Your response to family concerns of clogged arteries from beef?

Tracy R.

My sister and I are total opposites. She is considering going octolactovegetarian as I embrace giving up grains, dairy and soy. She texted me about clogged arteries from eating beef more than two times a week. What do you tell people that say stuff like that to you? Any website links I could send to her?

If you aren't 100% confident of the science (and often times even if you are) it's generally best to be non-committal and try to change the topic as quickly as possible. Something like, "I appreciate your concern, but the sources and studies that I have read lead me to believe those concerns are unfounded. I'm seeing how this works for me"

If they ask about which sources, you could grab anything from the Cholesterol and Health website run by Chris Masterjohn. http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/

Chris kresser also has some good ones.

I'm horrible at science, so I don't engage with people. I simply say "I am feeling wonderful and this is what I am doing now". It's tough when people target questions. You should support her (if you can) and she should support you (if she can). :)

Archived