Starting November 24th

NotCheese

Freaked out at committing because I have a history of false starts at most things, especially fitness ones.

Your actions up until now created the version of you that exists now.  They have no hold on the version of you that you want to create, unless you give the past that power.

Clean slate. Decide to commit. Brainstorm a list of all the reasons why you want to do a Whole30 now, and review that list daily.

Identify everything you need in place to keep you on track. Then do the Whole30 one day at a time, one meal at a time if you have to.

Make this time different: you can do it!

If the dates work out that a mid-week start is best for you, then you'd be nuts to NOT start mid-week. :D

Since you are looking at your calendar, try to anticipate which days are going to have challenges and figure out ahead of time how you are going to handle them. Plus, always keep a good supply of compliant food in your fridge (cooked meat/eggs/fish, several kinds of chopped &/or cooked vegs, compliant mayonnaise/olives/ghee, a blended veg soup) so that you will always have something to eat and most especially something that you can grab at a moment's notice. On the days when you are invited out to a restaurant grab a spoonful of mayo, take a mug of veg soup to drink on the way, and plan to order a dry-grilled steak with a plain salad when you get there. On the days when you really, really want to throw in the towel, grab some of your prepped food, and then add at least two more bites of everything (so you are eating at or above the template quantities) and promise yourself you will eat ALL of that FIRST. Sip a cup of your favourite tea after you have finish this big serving of compliant food while you read (and savour) a favourite book. If you still want to go off-plan, go for a walk or plan your next (compliant) meal, ensuring you are including foods that you love (avocado? mayo? salmon?).

Read the forums regular, and always ask for help when you need it. 30 days is not so bad. You deserve this gift.

I promise you that you can do this, and that you will love yourself for having done it.

Hey all-I posted on another thread that doesn't appear to be too active...so I thought I'd join you all as well, if that's OK!?!? This will be my 2nd W30, I started Sunday the 23rd...rolling through a whopping day 2 here :)

I expect this time of year will be extra challenging, but I'm trying to remain focused on the fact that I will find the holidays VASTLY more enjoyable if I give up a few food groups. I want to focus on enjoying people, not being focused on food as entertainment.

Pyrotek, good luck with your thyroid stuff. My mom struggles with that too, and I know the 'clean' eating has a big impact for her.

Anyone have any creative ideas for navigating thanksgiving dinner!?!?

Hello all!! I started yesterday. My day 1 went great!! I already drink my coffee black, so that was a breeze...I never added back the sugar or dairy from my Last whole 30. Preparation is the key to success!! It makes it easier for me. Well, on to day 2. I am up early packing my food and cooler for the day while at work!! I wish everyone stating tO'Day the best!

stravajunkie, thank you. I am working on it!

I brought a few extra nibbles to tie me over this afternoon so we will see how it goes.  My biggest hurdle has always been breakfast so this week I'm trying something different.  I have been eating shredded rotisserie chicken breast  with either grapes or an apple on the side and it's actually working.  When teamed with my big container of water, it's actually quite filling.  I'm not always an egg person so breakfast during the week is sometimes a struggle.  Weekends are fine because I have pork sausage and spinach with nuts for breakfast so that's never a problem...Have a great day everyone! 

I brought a few extra nibbles to tie me over this afternoon so we will see how it goes.  My biggest hurdle has always been breakfast so this week I'm trying something different.  I have been eating shredded rotisserie chicken breast  with either grapes or an apple on the side and it's actually working.  When teamed with my big container of water, it's actually quite filling.  I'm not always an egg person so breakfast during the week is sometimes a struggle.  Weekends are fine because I have pork sausage and spinach with nuts for breakfast so that's never a problem...Have a great day everyone! 

Remember - don't let the fruit push the veggies off of your plate - aim for 1-3 cups of veg with every meal with 3 being optimal. Then, if you still have room for more, feel free to munch on your grapes/apple.

As for snacks build your meals so that they're big enough to keep you going until the next one - your digestive system will benefit from the down time & your body will soon learn to tap into your fuel stores for fuel.... 

It's a learning curve I know, but it's so worth it when you get there!  :)

Thanks so much for saying hello everyone! It's really nice to have some more people in the same boat.

