time no see.  I still can't see much but I made it here.    Come back to us, it's Cold Mountain here. 

p539.jpg

Hellooooooo!! Long time indeed................... Wat'cha doin'? 

Bear's stew sounds perfect for the weather we're having here today - first proper ice on the car window this morning, and the roads & pavements were icy too... I saw a school boy take a corner on his bike and it just skidded across the ice under him...  :( 

Eateries in London - gosh - I used to travel there regularly but it's been about 3yrs now sadly.... And I spent most of my time in Pimlico/Victoria/Paddington area. There was a fabulous little coffee shop there called Fresh that did breakfast muffins the size of a baby's head - they put all kinds of things in those bad boys, and there was always a queue for a table.

Here's a link to the reviews on TripAdvisor.

There was also a fab Cypriot kebab place - take away at the front, small dining section to the rear - generous portions of very tasty, very well priced food - again a link to the reviews on TripAdvisor.

These might be out of their way, but if not they're both worth a visit. Neither is particularly W30 friendly, but if you know what you're doing you can find something that will work, just like anywhere really...

LOL My 'Annual Thread'? :ph34r: I wasn't even here this time last year, but yeah, I'm currently considering a New Year W30. I'm off work for a little over two weeks and I am very carefully planning my off roading, which as you know will only really involve alcohol, dairy & sugar. I'm cooking Christmas Dinner myself so I know I'll be good with that, I've pre-ordered my Paleo treats (enough for me, any guests, and a small special selection for the feral child's Gymnastics Coach - plus a few bonus coconut macaroons for anyone I deem special enough to share them with...  :wub: ), my mum is cooking dinner for all of us on Boxing Day and she is very familiar with my dietary quirks (as are most of my friends), and from there on in I'll just have to navigate the multi-crap in the same way that I always do - my aim is to stick to template meals as always, but with the kids off school, various days out/parties/invites on the cards, I know that I'll be ready for getting back on track come Jan 1st so watch this space - well, not >this< space per se 'cos this is your space obviously, but you know what I mean....  ;)  :D 

Here's lookin' at you kid. Thanks.   I'm still having huge probs with the forum.   The only way I could open this up was through an email that I'd saved from weeks ago.    I got in through the backdoor.  If I try to access straight on,  my security says there is a kashimoshti malware virus.  Please pass on.

I've forwarded onto google/avast.  I can't move on the threads.  Because I linked this thread in an email, I can open it back up.  Bizarre.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

Thank you for the London info, jmcbn.  You're a keeper, Sis.   Hay, I watched a darling TV movie about Dolly.  It's a heartbreaker and all true.   Here's the link where you can watch it.  Dolly's life story and everytime I hear that song about her coat,  I am going to be sobbing my eyes out now.  You'll see why.  

It's sweet and the little girl knocked it out of the park.  So did Jennifer.  Have your hankie ready.  Take extra special care of those boys now.    Come back to Cold Mountain when you can.  It's the only thing I can see.

I'll keep slipping in through the backdoor and I'll meet you there at the backgate.  You know the one, where we always meet....where Bear and I each grab you by an arm and leg and carrry you off to the house for a cuppa mossy green tea.   Ah, heck-a-toot,  he just throws you over his shoulder and packs you off like an olde Grizzly Bear.   Miss your, girl.   :lol: 

http://www.nbc.com/coat-of-many-colors/video/dolly-partons-coat-of-many-colors/2948111

Hellooooooo!! Long time indeed................... Wat'cha doin'? 

I had to take a trip down the Mighty Mississipp!  Whoa, Nelly.  I must have tabbed through a 100 W30 tabs at the bottom of pages to get back here.   As soon as I hit the homepage. Boom,  I'm gone.  Shut my computer down, reboot and go back to that email.  I sent this link to myself in an email and I was able to come back.   Ha!   There is a strong will.

Okay.  I can meet you here.   I know your daily drill.  Scratcher, kids, batch cooking, daily euphoria bump at the gym.  Someday,  I hope to see the main forum.  Until then, catch you here on the flip-flop.

Fingers and toes crossed the link will hold up.

I promise you.  The true Dolly movie will break your heart into smithereens. I can see why she was plucked out to be a famous plucker/songwriter/songbird.  A brilliant light.

Expecting some snow.  For the most part, it's been nothing but a severely wind-blown winter.  The 50-70 mph gusts have blown all of the snowstorms out of here.  Not good come the summer.  No siree.   Not enough food for the bears last summer and they were hanging around well past their bedtime.  They didn't hit their scratchers until this month.

that's craycray.  They were roaming around and spooking us.  Not so nice before hibernation and they were hungry.  Berry crop was a flop.

I'll let you go.   dont-go-smiley.gif?1292867584

did-i-miss-smiley.gif?1292867581I won't know what I'm missing because I can't go back to those threads I was on earlier today.  May the force be with you,  jmcbn.   Post On,  Post On.  

I'm really going now.   Hug those sons tight.  

I did a test just to make sure I could make it back here.  I tried the homepage, crashed and burned.  Reboot.

Go to email, use my link.   Login works but I have to stay in my own lane.  I can see my profile and I can even change an avatar photo...bizarre that works but just as soon I try to see main forum.  Gone Girl.

Let me know if anyone is eating worms or bugs.  eating1-smiley.gif?1292867587  You'll have to clue me in. chat-smiley.gif?1292867567  I'll just stick with pinecones and dirt,  lawn clippings and old shoes.  Give my regards to Broadway or the Slim Pickin's Way.  Ha.  In a way, computer-losy-smiley.gif?1292867574  this is hilarious. computer-hit-smiley.gif?1292867574

I'm camped herefreez-in1-smiley.gif?1292867600by the river. firewood-smiley.gif?1292867594  Just milling around and shooting the breeze with the

Universe.  earth-to-smiley.gif?1292867587   Hanging by a thread, literally and waiting for a lil reverb. yodel-smiley.gif?1292867705

Archived