How do I *know* I'm "fat-adapted"?

I keep seeing the term "fat-adapted" being thrown around here. What does it *really* mean?  I take it to mean that my body is capable of burning dietary (and stored?) fat as a fuel source, as well as carbohydrates.

How do I know if I am truly fat-adapted, short of a blood or breath test?

If I *am* fat-adapted, can I subsequently "shut it off" and no longer be fat adapted if I start eating more carbs in the form of grains or legumes?  Will my body then STOP burning fat for fuel and instead store dietary fat?

Do vegetarians on the Whole30 ever get fat-adapted?

So many questions!  I appreciate your answers, insights, and resources you can guide me to.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

One way to determine if you are fat adapted is if you are comfortably going 4-5hrs (& sometimes longer) between meals without feeling 'hangry' or feeling that stomach grumbling urgent need to eat. I can go from breakfast @ 6:30am for instance right up until lunch @ 1:30pm and only really start to think about food around 1pm.

It's in this 4-5hr window between each of your meals that the body turns to fat stores, so if you are regularly snacking between meals you're less likely to be fat adapted as (depending on your snacks) you're still providing your body with a constant supply of carbs to burn. And yes, it's possible for vegetarians to reach this state too.

If, post Whole30, you decide to go back to old eating habits - ie. higher carb intake, regular snacks etc., then it's likely you'll go back to being carb burning.

Yup.

Fat adapted & ketosis (where the diet is high fat & much lower carb) are two entirely different things.

Fat adapted is the ability to burn both fat & glucose for energy/fuel.

Ketosis is where the body does not have enough glucose for energy and starts to break down fat stores instead, producing a build up of ketones in the body, which is where the name comes from.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Excellent question - I've wondered this too!

I've been playing with my mom's glucometer while she is in town.  My fasting sugars are coming in at 70-80 and post meal at 80-90.  Would this imply fat adaption?  I still get hungry between meals but its manageable (stomach growling but I'm not "hangry" and don't get that light headed feeling).  If one looks at my journal he/she will know I'm not a dainty eater so I don't know if I should be eating more...

I'm not the expert on BG levels here, but IMHO if you are having steady readings throughout the day (which you would certainly appear to be), accompanied by steady levels of energy, and if you can easily stretch to 4-5hrs (or longer) without any great difficulty then it's safe to say you're fat adapted  :)

Archived