Day 1 was fine apart from really missing my tea (must have milk in it or it's not the same). Only I'd ordered a load of meat online and the delivery guy didn't even ring the bell. So a huge palaver to get it, and sorting it did throw the rest of my schedule out of wack. That plus a work crisis meant I was up 'til 2am.

Which I really regretted this morning (Day 2) because boy did I get the hangover that everyone has talked about! Even paracetamol / ibuprofen every couple of hours barely takes the edge off. And I've felt so sick I couldn't even face eating most of the day. Seems to be wearing off now, thankfully.

Now I'm making salmon (yum!) but I really need to make some mayonnaise to go with it...

Good luck everyone hope your days are going well!

Um... Also, I'm sorry but I don't have any Thanksgiving tips as we don't celebrate it here. Hopefully your families / loved ones will be happy to be supportive. That's always the hardest with healthy eating in the holidays. I have to avoid certain people because they take it really personally.

Hello all!! I hope everyone is doing well. Today starts my day 5 . I am so proud of myself!!! I went to my mom's for Thanksgiving, and I did NOT deviate!! I was 100%. Even though everyone tryes to derail me. I am feeling great. I wish everyone a happy and healthy day.

Pyrotek, that is so fantastic! Well done you for sticking to the plan in the face of some major temptation.

I've just finished my day 4 and am really frustratingly low energy and still have this almost-headache hanging around. On the other hand, I am feeling more like eating. So hopefully this is a sign of a turn for the positive.

Hmmmm... So my headache is finally fading, only to be replaced by all of the lovely gut distress that per timeline is about 3-4 days early. I am trying to remind myself (over the loud, and rather musical gurgling of my stomach) that this too shall pass, and that its early onset bodes well for he future. (Please don't disillusion me or I am likely to plunge headfirst into a vat of yoghurt.)

Also, sadly, my whole fridge is full of lovely delicious food which, due to above-mentioned stomach symphony, I. Do. Not. Want. To. Eat. And my tiny freezer is full. Anyone fancy dinner? I have paleo-ified chicken adobo, chicken tinola, green chicken, garlic chicken patties (theme: butcher's had a special), ham and cabbage stew, meatballs, and a bit of salmon.

I am glad to see that things are going well for you!! I am also having some major digestive distress. However, I have to start over!!! However, I have to star over!!I just found out that the turkey, and leftovers I have been eating since

Thanksgiving was injected with butter!!!!

The turkey was so moist and delioous. I asked my mother what brand,can then she told me that she had injected the meat with butter during the cooking! Oh well. ...

Digestive distress can be caused by a number of things.... Off the top of my head some usual culprits are:

Too many nuts/nut butters/dried fruits

Cruciferous Veg

Raw veg

Raw cruciferous veg - double whammy!!

Sensitivity to foods with high FODMAPs

Too much seltzer

Also, if eating a lot of animal protein is new to you then you may fare better including a digestive enzyme or some fermented foods like kombucha, sauerkraut etc - although given that sauerkraut is made from cabbage it can also cause distress for some....

If any of you would like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake along with activity/sleep/stress levels we can take a look and maybe suggest some possible tweaks.

In the meantime make sure you are drinking enough water - the recommendation being half an ounce per pound of body weight, daily.

Sorry to hear your efforts were torpedoed by a random turkey, Pyrotek. And good on you for being honest and starting again!

Thanks for the advice jmcbn. I think it was just a random thing yesterday, possibly just because my body was in revolt in general. Today I'm back to normalish and and SO relieved because I want to eat again, and eat the food I cooked, which makes me v happy. Can't remember offhand what I ate yesterday, but it wasn't a lot as I felt rubbish and didn't want to eat (felt like being sick, etc.) Today was:

1. Bowl paleo-ified (ie no soya sauce) chicken tinola, which is basically chicken & veg soup made with homemade stock, but with extra garlic, ginger and finished with lemon. Coffee with coconut milk x2

2. Another bowl of soup. Salad, mostly veggies with a bit of chicken and EVOO and a spoon of sunflower seeds on top.

3. Big bowl of stew made with ham hock, cabbage, side of sauerkraut, and on top of steamed cauliflower. All cooked for aaaaages so no issues with digesting this lot.

Drinks: about 8 glasses water, 4 cups black coffee. (Should cut down but W30 is enough vices to tackle at once!)

Next challenge: navigating a 2 day training course away from home! Have packed up 2 meals for tomorrow, know I have a fridge at the venue, and fingers crossed I can forage for enough for a decent breakfast and lunch locally.

Looking on it as training practice for next week's 2 days' away from home but with our work team Holiday meal as well!

Hi guys!

It's been a bit insane around here-the whole family had the flu over the holidays, so um, haven't had time to post-or do anything else :)

But still here...

Pyrotek, are you going to continue with this thread??? That stinks about the turkey...not helpful.

Notcheese, good luck with your travels....

My goal for today is to really work on staying away from the munching/snacking. I find myself have a 'few' (lots!) of nuts during the day, especially during meal prep when I'm genuinely hungry. The problem is, I arrive at the meal pretty much full-and then don't eat the good meat/veggies that I actually need. I know from experience that being very strict with myself about sticking to the template is a huge part of winning at this W30 thing. It's a big deal, and I feel so much better when I eat 3 good meals and DO NOT SNACK. I snack because I'm wanting energy, but the result is less energy, not more.

I'm also getting back into riding (road and mtn bike), because that's how I maintain my sanity. But feeling some stress about where to fit it in the schedule...and I know I'll have a bit of an adjustment based on the way I'm eating right now. But I also know it DOES work-I did a W15 this summer, while doing some really hard core mtn biking, and it was great-just have to stick with it and not talk myself into 'needing carbs' (i.e. craving junk) b/c of riding....

Good luck today everyone!

Hey Stravajunkie, how did the not-snacking go? And the biking??

Alas, I have just pressed the restart button on my W30. I was doing sooooo well. The breakfast on the train, the snacks, the fish and salad in the canteen, the not eating chips with my dinner omelette (the only W30 thing on the menu) even when they arrived on my plate after I asked for them to be replaced with salad.

And then, today on my way back, my stupid train was stuck for an hour outside Wembley because of a power failure and I was sooooo hungry and had to rush off and decided to get something in the station. And I avoided all the bready goodness and got stew and mash and took one bite and realised the mash had butter in it. But I was too hungry and ate it anyhow.

Hey ho, not beating myself up. The stew was good, and I had a bunch of things to do until 10 tonight. So I had a proper dinner tonight when I came home. And I'll start again tomorrow and spend the weekend thinking through snacks that keep, and are meal-level in terms of satiety.

This is going to be a ranting whiny hyperbolic moan, because my dumb jerkbrain has decided this is the morning (Day 4 of restart, day 13 since I started) to torture me with a few things.

Apologies for the lack of positivity, but I suspect hardly anyone reads this stuff anyhow. So throwing my words into the wind. Think of me as the angry person with mad hair ringing a bell and shouting at people about aliens on a street corner if that helps, and ignore me. Also, really and truly, I know how ridiculous I'm being and that this too shall pass but I also know that a good rant helps me. So this is a little space for angry food ranting.

1. Dammit I hate chicken soup. I made way too much of it, and I am still eating it 6 days later because there is not enough room in the freezer. It is boring. It is stupid. It is mooshy and chewy and gross. *kicks rocks*.

2. Coconut aminos does not taste REMOTELY like soya sauce. Stop saying this. Granted, it's tasty, but it's light and sweet. Soya sauce is dark and salty and umamiiiiiii. CA is more like a light kecap manis. I've found a recipe for paleo soya sauce online but can't have it because a) it contains molasses, and B) I'm not sure I trust the recipe and I can't handle the disappointment. Re (a) I am considering a couple of dates in desperation if I can figure out how to purée them well enough, and I suspect quality of the beef stock will make a huge difference.

3. Also, sweet potatoes do and have always tasted like candy and are therefore gross unless eaten in moderation. Stop suggesting that I put them on top of delicious beef and ruining the whole thing.

4. Last but far from least. I have no idea if the cauliflowers in this country are different to cauliflowers in the US, but (pardon the shouting but I get emotional about potatoes) CAULIFLOWER MASH IS VILE AND DISGUSTING AND TASTES NOTHING LIKE MASH AND STOP TELLING ME THIS. Seriously, it is horrible. I have tried repeatedly over years and this has never worked. Using garlic and onion powder does nothing to disguise the horrible sulphurous taste, and instead makes it taste like Satan's morning-after curry farts. Basically the more tiny the cauli particles the more nasty it gets. Even a metric tonne of cheese (I have tried) isn't going to make this work. Ever.

Archived